• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK DISCUSSION* |OT| Season 7 - [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

DoomGyver

Okay guys, here's how its going to go. Dany defeats Cersi, the WW defeat Jon and the north, Dany, her dragons, and half of the kingdom die defeating the WW. Everyone is dead and Gendry finally finds land which ends up being the blackwater and arrives at kings landing. Becomes king. the end.

Because to a majority of the population of Westeros, Targaryen = Bad.

I don't think it would be a bad narrative move, because it 100% makes sense from Jon's perspective, but none of his people would be happy with it.

Because he would no longer be the King in the North. The Northerns don't want to be beholden to King's Landing anymore.

I think it's because the North and South of Westeros are like the West and East Coast of hip hop.

-The North has been independent since Ned died
-Robb lost a huge chunk of the Northern population fighting a Southern war and bending to Daenerys also means fighting for her.
-Neither know it but Dany isn't the last Dragon or the one with the best claim to the Iron Throne or Targaryen dynasty. Rhaegar's son >> Mad King's daughter.

that makes sense too.

this post pretty much sums things up on my end
It makes sense, why would that be a breaking point for anyone? It's not like Jon wants the Iron Throne, he's just pragmatic after seeing and fighting the white walkers.

Sansa is playing Littlefinger. The whole show she puts on in these townhalls is for him.

Also Jon is obviously doing the right thing given the situation.

This is on point. Littile finger fucked up when he told Sansa what he wanted. In season 5 he said never let anyone know what your intentions are, then he goes and tells her in the season finale last year. Its a rope-a-dope.

This is on point. Littile finger fucked up when he told Sansa what he wanted. In season 5 he said never let anyone know what your intentions are, then he goes and tells her in the season finale last year. Its a rope-a-dope.

Unless it's not really what he wants but uses as a decoy.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
-- Danny: Definitely think we're seeing a touch of the madness, but I think we always will because we know her family's history. I thought the scene establishing her relationship with Varys showed this most, esp. with her hints of how he'd die. Obviously she's right to question the one person who survives multiple kingdoms.

-- Jon: Almost getting sick of the 'Jon has to make a dumb speech defending a terrible decision none of his followers agree with' cliche that has been his entire character for years now. I know the show needs to get Jon and Danny in the same room but for a split second I was SOOOO rooting for a Sansa + Danny + Olenna + Yara scene where they just get real real about being women in that world, you know? That could've been great -- esp. w/ reuniting Olenna + Sansa.

-- Arya: The two scenes -- one, meeting up with Hot Pie and two, seeing either Nymeria or something very like Nymeria, was all about establishing that she has been singularly driven by revenge and has herself become a monster that her own friend and wolf don't recognize. Between the frost on her breath, the slow heartbeat, and the dreamlike surroundings near the campfire, I actually thought we were seeing her death scene. Which I just realized is probably coming this season. NoOOOOO

-- Sam: No idea what the long play is with Jorah but gosh it sure would be convenient if Jon's most loyal maester-type joined forces with Danny's most loyal friendzone, I mean if only for traveling purposes.

-- Cersei: Someone else pointed it out but the Cersei coalition, save Jaime, is 100% way too cartoonishly evil. She's a monster surrounded by monsters, and not a 2nd note to any of those characters. Not Euron, not the Mountain, not Qyburn. Again, except for Jaime, whom I expect will defect to re-join Tyrion instead of becoming the Queenslayer this time, none of these characters are even slightly redeemable and are almost so evil they're boring. I hope we get a bit more flavor here before all is said and done.

-- Theon: Well hello, heir to the Iron Islands. No idea where he fits into all this now, assuming Yara is dead and the fleet is gone. I do want SOME bit of redemptive arc, though. Just something to show that victims suffering from monstrous atrocities can still have agency and dignity in their lives as they recover.

Asides:
-- So glad the sandsnakes are done. I'll miss the momma snake, but I expect her to pop back up at King's Landing if that's who Euron takes. Maybe he's taking Yara too.

-- Amazing battle scene in an otherwise visually jarring episode between the storm, the dire wolf, and a couple others where the outline on the character was a little too sharp to be anything but a greenscreen.

-- [comment about the people of Westeros being the real stars of the world, via scenes like Hot Pie, Sandor's flashback, Ed Sheeran's band of merry Lannisters ... but how much better they could all show the toll of suffering that the ongoing wars have cost the commoners]

molnizzle

Jon's gonna refuse to bend the knee, Dany will send Grey Worm after him and a dragon will swoop down in front of Jon to protect him. Then she'll believe him, and they'll probably fuck because it's GoT.

It is known.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Bad pussy survives and I got to see nice boobies!

Thus a good episode.

Wasn't a bad episode, but we've definitely hit the point where it's starting to feel like cliff notes. Like I expected

D&D should have written the Iron Island plot differently considering how hard it is to put it past disbelief.

I mean, in all honesty why didn't Yara just straight up have a rebellion. If they had enough man power to take a portion of the fleet large enough to not initiate an immediate follow, they probably could have just went "fuck this" and killed people who were falling the other guy.

Also, instead of having an entire fleet built in a matter of like half a year (at most), they should have simply made Yara/Theon's crew sabotage the rest of the fleet to buy them time.

No. Cersei isn't fun. I can't remember what season it was, but Tywin pegged her in that season when he said that she wasn't as clever as she thinks she is. At this point, she's the Mad Queen, willing to do anything and everything to gain and hold on to her power.

Second, no, I don't think she's layered. Her entire character has been a pompous, spoiled, privileged shit, willing to go to war and throw seven kingdoms into chaos just because she wanted to fuck her brother. I don't much care for Jamie either, but HE'S the one who has some nuance. He's not into cruelty for the sake of it, tries to save lives when he can, bore the title of Kingslayer because he saved all of King's Landing, saved Tyrion and treated him like an actual person, ect. As I said before, I feel like there's going to be a moment where she's gonna betray Jamie too, because in the end, she only cares for herself. She even proved that last season. She claims to love her children, but it was more important for her to consolidate her power and have her rivals defeated than it was for her to just back off and let Tommen be happy. She's directly responsible for his suicide. She's the worst.

THAT BEING SAID:

The fact that I despise her so much shows how well Lena Heady is doing with her. She's one of the best bad guys; one you don't (or at least I don't) sympathize with and want to see her fall. I wanted Arya to kill her, but now she's going back to Winterfell. Hopefully something horrid doesn't happen to her on the way.

Also, I heard the word "books" in that video and immediately closed it. :p

Yup.

Yeah she did a great job with this villain, and yeah she's had plenty of stuff to shape her this way but that doesn't take away from how evil she is in what she usually does.

-- Danny: Definitely think we're seeing a touch of the madness, but I think we always will because we know her family's history. I thought the scene establishing her relationship with Varys showed this most, esp. with her hints of how he'd die. Obviously she's right to question the one person who survives multiple kingdoms.
I'm not seeing this. She was perfectly in line with her comments and line of questioning. She even took the time to listen to Olenna

Is that what people are talking about? Her questioning Varys like that?

Pastry

Banned
So so episode for me.

Theon will get his moment eventually I guess.

Littlefinger's big reveal will be interesting but I think somehow Sansa will figure out to play him and take him out of the picture at the end of the season.

Jon better not bend his knee.

Once again hate every scene with Emelia Clarke. Can't tell if I don't like her acting or I think she's just an awfully written character.

Disgraced

I'm not seeing this. She was perfectly in line with her comments and line of questioning. She even took the time to listen to Olenna

I think it's the threat at the end that people see ambiguity in.

I think the only thing I heard was the burn varys alive part that would give people that mindset

KHarvey16

Unless it's not really what he wants but uses as a decoy.

I think she knows what he really wants and I'm not sure she thinks it's her.

-- Jon: Almost getting sick of the 'Jon has to make a dumb speech defending a terrible decision none of his followers agree with' cliche that has been his entire character for years now. I know the show needs to get Jon and Danny in the same room but for a split second I was SOOOO rooting for a Sansa + Danny + Olenna + Yara scene where they just get real real about being women in that world, you know? That could've been great -- esp. w/ reuniting Olenna + Sansa.

His followers don't know enough to realize Jon is making the right decision.

100% agree. I'm not sure how anyone could think Dany was out of line there.

Neece

I think it's moreso her embracing her fire and blood ancestry. "If you betray me I'll burn you alive."

Burning people alive has a very negative connotation to people in Westeros. It's not "clean" like a beheading. It's what mad kings did to enemies.

Omadahl

Banned
This show is slowly sinking into soap opera levels of writing and pacing. Why did we need 10 minutes of Grey Worm and what's her face? Why didn't Arya know about her brother already? Why is the guy playing Euron the most over-acting anime villain? The only thing we're missing from him is a close-up of his tongue while he licks blood off of his axe.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Littlefinger is going to go out like Burke from Aliens. Going to hide down in the catacombs when Winterfell is under siege and the Night King is going to raise the dead in the crypts. Undead Ned is going to finish Littlefinger off.

Seesaw15

Man I thought we were going to go full Princess Mononoke for a second.
the-great-japanese-epic-from-studio-ghibli-princess-mononoke-1997-princess-mononoke.jpeg

Was a fun episode ruined by the end. I'm okay with a strong villain but the plot armor on this dude Ramsey level. And RIP Sand Snakes though it seems like they suffered from a case of character assassination from day one.

ScribbleD

LOL at anyone surprised Theon took another opportunity to show he's a cowardly screw up. No redeeming him. Also, Sansa being given any modicum of responsibility or power when she has done nothing but make the worst possible decisions at every turn for 6 seasons. Sansa and Reek are the worst. Always have been, always will be.

Zolo

I think it's moreso he embracing her fire and blood ancestry. "If you betray me I'll burn you alive."

Burning people alive has a very negative connotation to people in Westeros. It's not "clean" like a beheading. It's what mad kings did to enemies.

This is true. Stannis burning people was the main demonization used to describe him by his enemies.

Raw64life

I was dumb for thinking for a split second after Theon jumped that he had some clever plan or something. I lol'd when they cut to him just floating around aimlessly.

His followers don't know enough to realize Jon is making the right decision.

Yeah, they only seem to be partially acknowledging the full extent of the threat since they are still getting bogged down in some of the usual issues whenever Jon makes a decision to speed up their readiness. Looks like they still need to see it for themselves like Jon and some of his group have.

I think it's the threat at the end that people see ambiguity in.

Okay I guess it is that.

Because otherwise I thought the exchange was pretty fantastic with them both having some great lines toward each other.

I didn't really feel the battle scene at the end. I don't know if it was my internet being stupid, but the special effects weren't that impressive. Then you have to factor they shortened the season to have more special effects, and this was it?

Overall the episode was good. A lot of exposition and setting things up. But far away from the best this show has delivered.

televator

I think Theon jumping like a coward may be a ruse. He may be thinking ahead. If he charged his uncle, he might have killed Yara right there. By jumping he could live to save her another day.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
I think Theon jumping like a coward may be a ruse. He may be thinking ahead. If he charged his uncle, he might have killed Yara right there. By jumping he could live to save her another day.

I don't think he would've done all the Reek twitching, especially from seeing those people getting killed, if it was all a ruse. It's just Reek being Reek.

I just took it as his PTSD kicking back in and him reacting accordingly. I don't think Theon has some type of long con here outside of just trying to survive.

jett

D-Member

??

None of these characters will survive for long. The Sand Snakes are responsible for killing Cersei's daughter, and Yara represents a threat to Euron's claim as king of the Iron Islands. They're dead.

He jumped because he's a waste of life.

riotous

Banned
Theon jumping was definitely reek creeping through and not a ruse; but it leaves room for him saving his sister and finally redeeming himself.

My guess: he'll save her, and die in the process.

Xilium

To be fair the bad guys always seem to be the ones who don't suffer from the 'reality vs fiction tropes' of the GoT universe.

Most of the bad guys in this show are dead though (Boltens, Frays, Tywin, Joffrey, ect.) and the main one still around, Cersei, has lost a lot. Littlefinger is the only antagonist that hasn't lost much, which is reasonable since he largely works from the shadows.

I think people tend to confuse the good guys not always winning with the bad guys always winning. Neither are true. Like in the real world, both sides have their fair share of wins and losses.

I would think if Theon had no other part to play in future events they would have killed him right there. It was set up perfectly that if his story is done then Euron would have just cut him down.

The fact he's still alive makes me think he still must have some big purpose moving forward but I just really don't see what that would even be at this point. Ramsay is already dead so no "revenge" plot there, and now he's just floating out in the middle of the ocean with no real motivation / thing to do moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom