• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones - Season 2 - George RR Martin's Song of Ice and Fire - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

jett

D-Member
Preview for the next ep is cool, looks like a good one.
They're really taking their time building up Theon, but I think this will just make him look less like a douchebag later than in the book. :p
I have no idea where exactly are they going with the Jon situation. (series spoilers)
Will they just get rid of Craster's plotline right there and then?

Puddles

Banned
HBO should do a spin-off with Arya, Gendry, Hot Pie, and Lommy trying to recover a baseball from an evil neighbor's yard.

KingK

Pretty good episode.

Arya, Gendry, and Hot Pie are awesome. I kinda want a show just about The Adventures of Arya.

Theon's actor is doing a pretty good job of being an insecure piece of shit.

Tyrion's scenes were great.

Melisandre was great (and so so hot) but I'm still a little unsure on Stannis.

Preview for the next ep is cool, looks like a good one.
They're really taking their time building up Theon, but I think this will just make him look less like a douchebag later than in the book. :p
I have no idea where exactly are they going with the Jon situation. (series spoilers)
Will they just get rid of Craster's plotline right there and then?

ACOK & ASOS Spoilers
Craster will let them go to avoid trouble. But he'll be angry and the tension will be increased when the Watch returns.

Thoughts:

+ Pyke, all around. Gorgeous, you get the sense you really are somewhere distinct and different. Theon and Balon were great. Yes, Yara doesn't look like how she was described, but I think the actress can and is pulling off the feistiness and attitude and honestly, that's way more important.
+ Tyrion: Like a boss with Janos, and the scene with her and Cersei was well done.
+ Arya and Gendry: Maisie keeps doing great work, and I like the relationship between the two.
+ Night's Watch: interesting development at the end.
+ Pacing all around.

- The brothel scene. I don't mind that they added Ros as a concept, but she's really not done anything interesting.
- Dany's not really doing too much right now, which is similar to where she was in the books.
- Even though the pacing was better and better served all around with less character plots, but damn if I didn't miss Robb and the Starks.

Preview of Ep: 3:

Excited to see Renly, and see what they're doing with Margaery. Also, it looks like the episode will probably end with Arya and Co. getting attacked. Probably an end shot of Arya seeing the Mountain as he kills Lommy?

Minimal all books spoiler:
If this sucker gets to Season 5 or 6, I'd love to see the opening credits be totally insane.

King's Landing!
Riverrun!
The Eyrie!
Pyke!
Dorne!
Braavos!
Winterfell!
The Wall!
Pentos!
Meeren!

I think people will get nauseous and vomit.

Vespene

I just want to see
Brienne beating up dudes.

Also...
If the tournament is this next episode, doesn't that mean that Renly is already fucked?

Pkaz01

Preview of Ep: 3:

Excited to see Renly, and see what they're doing with Margaery. Also, it looks like the episode will probably end with Arya and Co. getting attacked. Probably an end shot of Arya seeing the Mountain as he kills Lommy?

Preview and ACoK spoilers
I don't think they can rush it that much since the haven't even done the fight/arya saving jaqen. Maybe if they do that fight early and then end with the gregor capture. Either way they are either going to rush the fight/capture or the tickling/arrival to harrenhal scenes. I could also see them doing the tickling at harrenhal just to make it easier

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
I thought Asha's actress was fine but the name change remains as one of the truly stupid decisions I think this show has made.

KdoubleA

Great 2nd episode. Arya scenes were nice.; I really like Jaqen, Gendry and Hot Pie. Tyrion + Varys scene = Perfect. Tyrion + Janos scene = Perfect. Tyrion + Cersei scene = Perfect. Love Salladhor Saan's casting and his scene with Davos. The Craster's Keep scenes were great too, Ghost was awesome to see and I like that they chose to show Craster delivering the baby boy to the Others/ White Walkers instead of talking about it. Interesting/ Different cliffhanger, not sure how that part will be resolved. The Yara/ Asha name change and casting is really not a big issue. The actress did a great job portraying her. Besides that, all the Theon scenes were very faithful to the book.

Pollux

scaled.php

Vala...**drool**

I miss that show.

My only real negative with the episode was the Ros/brothel scene. I generally don't have a problem with scenes involving her because they usually exist to serve another character. The only purpose I can see with the scene tonight was to make Littlefinger more sinister. Hopefully there's payoff for that down the road, because otherwise it was a pointless scene. Time could have been better spent with Sansa or another character not in tonight's episode. Also Ros scenes improve when she's naked. She has not been naked yet this season.

bengraven

I thought that was a great scene. I was wondering how they'd get across how much Cersei hates Tyrion and that did the job.

Also, I like some of the lighthearted elements they've included in this episode. The series is pretty depressing so it's almost necessary they change the mood every once in a while.

Yep, this is easily the funniest episode.

Salador Saan: One thing: I want the queen.
Davos: the queen?
Saan: Yes. Cersei. I want her. I will sail with your fleet, all thirty of my ships. And if we don't drown at the bottom of Blackwater Bay, I will fuck this blonde queen and I will fuck her well.
Mathos: This war isn't about you! We're not attacking King's Landing so you can rape the queen!
Saan: I'm not going to RAPE her. I'm going to FUCK her.

Lommy: Two men fighting isn't a battle.
Hot Pie: They had ARMOR on...?
Arry: So?
Hot Pie: So...if they got armor on, it's a battle.
Lommy: No it ISN'T.

Hot Pie: It's...um...well...when they got armor on...
Gendry: And who told you that?
Hot Pie: .....a knight...
Gendry: How'd you know it was a knight?
Hot Pie: Well...cuz he's...got...a...armor on.
Gendry: You don't have to be a knight to have armor. Any idiot can buy armor.
Hot Pie: How'd you know?
Gendry: Cuz I SOLD armor...

Dolorous Edd: I say, if the gods wanted us to have dignity, they wouldn't make us fart when we died.
Grenn: We fart when we die?
Edd: My blessed mother...was holding her own when she left this world. She farted so hard, the whole bed shook. *pause* PPPPPPPPBLP.
Sam: Seems a bit greedy for one man, to have so many wives.
Edd: We were having a serious discussion...

Preview and ACoK spoilers
I don't think they can rush it that much since the haven't even done the fight/arya saving jaqen. Maybe if they do that fight early and then end with the gregor capture. Either way they are either going to rush the fight/capture or the tickling/arrival to harrenhal scenes. I could also see them doing the tickling at harrenhal just to make it easier

Ep: 3 and 4 spoiler
I can see them combining it into one big thing. Lorch or whoever starts the fight, Arya and them fight, Yoren dies, she sets Jaqen and co. free, but then as they're escaping Gregor comes in, captures Gendry and kills Lommy... next time we see her, she's in Harrenhal and they're doing the tickling, and she's adjusting to life. We'd be able to see her adjust as Weasel in Ep:4, and then Ep: 5 is called "The Ghost of Harrenhal..." so yeah.

Just speculation. No matter, we'll see next week I guess.

Azrael

I have no idea where exactly are they going with the Jon situation.

I think the change induces a massive plot hole. I can buy that the Night's Watch is prepared to overlook Craster's disgusting personal life because he provides their rangers shelter and gives them intel about the wildlings. But confirmed to have dealings with the White Walkers? They have no choice but to kill him now, no matter how useful he's been to them. (ACoK spoilers)
And they're just going to let him be and trek deeper into the lands beyond the Wall so a friend of the White Walkers can direct them right to their camp? Unbelievable.

I really don't like what the show has done to Littlefinger. And as I said in the other thread, I'm just going to stop complaining about Ros. She's clearly here to stay, replacing a similar character from the book. I'd have no problem with this if the writers weren't trying to turn her into Joan Holloway, as another GAFer pointed out. Nearly every scene she's been involved in has been poorly written imo...

apana

Alfie Allen was already good but he's improved this season. I'd go as far as to say he gave the best performance out of the main characters. As always the supporting cast is brilliant, especially that awesome dude who Theon met when he landed. The music when Theon was riding with Asha was amazing, better soundtrack this year. Really want to see more Hotpie. Arya and Gendry dynamic felt a little flat to me.

I think the change induces a massive plot hole. I can buy that the Night's Watch is prepared to overlook Craster's disgusting personal life because he provides their rangers shelter and gives them intel about the wildlings. But confirmed to have dealings with the White Walkers? They have no choice but to kill him now, no matter how useful he's been to them. (ACoK spoilers)
and they're just going to let him be and trek deeper into the lands beyond the wall so a friend of the White Walkers can direct them right to their camp? Unbelievable.

One of the season trailers has Jon saying he saw something but doesn't know exactly what it was. No plot hole.

Davos' scene on the beach was really good.

bengraven

I appreciate that Lommy has a green tint to his hands. Nice touch, HBO.

Mind blown.

and they're just going to let him be and trek deeper into the lands beyond the wall so a friend of the White Walkers can direct them right to their camp? Unbelievable.

I think Mormont will force Jon to keep it to himself to keep the peace between them. and (ep 3 preview)
Crastor says in the preview that Mormont will be forced to "make this right"

I just want to know where my man Roose is. Dying to see how his portrayal turns out.

COK
He probably won't show up until the very end, last episode, coming into Harrenhal under Stark banners. Arya will see the banners, get excited, then see this man who scares her arrive.

REV 09

Liked this episode better than the last. Not as many factions were shown which gave them time to double back and allow some scenes to breath. Still think there are too many factions for a show, but they can't change the source material that much. Next episode looks nice. I'm ready for something to actually happen. 2 episodes of setting stuff up is wearing on me.

KingK

Also, just as a comment on nudity and sex in this show, an example of such a scene done right is the Melisandre/Stannis scene from tonight. Melisandre's actress was great and the scene served a significant purpose in plot and character progression. It wasn't a scene created as an excuse to show tits and ass, it was a scene created to advance character and plot progression, which happened to have tits and ass in it.

apana

Also, just as a comment on nudity and sex in this show, an example of such a scene done right is the Melisandre/Stannis scene from tonight. Melisandre's actress was great and the scene served a significant purpose in plot and character progression. It wasn't a scene created as an excuse to show tits and ass, it was a scene created to advance character and plot progression, which happened to have tits and ass in it.

Yeah, I think this show works better when there is an actual purpose and need for the sex scenes. Oh and this Yara is alright but Lily Allen would have been a million times better.

Vespene

[aDwD]
So I'm pretty sure they established Khal Jhaqo on that Dany scene because he will presumably play a crucial role at the near the end of season 5.

Great episode tonight, cant wait for next week.

Tyrion and Arya are the best characters in the show.

Oh and I really want a Direwolf! Ghost if I could choose, but any of them would be nice.

jett

D-Member
[aDwD]
So I'm pretty sure they established Khal Jhaqo on that Dany scene because he will presumably play a crucial role at the near the end of season 5.

I guess, sort of, but by then no one will remember. He doesn't even have a face to associate him with.

bengraven

Liked this episode better than the last. Not as many factions were shown which gave them time to double back and allow some scenes to breath. Still think there are too many factions for a show, but they can't change the source material that much. Next episode looks nice. I'm ready for something to actually happen. 2 episodes of setting stuff up is wearing on me.

I think they won't show the least important factions.

One of the previews showed him in the field with Robb. So hopefully sooner than that! :)

Well he does have a bit of a role in the background, so maybe.

Gotta say, Saladar Saan was amazing. That entire season is one of my favorites of this season thus far

Don't look up "Saladar Saan" and "blonde queen" in Google. I was trying to find his quote so I wouldn't have to type it out, and there are a lot of people angry because he's black.

And because him wanting to fuck Cersei is basically a "black man rapes a white woman" fantasy. I know. I know...

[aDwD]
Or they needed some random name to throw around. They named dropped a bunch of people/groups when sending the scouts out earlier.

Overdoziz

Banned
In a way I'm glad I haven't read the books yet. I'd probably be picking the show apart, same with The Walking Dead and its comics.

Helmholtz

Damn, that episode was good. A few too many sex scenes, but whatever. I think it was better than the first one. Pacing was a little frantic still, but not as bad since we were already familiar with most of the characters.

bengraven

In a way I'm glad I haven't read the books yet. I'd probably be picking the show apart, same with The Walking Dead and its comics.

It's really faithful to the books. The books have hundreds of characters, yet they haven't cut anyone who has a plot-centric role.

Most of us readers are mostly upset about how the characters look, honestly. haha We don't give a shit if someone says someone else's line or whether something is chronologically similar.

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?

Nah, most all of us are relatively pleased with the adaption. Theres nitpicks here and there, but even most of the liberties the show has taken seem to be fine so far.

Like Bengraven said, looks seems to be a more common complaint haha. On that note Asha/Yara wasn't nearly as attractive as I was expecting her to be.

apana

The Greyjoys and their storyline are a bit more comedic than I imagined though it's not necessarily a bad thing, just different. It [ACOK]
sort of lessens the intensity of that plotline in the book of Theon treacherously betraying the North if he is too funny.

ezrarh

I think the show is doing well for itself if people are primarily complaining about character looks (which aren't that important as long as they can act) and sex scenes that doesn't advance the plot.

bengraven

The Greyjoys and their storyline are a bit more comedic than I imagined though it's not necessarily a bad thing, just different. It [ACOK]
sort of lessens the intensity of that plotline in the book of Theon treacherously betraying the North if he is too funny.

In fairness,
despite the evils he does, Theon's story is really one big fucking joke. He can't keep anything together. He's probably the least lucky person in the entire kingdom.

I think the show is doing well for itself if people are primarily complaining about character looks (which aren't that important as long as they can act) and sex scenes that doesn't advance the plot.

I think if we're complaining only about looks, that's a good thing. Because it's so well done and faithful, we're just nitpicking the more obvious things. It's a sign that we're happy.

As for the sex scenes, I think half of them make sense. It's HBO, they like to push the envelope and I'm a man: I like to see sex. I want to see the sex scenes in the book. *shrugs* And the ones with my favorite characters that are only hinted at in the book - Melisandre come to mind. Like, really comes to mind.

The ones with Ros are the only ones I'm not happy with, because they add nothing. Even if her character is replacing another character, she's not a big enough character to deserve a major scene in every single episode. If there is some added lore with her in a later season, like maybe she's the living avatar of the Old Gods or something, then I'll understand why she's here. And then I'll stop watching.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom