• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones - Season 2 - George RR Martin's Song of Ice and Fire - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vodh

Its funny hearing this sentiment so much online. Almost exclusively from men.

In my own experience every female viewer i've ever talked to finds her story the most fascinating and interesting.

Not saying one is right or wrong, but I actually enjoy her story both in the film and the books.

Series spoiler (including ADWD)
From what we've seen so far in the series, excluding the Qarth scene which felt forced as fuck, I love Dany's story. I love it up to the point where she goes 'well, fuck, time to settle down for a bit, let the people rest...' and does fuck all for a whole book being the queen of Mereen and a bad one. When she decided to marry the local because it might stop the ocasional murder i was just speechless. I used to love her storyline because of how ambitious she was, but then she turned back into what she was before she married Drogo... I do hope the little dragon-holiday will help her to become strong once again...

luxarific

Nork unification denier

In my own experience every female viewer i've ever talked to finds her story the most fascinating and interesting.

Not saying one is right or wrong, but I actually enjoy her story both in the film and the books.

I'm female and I find Dany to be one of the dullest characters - it's basically a GRRM rape fantasy. Emilia Clarke is certainly pretty though.

I rate Brienne's story over Dany's any day. To be fair, I think one of the reasons Dany's story is so dull is because she's still not in Westeros. Hopefully things will pick up once the dragons get bigger and she finally crosses the sea.

Kinda OT but any suggestions for other HBO shows to watch? I just finished season 1 of Game of Thrones, and now I'm needing something to watch while I wait for Season 2 on Blu-Ray since I don't have HBO. I'm really loving Boardwalk Empire, but I don't know what there is after that.

Deadwood and The Wire are the best ones. also Band of Brothers, Carnivale, Rome, Generation Kill, Six Feet Under. Curb your Enthusiasm and Mr. Show are also great if you want some comedies

Fucking LOVED the last episode. Great direction, great set pieces, great scenes. Harrenhall and Qarth looked good.

The direwolf scene and transition to Robb was terrible, though. Their worst attempt yet.

Yeah, seriously--whoever edited that needs to be slapped. The "your monitor is going to sleep" fadeout and the black screen lasting too long="Wait, did my signal just go out?!??"

JGS

Banned
The article itself is pretty good and overall correct. Still, for the show it is what it is. Not like they're going to change it .

JGS

Banned
And who doesn't love boobs?

At least they're not parading penises and testicles left and right.

Boobs are awesome. Get over it, everyone.
This just means their doing it for exploitative purposes. For accuracy and reality to the setting, they should be showing the nekkid guys too. They are extremely weak when it comes to Renly.

agrajag

Banned

I like reading Dany chapters quite a bit. But the way they've handled them in this Season so far.. smh. Half assed.

Zeliard

Why do people think that won't be followed up? For one thing, Ros is likely to be quite emotionally scarred from the experience, to say the least.

ultron87

Why do people think that won't be followed up? For one thing, Ros is likely to be quite emotionally scarred from the experience, to say the least.

Tyrion joking around while pulling Lancel's chain later that night soon after that had happened didn't really fill me to the brim with confidence. I don't particularly care about Ros.

gutshot

This just means their doing it for exploitative purposes. For accuracy and reality to the setting, they should be showing the nekkid guys too. They are extremely weak when it comes to Renly.

Renly was topless in an episode this season.

Zeliard

Tyrion joking around while pulling Lancel's chain later that night soon after that had happened didn't really fill me to the brim with confidence. I don't particularly care about Ros.

Probably goofiness with the progression of time under television constraints. It's pretty hard to imagine Tyrion will just completely ignore one prostitute potentially brutally murdered by another under Joffrey's command when he's the one who sent them both up there in the first place. I agree if they just pass it by, that would be pretty messed up, but it seems doubtful.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Probably goofiness with the progression of time under television constraints. It's pretty hard to imagine Tyrion will just completely ignore one prostitute potentially brutally murdered by another under Joffrey's command when he's the one who sent them both up there in the first place. I agree if they just pass it by, that would be pretty messed up, but it seems doubtful.
Yeah, I just assumed Joffrey had Ros beating the other whore all night and she'll be delivered to Tyrion along with his breakfast.

JGS

Banned
Wait. That prostitute was killed?

I thought she just got a beating. If she was going to die anyway why didn't she just run?

Wait. That prostitute was killed?

I thought she just got a beating. If she was going to die anyway why didn't she just run?
It wasn't clear whether she was killed or beaten from the episode. I suspect we'll find out this week when they deal with Tyrion's reaction to the incident.

Zeliard

It's unknown if she survived yet but it wouldn't surprise me if she's dead given the kind of tool she was being beaten with. There would probably quite a lot of blood loss with a thing like that.

Was I the only one who thought shit was gonna get REAL real with that prostitute? The other end of that staff was vaguely penis-shaped. That would have taken Joffrey's monsterism to another level.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Was I the only one who thought shit was gonna get REAL real with that prostitute? The other end of that staff was vaguely penis-shaped. That would have taken Joffrey's monsterism to another level.
I think we all thought that and were "relieved" that she was only getting beaten with it.

I doubt it will be glossed over if for no other reason than Littlefinger will likely complain upon his return from the Renly camp, but it may not be touched up on till then.

3rdman

It's unknown if she survived yet but it wouldn't surprise me if she's dead given the kind of tool she was being beaten with. There would probably quite a lot of blood loss with a thing like that.

A reviewer put it in my head that I wasn't putting enough thought into the phallus-like tool that Joffrey handed Ros...

Images in my head = :(

Zeliard

I doubt it will be glossed over if for no other reason than Littlefinger will likely complain upon his return from the Renly camp, but it may not be touched up on till then.

Littlefinger too, definitely. But even just looking at Tyrion, he's one of the few characters outside of the Starks who's built up as having any decency at all, so I think it would be pretty jarring if he doesn't get pissed as hell at Joffrey for what he did, much less acknowledge what happened.

Tyrion would probably be feeling a fair bit of guilt over it as well. It's Joffrey's horrible doing, of course, but Tyrion was the one who came up with the idea to leave two prostitutes alone with an unpredictable power-monger who had shown sadistic tendencies in the past. Now Tyrion has an idea of the true depths of Joffrey's psychopathy and that's likely to feature in their future encounters with each other.

A reviewer put it in my head that I wasn't putting enough thought into the phallus-like tool that Joffrey handed Ros...

Images in my head = :(

I think a lot of people had the same idea, heh. :<

I felt bad for thinking at the time "oh, it's only a beating" given what I thought was gonna happen.

jett

D-Member
Eh, Spartacus has more male nudity to balance itself out. This show just mostly has cheesy male-gazey nude scenes. I completely understand why one could hate the nudity on GoT but not Spartacus.

As crazy as it sounds Game Of Thrones has by far more gratuitous nudity than Spartacus.

Zabka

As crazy as it sounds Game Of Thrones has by far more gratuitous nudity than Spartacus.

That does sound crazy. Spartacus has more naked boobs, butts and penises in the backgrounds of some scenes than the whole first season of Game of Thrones.

Zeliard

That does sound crazy. Spartacus has more naked boobs, butts and penises in the backgrounds of some scenes than the whole first season of Game of Thrones.

Yeah that's a pretty crazy opinion to hold. Spartacus not only has a lot more nudity, but it also intersperses the nudity with acts of violence far more frequently. Works well for it, though, since it has such an over-the-top Grand Guignol style in general.

Snake

This criticism is so tired now. I just don't understand why people get so offended by the nudity in this show, yet every other premium cable show seems to get a pass.

At this point I'm pretty sure that the only reason we're hearing these complaints in such magnitudes is because Thrones' audience is much more immature and prone to family/group watching than the typical HBO program. In the case of the latter, it's their own fault since they're watching a program based on a notoriously violent and sex/rape-heavy book series.

And yes, I know people want to share the show with others but feel limited in this regard by the sex scenes. But honestly, someone in that equation simply needs to grow up.

Again I'm not trying to disparage those who have voiced legitimate grievances with some of the brothel/Ros scenes, with which I have often agreed. But to devote this much attention to this "problem" even when episodes do not display anything resembling what is being criticized is a sure sign of prudery leaking into the discourse, disguised as artistic concerns. If you had a problem with the Joffrey/Ros scene in episode 2x04, fine, I had a problem with it too. But the problem shouldn't be based on sex or nudity. There was no attempt at sex appeal there. It was pure violence.

I rate Brienne's story over Dany's any day. To be fair, I think one of the reasons Dany's story is so dull is because she's still not in Westeros. Hopefully things will pick up once the dragons get bigger and she finally crosses the sea.

Yeah that's really the main reason that I just don't find it interesting at times. It's very disconnected from the rest of the events in the series as of right now.

Yeah, seriously--whoever edited that needs to be slapped. The "your monitor is going to sleep" fadeout and the black screen lasting too long="Wait, did my signal just go out?!??"

Yeah that was pretty bad, it's a shame too because they had two great shots of Robb and they really wasted them in that scene.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom