• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones - Season 2 - George RR Martin's Song of Ice and Fire - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

apana

ACOK is simply a bigger, much more complicated book to film, and it only gets "worse" after this one. Too many characters, too many locations, too many plotlines. And the show has decided to deal with nearly all of them. 60 minutes is not enough to develop any of this, and the geniuses behind the show decided to give equal time and importance to everybody. The result? You end up giving importance to nobody. The show is moving ahead to nowhere. You don't see anything conflating to any particular point. Despite all the changes in S2 this is still a show that is trying its darnedest to be faithful to the source, and it simply can't be. It's not possible. So now we end up with a mess.

On a more personal note, Jon fucking blows. I don't like what either the actor or the writers are doing to this character. The guy's out-starking Ned Stark. So fucking dull. This could apply to a lot of the personalities in the show, actually...and the direction of the show itself. Showtime's little-watched "historical" show "The Borgias" is shot with more flair and style than this thing.

They have a good amount of time and budget for ASOS considering it is going to be split into two seasons.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
On a more personal note, Jon fucking blows. I don't like what either the actor or the writers are doing to this character. The guy's out-starking Ned Stark. So fucking dull. This could apply to a lot of the personalities in the show, actually...and the direction of the show itself. Showtime's little-watched "historical" show "The Borgias" is shot with more flair and style than this thing.
honestly, I felt this way about the Jon character for most of the (book) series. I've never understood the love he gets.

jett

D-Member
Shush you, Real Jon is awesome. :(

They have a good amount of time and budget for ASOS considering it is going to be split into two seasons.

I hope they alter the way they edit the show next season. They need to stop what they're doing right now, jumping between more than half a dozen plotlines every episode, dedicating only a few minutes to each.

I hope they alter the way they edit the show next season. They need to stop what they're doing right now, jumping between more than half a dozen plotlines every episode, dedicating only a few minutes to each.

I was just about to mention this. With two seasons to ASOS, they can afford to do this, and hopefully they will.

honestly, I felt this way about the Jon character for most of the (book) series. I've never understood the love he gets.

All of Ned's children not named Sansa are unconditionally loved by all.

I like Jon, but he is one of the more frustrating characters, kind of like how Ned could be quite frustrating at times, and that is an intentional similarity.

AngryMoth

Problem with this is you would go several episodes between visits to a charcter. They already can't fit everyone into a single hour. It would improve the structure of the individual episodes but kill the pacing of the season. To borrow duckroll's phrase, a looser adaptation is the only way I think they can address the problem. As the series goes on the charcters becomes further separated both geographically and narratively to the point where everyone has their own indepenant story with it's own cast. They would need to either rewrite the story so that this doesn't happen or just totally drop major charcters.

Subitai

I read the other thread and everyone seems more than satisfied. Certainly things could be rearranged a little for better development, but I think some of you are being way to greedy. There is lots of fairly unrelated bouncing around in the show now, and TV only people jazzed for most of it. Especially where it keeps leading to crazy unexpected places.

I read the other thread and everyone seems more than satisfied. Certainly things could be rearranged a little for better development, but I think some of you are being way to greedy. There is lots of fairly unrelated bouncing around in the show now, and TV only people jazzed for most of it. Especially where it keeps leading to crazy unexpected places.

The good thing is that the majority of the viewers have no connection to the books and that is why they are enjoying the show and think it is qualitatively good. They are the reason the show does well and they will be the reason it is so well-received and kept on the air.

Rose Leslie is so perfect as Ygritte. I'm in love.

And here's Frodo on the throne

3vZwb.jpg

Damn, lots of negativity in this thread. I'm about halfway through AFFC and I'm enjoying the adaptation.

Sure, some things could be done better and I'm not fussed on some of the deviations, but considering how dififcult something like this is to pull off I think they've done a pretty good job!

Also, I know a bunch of people who are into the show and haven't read the books. Everyone is pretty happy with season 2.

Damn, lots of negativity in this thread. I'm about halfway through AFFC and I'm enjoying the adaptation.

Sure, some things could be done better and I'm not fussed on some of the deviations, but considering how dififcult something like this is to pull off I think they've done a pretty good job!

Also, I know a bunch of people who are into the show and haven't read the books. Everyone is pretty happy with season 2.

yup, and that's what matters the most ;)

LuchaShaq

Banned
By far my biggest issue is that they are inventing other storylines, making other stories much longer/complicated on top of cutting a ton.

10 hours is already not enough but you have to waste time having Jon chase Ygritte for two episodes and have Dany's dragons kidnapped? WTF?

My beef is what's already mentioned. The source material is so complex and there's so much shit to tell, you really don't have to twist it or invent things. Like christ, just do it like it is. I understand some changes that are made to make a tv show easier to understand and entertaining and whatnot, but the story arcs are there, just make sure you hit em. They aren't though, not all of em the right way at least.

Overall though I don't care because it's still entertaining.

My dad mentioned to me the other day that he hasn't liked the last few episodes. He really doesn't like the Jon parts now and the Dany stuff. He also wants more nudity and violence too.

I'm not sure why you quoted me as I'm saying that the majority of the viewers are happy with the show. The numbers back that up.

Shush you, Real Jon is awesome. :(

Then you'd be changing the way the book presents the characters (also presenting character viewpoints for minutes at a time).

tino

Banned
In the book Jon only became lame in the 5th book to me. Now that I think about it, I really only like Jon when the fat dude is around him. Fatty brings the best out of him.

What is the budget being spent on? I'm guessing location shooting because I can't recall a huge battle this entire season. It wouldn't kill them to feature a major battle every now and then just to change the pacing of the show a bit. This show is very similar to The Walking Dead in the sense that in The Walking Dead, the writers have to focus on human drama because they don't have the budget to pour into zombie scenes. In Game of Thrones, the writers have to focus on drama because they don't have the budget to pour into battle scenes.

Duki

Banned
see with me it was more that cool shit always happened AROUND jon, rather than really enjoying him as a character in isolation

some of his stuff in storm of swords especially is super cool

Lothar

Banned

People who haven't read the books don't know how good the show can be. We do. I find it enjoyable but it could be better. I'm enjoying the series but I did not like this week's episode. It was the only episode in this series that I didn't like. Objectively, the show would be better if
it was less obvious that Bran and Rickon's deaths were faked
, if there was more focus on the upcoming Stannis attack and Tyrion's actions in King's Landing, if Dany wasn't so unlikable and annoying, if this episode wasn't so slow with nothing happening - having neither major plot events or meaningful dialogue. Major things have happened here in the books. Dany already went to the House of Undying in this place of the story, for example. This episode could have used something like that.

What is the budget being spent on? I'm guessing location shooting because I can't recall a huge battle this entire season. It wouldn't kill them to feature a major battle every now and then just to change the pacing of the show a bit. This show is very similar to The Walking Dead in the sense that in The Walking Dead, the writers have to focus on human drama because they don't have the budget to pour into zombie scenes. In Game of Thrones, the writers have to focus on drama because they don't have the budget to pour into battle scenes.

The show...

Zabka

Both shows are about on par with their source material in terms of action.

Kammie

Dany already went to the House of Undying in this place of the story, for example.
But if they did that then they would have to show the dragons again.

I would propose the following solution to cut down on the CG budget and avoid all these silly plot contrivances such as kidnappings, cages, and the dragons being shy of strange people:

KTYDd.jpg

Pecan1

Banned
I mean I've read all the books, what exactly is missing from the show that can't besaid about the LotR or any other book thats been adapted to the screen? Sure there are some real little things missing like Renlys peach and the dead city that Kelly C stops in.

I don't get the criticism, what major thing is missing out.

ASOIAF is written on a middleschool reading level, the show isn't missing anything.

apana

My beef is what's already mentioned. The source material is so complex and there's so much shit to tell, you really don't have to twist it or invent things. Like christ, just do it like it is. I understand some changes that are made to make a tv show easier to understand and entertaining and whatnot, but the story arcs are there, just make sure you hit em. They aren't though, not all of em the right way at least.

Overall though I don't care because it's still entertaining.

This is the biggest issue for me, it sucks when your favorite story lines have to be on the receiving end of it. Especially if nothing is gained from the change. [series spoiler]
Why does Ygritte even need more screen time? She is going to have plenty of it for season 3 and 4.

Lothar

Banned
I mean I've read all the books, what exactly is missing from the show that can't besaid about the LotR or any other book thats been adapted to the screen? Sure there are some real little things missing like Renlys peach and the dead city that Kelly C stops in.

I don't get the criticism, what major thing is missing out.

ASOIAF is written on a middleschool reading level, the show isn't missing anything.

This scene for one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TIWX2fPx-5k

Pecan1

Banned
Yea that was really awesome, but we've found all that out about Sandor anyway haven't we? I mean that's a great example of something missing but at the same time the show has done a pretty good job of showing what type of person he is without giving him a speech like that.

Yes it would be awesome if they just went through the book line for line like that. How about if they even had a narrator who told you what materials the clothes were made of or how food was cooked and what spice they used? If they got to make a season of 10 full length movies they couldn't cover all the stuff that's in the books.

Personally I'm going to reserve any negative criticism about S2 at least until the season has finished, by then I'll have seen all the episodes at least twice.

Zeliard

What is the budget being spent on? I'm guessing location shooting because I can't recall a huge battle this entire season. It wouldn't kill them to feature a major battle every now and then just to change the pacing of the show a bit.

Actors are expensive, and there are a lot of them in GoT.

I don't know how people can simply demand higher budgets when they have no idea what the budget outline looks like or what adding more money to the show would entail. The're also on a specific shooting schedule and can't really afford to experiment and reset to try random things.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Yea that was really awesome, but we've found all that out about Sandor anyway haven't we? I mean that's a great example of something missing but at the same time the show has done a pretty good job of showing what type of person he is without giving him a speech like that.

Yes it would be awesome if they just went through the book line for line like that. How about if they even had a narrator who told you what materials the clothes were made of or how food was cooked and what spice they used? If they got to make a season of 10 full length movies they couldn't cover all the stuff that's in the books.

Personally I'm going to reserve any negative criticism about S2 at least until the season has finished, by then I'll have seen all the episodes at least twice.
But the story was told in the show, they just had Littlefinger tell it to Sansa instead of getting the Hound to do it. Which do you think was the better choice?

I agree about waiting until the season is over because things like the Jon story could end up being good the way they're doing it. We just don't know yet.

Big-E

Does anyone know how much actors make in terms of smaller roles? Like how much is Hordor getting? Or someone like the Mountain? What would be a rate for an actor with that much screen time. I am a little curious.

Pecan1

Banned
Sure, I was trying to think where they fit that story in. Well if it was an option between Littlefinger telling the story and getting the Hound v Mountain scene or just having the Hound somewhere cornered talking to Sansa then I'd prob say that Littlefinger was the way to go.

And back to waiting to let S2 ride out, we could be about to get a similar scene with drunk Hound and Sansa on her way to the godswood. Your absolutely right about the Jon stuff, yea i didn't that any of his scenes were great last Ep but whatever I now know that i want to leave a bruise on Yigrettes tailbone and/or pull a blade on her in the night.

Certainly no denying that Sandor gave the dickens out of that speech. That was awesome

Lothar

Banned

It's not about finding it out. It's about the connection between the Hound and Sansa. The scene was hugely important in setting up the relationship the two have with each other. The most important line in there is the "LOOK AT ME!" line that he screams at her because she doesn't want to see his burned face. Scenes now between the two of them come off considerably weaker with that scene missing. Why in the last episode is Sansa asking him if it gives him joy to scare people? Because he saved her life? It's so awkward and stupid with that first scene missing.

Yes it would be awesome if they just went through the book line for line like that. How about if they even had a narrator who told you what materials the clothes were made of or how food was cooked and what spice they used?

Speevy

Banned
I've been wondering something for the longest time, but I'm not really sure how to ask this without prompting a response that spoils the books. So please, don't spoil the books for me I guess...

In the show Rome,
the young boy Octavian is kidnapped. He is helpless and lying on the ground, and you figure he may die. Of course, this is not to be, and the events of the show/history lead him to outlast just about everyone. He's smart as a whip and you sense there's something about him which will lead to great things.

Likewise, the first season of Game of Thrones presents an origin story for all the characters which has them all together coexisting in relative peace (compared to now).

When the shit hits the fan, people are killed and scattered. But like many a tale you've seen before, the creators of the show framed these events in such a way that you think these younger characters are destined for great things.

Arya on the run, disguises who she is. She was there when her father was executed. Probably wants to kill anyone even remotely affiliated with the Lannisters. But she cannot just yet.

Bran (at least temporarily) overseeing Winterfell. He was crippled by one Lannister and had his father stolen from him by another.

Theon - Here's the opposite situation. An evil seed you see from the beginning. A figure of ridicule at first, but growing stronger as a Greyjoy with each new pillage and/or murder.

Tyrion - A character who immediately became the moral compass of King's Landing when he was sent to be the hand of the king.

Jaime Lannister - Chained and in the mud for a number of episodes, you just get the sense that this guy is going to have his day again. They'll wish they had killed him when they had the chance.

So there are other examples but here is my point. The common thread that ties these characters together is the biding of time. Preparations, imprisonment, subterfuge. A search for self amid all the chaos.

So like I said, this story is one you see played out in many a movie, book, or TV show. Was this intentional or is it just a coincidence?

Over the last two days I watched all 17 episodes. Great, great show. I've never read the books, nor do I care to. Season 2 is definitely better than Season 1.

Pecan1

Banned
It's not about finding it out. It's about the connection between the Hound and Sansa. The scene was hugely important in setting up the relationship the two have with each other. The most important line in there is the "LOOK AT ME!" line that he screams at her because she doesn't want to see his burned face. Scenes now between the two of them come off considerably weaker with that scene missing. Why in the last episode is Sansa asking him if it gives him joy to scare people? Because he saved her life? It's so awkward and stupid with that first scene missing.

You're right, the relationship between the Hound and Sansa isnt what it could be yet. But there are plenty of things coming up
Sansas meeting w/ the Hound after the Ser Dontos stuff in the Godswood or them during the Blackwater Battle
. At the same time the Hound Sansa relationship is weak but now we have Arya Tywin. So I think saying that its awkward or stupid is more than harsh

I'm sure there are other examples from the book like that Hound speech left out that have been worked around. Im re-reading CoKs now out of boredom mostly but LC Mormont didn't talk to John about how he wishes Craster would let him take the sons he sacrifices to be raised as members of the Watch

and in the books dude spends as much time describing cloths and food as he does giving descriptions of people. Its something i really enjoy in the books that you cant have in a tv show

Lothar

Banned
You're right, the relationship between the Hound and Sansa isnt what it could be yet. But there are plenty of things coming up
Sansas meeting w/ the Hound after the Ser Dontos stuff in the Godswood or them during the Blackwater Battle
. At the same time the Hound Sansa relationship is weak but now we have Arya Tywin. So I think saying that its awkward or stupid is more than harsh

I don't get why she's being so mean to him when he hasn't been anything but nice to her in the show. Maybe you can explain it. In the book, he is actually scary and rude to her.

and in the books dude spends as much time describing cloths and food as he does giving descriptions of people. Its something i really enjoy in the books that you cant have in a tv show

Really? So that wasn't sarcasm?

Pecan1

Banned
I think we the audience will know by the end of the season.

Sandor "The Hound" Clegane is scary and mean but rude him not

Yea dude its tight when hes going on about the feasts and stuff; like in CoK Bran is getting the "Lords Portion" and sending the good stuff to friends and sending beets and turnips to the Walders ( yea whatever there missing from the show also)

Another thing that's different hasn't turned out worse (but you wouldn't know if we hadn't seen Ep7) is in the book Dany finds the dead city and Pyrat and Daxos come to her not her begging at the gate. That whole thing is different but its still good in the show

I think the reason they are not showing it is because they are saving their money for
Episode 9, Blackwater. They specifically said they got a budget increase specifically for that battle. So them saving money on earlier episodes to go crazy in episode 9 is fine by me.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
I think we the audience will know by the end of the season.

Sandor "The Hound" Clegane is scary and mean but rude him not
I don't find him scary at all in the show. He's more like a trained dog on a leash. The Mountain in season 1 on the other hand was scary.

Pecan1

Banned
Sure I don't find him scary but I think Arya and Sansa prob find him scary. I'm sure the butchers boy found him scary.

I didnt even recognize the new Mountain when he first shows up (in the torture pit at Harrenhal right?). I was really let down that actor dropped out or whatever and I'd been hyping up the Mountain so much my firends and brother who watch
Real upset that the original mountain isnt going to get to smash in some Martell face in Season ??

Honestly if i saw a dude like the Hound on the street or somewhere in real life yea I'd prob be scared of him. I think its real tight hes got like 3 swords on him in the show

I think that for Ep. 9 (CoK) they should
have Tyrion get knocked unconscious at the beginning again and just have the battle take place around him as he lays there unconscious.

PersonaX

Only one episode left till the
battle of blackwater...i just watched the promo for episode 8 and there was nothing about Stannis, of fuck, he is just going to magically appear in front of King's Landing in episode 9 isn't he? the impact will be gone completely. What are they thinking? is all that stuff going on with Jon etc more important than setting up the huge ass battle?

edit: oopsy doopsy

Only one episode left till the battle of blackwater...i just watched the promo for episode 8 and there was nothing about Stannis, of fuck, he is just going to magically appear in front of King's Landing in episode 9 isn't he? the impact will be gone completely. What are they thinking? is all that stuff going on with Jon etc more important than setting up the huge ass battle?

The previews are often intentionally misleading. Synopsis for next week's episode
Stannis and Davos are both mentioned, so they will be there.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
This is the biggest issue for me, it sucks when your favorite story lines have to be on the receiving end of it. Especially if nothing is gained from the change. [series spoiler]
Why does Ygritte even need more screen time? She is going to have plenty of it for season 3 and 4.

Sometimes you have to appease actors when you want them to appear in future seasons more prominently. [ASOS]
e.g. Tywin. Why do you think they're featuring him so much? They needed him a few times for Season 1 but next year they need him a whole lot. The easiest way to guarantee the actor will be around for that is to increase his presence in season 2. Same with Ygritte I imagine.

gutshot

Only one episode left till the
battle of blackwater...i just watched the promo for episode 8 and there was nothing about Stannis, of fuck, he is just going to magically appear in front of King's Landing in episode 9 isn't he? the impact will be gone completely. What are they thinking? is all that stuff going on with Jon etc more important than setting up the huge ass battle?

edit: oopsy doopsy

People keep talking about wanting to see Stannis. What is it exactly you want to see? Him sailing on a boat? How is that interesting? He already mentioned his plans a couple episodes back, they've mentioned he is on his way numerous times in episodes since, and we'll probably get more mentions in the next episode. It has been well established that he is on his way to attack King's Landing.

I'm not sure I get this criticism...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom