• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones - Season 2 - George RR Martin's Song of Ice and Fire - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dragons don't grow in confined spaces and they eat any sort of cooked meat.

Didn't realise we had a dragon expert on our hands! (Why was Dany keeping them in cages then?)

On a more serious note: would the Northerners side with the Lannisters to take out the Wildlings if they crossed the wall, or vice versa?

Speevy

Banned
Why is it that certain characters are more than willing to accept the existence of dragons, but they doubt magic and other fantastic creatures?

Forkball

Why is it that certain characters are more than willing to accept the existence of dragons, but they doubt magic and other fantastic creatures?

Dragons were well recorded sights in ancient times, especially since the guy who created the Iron Throne rode over to Westeros on a bunch of dragons and burned things up. People take note of that.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
For some reason I thought it was implied that Bronn is quietly one of the best fighters in the world. I could certainly be wrong about that though.

Nice work on the gifs, Plywood.

For some reason I thought it was implied that Bronn is quietly one of the best fighters in the world. I could certainly be wrong about that though.
He seems pretty ruthlessly effective. In a 'fair' fight, I think the Hound would take him apart, but it's never really a clean fight with Bronn, eh?

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
After doing a quick search, I found a time when Tyrion says that Bronn fights as well as Jaime does. Whether he meant that or not is questionable, but that's definitely what I was remembering.

LuchaShaq

Banned
I'd probably be a lot less interested in the show at this point if I hadn't read the books. This season has been pretty lackluster. It started out well, but hasn't gone on to much.The Blackwater turned out great, but probably came at the expense of a lot of other stuff (a damned if you do damned if you don't deal for them). Part of the problem is the source material which is weaker than agot, the other part is their generally poor adaptation of the material. Having read the books I at least know that ASOS is next and their devoting ~20 hours to it so it should be incredibly hard to fuck it up. Hopefully what's coming will make up for this relatively weak season and maybe fix some of the mistakes they've made.

Edit: As much as I like Bronn, the Hound would murder him.

If I didn't read the books I would have bailed sometime early in this season.

That said I have ZERO patience for tv shows that don't click with me.

bengraven

Nice work on the gifs, Plywood.

He seems pretty ruthlessly effective. In a 'fair' fight, I think the Hound would take him apart, but it's never really a clean fight with Bronn, eh?

Didn't George once say who he thought were the best sword fighters in the realm? I'm fairly certain Jaime was number one, then maybe the Hound and someone else were number 2.

ALSO FINALE TOMORROW WOOOOOOOOOOOo
:D

Didn't George once say who he thought were the best sword fighters in the realm? I'm fairly certain Jaime was number one, then maybe the Hound and someone else were number 2.
I was looking for an answer on this and stumbled upon...our S1 thread. The conversation starts at post #12443. There's a few comments in there from apana, Puddles, and a few of the other usual suspects. I'm sure GRRM has weighed in on this at some point, but it sounds like it would depend on the situation.

apana

If you've read the books you basically know who the top 3 or 4 are. Technically it is supposed to be like real life so there is no "best" swordsman. In the books the Starks aren't big on swords, they are just effective commanders and soldiers. Brandon Stark was the best swordsman among the Starks in the books. Ned gets a power boost in the show to get up to Jaime's level.

Levi

Banned
Does anyone think HOTU is going to be good? It's clearly not going to be the book version. I guess as long as we get
fire and blood
, that's about the best we can hope for.

RE: Winterfell, if Cleftjaw turns out
to be Reek/the Bastard of Bolton
I might be done with this show. I'd rather he turn out
to be imaginary.
, even though that would be real dumb. (Both of those spoilers are actual fan theories.)

If we don't get any resolution to Winterfell, I'll be disappointed, if they do it in a way that leaves out
Ramsay Snow
, I'll be disappointed. I'm pretty sure they're gonna fuck this storyline as bad as they fucked up Arya's. Since Theon and Arya are my two favorite storylines, you can maybe see why so far I rate this season so much lower than the first.

Please let Ghost show up in the finale. His absence after John's capture is intolerable.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
They fucking nailed Blackwater, so I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt here.
Definitely agree here. Blackwater made me feel much more positive about them not fucking up big events I have solid expectations for HOTU.

to be imaginary.
, even though that would be real dumb. (Both of those spoilers are actual fan theories.)

If we don't get any resolution to Winterfell, I'll be disappointed, if they do it in a way that leaves out
Ramsey Snow
, I'll be disappointed. I'm pretty sure they're gonna fuck this storyline as bad as they fucked up Arya's. Since Theon and Arya are my two favorite storylines, you can maybe see why so far I rate this season so much lower than the first.

{ACOK, Theon}
I doubt they'll do the Dagmer= Ramsay thing. By the look of the promo picture of Theon getting his guys fired up, it looks more like they'll get ready to fight Ramsay's forces. I'm wondering if maybe Luwin advises Theon to take the Black or something. Theon refuses and tries to get his guys psyched up for a hopeless fight, only for Ramsay and his men to give an ultimatum- give up Theon and Winterfell and they'll be left to leave. Then maybe Dagmer betrays Theon to Ramsay, who then ends up killing Dagmer and storming into Winterfell and razing it to the ground anyway.

My big question is how they'll treat Ramsay since they seemingly haven't cast him yet. Just keep a helmet on him and don't have him speak?

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Does anyone think HOTU is going to be good? It's clearly not going to be the book version. I guess as long as we get
fire and blood
, that's about the best we can hope for.

to be imaginary.

Ramsey Snow

Please let Ghost show up in the finale. His absence after John's capture is intolerable.

ACOK/ASOS
It has to be the biggest question mark of the season by far. I think the show has made a good record thus far of nailing the biggest events, certainly in the first season and the Blackwater as well. But I really don't know what to expect. Will we see a Rhaegar, anything about a prophecy? Will we see any foreshadowing of the Red Wedding? I have truly no idea.

But all the budget was already spent on Blackwater :p

Yeah. They've been pushing the time and money they spent on Blackwater all season. The other thing, not so much, as far as I've heard. :p

to be imaginary.

That doesn't seem plausible, fortunately. I mean,
Theon met him in Pyke. That really beggars belief that Ramsay could disguise himself as a celebrated Pyke warrior right under the Greyjoys' noses.
I hope.

apana

ACOK/ASOS
It has to be the biggest question mark of the season by far. I think the show has made a good record thus far of nailing the biggest events, certainly in the first season and the Blackwater as well. But I really don't know what to expect. Will we see a Rhaegar, anything about a prophecy? Will we see any foreshadowing of the Red Wedding? I have truly no idea.

No he won't be on the show, I wanted him to be but I have a strong gut feeling that it would be too much of a hassle for the producers. It's kind of strange, I had so many expectations when the season started but now that the moment is finally here I have none. Except for maybe Jon I am fine with however they choose to end the storylines for this season.

Pkaz01

They fucking nailed Blackwater, so I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt here.

they nailed blackwater because GRRM wrote the episode and there was no one there to fuck it all up. No GRRm and we would start off with a convo between tyrion and ros or something

No he won't be on the show, I wanted him to be but I have a strong gut feeling that it would be too much of a hassle for the producers.

COK but also series:
Why would it be a hassle? Especially if they are thinking long term and want to set some things in motion for Aegon. They probably wouldn't show his death at the Ruby Ford but everything else I can see as being done.

And HBO has done really trippy shit in the past. I keep saying it, but The Sopranos "Test Dream" episode was basically a 20+ minute weird dream sequence. I do fully expect Drogo and Viserys to show up. Who knows maybe they'll throw in a good ol' Sean Bean cameo in some way too.

iX4O1LYX1gYe7.gif

Ugh, this guy lol. Why didn't they hire somebody who just looks intimidating instead of getting this guy to stand around with the most hilarious scowly face all the time?

apana

COK but also series:
Why would it be a hassle? Especially if they are thinking long term and want to set some things in motion for Aegon. They probably wouldn't show his death at the Ruby Ford but everything else I can see as being done.

And HBO has done really trippy shit in the past. I keep saying it, but The Sopranos "Test Dream" episode was basically a 20+ minute weird dream sequence. I do fully expect Drogo and Viserys to show up. Who knows maybe they'll throw in a good ol' Sean Bean cameo in some way too.

[series spoiler]
They didn't even have Meera, Jojen, or Reek in season 2 and those are characters that are still around. I doubt they are going to go through the trouble of finding a good Rhaegar, a very hard character to cast, and then wonder whether or not that actor will still be available if they have to do any Rhaegar scenes in the future. I would be more than happy to be proven wrong though, I really liked that scene in the books. Not to mention they would probably have to cast Elia as well. Oh and we would have found out by now wouldn't we if they actually had cast a Rhaegar for season 2? Unless George RR Martin does a cameo as Rhaegar. He's already got the silver hair!

Maffis

Why didn't Stannis send a ghost after Joffrey instead of Renly? Never really got that.

edit: sorry for doublepost, should've just edited my old one.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Why didn't Stannis send a ghost after Joffrey instead of Renly? Never really got that.

Did you read the books? If so, read this.

MAJOR series spoilers (SERIOUSLY)
In the books, Stannis and Melisandre hold a ceremony thing in which they curse all of the false kings to death. Renly they directly kill, and whether by coincidence or some strange workings, Robb, Balon, and Joffrey all die as well eventually. It is definitely a bit strange they left this out of the show.

EDIT: And I've ballsed it up, apparently this scene is actually in Book 3. So it may well be put in. My bad.

If not, just know that the books have an explanation for it and there is really no good answer to that question based on the show alone at this point.

iX4O1LYX1gYe7.gif

Ugh, this guy lol. Why didn't they hire somebody who just looks intimidating instead of getting this guy to stand around with the most hilarious scowly face all the time?

I would assume that "hilarious" scowl on his face is on purpose (because his tongue has been ripped out and all) What sort of faces do you think you would make if your tongue had been cut out?

I was still wondering if Stannis sent the Shadow Assassin out to kill Renly or if his Lord of Light girlfriend did it without his permission. I know in war you gotta do what you gotta do, but the Assassin just didnt seem like Stannis' style to me.

In the books, Stannis and Melisandre hold a ceremony thing in which they curse all of the false kings to death. Renly they directly kill, and whether by coincidence or some strange workings, Robb, Balon, and Joffrey all die as well eventually. It is definitely a bit strange they left this out of the show.

If not, just know that the books have a better explanation for it and there is really no good answer to that question based on the show alone.
I'm pretty sure that happens in ASOS, so they didn't leave it out yet. Though it'd probably be a good idea if they did, because it'd be too obvious foreshadowing and the audience might think Melisandre's curse actually killed those Kings.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
I'm pretty sure that happens in ASOS, so they didn't leave it out yet. Though it'd probably be a good idea if they did, because it'd be too obvious foreshadowing and the audience might think Melisandre's curse actually killed those Kings.

Yeah I mixed it up and edited my post. I do kind of agree the scene might be too obvious if they put it on the show, but then it does kind of leave open questions like the original one I responded to.

I would assume that "hilarious" scowl on his face is on purpose (because his tongue has been ripped out and all) What sort of faces do you think you would make if your tongue had been cut out?

It certainly makes sense for the character to scowl and I'm sure he was described as such in the books but he just comes off as an actor straining his face to make an absurd scowl. I chuckle every time I see him.

Maffis

EDIT: And I've ballsed it up, apparently this scene is actually in Book 3. So it may well be put in. My bad.

If not, just know that the books have an explanation for it and there is really no good answer to that question based on the show alone at this point.

I did read the books.
Totally forgot about that. Is Robb's and Joffrey's deaths really the work of Melisandre though? It might be she foresaw their demise and didn't think it was neccessary to act upon them. But if they had, so many lives could've been spared. They could've taken King's Landing with ease.

I did read the books.
Totally forgot about that. Is Robb's and Joffrey's deaths really the work of Melisandre though? It might be she foresaw their demise and didn't think it was neccessary to act upon them. But if they had, so many lives could've been spared. They could've taken King's Landing with ease.
It's doubtful that she had any effect on their deaths. There's no reason to believe Melisandre can kill people by burning leeches, and her ADWD POV would suggest to me that she doesn't have that sort of power. She's likely putting on a show for Stannis, like with the fake Lightbringer.

Lothar

Banned

The real answer is what would be gained from it? Then Tommen would be the king and Tyrion, the Hound, Loras, Tywin all would be fighting Stannis exactly the same.

It certainly makes sense for the character to scowl and I'm sure he was described as such in the books but he just comes off as an actor straining his face to make an absurd scowl. I chuckle every time I see him.
That guy is hilarious. I think it's his first acting gig - he's a musician by trade. There's an entertaining interview with him here.

3u1ce.jpg
lyUaa.jpg

LuchaShaq

Banned
It's doubtful that she had any effect on their deaths. There's no reason to believe Melisandre can kill people by burning leeches, and her ADWD POV would suggest to me that she doesn't have that sort of power. She's likely putting on a show for Stannis, like with the fake Lightbringer.

This related spoilers

When she talks about Jon foolishly not taking the king's tower as his quarters/not keeping guards she thinks he is foolish for not shunning the "trappings of power".

If she see's the deaths of Robb/Joffrey/Balon there is no reason not to let Stannis think she/R'hollr are not partially responsible.

Also when she knows/does about mance/Lord O'Bones switch/Edric storm etc it's just a way for Stannis/Davos/Jon to "win" without sacrificing anything themselves.

As for the other post about Renly.

Stannis/Shadow baby killing Renly doubled/tripled the size of Stannis' forces because all the storm lord/reach that joined renly besides the Tyrells went over to Stannis. Killing Joffrey just puts a less psycho lannister kid on the throne. Little change.

LuchaShaq

Banned
No he won't be on the show, I wanted him to be but I have a strong gut feeling that it would be too much of a hassle for the producers. It's kind of strange, I had so many expectations when the season started but now that the moment is finally here I have none. Except for maybe Jon I am fine with however they choose to end the storylines for this season.

If they catch up to George I would LOVE a prequel season that is essentially Roberts rebellion. Would be hard because they would need to get guys like Mark Addy/Sean Bean/any dead characters back but it could be GREAT.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom