• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones - Season 2 - George RR Martin's Song of Ice and Fire - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

calza

I think a lot of people are forgetting the pacing of ASoS.

SOS Spoiler
The Red Wedding happens ~60-70% of the way into the book. I feel like it would be rushing everything else if they ended it there.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>

SOS Spoiler
The Red Wedding happens ~60-70% of the way into the book. I feel like it would be rushing everything else if they ended it there.

Yeah this is pretty much what I've been saying for a year now. People want to rush to it but it would be far better overall to not do it that way.

SephCast

Brotherhood of Shipley's
I'm pretty sure ASOS spoiler
there will be three weddings in S03, I don't think they will be ending the season with the Red one, they need some sort of happy note

What? This is Game of Throne/HBO bro.
Nothing needs to be happy.

Another complication people aren't mentioning is that (series spoilers):
they have to introduce Ramsay and keep Theon onscreen somehow throughout S3 and 4. They might even start with an inkling of the Reek/Dance stuff in one of these two seasons

KingK

I have ALSO stated that I do not like Asha's look/actress. I'm not disgressing finding issue with the show's portrayal or your own; I'm merely stating that this fandom has a largely misogynistic fandom on certain sites and it can especially show in the way they go about criticising things sometimes and I'm not referring to Asha.

Fair enough.

SOS Spoiler

Exactly. It would rush season 3 just to get to that scene, and then have 10 episodes of season 4 to spend on the last 35% of the book. It would be terrible pacing in addition to just being a great way to piss off your viewers.

The other idea I've seen floated about is that they do the first half of season 4 as the end of ASOS, and then the last half as the beginning of AFFC/ADWD, which would be terrible for obvious pacing reasons. The best option for pacing and for survival of the show is to just end season 3 as close to the middle of ASOS as possible.

jayb

SOS Spoiler

I agree.

(SOS Spoiler)
leave the red wedding for S4.

S3 should probably go all the way up to and end with Sam and Gilly being rescued by Coldhands after being surrounded by wights, and Jon reaching Castle Black to warn them of the wildling attack.

AngryMoth

Yeah this is pretty much what I've been saying for a year now. People want to rush to it but it would be far better overall to not do it that way.
I dunno, they did AGOT in one season and it didn't really feel rushed. I think they could easily reach (ASOS)
the red wedding
in season 3, it really is episode 9 material, with
Joff's wedding
in the finale. In terms of pacing a season of tv that's the perfect way to do it. That creates problems though because they would have to bring in a fair amount from the next books for season 4.

Animator

relC9.jpg

I guess the fans were retarded then because she is not described anything like the fan drawings of generic hot chick #87565 in the book.

HBO renews Game of Thrones for a third season
In totally unsurprising news, Game of Thrones has been renewed by HBO for a third season. Lemon cake for everybody! Says the official press release:

HBO has renewed GAME OF THRONES for a third season, it was announced today by Michael Lombardo, president, HBO Programming. "Series creators David Benioff and D.B. Weiss raised our expectations for the second season – and then surpassed them," said Lombardo. "We are thrilled by all the viewer and media support we've received for the series, and can't wait to see what Dan and David have in store for next season."

According to early data, GAME OF THRONES' season two premiere has already accumulated a gross audience of 8.3 million viewers, and is on track to easily surpass the season one average of 9.3 million viewers.
http://io9.com/5900741/hbo-renews-game-of-thrones-for-a-third-season

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
I dunno, they did AGOT in one season and it didn't really feel rushed. I think they could easily reach (ASOS)
the red wedding
Joff's wedding
in the finale. In terms of pacing a season of tv that's the perfect way to do it. That creates problems though because they would have to bring in a fair amount from the next books for season 4.

I agree with all this. I think having that event in the finale is lunacy and I would bet money that doesn't happen. Episode 9 is fine with the finale being what you described, but then as you said it leaves a whole season to fill the following year. I think the best solution is to put it off til season 4, really take their time establishing the players involved and do that book justice.

bengraven

Thing is going by the source material seasons 3 and 4 should hopefully be amazing, so I see no reason for a drop in ratings as a result of the show getting worse. If the ratings do ever fall away it will be post season 4 imo. Adapting Feast and Dance for tv will be a huge challenge.

Agreed about that.

I think Season 5 might make them nervous with so much of it needing to be filmed in Malta again and another desert location.

JerkShep

What? This is Game of Throne/HBO bro.
Nothing needs to be happy.

I'm not going to much into details since it's the TV show thread but I think ASOS SPOILER
the two weddings works so well because they are one after another. Ending the season with the last wedding works a lot better in a television format (think about Arya, Sansa and Tyrion especially), while ending with the Red Wedding it's just abrupt and can alienate a big part of the audience.
It's true that this events are late in the book, but there are a lot of storylines that can be pushed forward without problems (the more important parts of Jon storyline in ASOS can be moved in S04, same thing with Dany). Oh, and in S04 they can use all the Greyjoy storyline from AFFC (except the last chapter), it fits even with the timeline.

KingK

the red wedding
Joff's wedding

I agree that if they did ep 9 and 10 like you say, it could work (if not being a little rushed), but as you said, season 4 would then be fucked.

Every character's ending chapters in ASOS just screams "season finale." You can't have (Major ASOS)
Arya boarding the boat to Braavos, Tyrion killing Tywin, Jon being named Lord Commander, Bran crossing beneath the Wall with Coldhands, UnCat reveal, etc.
in the middle of a season and then follow it with the beginning of AFFC/ADWD. The pacing would be absolutely dreadful and it would make for a terrible season of TV.

I understand the temptation people have to get that one scene into season 3, but it's for the show's own good to just take their time and put it in season 4. At this point, I really don't think we'll have a problem getting 4 seasons, so I wouldn't worry about them not getting to film that part.

pr0cs

I thought S2E2 was quite good, the pacing was still fast but not breakneck like the first episode. In general without reading the books though I can see how people could lose track of things and perhaps miss things.
I liked some of the foreshadowing with Mel and Davos son but I won't go into that for fear of spoiling things for people.

I thought the sex scenes were all okay, perhaps it might have been worth to skip the Ros/littlefinger discussion but I presume it was to reinforce the fact that there aren't any 'good guys' just people with their own goals.

As it was said, Pyke looked exactly how I would imagine it, I think the entire Greyjoy casting was perfect including Yara, I do miss that they didn't show more of the banter between Theon and Asha (perhaps removing the Ros/LF scene) but what was shown was good enough to get the point across that Yara is smart, manipulative and dangerous.

Glad to see another season was renewed, I love the show and hope they'll continue as long as they have budget, D&D want to continue writing for it and they don't catch up to Martin.

Man, I never imagined Asha as any of those fan arts. But show-Asha/Yara isn't really good. If she was wearing armour or had shorter or more edgy hair, she might look harder, but the way the way she looked wasn't very strong.

Edit: Actually the bottom left fanart looks like a good Asha.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
Man, I never imagined Asha as any of those fan arts. But show-Asha/Yara isn't really good. If she was wearing armour or had shorter or more edgy hair, she might look harder, but the way the way she looked wasn't very strong.

I think it's appropriate she wears her hair like some men do on the show.

bengraven

How quickly things went from excitement over the renewal to talking about Yara again, just because of one bitter person's post.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Physically I don't care for the way Yara looks (in regards to differences imagined) but I feel bad for the actress playing her. She must be reading a lot of negative posts and thats just gotta be a huge downer.

Puddles

Banned
Those art depictions actually are exactly how I imagined the character.

I pictured her like the third from the left in the top row. If that's too "misogynistic", give her sleeves.

Fuck the overly busty, bare-midriff ideas though. This isn't Bloodrayne.

Snake

Physically I don't care for the way Yara looks (in regards to differences imagined) but I feel bad for the actress playing her. She must be reading a lot of negative posts and thats just gotta be a huge downer.

There's a GAFer with a username containing "Whelan" who was posting a while back about his sister auditioning for Game of Thrones. A little while later Gemma Whelan was cast as Yara Greyjoy. Guy must love reading this thread.

Solo

How quickly things went from excitement over the renewal to talking about Yara again, just because of one bitter person's post.

It's the neverending cycle of this thread

good discussion ---> actor complaints ---> valid criticisms ---> actor complaints ---> good discussion ---> actor complaints ---> renewal talk ---> actor complaints

Rinse and repeat

ultron87

good discussion ---> actor complaints ---> valid criticisms ---> actor complaints ---> good discussion ---> actor complaints ---> renewal talk ---> actor complaints

Rinse and repeat

Don't forget "poorly veiled spoilers".

I really wonder how long HBO can keep this series going. It's great but it's only going to get more in-depth and expensive. I would love to see it through AFFC/ADWD.

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
I like Yara's casting choice. Not everyone on the show should be stunningly beautiful for god sakes. She seems like a hardened woman and definitely looks the part.

And it's not like she's busted and hard to look at either. I could understand complaints if that were the case but it isn't.

AngryMoth

I agree that if they did ep 9 and 10 like you say, it could work (if not being a little rushed), but as you said, season 4 would then be fucked.

Every character's ending chapters in ASOS just screams "season finale." You can't have (Major ASOS)
Arya boarding the boat to Braavos, Tyrion killing Tywin, Jon being named Lord Commander, Bran crossing beneath the Wall with Coldhands, UnCat reveal, etc.
in the middle of a season and then follow it with the beginning of AFFC/ADWD. The pacing would be absolutely dreadful and it would make for a terrible season of TV.

I understand the temptation people have to get that one scene into season 3, but it's for the show's own good to just take their time and put it in season 4. At this point, I really don't think we'll have a problem getting 4 seasons, so I wouldn't worry about them not getting to film that part.
I totally agree about the implication for season 4, but I don't really see how they can end season 3 without it being that. What do they do for a finale? I don't think it would feel rushed either; the second half os Storm is much more dense in terms of events. In an ideal world they'd be making an 80 hour film and we wouldn't have this problem, but they're making a season of tv, and when they sit down in the writers room to plan it out, and they have this amazing end of season material staring them in the face, I don't see how they turn it down.

One thing which might make it easier to do season 4 is that most of the stories stop overlapping, so they could get some charcters from Feast/Dance going early, whilst holding back events like the ones you mention for the finale.

Rinse and repeat
Don't forget for a few days after each episode 50% of posts relate to sexposition

bengraven

Rinse and repeat

Never seen this quick of turnaround though.

Solo

Don't forget "poorly veiled spoilers".

That too :lol

I have no problems with actor criticisms when they're of the "actor A's interpretation of character B is way off the mark" or the "actor C is a shitty actor" variety, but when they're mostly of the "too ugly!", "not tall enough!", "not hot enough!", " and "actor A is not exactly how I pictured character B in the books in my head or in some fanart, therefore he or she sucks!" variety..... come the fuck on, bros.

Carcetti

Guess the acting abilities aren't the issue with Asha/Yara. I thought she exudes just the right kind of easy confidence.

Plus SMH at the fan art... Top right corner is a great way of saying why it's better 12-year olds aren't casting and costuming the series.

Catelyn wasn't cast as I imagined her, but the actress embodies her wonderfully. I felt the same initially about Lena Headey, but she nailed most of her crucial scenes in S1 (especially those opposite Mark Addy, who was probably the most underrated actor last season next to Harry Lloyd) and has, if anything, improved this season. "Yara" as portrayed in those handful of scenes maybe doesn't look exactly like how I expected Asha to appear, but she seems to able to tap into the right sort of attitude and Greyjoy arrogance which gels with her character. It's obviously too early to say definitively that she'll be good, but there's no demonstrable evidence that she'd bad in the role outside of a shallow obsession with her looks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom