• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones - Season 2 - George RR Martin's Song of Ice and Fire - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zabka

It feels strange an episode with so much cruelty in it as beautiful but it's the best word I can come up with. That was really, really good and looked fantastic. I'd love to see what they can do with a Rome-sized budget.

One other thing I loved. I'm a sucker for any history being discussed, even without dangling jubblies.

jett

D-Member
Book readers, get in here for a second (big COK spoilers)
we gotta figure out how we are going to deal with this unit they make the reveal at the end of the season. Just say vague things like "no one is safe" ok sound like a plan?

If you're a non-reader and come to this thread you're asking to get spoiled. There's always a dumbass that can't mark spoilers.

Pollux

He's doing a double review for ep. 6 and 7 tonight

Oh goodie. I like his reviews almost as much as the show. The combination of one of the nerdiest guys in the world acting tough + new reader reactions = pretty fucking priceless.

I fixed it I'm sooooowwwwy
:jnc I did the same thing a while back and got bitched at so I was continuing the tradition and bitching at you. Now, next time someone does it, it's up to YOU to bitch at THEM. It's like Tyrion's chain...just keeps going and going and going (unless you just don't mention it....like the show is doing)

Magnus

[COK]
Holy fuck, that last scene and the scenes with Bran, Rickon and Theon that precede it were written, edited and planned for SHIT. There's no way any intelligent viewer would actually believe those were Bran and Rickon. The music was a little psycho and off-kilter. A character like Rodrik had such an immense death, that I can't believe any viewer would accept that that was Bran's sendoff. I mean, the kids were a black char; if there had even been a sense of humanity left in those corpses, a bit of flesh near the face, an eyeball, some tattered clothes, or some kind of visual signifier that they were actually the two Stark princes, the scene would have sat better. That wasn't great.

Other than that, awesome episode that I feel will be shat on a little by new viewers, on account of it being 'too much talking'.

Christ, that Jaime/Alton scene. Amazing. His two 'japes' at her were outstanding and perfectly timed.

jett

D-Member
This episode proves how bland the direction of the show is.
Theon finding the "children" should've been cut like the scene in Silence Of The Lambs spoiler when the movie makes you believe the police are at Buffalo Bill's doorstep. Alternating between two unrelated scenes but edited in a way that makes you think they are in sequence. At the end of the season the unedited scene of Bran 'n friends on the run or whatever is shown. That's my idea anyway. Nobody fell for it in the NO SPOILERS threads. I was looking forward to reactions of horrified people. :|

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Also, I want to say, I don't know how to feel about the scene with Jaime. They seemed to flip Cersei and Jaime's characterizations. Jaime is coming off way more unrelatable by killing someone who admired him so.

Also, I want to say, I don't know how to feel about the scene with Jaime. They seemed to flip Cersei and Jaime's characterizations. Jaime is coming off a little more unrelatable by killing someone who admired him so.

I like it. ASOS
So far in the show he's come off as more likable than he did in the books. If they didn't make him more overtly despicable like this then his change later on wouldn't feel earned.
Though I suppose it's perhaps a bit too far in the other direction.

jett

D-Member
Also, I want to say, I don't know how to feel about the scene with Jaime. They seemed to flip Cersei and Jaime's characterizations. Jaime is coming off way more unrelatable by killing someone who admired him so.

The change I like is that of Catelyn's.
Instead of being a beeatch and stealing Jaime away to exchange him for her daughters she's obviously gonna take him away to save him from getting killed.
I agree that Jaime randomly killing some poor guy is out of character.

Azrael

I thought it was a great episode. All the new scenes this season with Arya and Tywin have been terrific, Dany's story arc is more exciting than the book, Lena Headey delivered a very strong performance that should silence some of the haters, and Jaime's new scenes were terrific as well. I do think Jaime's escape and recapture was rushed and should have been drawn out over a pair of episodes, although I do understand they were trying to squeeze in thematic parallels this episode with Theon and Jaime and why they took the approach they did.

Magnus

Instead of being a beeatch and stealing Jaime away to exchange him for her daughters she's obviously gonna take him away to save him from getting killed.

This is the dude who shoved Bran out of a window to try and kill him, and the man who'd fight a "war for Cersei's cunt". I have absolutely no trouble believing he'd do anything to anyone to escape, short of torture.

Regarding the final scene: [COK]
Yeah, the other thread is a clear indicator to me that the average viewer isn't going to buy this. The editing should have panned out much like another poster above (was it you jett?) said; introduce SOME confusion at least. This reads too one-sidedly.

And holy shit, completely forgot about that scene with Dany and the Thirteen. Was anyone else just plain jaw-hangin?

[COK]
None of that happened in COK, right? lol Curse my addled memory!

I like it. ASOS
So far in the show he's come off as more likable than he did in the books. If they didn't make him more overtly despicable like this then his change later on wouldn't feel earned.
Though I suppose it's perhaps a bit too far in the other direction.

AFFC
I'm feeling a lot of the sympathetic characterization that they get in AFFC coming through at this point, particularly the stuff that happens when Jaime is with Brienne and back in King's Landing as the 1-handed Captain of the Kingsguard.
When you read the first 2 books, it's easy to think of them as LANNISTER ARE BAD because aside from Tyrion you generally don't like anyone associated with them. You don't really come to like them until they
start getting their own POV chapters.

Amir0x

Banned
Tywin + Arya is obviously the best new addition, shit is ace.
Iceland is the real winner this episode. Every scene makes me go :eek: because of how goddamn gorgeous it is.

Iceland and Catelyn. Continued amazing performance. "And gag him!" was perfectly delivered.

Ygritte is also spot on, performance wise. Tyrion and Cersei scene was well done, really cutting through to Cersei's humanity.

Unsure how to feel about Jaime's story yet. I liked the discussion he had with Cat, but the discussion with his relative dragged on a bit too long and the result seemed a little extreme if we're to <rest of series>
believe his changes

Dany's story I can go either way. I have to see where they take this.

jett

D-Member
This is the dude who shoved Bran out of a window to try and kill him, and the man who'd fight a "war for Cersei's cunt". I have absolutely no trouble believing he'd do anything to anyone to escape, short of torture.

Regarding the final scene: [COK]
Yeah, the other thread is a clear indicator to me that the average viewer isn't going to buy this. The editing should have panned out much like another poster above (was it you jett?) said; introduce SOME confusion at least. This reads too one-sidedly.

And holy shit, completely forgot about that scene with Dany and the Thirteen. Was anyone else just plain jaw-hangin?

[COK]
None of that happened in COK, right? lol Curse my addled memory!

Yes it was me, it's like 3 posts above yours. :p

And I guess being reminded of what Jaime did to Bran makes the change more believable, yeah. The scenes in Qarth are almost complete fabrication. I'm becoming worried about THOTU.

I thought it was a great episode. All the new scenes this season with Arya and Tywin have been terrific, Dany's story arc is more exciting than the book, Lena Headey delivered a very strong performance that should silence some of the haters, and Jaime's new scenes were terrific as well. I do think Jaime's escape and recapture was rushed and should have been drawn out over a pair of episodes, although I do understand they were trying to squeeze in thematic parallels this episode with Theon and Jaime and why they took the approach they did.

The Qarth storyline has been completely changed. I'm not sure how they are going to bring Dany to
Belwas and Arstan
at this point. Killing off the rest of the merchant lords is just a really big departure from the books.

Magnus

Yes it was me, it's like 3 posts above yours. :p

And I guess being reminded of what Jaime did to Bran makes the change more believable, yeah. The scenes in Qarth are almost complete fabrication. I'm becoming worried about THOTU.

[COK]
The use of simple, practical effects in all of Pyat's 'tricks' so far has me actually pretty confident that THOTU will be amazing, snappy, concise, and visually powerful. I can hope anyway, haha.

I...really fucking need to get on finishing AFFC and ADWD. I need to never fear another spoiler box again when it comes to this series. I have no excuse. lol

Wow, the ending was just terrible. What the hell? The direction in this show has been dreadful lately. Shot awkwardly, edited/paced awkwardly, whatever the hell was going on on Theon's face. Weird as shit fade to black at the end. It's too bad, this episode had been pretty good up until that point.

ACOK
And WOW did they fuck up the fake-out. Every person I watched it with who hadn't read the books immediately went "yeah there's no chance that's Bran and Rickon."

I didn't like the "oh noes the dragons are gone" thing but I'm liking how they're messing with Qarth stuff now. Way more interesting.

Zabka

Nothing random about it. He would've done that to anyone they put in the cell with him. There's really no boundaries after trying to kill an innocent kid.

[series]
I think the obvious foreshadowing was to keep trust with the audience, which is something that GRRM lost by the last book for me. Too many fake deaths and resurrections that every incident has become suspicious which takes away a lot of the impact.

jett

D-Member
Tywin + Arya is obviously the best new addition, shit is ace.
Iceland is the real winner this episode. Every scene makes me go :eek: because of how goddamn gorgeous it is.

Iceland and Catelyn. Continued amazing performance. "And gag him!" was perfectly delivered.

Ygritte is also spot on, performance wise. Tyrion and Cersei scene was well done, really cutting through to Cersei's humanity.

Unsure how to feel about Jaime's story yet. I liked the discussion he had with Cat, but the discussion with his relative dragged on a bit too long and the result seemed a little extreme if we're to <rest of series>
believe his changes

Dany's story I can go either way. I have to see where they take this.

You know what, I don't care for Iceland, it's totally clashing with my imagined version of of the land beyond the wall. It doesn't make any sense honestly, who the hell can live in that place.

Amir0x

Banned
You know what, I don't care for Iceland, it's totally clashing with my imagined version of of the land beyond the wall. It doesn't make any sense honestly, who the hell can live in that place.

the same type of people who live in extremely cold regions now?

Dragon

Banned
Yeah they should have filmed in Greenland.

Forkball

My review:

+ The Jamie scenes were fantastic. He has been totally forgotten about this entire season, but the scene with his cousin in the cage was one of the best.
+ RICHEST MAN IN QARTH'D. That scene was pretty trippy and has me interested in what's next.
+ You gotta feel for Snow. It's one thing to be blue balled, it's another to be blue balled in a frozen tundra.
+ Mormont's chest hair.

- No Stannis sternness, Mel hotness, and Davos brow furrowing.
- The only nudity is male? Enough twists already!
- Am I supposed to know who this mask chick is? She randomly appeared at the party, and then Mormont seeks her out. AM I MISSING SOMETHING?

Also I'm not a book reader, but I'm pretty sure I figured out the ending to tonight's episode so it didn't really have an impact.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom