• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamespot Doom 3 Review!!!

SyNapSe

Seems a fair review along the lines of what most others have been saying. Technically impressive graphics, but fairly par for the course old school gameplay.

Alcibiades

well, there goes any chance of outselling Halo 2 or Half-Life 2 probably...

that will probably be the real FPS battle for '04

olimario

Banned
Games like this don't deserve above a 9. That said, 8.5 is very good.
ID should be proud.

I have a feeling this game will be very ugly in 4 years time.

Kon Tiki

Banned
olimario said:
Games like this don't deserve above a 9. That said, 8.5 is very good.
ID should be proud.

I have a feeling this game will be very ugly in 4 years time.

Games like what?

Games that allow extreme modifications? Online games? Fun Games?

olimario

Banned
Society said:
Games like what?

Games that allow extreme modifications? Online games? Fun Games?

Simplistic corridor shooters that offer no real innovation other than graphics.
Let me see a good mod of the game engine before I consider it for a higher score.

nitewulf

meh, just as i thought. same old id gameplay, i wish duke nukem forever to come out and crush this. (whoa...95 flashback...!!!)

Ryu

It's a fair score. I actually expected a bit less. Take away the glitz and glamor of the graphics and it's honestly just another corridor shooter. Hardly worth writing home about.

Kon Tiki

Banned
olimario said:
Simplistic corridor shooters that offer no real innovation other than graphics.
Let me see a good mod of the game engine before I consider it for a higher score.

It is only as simple as the player.

olimario

Banned
Society said:
It is only as simple as the player.

Pong is only as simple as the player!
THERES SO MUCH DEPTH THERE IF YOU KNOW HOW TO PLAY.

Doom 3 is simplistic. Half Life 2 isn't. Halo 2 isn't.

siege

Banned
olimario said:
Pong is only as simple as the player!
THERES SO MUCH DEPTH THERE IF YOU KNOW HOW TO PLAY.

Doom 3 is simplistic. Half Life 2 isn't. Halo 2 isn't.

Have you even played those games? If I remember correctly, both the original Half Life and Halo were simplistic FPS like id games are. Half Life 2 boasts gimmicky physics while Halo 2 is...Halo with a few new refinements.

I suppose what I'm trying to get at is how you think they're these in-depth FPS when you basically just run around shooting at things....like Doom 3.

EmSeta

Just having finished it, I'd give it a 7/10.

+ Great graphics
+ Nice presentation and production values
+ Amazing mood

- Repetitive gameplay (enter dark room, hear growl, shoot monster, rinse and repeat)
- Hardly any varied environments (90% of the game looks exactly the same)

And a negative spoiler..
Instead of the hero dying and going to hell like in Doom 1, which was one of the coolest and most original plot twists ever seen in a game, he just teleports there instead. I can't imagine why they changed this in the remake.

But all in all, it's a wonderfully presented and solid experience. Nothing groundbreaking though. Riddick was much more fun.

Spike

EmSeta said:
Just having finished it, I'd give it a 7/10.

+ Great graphics
+ Nice presentation and production values
+ Amazing mood

- Repetitive gameplay (enter dark room, hear growl, shoot monster, rinse and repeat)
- Hardly any varied environments (90% of the game looks exactly the same)

And a negative spoiler..
Instead of the hero dying and going to hell like in Doom 1, which was one of the coolest and most original plot twists ever seen in a game, he just teleports there instead. I can't imagine why they changed this in the remake.

But all in all, it's a wonderfully presented and solid experience. Nothing groundbreaking though. Riddick was much more fun.

Thanks for the impressions, mate. I've heard the same negatives echoed elsewhere.

ibhat.gif

SyNapSe

They posted about it in their preview + 18 million video release earlier this week. I think they said it was a 3400 with a 6800 Ultra

Tenguman

It's a pretty fair score I think, having played the game.

It's a good game, but I think it's a bit dissapointing.

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
I'd give it a 9 myself. I think it deserves that for the graphics and atmosphere alone. The gameplay isn't revolutionary but nowadays hardly anything is. UT2K4 is still GOTY for me though.

shantyman

WHO DEY!?
Isn't this what people were expecting? A decent game wrapped in phenomonal grpahics. Id has never been known for the greatness of their single player games- they had the same focus with Quake 2 and it was OK in thet regard.

Riddick WAS fun. Until I get to the point where I'm stuck for hours and I really have no drive to search for a hatch-opening device. Games like that just make me want to vomit. Keep the experience progressing tactfully. Metroid Prime managed a really great pace despite the fact that it required a lot of items to get further into the game. Riddick relys on cheap conventions that just do more to waste time than give the player something to do. I should've rented first.

Ristamar

As a result of all of the above--the predictable level design and enemies, and the simple-but-effective weapons arsenal--Doom 3 does not turn out to be particularly challenging, at least at the normal difficulty setting. Actually, the main reason for this is because, as in many other shooters, you can quicksave your progress virtually instantly and at any time. The creepy atmosphere and frequent ambushes will likely cause you to use this option more often than you need it, and as a result, the game's suspense and tension is further mitigated. Limited save systems in shooters often meet with great resistance from certain players, but Doom 3 is a game that probably would have benefited from one.

Typical. QUICKSAVE = TEH WEAKSAUCE. I've always hated that aspect of PC FPS games.

Heh. I think there are more people saying "OMG huge ass thread!" than actual people complaining about the score.

Geez...since when is a 8.5 "bad"? Only on GA.

*edit*

I take it back. The actual review seems much more harsh than a 8.5 would show. :\

Spike said:
Only when it's a Nintendo game. ;)

Holy shit! I was going to say the same thing.

8.5 is a fair score for this game. Amazing graphics, same old gameplay. Nothing wrong with that, it just doesn't get an elite score.

Edit: I like it much better then Riddick.

Drey1082

evilromero said:
Riddick WAS fun. Until I get to the point where I'm stuck for hours and I really have no drive to search for a hatch-opening device. Games like that just make me want to vomit. Keep the experience progressing tactfully. Metroid Prime managed a really great pace despite the fact that it required a lot of items to get further into the game. Riddick relys on cheap conventions that just do more to waste time than give the player something to do. I should've rented first.

I beat Riddick in a rental, so i'm glad I didn't buy it, but it was an awesome game. As was Metroid Prime, although I wasn't a big fan of finding all the artifact pieces, IMO that was a lot worse than the wind waker triforce pieces, which i didn't think was too bad.

(notices i'm too off topic)

But yeah Doom 3!! WOO! (My computer blows :( )

siege

Banned
Ristamar said:
Typical. QUICKSAVE = TEH WEAKSAUCE. I've always hated that aspect of PC FPS games.

If you couldn't quick save, Gamespot would have complained and still docked it.

Top Bottom