• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones - Season 2 - George RR Martin's Song of Ice and Fire - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

iamblades

Don't highlight any of these spoilers unless you've read CoK.

Heh, not true. You're remembering wrong.

Quoting from the book

“M’lord prince.” Reek urged his horse near. “Might be them Starks never came this way. If I was them, I would have gone north and east, maybe. To the Umbers. Good Stark men, they are. But their lands are a long way. The boys will shelter someplace nearer. Might be I know where.”

Theon looked at him suspiciously. “Tell me.”

“You know that old mill, sitting lonely on the Acorn Water? We stopped there when I was being dragged to Winterfell a captive. The miller’s wife sold us hay for our horses while that old knight clucked over her brats. Might be the Starks are hiding there.”

Theon knew the mill. He had even tumbled the miller’s wife a time or two. There was nothing special about it, or her. “Why there? There are a dozen villages and holdfasts just as close.”

Amusement shone in those pale eyes. “Why? Now that’s past knowing. But they’re there, I have a feeling.”

Ahh I am totally misremembering..
I remember the stuff about the Mill, but I thought that was a bit earlier before Theon figured out the plan

That makes it even more clear though..

Don't highlight any of these spoilers unless you've read CoK.

Heh, not true. You're remembering wrong.

Quoting from the book

“M’lord prince.” Reek urged his horse near. “Might be them Starks never came this way. If I was them, I would have gone north and east, maybe. To the Umbers. Good Stark men, they are. But their lands are a long way. The boys will shelter someplace nearer. Might be I know where.”

Theon looked at him suspiciously. “Tell me.”

“You know that old mill, sitting lonely on the Acorn Water? We stopped there when I was being dragged to Winterfell a captive. The miller’s wife sold us hay for our horses while that old knight clucked over her brats. Might be the Starks are hiding there.”

Theon knew the mill. He had even tumbled the miller’s wife a time or two. There was nothing special about it, or her. “Why there? There are a dozen villages and holdfasts just as close.”

Amusement shone in those pale eyes. “Why? Now that’s past knowing. But they’re there, I have a feeling.”

You left out how it ended, and that quote makes it a bit more obvious than I remembered ACOK
Theon thinks he's full of shit, he hands Theon the bag, Theon pulls out the wolf's head brooch. Then he wonders which of his men he can trust. Then he says he knows where Bran and Rickon are hiding. They're clearly up to something.

I don't really like how most of the Jaime scenes were handled, but they did accomplish one thing they haven't touched on much; how revered of a warrior Jaime is. He's legendary for his skills, and the episode did a nice job displaying that during his talk with his cousin

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Reek doesn't say he knows where they are, he just hands Theon a bag with some of the stark kid's clothes and a couple of metal emblems that the hounds found somewhere, and then Theon says "I know where they went". It's pretty clear in hindsight, but kind of subtle at first.
I just grabbed my ACoK and the correct order of events was this.

1. Reek says they probably went to the Umbers and there's a mill on the way and they probably stopped there. He also mentioned the miller and his wife had kids.
2. Theon asks why there.
3. Reek is sly and then says he has a feeling.
4. Theon asks if he has been keeping something from him.
5. Reek tells Theon to come to him and look into a sack he brought from Winterfell.
6. Theon pulls the wolf's-head broach from the sack and "Understanding came suddenly."
7. Theon sends almost everyone else away to go to the mill.

If someone didn't realize he killed the miller's kids then you weren't paying attention.

Lothar

Banned
No, you only quoted part of it, and left how it ended out. ACOK
Theon thinks he's full of shit, he hands Theon the bag, Theon pulls out the wolf's head brooch. Then he wonders which of his men he can trust. Then he says he knows where Bran and Rickon are hiding. They're clearly up to something.

That's a hint but I'd hardly call that obvious. My thought was Reek just remembered he had found something that belonged to the boys at the mill implying that they were close with Bran and Rickon and that would be a likely place that they'd hide. I wasn't really sure what to make of that.

That's nothing like Bran and Rickon having a discussion about two random boys that look like them. All the viewers have to know that they're talking about those boys for some purpose. TV time is not just going to be wasted on two insignificant kids.

Fuzzy

That's a hint but I'd hardly call that obvious. My thought was Reek just remembered he had found something that belonged to the boys at the mill implying that they were close with Bran and Rickon and that would be a likely place that they'd hide. I wasn't really sure what to make of that.

That's nothing like Bran and Rickon having a discussion about two random boys that look like them. All the viewers have to know that they're talking about those boys for some purpose. TV time is not just going to be wasted on two insignificant kids.
With the bag being from Winterfell it made it obvious. It wasn't as in your face as the show made it but it was obvious. I didn't think for a second they were dead when I was reading it.

Fuzzy

Promo for Episode 8 is on YouTube for those that missed it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3oUnkfdHEfk

Please remember the rules when talking about the promo.

Zb44O.jpg

Please keep in mind that many viewers haven't read the books and will be new to the ASoIaF series. As such, please spoiler tag any plot points that haven't aired yet on HBO and label what book you're discussing. This includes book spoilers as well as promos and teasers that HBO has released for upcoming episodes. Also note that mentioning a specific character in a specific book confirms that they're still alive at that point, so please do not do this.

Pecan1

Banned
Whatever order the Theon events take place in the book I think that handled it properly in this episode.
Bran mentions the orphans. Are a lot on non-book readers not picking up on that?
Also Theon was doing great acting again this week especially that last scene and "it's just a game" or w/e he says to Luwin

IJoel

Love the Tywin and Aria scenes. To be honest, I could watch a show titled "Conversations with Tywin and Aria" and be utterly entertained.

Daenerys is so far the disappointment for me - the acting seems off.

I really love the intro credits to this series, especially this season. I love how after it shows the Wall, it zooms out with this binocular effect and then as it shifts over to Qarth, it passes by the burning compass (I think?) with the swirling crests of the families within the series. I love those sound effects too.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Charles Dance is such a sexy badass mofo. Best casting decision outside of Peter Dinklage. Coster-Waldau's accent was all over the place in this episode, but at least we got to see him.

Kuroyume

Banned
The episode was great. Probably my favorite of the season. Theon scenes were great as usual although
I'm not happy that the group isn't inside the crypt at Winterfell. Also, they didn't have to show/explain those orphans either. Would have blown more minds if they had just propped up two dead bodies at the end without introducing those boys before. Most people will be fooled but it's also too much of a hint.
The new Gregor looks fucking creepy. I think I like him more than the old one. Almost has a Rasputin-like look to him. The Jon-Ygritte scenes were hilarious. Not too upset about the changes regarding those two as many other people are although
I still want to see him kill you know who...
The Daenarys stuff finally got interesting. Really liked how they pulled off that execution scene with Pyatt. They totally nailed the casting there. Exactly how I imagined him. Sansan! More and more. Love it. Also, nice to see Jaime get more screen time. Happy that he's finally met Brienne.

That may have been the best episode of GoT, first or second season. Wow. I've questioned Weiss and Benioff many times in the past, but I must say that was brilliantly written. Nearly every scene was great, even the small stuff like Hodor happily cracking nuts for Rickon.

I was too busy to pay attention to the twitter reactions, but I'll check them now. People must be either pissed or speechless. I'd imagine there will be lots of debate among new viewers over what happened at the end, can't wait to read up on it.

So many goosebumps. "You know nothing, Jon Snow." Oh man, perfect. An amazing exposition scene with Tywin and Arya. That amazing sequence with Pyratt Pree. Shae...not being annoying. And Jamie and Brienne, oh boy

tirminyl

This episode proves how bland the direction of the show is. [COK]
Theon finding the "children" should've been cut like the scene in Silence Of The Lambs spoiler when the movie makes you believe the police are at Buffalo Bill's doorstep. Alternating between two unrelated scenes but edited in a way that makes you think they are in sequence. At the end of the season the unedited scene of Bran 'n friends on the run or whatever is shown. That's my idea anyway. Nobody fell for it in the NO SPOILERS threads. I was looking forward to reactions of horrified people. :|

You know, I was thinking it would play out exactly like that and I expected that it would play out like that so I was quite surprised that it didn't.

anaron

lol
they totally fucked up the buildup/direction to the boys being "dead." I feel sorry for anyone that actually bought that terrible execution. Horrible.

Speevy

Banned
I actually thought they were going to kill Jaime, and then it showed burned children.

It's like oh, something I'd like to see? Oh, here's the most horrible thing you could imagine. Enjoy. Credits.

Also, the problem inherent to believing the Stark children are dead is that they really are valuable alive. The maester comes off as overly dramatic and cautious when he pleas for their lives, and Theon despite being an unredeemable asshole now appears to understand the purpose of keeping them alive.

Also, the maester is along for the trip until a certain point, and seems like a fairly intelligent man. I believed that he thought they were long gone, but of course he's horrified.

woober

I really love the intro credits to this series, especially this season. I love how after it shows the Wall, it zooms out with this binocular effect and then as it shifts over to Qarth, it passes by the burning compass (I think?) with the swirling crests of the families within the series. I love those sound effects too.

Same. I noticed the "burning compass," but to me, I thought it looked like it was representing the sun (thus the fire) ringed by the family symbols.

njean777

All this Jamie hating is making me sad, if more people would read the books you most likely wouldn't be saying you want him to die. Although it could be just me having a soft spot for Jamie in my heart for some reason. Even though I don't like what he did to bran (one of my favorite characters btw) I still feel bad for Jamie.

Speevy

Banned
The actor is good and his character is fairly complex, but he's the kind of guy you want leading the evil army at the behest of his father, not whining in the mud.

GorillaJu

I'm not convinced that the burned bodies are Rickon and Bran. I think Theon realizes he lost them, and killed some poor children to pose them as the Stark boys.

Jaime's a cool character and a good actor, but it seems he's desperate to be decapitated.

Man

All this Jamie hating is making me sad, if more people would read the books you most likely wouldn't be saying you want him to die. Although it could be just me having a soft spot for Jamie in my heart for some reason.
Probably one of the best book examples I know of where I sympathize with a person that has committed horrible acts. I bet though the great majority of real life offenders have similar feelings ('it happened in the heat of the moment', 'didn't really mean to' etc).

Jaime's a cool character and a good actor, but it seems he's desperate to be decapitated.
He has zero fear. One of the reasons he excels.

Fuzzy

All this Jamie hating is making me sad, if more people would read the books you most likely wouldn't be saying you want him to die. Although it could be just me having a soft spot for Jamie in my heart for some reason. Even though I don't like what he did to bran (one of my favorite characters btw) I still feel bad for Jamie.
Is it because you secretly want to have sex with your sister?

Forkball

So in tonight's episode, Tywin mentioned the "war of the five kings.". Who are they exactly? Joffrey, Stannis, Renly, Robb, and Balon? Do people besides the north even know of Balon's intentions? And wouldn't they scratch Renly off?

FStop7

Banned
They are completely fucking up Jon's storyline IMO.

It is making him look like a completely clueless emo douchebag.

Yes. Same for Dany.

ACOK
The pursuit sequence with Jon and the Halfhand was my favorite part of the book. Knowing the wildlings were closing in on them even though they couldn't see them. The eagle overhead, always watching. I loved that part of the book. Cutting it out is a real mistake. Turning Jon Snow into an emo fuckup is a mistake.

That change to Jaime's character joins Renly as a gay stereotype, Shae as completely unlikable and without charm, and Littlefinger as a purely evil whoremonger (as opposed to an investor who happens to own brothers and is a bit more grey in character) as the most annoying, unnecessary, and just bad changes from the book.

And I thought omnipresent warlocks were bad. Damn that Jaime scene bothers me.

ASOS major spoiler
The changes in Shae's character do not fit, either. Why would she try to help Sansa when she is actually Tywin's agent?

apana

This review was so shitty, especially the first half. He really likes to waste time, but I still like his reactions. Anyways Michelle Fairley was fantastic as always and I love Ygritte, this actress fucking nailed it. This episode was by far the best one of this season. It felt like two hours worth of material packed into one. The director for episodes 6 and 7 needs to return next season.

Why doesn't the creepy guy try to take the iron throne? There's like 40 of him at all times.

The shadow clone jutsu requires a lot of chakra.

njean777

Is it because you secretly want to have sex with your sister?

Lol, no, I just sympothize with him because in the books he goes through a lot of shit so far and has nothing to do with what his shitty sister or Joffrey is doing. I don't know where the show is with him just yet as I have to wait for the blu-rays, so I do not want to spoil anything for anybody. He is a likable villain to me, he may be arrogant and an asshole, but he is hilarious at times and is one of those people who tells jokes to hide their fear which reminds me of my friends and myself sometimes.

This review was so shitty, especially the first half. He really likes to waste time, but I still like his reactions. Anyways Michelle Fairley was fantastic as always and I love Ygritte, this actress fucking nailed it. This episode was by far the best one of this season. It felt like two hours worth of material packed into one. The director for episodes 6 and 7 needs to return next season.

The shadow clone jutsu requires a lot of chakra.

I think its funny how he answered fans questioning why he didn't comment on Theon's storyline until now. He wonders why he should talk about stuff that hasn't happened yet...he talks about only wanting to address stuff that has already happened. A few weeks ago he talked about how he didn't know why his reviews aren't as popular this season as they were last season, and he came to the conclusion that its because he was trying to do more legit reviews instead of just going off about whatever. I think the main reason is that he doesnt seem to speculate or make predictions as much anymore, which was the main reason I used to love his reviews so much...that and his reactions to stuff, which have been kind of subdued this season

I'll still keep watching his reviews though, they're still entertaining and I like to see his perspective on things

Btw has Alfie Allen been put up for an Emmy? Because he has been fantastic

Yeah, I think him, Dinklage, Robb and Jon (too lazy to write actor names for the last too) have been put up by HBO. Dinklage will get in, and Allen deserves it too (more thank Dinklage) but probably won't be nominated. Jon and Robb haven't really done anything worth mentioning that from what we've seen so far.

All these spoiler tags make it feel awfully silly that there isn't just one no spoiler thread and one all spoiler thread. Sure, some people midway through the books would have to stick to the no spoiler thread, but it would cut down on accidental spoilage by like a billion percent. (Yeah, I know there's an unmarked asoiaf spoiler thread, but mean an actual show thread. There's not nearly as much show talk in that thread, being, you know, not about the show)

Can't wait for the Neil Marshall and two Alan Taylor episodes to wash away the taste of whoever the hell did the last two.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom