• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK DISCUSSION* |OT| Season 7 - [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

snap

Banned
Given how many years it's been of "bad guys always win in GoT" and how it seemed to start to turn around with the Battle of The Bastards last season it's a bit disappointing to see the show return to "bad guys always win."

Like, I thought with the show entering the home stretch, that'd start to change a bit.

btrboyev

Btw. I don't think that was Arya's direwolf. It makes the scene a little weird, but that direwolf we saw was way huge. Like bigger than Ghost when we last saw him and also Bran's direwolf as well last we saw him.

It was. The show has never been consistent with the size of the direwolves. Even in this episode the size seemed to change on the perspective they showed.

DoomGyver

Given how many years it's been of "bad guys always win in GoT" and how it seemed to start to turn around with the Battle of The Bastards last season it's a bit disappointing to see the show return to "bad guys always win."

Like, I thought with the show entering the home stretch, that'd start to change a bit.

If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops

It'd be pretty predictable if the good guys won all the time now. Now we can see how Cersei could win against Dany, where before there really wasn't any way she could do it.

Nameless

why is it such a big deal if Jon bends the knee?

-The North has been independent since Ned died
-Robb lost a huge chunk of the Northern population fighting a Southern war and bending to Daenerys also means fighting for her.
-Neither know it but Dany isn't the last Dragon or the one with the best claim to the Iron Throne or Targaryen dynasty. Rhaegar's son >> Mad King's daughter.

If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention.

I don't think it'll have a happy ending, but I think it will be positive overall. I can't remember who it was (either Martin or D&D) but one of them said it would be "bittersweet". So I think it'll be something unexpected, but still leaves us feeling mostly good.

No. Cersei isn't fun. I can't remember what season it was, but Tywin pegged her in that season when he said that she wasn't as clever as she thinks she is. At this point, she's the Mad Queen, willing to do anything and everything to gain and hold on to her power.

Second, no, I don't think she's layered. Her entire character has been a pompous, spoiled, privileged shit, willing to go to war and throw seven kingdoms into chaos just because she wanted to fuck her brother. I don't much care for Jamie either, but HE'S the one who has some nuance. He's not into cruelty for the sake of it, tries to save lives when he can, bore the title of Kingslayer because he saved all of King's Landing, saved Tyrion and treated him like an actual person, ect. As I said before, I feel like there's going to be a moment where she's gonna betray Jamie too, because in the end, she only cares for herself. She even proved that last season. She claims to love her children, but it was more important for her to consolidate her power and have her rivals defeated than it was for her to just back off and let Tommen be happy. She's directly responsible for his suicide. She's the worst.

THAT BEING SAID:

The fact that I despise her so much shows how well Lena Heady is doing with her. She's one of the best bad guys; one you don't (or at least I don't) sympathize with and want to see her fall. I wanted Arya to kill her, but now she's going back to Winterfell. Hopefully something horrid doesn't happen to her on the way.

Also, I heard the word "books" in that video and immediately closed it. :p

very good post

Astral Dog

Why the ending was awesome and there are still two seasons left it would be boring if the "good guys" win nonstop

-Robb lost a huge chunk of the Northern population fighting a Southern war and bending to Daenerys also means fighting for her.
-Neither know it but Dany isn't the last Dragon or the one with the best claim to the Iron Throne or Targaryen dynasty. Rhaegar's son >> Mad King's daughter.

I can't imagine their being enough time for a conflict between Jon and Dany to arise but I'd love for her to find out, and for Jon as well, just to see everyone's reaction. I don't think he would care, I'm sure she would though.

Loke13

To what? "Good guys always win"? "Good guys should just have everything handed to them and never face any sort of setback in their plans"?

Nameless

Only 11 episodes left.

However, I think it's fair to say that Danny is going to be forced to use her dragons to basically fuck everything up in order to win.

Queen of the ashes and all that.

Yup. We've already seen flashes of what's to come

pi8OmK.gif

razones-deberias-leer-cancion-hielo-fuego_6_2275497.jpg

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Sansa is so dumb she is being played by evil Littlefinger
Littlefinger is gonna pull something big soon. He was the major player in the last 5 seasons, and now he is reduced to making snide looks from the corner of the room, and making meaningful glances at Sansa. He is definitely not someone who is going to stand on the sidelines for much longer, but I don't see what his play is.

Yeah, I like them someone what, not enough cause they weren't on the screen a lot, but they totally killed a level minded ruler who didn't want to start a costly war over revenge. Especially since that duel was legit.

word, yeah. at least one of them could've came around or they could've revealed that they let their cousin go or something.

by duel you mean viper vs mountanin?

Astral Dog

To what? "Good guys always win"? "Good guys should just have everything handed to them and never face any sort of setback in their plans"?
Im rooting for Qyburn (?) Team Cersei And his dragonkilling arrows to give a good battle worthy of King's Landing 😃

Speevy

Banned
I think Littlefinger is starting to realize that the last thing people want to hear about are his clever machinations to turn house against house. They are in a fight for survival.

He'd be better served peddling his horseshit to Cersei, but he already betrayed her too.

McBryBry

Isn't Bran the only one who knows? Even if Jon believes him, that isn't automatically gonna make Dany bow to him.

Littlefinger is gonna pull something big soon. He was the major player in the last 5 seasons, and now he is reduced to making snide looks from the corner of the room, and making meaningful glances at Sansa. He is definitely not someone who is going to stand on the sidelines for much longer, but I don't see what his play is.

I love that about LF, we didn't know his play from early on and there was so much that happened in Westeros because of him that we didn't know about until S4.

There is no way he's going to just lose without something big happening because of him, there will be at least one big twist or shock from him that most people don't expect.

At least, I'd like to hope so.

There are two conflicting issues at play

The limited time of the series left and the obvious time jumping/async plot lines that takes place in each episode, and between episodes.

Realistically, if Danny found her way to Westeros a season ago, there would be more time to have constant struggle and battles edge her to going nuclear.

I don't mind people "warping" around the land, because it's implied that we're dealing with a timescale of weeks and months between scenes/episodes.

effzee

My prediction: Sansa does something stupid while Queen of the North only for Bran to show up and be crowned rightfull king.

Astral Dog

I fear the Night King is going to end him, he can't manipulate his way out of the dead army or plot against them he is done, that or Sansa will eventually be his undoing but she still has a lot to work on herself as she does everything Littlefinger wants without him even opening his mouth

I mean, I don't really agree, especially considering what happened last season and the one before with Margarey. I don't feel like she was trying to protect Tommen, I feel like she was afraid of losing her position, similar to how she started behaving when Joffery stopped listening to her. I actually used to like her quite a bit at first, but she's looking more and more like the Mad King's true successor as time goes on, and while blowing up the Sept was fucking awesome, Tommen didn't deserve that. He just wanted to be a good king with his waifu. :(

But I'll concede that she was much more enjoyable in earlier seasons, and "I choose violence" is one of the best lines in the entire series.

I need to give the entire series a rewatch. My GoT-Fu is getting a little weak. I had meant to do it before the new seson started, but I got all caught up in FFXIV. :(

exactly. she knew that Joffrey was a monster, yet puts him on the iron throne. She knew she'd remain in power that way.

She feels Margery is manipulative, well Margery was a way better influence on Tommen than her evil psycho ass.

Then killed her plus 100+ other innocent people, knowing and not caring about Tommen's feelings.

She loves power more than her children.

CornDogg

The "Inside the Episode" bit that runs after the episode helped clear up some confusion I had from the Nymeria scene. I took the "It's not you" line to mean it wasn't actually Nymeria, but turns out it's a call back to a line between Ned and Arya in S1.

televator

Danny's dialogue was fantastic in this episode. Jon won't bend the knee. He'll call her bluff. "What'll you do? Burn me like your dad burned my grandpa? That shit is bad luck."

I was rooting for Euron. Is that wrong? Fuck Dorne.

He's proving to be a fun villain. A little bit like the Joker. I like him in that sense, too. He's the kind of devil that does his own killing and enjoys it and you can enjoy watching him do it.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Anyone get an ominous feeling when Jon nodded to Sansa as he was preparing to leave Winterfell that it's like it may be the last time they see each other?

Once Jon goes to Dragonstone, who knows what he gets wrapped up in and if he'll even make it back to Winterfell.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Danny's dialogue was fantastic in this episode. Jon won't bend the knee. He'll call her bluff. "What'll you do? Burn me like your dad burned my grandpa? That shit is bad luck."

He's proving to be a fun villain. A little bit like the Joker. I like him in that sense, too. He's the kind of devil that does his own killing and enjoys it and you can enjoy watching him do it.
He'll try to burn him and it won't do it half-shit! The other half will be burned and it'll die.

Nameless

Isn't Bran the only one who knows? Even if Jon believes him, that isn't automatically gonna make Dany bow to him.

Of course not. But it would be significant for the last two Targaryens to meet only for the rightful monarch to bend the knee. And if Jon knew of his lineage he'd have... options if Dany was too concerned with the Iron Throne to aid him in the true war.

KHarvey16

Sansa is playing Littlefinger. The whole show she puts on in these townhalls is for him.

Also Jon is obviously doing the right thing given the situation.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
To be fair the bad guys always seem to be the ones who don't suffer from the 'reality vs fiction tropes' of the GoT universe.

Anyone get an ominous feeling when Jon nodded to Sansa as he was preparing to leave Winterfell that it's like it may be the last time they see each other?

Once Jon goes to Dragonstone, who knows what he gets wrapped up in and if he'll even make it back to Winterfell.

I dont think hes coming back this season. Bran, Sansa and Arya are all going to end up there, but I dont see John meeting them all till next year. That reunion has the last season event written all over it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom