• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones - Season 2 - George RR Martin's Song of Ice and Fire - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry for not being clear. I was proposing a rewrite of the character, not moving up a future event.

[SERIES]
I would say that Greatjon's role in the first three books, and even moreso in the first two seasons of the show, that anything he may or may not do in the subsequent books could be assigned to other characters without much damage.

Oh, phew. The show has a habit of
"speeding up" some characters' fates
, so I thought that's what you were inferring. My bad!

gutshot

Who says both will broadcast? Or that it's been split? Has that been confirmed? All that has been announced is a third season.

The book will be split into two seasons, that has been confirmed by David & Dan, as well as GRRM. Obviously, HBO is only on the hook for one of those seasons right now, but it seems very, very likely that the show will receive a fourth season.

The book will be split into two seasons, that has been confirmed by David & Dan, as well as GRRM. Obviously, HBO is only on the hook for one of those seasons right now, but it seems very, very likely that the show will receive a fourth season.

Cool, I thought they had only expressed a desire for it.

Thud

Cool, I thought they had only expressed a desire for it.

It's because they can't cover the whole book in one HBO season without some severe cutting. A fourth season is almost certain considering the popularity of this show and the way Martin writes (cliffhangers).

aparisi2274

eeb417f2c79811e1abd612313810100a_7.jpg

Can someone please help me figure out who the actor is in the middle of the back row? I can place all the actors and George RR Martin, but I can not figure out who the guy in the middle is...

Thanks!!!

gutshot

eeb417f2c79811e1abd612313810100a_7.jpg

Can someone please help me figure out who the actor is in the middle of the back row? I can place all the actors and George RR Martin, but I can not figure out who the guy in the middle is...

Thanks!!!

It's Dan "D.B." Weiss, one of the showrunners of Game of Thrones. To his right is his partner, David Benioff.

Dany

Banned
You know, as much as I like DWD. They should really just condense affc/DWD into one season. Stretching those two books for two seasons makes me yawn just thinking about it.

Diablos54

You know, as much as I like DWD. They should really just condense affc/DWD into one season. Stretching those two books for two seasons makes me yawn just thinking about it.
Impossible. There's a reason they were split up into 2 books in the first place.

Thud

No they shouldn't and they can't. The show will catch up too fast, Martin is nowhere near finished. Well it doesn't change the fact that both books are boring to a certain degree.

Massa

No they shouldn't and they can't. The show will catch up too fast, Martin is nowhere near finished. Well it doesn't change the fact that both books are boring to a certain degree.

They have at least four seasons with ASOS, AFFC and ADWD. By then GRRM will probably have at least a rough draf they can use for season 7, and then they can do season 8 on their own to finish it off.

Impossible. There's a reason they were split up into 2 books in the first place.

Eh, I think it might be. Feast and Dance have a trillion characters and so many different plotlines and locations, but none of the individual arcs themselves scream for the need of two seasons. Regardless of length, those books will need to be significantly restructured and condensed for the TV show.

Diablos54

Eh, I think it might be. Feast and Dance have a trillion characters and so many different plotlines and locations, but none of the individual arcs themselves scream for the need of two seasons.
Well yea of course, but no character has a significant arc in both books, it's either one or the other. They'll either split it by books, or more likely try and restructure it chronology. Trying to force 2 whole books into one season would be insane. They had enough trouble this season, and it's only going to get harder from here on in, hence why ASOS is going to be 2 seasons.

Thud

They have at least four seasons with ASOS, AFFC and ADWD. By then GRRM will probably have at least a rough draf they can use for season 7, and then they can do season 8 on their own to finish it off.

They probably have 4 or 5 seasons, like I said before. I don't think the first 6 books are a problem, it's the last one you have to worry about. Well that's if they manage to go there. I don't really care either way, I just want to read the ending. Seeing it would be nice.

Wray

iboUfGBLJKSBnO.jpg

This is amazing.

Yoshistone is the best part of the pic.

S1) A Game of Thrones
S2) A Clash of Kings
S3) A Storm of Swords 1
S4) A Storm of Swords 2 (They're splitting up the tv show seasons as well)
S5) A Feast for Crows
S6) A Dance with Dragons
S7) A Wind of Winters
S8) A Dream of Spring

I think that's going to be all the books (I might have gotten the order/names wrong) but it checks out with the seasons.

edit: Disregard this whole post, I misread your post as "up to an 8th season".

I think it's going to break down like this personally. Well, if the books come out in time...

Season 1 - 2011 (GoT)
Season 2 - 2012 (CoK)
Season 3 - 2013 (SoS 1)
Season 4 - 2014 (SoS 2) - *
Season 5 - 2015 (Feast/Dance) - **
Season 6 - 2016 (Winds)
Season 7 - 2017 (Winds/Spring)
Season 8 - 2018 (Spring)

* - With some early chapters from Feast/Dance moved up in some of the POV's, along with the entirety of the
Kingsmoot

** - With the "likely"
Battles of Mereen and Winterfell from early Winds moved up to be climatic end points of S5.

Ridiculous.

Not only can it easily be done, but it should be done. Especially when you consider that the Ironborn chapters from Feast are almost certainly going to be moved up to S4, and many of the early Dance and Feast chapters can be moved up and serve as perfectly fine ending points for S4. I'd wager we'll probably see about 20 to 25% of Feast/Dance sprinkled into S4.

There isn't a single POV in either book that couldnt be done in 7-8 episodes. In fact, at least a third of the POV's from those books are less than like 5 chapters.

Massa

I just don't see this show going a full 8 season run.

Well, they have the best material in the series for the next two seasons at least. Hopefully they can take advantage of that.

They probably have 4 or 5 seasons, like I said before. I don't think the first 6 books are a problem, it's the last one you have to worry about. Well that's if they manage to go there. I don't really care either way, I just want to read the ending. Seeing it would be nice.

Same here, although I care more about the fate of some of the remaining characters then I do about the overall story.

Ark

At least this time the panel won't consist of 40% Kit questions and 40% Emilia questions.

Is Emilia going to be at the panel this year?

Hindle

Banned
A bit of a novice question here guys but if you can answer it it will be appreciated. Would you recommend reading the books or should I just wait for the TV series to catch up?

Dany

Banned
A bit of a novice question here guys but if you can answer it it will be appreciated. Would you recommend reading the books or should I just wait for the TV series to catch up?
The books are fantastic and should be worth reading. They have so much more content/story than the show ever will. If you plan on waiting, have fun waiting 5 years :p

Ark

Just read all the books. Sure you've seen seasons 1 & 2, but the they miss out a fair amount of content from the books, season 2 especially.

Thud

Season 1 - 2011 (AGOT)
Season 2 - 2012 (ACOK)
Season 3 - 2013 (ASOS 1)
Season 4 - 2014 (ASOS 2)
Season 5 - 2015 (AFFC/ADWD)*
Season 6 - 2016 (AFFC/ADWD/TWOW)**
Season 7 - 2017 (TWOW)
Season 8 - 2018 (TWOW/ADOS)***
Season 9 - 2019 (ADOS)

I fixed it.

* := About 66% Feast, 33% Dance and 1% Storms
** := Covers the rest and shows the beginning of Winds (roughly 5%)
*** := Well if Winds has a lot more pages than Storms, then it's the remaining 10-15%. Otherwise Spring is the contender.

Although I doubt Martin is writing the last two pieces in 5-6 years.

The books are fantastic and should be worth reading. They have so much more content/story than the show ever will. If you plan on waiting, have fun waiting 5 years :p

Either way he will be waiting to finish the series. The final 2 (or 3 if GRRM splits the final book into 2) books likely won't be available till around the same time as the end of the TV series (if they make it that far on HBO)

But at least reading the books up to this point will fill a void... which you will then curse the old gods (or maybe the new) at how long it takes for the subsequent books to release :p

MrMephistoX

George R.R. Martin will take some time finishing those last two books. He published ADWD last year, so there's a least 2-3 years to go before The Winds of Winter is out in stores and another 3-5 years before A Dream of Spring.

I think they're not gonna divide one book into one season anymore. ADWD even has more pages than ASOS. Besides I think they will rather put events in their proper place and time, thus using both AFFC and ADWD in mutiple seasons.

First both parts of A Storm of Swords will be broadcast and then we'll talk about the rest.

It would be smarter to combine A Feast for Crows with A Dance with Dragons since they take place concurrently and then pick a middle point to branch off of into a part 2. It would also be nice if the writers filmed everything concurrently and then aired the two seasons in the same year, ie part one in the Spring, Part 2 in the winter or fall. The could even have a 20 episode season like most shows.
AFFC wouldn't really make for good tv considering Daenerys and Tyrion aren't even in it and half the story revolves around Pike

Wray

I fixed it.

* := About 66% Feast, 33% Dance and 1% Storms
** := Covers the rest and shows the beginning of Winds (roughly 5%)
*** := Well if Winds has a lot more pages than Storms, then it's the remaining 10-15%. Otherwise Spring is the contender.

Although I doubt Martin is writing the last two pieces in 5-6 years.

Question?

Where would break off Dance and Feast if you split it two? What would your ending points be for Ep9 and E10 in S5 for the various plot arcs.

That's the biggest issue with splitting Feast/Dance into two seasons.
Do we really want Dany sitting around Mereen for the better part of 3 seasons? Or Brienne traveling around the Riverlands? How would they stretch out Bran's 4 SoS chapters and 3 Dance chapters into 4 seasons worth of material?

That sort of stuff just wouldnt work on a TV show.

Levi

Banned

Do you like to read? The books are worth reading if ya do. If not, just watch the show and avoid threads like this so you don't get spoiled.

Diablos54

Ridiculous.

Not only can it easily be done, but it should be done. Especially when you consider that the Ironborn chapters from Feast are almost certainly going to be moved up to S4, and many of the early Dance and Feast chapters can be moved up and serve as perfectly fine ending points for S4. I'd wager we'll probably see about 20 to 25% of Feast/Dance sprinkled into S4.

There isn't a single POV in either book that couldnt be done in 7-8 episodes. In fact, at least a third of the POV's from those books are less than like 5 chapters.
There was enough complaining about scene skipping and the like this season alone. Even if the Kingsmoot was moved to S4 (Which I do think would be a good idea), condensing AFFC/ADWD into one season would leave no room for anything to breathe. The whole thing would be rushed to hell and back and it would be a complete clusterfuck. There's just way too many characters/plotlines to fit into one season alone without butchering them. Arya/Jon were already a victim of this in S2, and trying to fit everything that goes on in the North/South/East into one season would just make matters even worse. Plus I wouldn't be surprised to see non POV characters here and there as well (Like Tywin and Robb this season). That, and I would guess we'd see at least one of the two battles from TWOW as a finale. Also, the budget's stretched enough already, there's no way it would allow to have everything from AFFC/ADWD in one season considering the amount of CG they would need for some things like the dragons.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
A question abut if they've talked about how they will do something from ASOS...

Has any mention been made of how they will handle Jamie's hand? I imagine it will get quite distracting if they just have him wearing a prosthetic and long sleeves to hide it. Also guess they won't just CGI it out every episode. I wonder if it would not be better to slightly re-write it to just have his hand maimed and unusable.

Thud

It will work obviously, because dany's part was boring during this season. Almost no work was done... so they will exploit that weakness even further.

I agree with most of you that you have to combine the events that Martin shattered. However Dance continues where Feast left. So my approach could work. Then the ending of S5 would probably consist mostly of Dance material
Events in the north, Arya, Tyrion and Daenerys fucking to spice the flavors

TehOh

I assume that they'll mix together the concurrent events in AFFC and ADWD, but I do hope they hold back on the [ADWD]
Quentyn Martell
chapters, so that we still get the amazing reveal of [AFFC]
"Vengeance. Justice. Fire and blood."

I assume that they'll mix together the concurrent events in AFFC and ADWD, but I do hope they hold back on the [ADWD]
Quentyn Martell
chapters, so that we still get the amazing reveal of [AFFC]
"Vengeance. Justice. Fire and blood."

I've thought about this some, and here's something that I think could work.

(Series spoilers)
They'll introduce Quentyn and his companions at the start, like in Dance, but they won't reveal who they are. The three of them basically spend the entire first half of the book incognito, anyway. After the Doran reveal, we'll see Quentyn and co arriving in Mereen and announcing themselves to Dany. That would allow them to show all of Quentyn's story while still preserving the reveal.

Wray

There was enough complaining about scene skipping and the like this season alone. Even if the Kingsmoot was moved to S4 (Which I do think would be a good idea), condensing AFFC/ADWD into one season would leave no room for anything to breathe. The whole thing would be rushed to hell and back and it would be a complete clusterfuck. There's just way too many characters/plotlines to fit into one season alone without butchering them. Arya/Jon were already a victim of this in S2, and trying to fit everything that goes on in the North/South/East into one season would just make matters even worse. Plus I wouldn't be surprised to see non POV characters here and there as well (Like Tywin and Robb this season). That, and I would guess we'd see at least one of the two battles from TWOW as a finale. Also, the budget's stretched enough already, there's no way it would allow to have everything from AFFC/ADWD in one season considering the amount of CG they would need for some things like the dragons.

Large portions of Dance and Feast can be easily condensed down, and SHOULD be condensed down. I'm looking at you
Brienne and Dany
. If you're expecting each chapter to be adapted verbatim you're going to be disappointed.

Plus you are forgetting that many of the early stuff from Feast/Dance can easily be moved up to S4.
The Tyrion and Kings Landing chapters for example, since the S4 SoS Kings Landing stuff is going to have to be stretched out anyway if the RW and especially the PW are in S3, which I'm extremely confident they will be.

I can definitely see them doing something like this...

MASSIVE SPOILERS BELOW.

Ep7 - Tyrion Kills Tywin and flees Kings Landing.

Ep8 - Aftermatch of Tywin's death in Kings Landing. Basically (Cersei I) from Feast with some added reaction scenes from the various players in KL. Tyrion not present in this episode at all.

Ep9 - Tywin's funeral. Qyburns conversation with Cersei about the gold coin where the Tyrells are implicated. Cersei's conversation with Kevan about Hand of the King and their subsequent falling out. Tyrion arrives in Pentos and is greeted by Illyrio. So basically (Cersei II) from Feast and part of (Tyrion I) from Dance.

Ep10 - Tommen and Margaery's Wedding. Final Kings Landing scene of the season is Cersei watching as the Tower of the Hand burns down as we catch a glimpse of her decent into madness for S5. In Pentos, Tyrion and Illyrio have a long exposition scene that sets up Griff/Aegon and The Golden Company. Illyrio sends Tyrion off to Dany setting up S5. Tyrion and Illyrio's "A dragon with three heads" conversation and their conversation in (Tyrion II) are combined into one scene that takes place in Pentos. So basically we get the rest of (Tyrion I) and (Tyrion II) from Dance, and (Cersei III) from Feast.

So that's 5 chapters right there. Three from Feast and two from Dance. If you factor in the five Iron Island chapters from Feast moved to S4, we're looking at 8 of Feast's 46 chapters moved up to S4. That's with only two story arcs too, Kings Landing and the Iron Islands. They can move up some of Brienne's chapters also, since she really doesnt have much to do in KL in the later parts of SoS. It'd also be really easy to move up some of Theon's and Jon's chapters from Dance too.

Also, one big change I would make to S4 would be to cut Ellaria Sand from the story entirely (except maybe just referencing her name as mother of some of the Sand Snakes) and instead have Arianne Martell accompany The Red Viper to Kings Landing in her place. It would introduce her earlier to the audience and help flesh her out more for her much bigger role in S5. Plus, it will help alleviate some of the casting burden for S5, which is going to be huge with all the new characters introduced in Feast and Dance. Where as, S4 will likely have very few new characters cast, since most of them will already have been cast in S3.

Has any mention been made of how they will handle Jamie's hand? I imagine it will get quite distracting if they just have him wearing a prosthetic and long sleeves to hide it. Also guess they won't just CGI it out every episode. I wonder if it would not be better to slightly re-write it to just have his hand maimed and unusable.

All I know is I can't wait for Arrested Westeros to blow up after this happens.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

I would imagine that it will be quite easy. He'll have the hand bandaged up while its freshly severed so it won't require too much trickery because it will covered by bloody bandages or whatever, and after he returns to King's Landing, they can just have him attach that prosthetic that he had in the books, but wear a glove over it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom