• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones - Season 2 - George RR Martin's Song of Ice and Fire - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zabka

http://i.minus.com/iAeQ2KJ7L5Azh.gif

Who can I credit for this gif? Plywood? Or a non-GAF source?

So glorious.

That was me. I saved some space by cut out the exploding parts. Works better without the reaction shots anyway.

If they catch up to George I would LOVE a prequel season that is essentially Roberts rebellion. Would be hard because they would need to get guys like Mark Addy/Sean Bean/any dead characters back but it could be GREAT.

I think taking off for a year to do a movie would be way better. Big budget, all out. New actors.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
If they catch up to George I would LOVE a prequel season that is essentially Roberts rebellion. Would be hard because they would need to get guys like Mark Addy/Sean Bean/any dead characters back but it could be GREAT.

When they catch up to him, its done. They may be able to do a year delay, but nothing past that.

And I honestly don't see them getting through Dance/Feast material anyways.

Arment

There was never a series so ill suited for a movie franchise. The amount of material they'd have to cut to even fit it into a 10 movie run would be too much.

I wish they weren't trying so hard to make The Dark Tower into a movie franchise. It would be an incredible tv show. I'd die happy having seen The Dark Tower as a tv show done right, say thankya.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
When they catch up to him, its done. They may be able to do a year delay, but nothing past that.

And I honestly don't see them getting through Dance/Feast material anyways.

This will be my biggest question about the series for a while. How far can it really go? Will they just call it after ASOS?

Martin had so much trouble with the fourth and fifth books that it's reasonable to think he would rewrite them if he could. By this I mean they are far from untouchable in terms of adaptations and would probably be seriously condensed and changed for TV, possibly into a single season. There is a lot of "marking time" in those books that just does not make good drama. So we may run into the "series caught up to the books" problem sooner than later.

And while I doubt this was near the top of the list of concerns when they were trying to put the show together, you have to assume they discussed some vague contingency plan, at least.

iX4O1LYX1gYe7.gif

Ugh, this guy lol. Why didn't they hire somebody who just looks intimidating instead of getting this guy to stand around with the most hilarious scowly face all the time?

Strange. I don't think there is anything wrong with his look.

Don't the creatives know how the show ends? I though I remember that Martin told them.

I'm pretty sure they know the big things as much as Martin knows. The great big question would be that even if they caught up to Martin, they would actually have a lot more work to do in writing the show and coming up with plots to get to the same big plot points. So would they go on hiatus then just to figure out their own version of the plot? Or would GRRM give them a more detailed outline while he still worked on the books?

Considering they're on such a tight schedule getting 10 episodes out in the span of a year, having to create new original content would seemingly push them off that yearly release schedule, considering a great deal of the existing dialogue from the show is actually lifted straight from the books. Which isn't uncommon for HBO series, I guess. But then if they were to take a hiatus, would they just maybe have Martin write the TV episodes before the book(s)?

They could always adapt the Dunk and Egg novellas too.

I'm pretty sure they know the big things as much as Martin knows. The great big question would be that even if they caught up to Martin, they would actually have a lot more work to do in writing the show and coming up with plots to get to the same big plot points. So would they go on hiatus then just to figure out their own version of the plot? Or would GRRM give them a more detailed outline while he still worked on the books?

Considering they're on such a tight schedule getting 10 episodes out in the span of a year, having to create new original content would seemingly push them off that yearly release schedule, considering a great deal of the existing dialogue from the show is actually lifted straight from the books. Which isn't uncommon for HBO series, I guess. But then if they were to take a hiatus, would they just maybe have Martin write the TV episodes before the book(s)?

They could always adapt the Dunk and Egg novellas too.

I know Martin seems to do everything in creation except actually write ASoIaF, but there's no way he prioritizes TV episodes with new material over the books.

Mordeccai

Just ordered this:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0345534492/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Loved the blog, am really excited!

I just got this today from the bookstore! Its so great, pictures with everything and my mouth watered just looking at them. Gonna make a couple of the dishes later on this week, and eventually an entire feast. There are some neat little 'menus' on the last page that include appetizers entrees and deserts to make it a bit easier to figure out what all to put together for the most authentic feeling meal.

I know Martin seems to do everything in creation except actually write ASoIaF, but there's no way he prioritizes TV episodes with new material over the books.

Yeah, I'm just curious if whatever contract GRRM and HBO have set up stipulates what happens if it does get to the point where things catch up to the books. I recall GRRM having said in the past he'll keep plugging along with the books, but is he ok if the show more or less totally diverges from the books?

Yeah, I'm just curious if whatever contract GRRM and HBO have set up stipulates what happens if it does get to the point where things catch up to the books. I recall GRRM having said in the past he'll keep plugging along with the books, but is he ok if the show more or less totally diverges from the books?

Martin was a TV writer for many years, I'm sure he understands the realism that comes with adapting his absurdly ambitious series and that changes can and will happen for both budgetary and creative reasons.

Blastoise

Banned
What's the bet that they show
Ser Baristen getting fired from the kings guard
during the previously on section of the finale.

apana

I honestly don't think this will ever happen. Even if HBO had the right to do it I think David, Dan, and George would all need to be on the same page. Feast and Dance will be two seasons and Winds of Winter will probably have a lot of material to cover so I could see that being two seasons. We would be on season 7 before we needed to start worrying. The real question is Dream of Spring and how long that will take it.

I think all the prequel material should be turned into a film trilogy.

In the end it comes down to money and Affc and Adwd are completely unfeasible for a TV show both in terms of content and budget. Restructuring them heavily is essential. The showrunners are going to have to divurge significantly from the books there and if the show is still a big money maker, they aren't going to stop the show to cater to Grrm.

Hieberrr

I just rewatched the last episode and I have a question. Why did the Hound say "Fuck the King's Guard. Fuck the city. Fuck the King."? I know he lost his men, but why did he say that? Did he realize that fighting for the prick was pointless?

apana

In the end it comes down to money and Affc and Adwd are completely unfeasible for a TV show both in terms of content and budget. Restructuring them heavily is essential. The showrunners are going to have to divurge significantly from the books there and if the show is still a big money maker, they aren't going to stop the show to cater to Grrm.

People say this a lot but I'm not sure what exactly is unfilmable about it. After the books are combined together they can cut some of the fat out and you have yourself two seasons worth of material.

I just rewatched the last episode and I have a question. Why did the Hound say "Fuck the King's Guard. Fuck the city. Fuck the King."? I know he lost his men, but why did he say that? Did he realize that fighting for the prick was pointless?

He was exhausted, angry... and terrified.

Wray

People say this a lot but I'm not sure what exactly is unfilmable about it. After the books are combined together they can cut some of the fat out and you have yourself two seasons worth of material.

I still see Feast and Dance being merged into 1 season with certain chapters and plotlines moved up to S4.

- The entire Iron Islands Kingsmoot plot from Feast moved to S4.

- A handful of Dany's chapters from Dance. I bet she conquers Mereen during the first half of S4, then the last 3-4 episodes are Dance material. Possibly ending with her decision to marry that noble dude with the super long name. To be fair though, there's not alot of good season ending break points from Dance.

I can see her S5 story then being the rest of Dance culminating with the giant Mereen battle that seems about to happen in the beginning of Winds.

- Early Jon and Theon chapters from Dance can easily be moved up to Season 4. Jon's season can end with him beheading Janos Slynt or letting the Wildlings through the Wall. Both of those would work nicely as a ending point.

- Theon's S4 arc can end with Ramsay flaying the Ironborn after they surrender.

- Tyrion can also have some of his Dance chapters moved up. If I remember correctly, Tyrion spends a good number of early chapters from Dance in Pentos, then on a boat with Aegon. Pentos can use the same location they used for Kings Landing to film and ship scenes would be easy enough to do, so budget wise it's totally doable. I think using the Aegon reveal would be a great season ending moment.

Did you read the books? If so, read this.

MAJOR series spoilers (SERIOUSLY)
In the books, Stannis and Melisandre hold a ceremony thing in which they curse all of the false kings to death. Renly they directly kill, and whether by coincidence or some strange workings, Robb, Balon, and Joffrey all die as well eventually. It is definitely a bit strange they left this out of the show.

EDIT: And I've ballsed it up, apparently this scene is actually in Book 3. So it may well be put in. My bad.

If not, just know that the books have an explanation for it and there is really no good answer to that question based on the show alone at this point.

I'm fairly certain that scene is going to be in Ep10. Watch the Stannis featurette video, and there's a scene that hasn't aired yet between Stannis and Mel talking while looking into some type of fire pit. It's around the 1:15 mark. Plus before the season aired Carice Van Houten stated she was only going to be in episodes 1,2,4 and 10. So we know she is going to be in the finale.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VARwvVJxnYw

Why didn't Stannis send a ghost after Joffrey instead of Renly? Never really got that.

edit: sorry for doublepost, should've just edited my old one.

Killing Joffery wouldn't truly benefit him. While it would make Cersei the Queen Reagent, ultimately Tywin and Tyrion would rule - which would mean the Lannisters would be better off/more dangerous. Whereas killing Renly allowed Stannis to secure a larger army

(it would make Tommen the king, but he'd be too young to do anything but sign decrees)

Cloudy

Banned
10 eps is too short for this show IMO. I've read the books so it's easier for me but people new to the series have to be dizzy after each ep lol

Why exactly can't they have 12 or 15 or something? The audience is there and so is the content. Does HBO only have 10 weeks allotted to air it? I really feel a bit more character development would really improve the show cos the pacing is just too fast IMO

pulga

Banned
10 eps is too short for this show IMO. I've read the books so it's easier for me but people new to the series have to be dizzy after each ep lol

Why exactly can't they have 12 or 15 or something? The audience is there and so is the content. Does HBO only have 10 weeks allotted to air it? I really feel a bit more character development would really improve the show cos the pacing is just too fast IMO

They don't have the time to film more episodes.

He is terrified of fire. Remember from season 1 the story about how The Mountain held his face down in the coals burning half his face off?

That was the final straw I think, he has been clearly showing a resentment towards Joffrey this season as well, and all that fire sent him off the deep end.

Cloudy

Banned
He is terrified of fire. Remember from season 1 the story about how The Mountain held his face down in the coals burning half his face off?

Thing is, if you didn't read the book you might have forgotten this. They did a crappy job with that and other character development outside of Tyrion, Arya and Joffrey IMO. Sorry but the, "don't let the fire come near me" line wasn't good enough..

Would it have hurt to have a forshawowing scene somewhere earlier this season that showed his aversion to fire? The show is good but little omissions like that really put a fly in the ointment :p

Vice

Thing is, if you didn't read the book you might have forgotten this. They did a crappy job with that and other character development outside of Tyrion, Arya and Joffrey IMO.

Would it have hurt to have a forshawowing scene somewhere earlier this season that showed his aversion to fire? The show is good but little omissions like that really put a fly in the ointment :p

I believe someone, Tyrion(?), spooked him with fire while waiting for Stannis' fleet to show up.

Cloudy

Banned
What? her character hasn't developed as much as it did in the books at this point.

That shows how bad the show is in that aspect since she's one of the more fleshed-out characters. For a series that has the chapters done in first person narrative, it's pretty disappointing IMO

Loofy

Oh wow.
This particular exec took me to one side and said, “Look, I represent the pervert side of the audience, okay? Everybody else is the serious drama side—I represent the perv side of the audience, and I’m saying I want full frontal nudity in this scene.” So you go ahead and do it.

Memles

I believe someone, Tyrion(?), spooked him with fire while waiting for Stannis' fleet to show up.

That was my favorite little detail in the episode...but I only noticed it because I know the Hound is afraid of fire. While I thought it was a nice subtle bit of foreshadowing to what would eventually go down, and was likely a detail George scripted given his attention to such things, it probably didn't help the non-readers except on rewatch.

Pkaz01

That shows how bad the show is in that aspect since she's one of the more fleshed-out characters. For a series that has the chapters done in first person narrative, it's pretty disappointing IMO

Series spoilers
well i saw that coming since the first episode and when they said talisa would be introduced this season and jaime would get more scenes. If any major character was going to take a hit as far as page to screen adaptation goes it was going to be Arya because her storyline is so far and away from the war of the five kings. Its sad because she arguably has one of if not the best arc in the first three books and acok did so much to develop it, being a cup bearer isn't quite as rage and vengeance inducing as being beaten and threatened everyday.

Also the amount of declawing they did to her character is sad.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
I'm fairly certain that scene is going to be in Ep10. Watch the Stannis featurette video, and there's a scene that hasn't aired yet between Stannis and Mel talking while looking into some type of fire pit. It's around the 1:15 mark. Plus before the season aired Carice Van Houten stated she was only going to be in episodes 1,2,4 and 10. So we know she is going to be in the finale.

ASOS
Interesting. Definitely didn't expect to see much if any of Stannis and crew tonight. I wonder if that means we'll see Davos tonight or if they'll still leave that to Season 3.

Gregorn

SOS
This episode is going to be full of spoilers with that and the House of the Undying.

Season finale tonight!
Valar Morghulis

Tyrion awakens to a changed situation. King Joffrey doles out rewards to his subjects. As Theon stirs his men to action, Luwin offers some final advice. Brienne silences Jaime; Arya receives a gift from Jaqen; Dany goes to a strange place; Jon proves himself to Qhorin.

It's necessary to close off all their stories for the season in this episode. But that just once again sounds like too much to chew in one episode. Last one felt so refreshing in that it only focused on a few characters.

Do you cut down the synopses for the No Spoilers thread yourself or do you get them somewhere? Just curious.
I occasionally excise a sentence or two of the really obviously spoilerish stuff, but most of the time I just give them the short version while we get the longer version.

- Access Hollywood: Tom Wlaschiha – Get To Know The Actor Behind Jaqen H’ghar *spoilers*
- NY Daily News: Expect chilling climax in ‘Game of Thrones’ season finale
- Denver Post: "Game of Thrones" author George R.R. Martin on sex, violence and T.V.
- Maroon 5 Payphone PARODY: Game of Thrones! Key Of Awesome #59 (bizarre youtube parody song)

Ah, I didn't know there were 2 versions.
I think HBO only sends out the official, long version. A bunch of other places (e.g. DVR listings) cut it down for length, so I just grab one of those that seems appropriate.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
(ACOK)
House of the Undying
, bitches, let's hope some of the budget went there.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
- Access Hollywood: Tom Wlaschiha – Get To Know The Actor Behind Jaqen H’ghar *spoilers*
- NY Daily News: Expect chilling climax in ‘Game of Thrones’ season finale
- Denver Post: "Game of Thrones" author George R.R. Martin on sex, violence and T.V.
- Maroon 5 Payphone PARODY: Game of Thrones! Key Of Awesome #59 (bizarre youtube parody song)

I think HBO only sends out the official, long version. A bunch of other places (e.g. DVR listings) cut it down for length, so I just grab one of those that seems appropriate.

From the NY Daily News one:

spoilers to be safe in that it mentions a specific fake scene that doesn't happen
And to play a trick on its young star, show-runners David Bienoff and D.B. Weiss sent Allen a fake script for the finale. “They kind of added a scene where Bran jumps out and stabs me in the chest and says, ‘This is my Winterfell, not yours,’ ” says Allen. “And [the instruction] goes, ‘Theon lies on the floor dead.’

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/entertai...season-finale-article-1.1088973#ixzz1wk94vWyg

Just finished season one. I understand why people like this but I would have loved actual vilain, instead of sissy bitches and winny kids taking down of entire honorable kinghts orders.

Also, boobs

The S2 marathon is continuing on HBO Zone - Blackwater is on right now. They're going to start the whole thing again at the top of the hour in case anyone wants to watch all 10 episodes in a row.

From the NY Daily News one:
I doubt Bran will be doing a lot of jumping this episode. Will be interesting to see where they leave Theon at the end of the season.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom