• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones - Season 2 - George RR Martin's Song of Ice and Fire - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Draxal

The largest complaints I've heard from Tolkien fans concerns Martin's world building and overall narrative arc. As a fan, I'd argue his world building is solid, especially in the last couple books. But Tolkien created entire languages for races, and detailed histories that go back thousands of years. Sure, Martin has some of that in terms of family histories, and often says he likes telling a story backwards and forwards so readers know how the world began. Yet it's safe to say the sheer detail doesn't match Tolkien's work. Martin would definitely agree with that assessment as well.

In terms of narrative arc some people prefer the simple, consistent story of LOTR over the more scattered one Martin has created.

Finally there's the argument over prose and writing in general. Tolkien was a linguist and master of the English language, many of his fans would argue his works are simply better written than Martin's.

(personally I like ASOIAF more than LOTR)

Most of the snobbery I've seen is related to his prose, although I think his relatively poor prose almost makes his worlds more visceral, and more real than novel's that are more skillfully written.

And a Game of Thrones is pretty much low fantasy.

Socreges

Banned
Love LOTR and everything, but ASOIAF trumps it for me. LOTR even has nostalgia on its side, but comes second best all the same.

Would not be at all surprised that LOTR fanatics treat ASOIAF with disdain.

Puddles

Banned
I don't really think ASOIAF has poor prose at all. The prose is actually quite stunning in certain sections, and you can tell that those are the sections he spent the most time working on. It's just that there are certain chapters where you can tell he churned out one draft and called it a wrap.

If you want to see poor prose, read The Hunger Games series.

Hari Seldon

I love LOTR and ASOIAF. The goals for both novels are entirely different. Tolkien set out to create a world for his languages to exist in, and based it around ancient fairy tales. It has the fairy tale vibe to it. So it isn't going to have modern day character tropes in it, it is going to have fairy tale character tropes.

Martin set out to create a fantasy setting based on the reality of the time period around the medieval period. That is a much different goal than creating a fairy tale setting. The characters are more real, because he is not trying to create fairy tale characters.

You may prefer one to the other, I definitely like both. I will say Martin's work stands out because we have had decades of Tolkien imitators and no one who has really tried to do what Martin has done. I will also say that it takes a master writer to do what Tolkien did, and very few have come close. CS Lewis, the dude who wrote The Long Ships, maybe some others, but not many.

Puddles

Banned
I'm definitely happy that there are no orcs or elves in the series. Tolkien did those races very well, and the imitators just don't stack up.

Blizzard and Bethesda can get away with ripping off the setting since they're creating videogames, but fiction writers should strive to do something different.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Don't know if this was posted but this is George RR Martin's Tiff interview. It is three parts and very long. Some spoilers here and there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3S51i0EANGA&feature=channel

Edit: The end of Part 3 has Winds of Winter chapter and obviously this is an interview with George so I can't say for certain that it is safe for people who haven't read all the books.
I just finished watching all three parts and there are some spoilers from later books but mostly about whether or not certain characters are still around in later books. There was what I think might be a major spoiler from ASoS but I quickly hit mute and didn't listen to it so I'm not sure. I stopped right before he started reading the chapter from TWoW. I kinda want to check out the three writers he mentioned that he liked since I don't usually read a lot; Daniel Abraham, Patrick Rothfuss and Joe Abercrombie.

It was also fun to hear his thoughts on the Marvel movies and how he thought Thor and Spidey 3 both sucked but he liked Spidey 1/2, Cap and Iron Man 1/2 and that he was really looking forward to the Avengers. It was funny that he was upset Ant Man and the Wasp weren't in it.

I just finished watching all three parts and there are some spoilers from later books but mostly about whether or not certain characters are still around in later books. There was what I think might be a major spoiler from ASoS but I quickly hit mute and didn't listen to it so I'm not sure. I stopped right before he started reading the chapter from TWoW. I kinda want to check out the three writers he mentioned that he liked since I don't usually read a lot; Daniel Abraham, Patrick Rothfuss and Joe Abercrombie.

Joe Abercrombie? More like GO Abercrombie!! You won't be disappointed.

suzu

I kinda want to check out the three writers he mentioned that he liked since I don't usually read a lot; Daniel Abraham, Patrick Rothfuss and Joe Abercrombie.

Joe Abercrombie's The First Law trilogy is a really good, fun read. The other authors are worth checking out too.

scosher

From that GRRM interview, Neil Marshall will be directing the final episode.
Hopefully he does the Battle of Blackwater justice

"The Descent" is probably one of my favorite horror movies of the past decade, so it'll be interesting to see what a director with a background in horror does with GoT. Hopefully brings that same Peter Jackson magic.

Amir0x

Banned
Of everything I'm interested in this season, most of all I want to see how they handle the battle scenes in it. It's going to be a good litmus test to see how the rest of the series can possibly handle it, considering budgetary restrictions. Battles keep getting bigger and bigger in the series, so this is going to be very illuminating indeed. I'm skeptical.

inb4 Socreges "omfg you spoiled that there are BATTLES, asshole!"

bengraven

From that GRRM interview, Neil Marshall will be directing the final episode.
Hopefully he does the Battle of Blackwater justice

"The Descent" is probably one of my favorite horror movies of the past decade, so it'll be interesting to see what a director with a background in horror does with GoT. Hopefully brings that same Peter Jackson magic.

That's actually going to be episode 9.

This is kind of an off-topic flashback to the season 1 thread, on this page:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=426820&page=84

There was a short discussion on the sword-fighting choreography used in the show and I don't think I was able to explain why it wasn't satisfying to me. I just came across this great video, though, about Star Wars battles:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=J0mUVY9fLlw

It does a great job of showing how movies get it wrong.

A couple of points though:

1. That Darth Maul fight is probably an extreme example, but a lot of those "techniques" are common throughout all movie fights.

2. Like I said in the S1 thread, this is just a tiny nit-pick, and I'm only bringing it up because it stands out to me among the great production values of the show.

It doesn't decrease my enjoyment of GoT and I'm not hating on it or anyone involved. I'm just posting the video for those curious about what exactly is fishy about movie sword fighting.

- Irish Indepedent: Liam saddles up for fantasy role

- WSJ Review: The Games People Play (combo Mad Men / GoT review)
For those among us who instinctively recoil at the sight of leather jerkins, cut throats and castle keeps, "Games" may take some getting used to. But the cinematography, like the cast of largely British and Irish actors, is magnificent. Each week the story unfolds like a tapestry, its intricate stitches slowly creating not just a scene but a whole world. It's a world to get lost in, but not always easy to endure. Because the good die as often as the bad, and happy endings are only for fairy tales.

Bigfoot

I'm like 40% into Feast Of Crows!!

!!!Lovin' it!!!

I am pretty much at the same point. Got the first 4 books at Christmas.

Part of me wishes that I hadn't read the books yet because of the tv show. I think watching season 1 without knowing anything added an extra layer of excitement the book readers missed out on. Of course after reading book 1 I couldn't stop reading and I wasn't going to wait 5 years.

pr0cs

Battles keep getting bigger and bigger in the series, so this is going to be very illuminating indeed. I'm skeptical.

I don't know, AFFC:ADWD:
Blackwater is probably one of the biggest besides what happens later in book 4/5 and the war with Mance at the wall, that is assuming the TV series even gets that far, I still think Blackwater is a bigger battle than the battle at the wall due to the pyro special effects

Meier

I've got DirecTV, if I sign up for HBO now I can cancel it as soon as this season is over, right?

HBO, Showtime, etc. is typically billed month to month unless you commit to a longer deal.. which may lower the price although it's hard to say. Some folks were mentioning at least one provider offering 3 free months of HBO or something right now. I signed up in advance of GOT Season 1 and they've kept me hooked since I got both HBO and Showtime as well for $20 a month.

A few tidbits from James Hibberd on the screeners:
EW said:
First, rest assured: The first two episodes hit the ground running. The writers amazingly stitch together NINE very different major narrative locations while still making Thrones feel like one cohesive TV show. There’s also more dry humor this season, and the new characters really pop (particularly Stephen Dillane as Stannis and Gemma Whelan as Theon’s sister). Here’s a few little teases that haven’t been widely reported: Littlefinger tries to threaten Cersei (and you can guess how that goes for him), Joffrey orders his most horrific execution yet, and somebody discovers Arya’s secret identity.

This is kind of an off-topic flashback to the season 1 thread, on this page:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=426820&page=84

There was a short discussion on the sword-fighting choreography used in the show and I don't think I was able to explain why it wasn't satisfying to me. I just came across this great video, though, about Star Wars battles:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=J0mUVY9fLlw

It does a great job of showing how movies get it wrong.

A couple of points though:

1. That Darth Maul fight is probably an extreme example, but a lot of those "techniques" are common throughout all movie fights.

2. Like I said in the S1 thread, this is just a tiny nit-pick, and I'm only bringing it up because it stands out to me among the great production values of the show.

It doesn't decrease my enjoyment of GoT and I'm not hating on it or anyone involved. I'm just posting the video for those curious about what exactly is fishy about movie sword fighting.
This is funny and true. THe problem is that half the time people are actors, not sword fighters.

New pics from HBO over on WiC.net's tumblr:

CSUZv.jpg

JsuG4.jpg

Yt4Ag.jpg

w6yGw.jpg

hrYkH.jpg

Z9bzC.jpg

b9LAd.jpg

DHIz2.jpg

Amir0x

Banned
I don't know, AFFC:ADWD:
Blackwater is probably one of the biggest besides what happens later in book 4/5 and the war with Mance at the wall, that is assuming the TV series even gets that far, I still think Blackwater is a bigger battle than the battle at the wall due to the pyro special effects

I mean it is big, but <Season 3/Season 4 possible spoilers>
The Battle at the Wall is just ridiculous. It has all sorts of mythical creatures, giants, mammoths, shadowcats, walruses, just a huge number of people, the stairs on the walls collapsing.
If they can't handle <ACoK spoilers>
Blackwater with any fidelity, then there is no hope for that battle

I mean it is big, but <Season 3/Season 4 possible spoilers>
The Battle at the Wall is just ridiculous. It has all sorts of mythical creatures, giants, mammoths, shadowcats, walruses, just a huge number of people, the stairs on the walls collapsing.
If they can't handle <ACoK spoilers>
Blackwater with any fidelity, then there is no hope for that battle

Im sure they can pull it off.

CoK
Tyrion will get knocked out

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom