• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #19 | Patrick Wins 2-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lunar FC

Just a reminder, everyone: there is a GOTY thread if you want to talk about the past. From here on out, the only GOTY talk in this thread is about 2016.

That said, Persona 5 is totally going to be this year's Witcher 3, right?

Honestly we should have a year around goty thread, keep that ish out of here permanently.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
You're not Dan, but you're posting like Dan. :O

Don't do this to yourself. The other great things in that series I can and will concede on but not that music.

Nah, I'm broken at this point that if I'm not doing something else when I'm playing games I feel distracted. Especially long ass games like TitS. I just don't want to devote such a large amount of time solely to one thing, so long-ass RPGs are kinda perfect podcast games to me. There are very few exceptions to that rule.

danm999

XCOM 2 out soon, and the preview coverage looks pretty good.

The customisable squad stuff means I'm making a Giant Bomb XCOM crew, I just need to decide what everybody's class will be.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
XCOM 2 out soon, and the preview coverage looks pretty good.

The customisable squad stuff means I'm making a Giant Bomb XCOM crew, I just need to decide what everybody's class will be.

Put them in the general character pool and let the game decide for you. That way you can rescue somebody as an engineer or get a mission to assassinate Dan.

tmarg

I picked normal, hence the 16 levels. Or is 'normal' easier the first few times you do it or something?

Easy is basically normal levels, but you don't need to do as many with your 100 lives. Pretty much any interesting levels will be in expert.

daydream

Banned
I picked normal, hence the 16 levels. Or is 'normal' easier the first few times you do it or something?

nah, the difficulties are based on completion rates

i dunno, that sounds like an unusually high number of bad apples for the 'normal' challenge (try 'expert' instead) but then again, i think playing gaf levels is absolutely the way to go. have only done a couple of 100 mario challenges myself

I need to pick that up at some point, I enjoyed the original DmC but felt no need to replay it because of various issues and the Definitive Edition is supposed to fix the issues I had.

No more combos being cut by color coded enemies, turbo mode to speed up the game, mechanics/stylish balance tweaks, options between auto/non-auto lock on, Dante must style, and the list goes on. It still has its issues, but I really applaud Ninja Theory for going above and beyond to try to make right with the more passionate fans in trying to make it feel more like proper DMC.

Hardcore DMC fans are one of the most annoying fanbases, I'd rank them near MGS and Silent Hill fans.

Silent Hills fans suffered more than any other. They get some leeway in coming off bitter. As for DMC fans, some off them can come off as annoying, but I feel like the most passionate on GAF like Dahbomb and GuardianE are really cool people.

Just a reminder, everyone: there is a GOTY thread if you want to talk about the past. From here on out, the only GOTY talk in this thread is about 2016.

That said, Persona 5 is totally going to be this year's Witcher 3, right?

Congrats to Yooka-Laylee GOTY 2016.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
The 'being the worst' spectrum used to be

Zelda fans>Naughty Dog fans>Souls fans>everyone else
now it's like
Souls fans>Naughty Dog fans>Zelda fans>everyone else

Tan

Easy is basically normal levels, but you don't need to do as many with your 100 lives. Pretty much any interesting levels will be in expert.

Oh, I had no idea. Yeah expert definitely gives me more interesting levels, but sometimes maybe too 'interesting'. I guess I'm just looking for a middle ground that isn't very popular.

jaina

Oh, I had no idea. Yeah expert definitely gives me more interesting levels, but sometimes maybe too 'interesting'. I guess I'm just looking for a middle ground that isn't very popular.
The middle ground is 'Expert' + generous use of 'select skip', from what I've gathered...
I thought Undertale fans were the worst.
Those are in the list: Undertale -> anime -> JRPG -> Souls
/s

tmarg

Expert has gotten a lot better recently. The advice I would give is that if you see anything obviously unfair (Kaizo blocks, blind jumps, death traps where you just have to guess, etc.) just skip the level immediately.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
The middle ground is 'Expert' + generous use of 'select skip', from what I've gathered...

Those are in the list: Undertale -> anime -> JRPG -> Souls
/s

Look, we all know that giantbomb fans are secretly the worst.

Fucking giantbomb fans, ugh.

yami4ct

The 'being the worst' spectrum used to be

Zelda fans>Naughty Dog fans>Souls fans>everyone else
now it's like
Souls fans>Naughty Dog fans>Zelda fans>everyone else

As bad as video game fandoms have gotten, the Transformers fandom still probably makes me the most sad. It's so bad it almost makes me not want to be a part of it. No-one is ever happy about anything and literally every single piece of news devolves into people shitting on each other and trying to boost whatever their particular sub-fandom is.

I bought a third gunpla. I need to stop. Or try a master grade one.

Master Grade calls you.

8gGdvra.jpg

yami4ct

I bought a third gunpla. I need to stop. Or try a master grade one.

Modern MGs are ammmmazing. Buy an MG. I just build the Hyaku-Shiki 2.0 and that has to be one of the coolest kits I've ever built. The best MG is still Sazabi ver Kai, but that's probably more expensive than many are willing to go.
At least at first. You get there eventually. I've justified buying a PG for myself. There is no more hope.

Master Grade calls you.

The RX-78 3.0 still doesn't do anything for me. So glad they did an MG of The Origin's. That version is perfection.

Xater

Put them in the general character pool and let the game decide for you. That way you can rescue somebody as an engineer or get a mission to assassinate Dan.

That's a thing you can do? That's amazing. Now I'm even more bummed out there is no console version.

Giant Bomb, Homestuck, and Souls fans form a holy trifecta of ignominy

And at the center of that venn diagram is me, History's Greatest Monster

Giant Bomb fans are actually the worst though

The fact that Patrick got shit on basically every day while working for Giant Bomb and he himself said that pretty much none of that followed him to Kotaku means that we're worse than people who read Kotaku. That's a pretty bad indicator.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
The fact that Patrick got shit on basically every day while working for Giant Bomb and he himself said that pretty much none of that followed him to Kotaku means that we're worse than people who read Kotaku. That's a pretty bad indicator.

In fairness that's largely because the gb audience is video focused and he was always a written word type of person who moved to a written word website. It is no surprise gb viewers didn't follow; he was not catering to the same audience

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
The AGDQ stream confirmed to me that they made the right choice with Mario Maker. That was so much fun to watch.

and 2016 is hopefully the year of two localized Dragon Quests

hamchan

In fairness that's largely because the gb audience is video focused and he was always a written word type of person who moved to a written word website. It is no surprise gb viewers didn't follow; he was not catering to the same audience

Nah. The dude was making the exact same video content on his YouTube channel that he was making on Giant Bomb but could barely get a few thousand views for those videos. I don't think what kind of content he made mattered, the Giant Bomb fans just pooped on him while he was on the site and didn't bother with him afterwords.

I think he's saying the negativity didn't follow, not that GB people lost interest in him after he left.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom