• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones - Season 2 - George RR Martin's Song of Ice and Fire - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.
batmankid_joffrey.jpg

He has come far.

I noticed this immediately. The kid was beyond hideous in batman begins and I never forget a face. I think they must have cast him partially because he kind of looks inbred.

Fantastic actor though.

MNC

Finished aSoS part 1. Good read, sets up quite some stuff.

A BEAR, A BEAR

Man, they have to fucking use that song in season 3!

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
I noticed this immediately. The kid was beyond hideous in batman begins and I never forget a face. I think they must have cast him partially because he kind of looks inbred.

Fantastic actor though.

He looks like he's still 12. I couldn't believe it when I heard he was 20 in Game of Thrones.

Monocle

Really, judgment is still to pass as to whether the books are literary classics. I have reservations about the GRRM's ability to close the series well. If he fails in doing that i can't imagine people will read the series the way they do LoTR or study Shakespeare's War of the Roses plays.
GRRM is a deft storyteller, a wonderfully subtle character writer, and a mostly mediocre stylist. Even with better editing, ASOIAF wouldn't have much literary merit. The prose is very sloppy. Lots of awkward and probably unintentional repetition of words like "ponderous"—whole phrases too. Stylistic quirks are pardonable until their accretion becomes distracting, as GRRM's has since the very first book in the series. It's sad to have to say, because GRRM is so clearly capable of better. There are picturesque phrases scattered throughout ASOIAF. Some chapters have real poetic force. If only he could maintain that quality with something approaching consistency, he might just deserve to be favored with those Tolkien comparisons that overenthused reviewers like to make.

Literature or not, the series is shaping up to be an influential work in fantasy and a major accomplishment in its own right. GRRM's world is sufficiently compelling to be remembered alongside Harry Potter. I honestly don't think I'm damning him with faint praise here; it's not easy to create a distinctive original universe with characters and places and events that are complex enough to be interesting yet coherent enough to sustain interest and withstand intense scrutiny from invested fans.

If you want to read some undeniably literary genre fiction, try Gene Wolfe's The Fifth Head of Cerberus, The Book of the New Sun (Pt. 1 and Pt. 2), and it sequel, The Urth of the New Sun.

GRRM is a deft storyteller, a wonderfully subtle character writer, and a mostly mediocre stylist. Even with better editing, ASOIAF wouldn't have much literary merit. The prose is very sloppy. Lots of awkward and probably unintentional repetition of words like "ponderous"—whole phrases too. Stylistic quirks are pardonable until their accretion becomes distracting, as GRRM's has since the very first book in the series. It's sad to have to say, because GRRM is so clearly capable of better. There are picturesque phrases scattered throughout ASOIAF. Some chapters have real poetic force. If only he could maintain that quality with something approaching consistency, he might just deserve to be favored with those Tolkien comparisons that overenthused reviewers like to make.

Literature or not, the series is shaping up to be an influential work in fantasy and a major accomplishment in its own right. GRRM's world is sufficiently compelling to be remembered alongside Harry Potter. I honestly don't think I'm damning him with faint praise here; it's not easy to create a distinctive original universe with characters and places and events that are complex enough to be interesting yet coherent enough to sustain interest and withstand intense scrutiny from invested fans.

If you want to read some undeniably literary genre fiction, try Gene Wolfe's The Fifth Head of Cerberus, The Book of the New Sun (Pt. 1 and Pt. 2), and it sequel, The Urth of the New Sun.
such as Tolkien's verbosity.

anyway, I understand what you're saying. Martin's repetition of certain phrases is annoying at times.

Monocle

Middle Earth is a skeleton that Tolkien designed to give form and expression to his interests in language and history, and to his great love for the pastoral. I guess you can shoot down his enterprise on its original basis if you really want to, but I think you'd be missing the point of the whole thing.

anyway, I understand what you're saying. Martin's repetition of certain phrases is annoying at times.
Yeah. In spite of all that, ASOIAF is one of my favorite series. Such great characters. And ASOS is such an amazing payoff to so many of the earlier subplots that I'm willing to forgive GRRM almost any kind of bullshit. Just as long as he finishes the series.

Lothar

Banned

That's right. There's a lot of people that consider Lord of the Rings to be unreadable because of Tolkien's verbosity. I'm one of them. I thought LOTR was a chore to get through. You rarely hear that about GRRM's writing.

The parts of LOTR that were good were good in spite of the tedious overly descriptive writing.

I think it's in ASoS, where
Jaime returns to the white tower in King's Landing, and GRRM literally adds "white" as a descriptor to everything in the room.
I get what he's going for, but at the same time...yeesh. Almost pulpy at moments like that.

Actually, realizing that the show has an expiration date has cured me of my bitterness. Time will pass, and long after the show is off the air, the books will be still be discovered and read. Why should I lose sleep over their treatment of material that will long outlast their adaptation?

Luckily, either the show's current trendiness will evaporate or they'll catch up to GRRM or both, and the show will go away, be just that much more pop culture detritus only nerds remember. Meanwhile, the books will continue to endure, as they already have for decades.

10 years from now, a young nerd discovers the books, loves them. Asks his friend, "Didn't they make this into a show?".

"Don't bother," the older, wiser friend replies. "It sucks."

I haven't been reading this thread for fear of constant book spoilers (there's separate threads for this, ffs! Putting them in spoiler tags doesn't make it OK) but please tell me this guy above is in the minority with his opinion on the show? The show is unbelievable, it's one of the best shows ever. What the fuck. I don't care how good the books are, the show is incredible. I get giddy every time a new ep airs and the wait for next season is going to be brutal.

Meier

Actually, realizing that the show has an expiration date has cured me of my bitterness. Time will pass, and long after the show is off the air, the books will be still be discovered and read. Why should I lose sleep over their treatment of material that will long outlast their adaptation?

Keep dreaming. Nerds will move on to something else once this and done -- as much as I've enjoyed the books, GRRM is no Tolkien. "Game of Thrones" will be remembered as a TV show more than a book series.

I haven't been reading this thread for fear of constant book spoilers (there's separate threads for this, ffs! Putting them in spoiler tags doesn't make it OK) but please tell me this guy above is in the minority with his opinion on the show? The show is unbelievable, it's one of the best shows ever. What the fuck. I don't care how good the books are, the show is incredible. I get giddy every time a new ep airs and the wait for next season is going to be brutal.

he is. it is a great show and the viewership and reviews reflect that, despite the outcries of the vocal few. in his case, raging, impotent, nerd mewling.

I know this is not the thread for it, but I don't know if there's a better one.

A Storm of Swords spoilers
[ASOS]
This book is too fucking depressing! Goddamn FU GRRM!

I'm literally depressed. Been reading it this past weekend, still a couple hundred pages to go...

Youll get undepressed soon enough... only to get depressed once again... sigh...

Levi

Banned
Keep dreaming. Nerds will move on to something else once this and done -- as much as I've enjoyed the books, GRRM is no Tolkien. "Game of Thrones" will be remembered as a TV show more than a book series.

I disagree, obviously. I suspect the show will be like the X-Files, remembered by some but nobody will care anymore. The books will settle back down to year 2000 levels of popularity, which is fine with me. Acceptance by the literati-who cares. They can read Thomas Pynchon and Delilo, I'll be rereading these books for the 20th time. :)

TV nerds will turn on this as hard as they did against the Walking Dead show if the quality doesn't improve. That finale was not popular with the general fans I've talked to. Not scientific, sure, but neither is claiming this show will be some pop culture touchstone for decades just to spite book purists.

History will vindicate me! Or it won't. Not really a big deal either way.

The book series will be remembered for a long time, like many great fantasy series are. Who knows what the show will be remembered as. I'd imagine many mainstream folks will always remember it as a show, long after it loses popularity. The show's relevance as such a huge project will certainly be remembered and discussed. The show's quality...eh who knows. I can't see anyone looking back at this era of television and listing GoT as anything more than a decent show, but that's just my opinion. It's not Mad Men, Breaking Bad, Homeland, or other shows that will remain staples of quality and bench marks for future shows.

Meanwhile the books' legacy will remain in tact, even if a new series surpasses it in popularity/quality

If you think this is one of the best shows ever you really need to watch more television. It isn't even one of the best dramas currently in production.

Ghost23

I'm up to the second half of season two, but I stopped watching for a little to catch up on all the Breaking Bad seasons. After finishing Breaking Bad, I dont have much interest to watch the rest of GoT because it just doesn't seem as well made. I don't know what BB did. Maybe I just need to take a break on TV shows.

Lakitu

st5fu
I'm up to the second half of season two, but I stopped watching for a little to catch up on all the Breaking Bad seasons. After finishing Breaking Bad, I dont have much interest to watch the rest of GoT because it just doesn't seem as well made. I don't know what BB did. Maybe I just need to take a break on TV shows.

If you compare all modern tv to Breaking Bad, then you may aswell give up now.

Massa

I disagree, obviously. I suspect the show will be like the X-Files, remembered by some but nobody will care anymore. The books will settle back down to year 2000 levels of popularity, which is fine with me. Acceptance by the literati-who cares. They can read Thomas Pynchon and Delilo, I'll be rereading these books for the 20th time. :)

And some people will be watching the show for the 20th time. That really shouldn't bother you.

It's quite frustrating. The show does so many technical and production things right, it's a shame the writing and directing are so pedestrian most of the time. While I feel Breaking Bad is overrated in many regards, it's still stunning more often than not. The writing and directing especially stand out, and frames the show in such an appealing and impressive way. Given the beautiful locations and good acting in GoT I can't help but constantly lament the show failing to meet its potential 6-8 times a season.

Watch The Sopranos, the Wire and Mad Men too. Might as well go up.

Levi

Banned
And some people will be watching the show for the 20th time. That really shouldn't bother you.

Oh, nothing the show or its fan does bothers me. Every post I've made the last two days is about my Epiphany that HBO is producing AU fan-fiction with a budget, and that no matter how much they miss the point of the text, the text won't be damaged. :)

I'm even rooting for the new season to be good. Stranger things have happened! They have a good enough cast that I think they could do the characters justice. Will they? Time will tell.

Yeah I've given up hope on the wolves being decently portrayed.

Yeah because they moved to filming the wolves and then digitally placing them in scenes, I'd hoped that meant they would have a significant presence in season 2, but it didn't happen, so at this point I've accepted that they will never get the presence they do in the books.

Hell, they wrote Ghost out of the story in the second half of season 2.

leng jai

Just marathoned the first season today after getting the bluray set. Probably one of the most beautiful transfers around.

Is there a thread on GAF for season 1?

Dany

Banned
Just marathoned the first season today after getting the bluray set. Probably one of the most beautiful transfers around.

Is there a thread on GAF for season 1?

I think it was closed when this thread went up. Great show, I marathoned through 8 episodes of GOT before watching it live with everyone else.

a little over halfway through ACOK atm. So good.

show or book? I really want to go back to book 2 and three considering the lack of riverrun and the tullys in book 2.

I always love reading Catylen chapters, in book 1 and 2. I'd put her behind Tyrion and Jon as my favorite to read in book 1,2.

leng jai

I think it was closed when this thread went up. Great show, I marathoned through 8 episodes of GOT before watching it live with everyone else.

show or book? I really want to go back to book 2 and three considering the lack of riverrun and the tullys in book 2.

I always love reading Catylen chapters, in book 1 and 2. I'd put her behind Tyrion and Jon as my favorite to read in book 1,2.

Anyone got a link to the season 1 thread? Can't find it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom