• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #19 | Patrick Wins 2-1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not too far into it -- about seven hours -- but it's got great characters and a bustling world full of people to talk to. The combat is fun and incorporates positioning and movement better than a lot of the games in the genre. I'm not quite as high on it as some of the other people in this thread but I'm enjoying it.

Mostly because the people that are really high on it are deep into or have finished the two games. Trails in the Sky starts off as a good game that continuously gets better. At your point in the game I can't imagine many who were really in love with it.

Halfway through Project BEAST 3 and I just want to cry. This rocket, in theory, could get him to Duna and back. But he's wasting so much goddamn fuel trying to get into orbit.

I mean, launched himself into a polar orbit!

Megasoum

Banned
Halfway through Project BEAST 3 and I just want to cry. This rocket, in theory, could get him to Duna and back. But he's wasting so much goddamn fuel trying to get into orbit.

I mean, launched himself into a polar orbit!

I know it's killing me! No gravity turn too... He should be turning at 10k, not once he's at Apo lol

I know it's killing me! No orbital turn too... He should be turning at 10k, not once he's at Apo lol

The problem is, he is aware of the idea of a "gravity turn" at launch, he just has himself convinced that leaning in any direction is OK, when you very specifically need to be turning east. Sooooooo much wasted fuel.

I'm going to ask Vinny on Twitter if he could post the save file for his rockets, because his rockets have so much fuel and thrust he could make it to Mun, then Minimus, then back.

Megasoum

Banned
The problem is, he is aware of the idea of a "gravity turn" at launch, he just has himself convinced that leaning in any direction is OK, when you very specifically need to be turning east. Sooooooo much wasted fuel.

I'm going to ask Vinny on Twitter if he could post the save file for his rockets, because his rockets have so much fuel and thrust he could make it to Mun, then Minimus, then back.

Yeah I sent him a message to tell him that even tho Mun is closer, Minmus is actually a much easier target for a first trip.

But anyway, the project BEAST videos were recorded in early december so who knows how far they got now.

Yeah I sent him a message to tell him that even tho Mun is closer, Minmus is actually a much easier target for a first trip.

But anyway, the project BEAST videos were recorded in early december so who knows how far they got now.

Minimus is a cakewalk. You can land on Minimus under RCS power. Speaking of RCS, he could be using those to help bleed off speed as well.

Megasoum

Banned
Minimus is a cakewalk. You can land on Minimus under RCS power. Speaking of RCS, he could be using those to help bleed off speed as well.

Yeah. He's making the classic rookie mistake of always fixing the issues by going bigger and more powerfull when he fact he should think about the TWR.

Megasoum

Banned
So in the next-time-on part of the video, the HUD looks different. Did they install mods or something?

Yup, including Engineer which is great since a lot of information they want is shown in there (time left of burn with the available fuel, radar altitude, etc).

Edit: https://youtu.be/uV0D0lk0qDY The voice recognition test at the beginning of the Binary Domain is still one of the funniest thing Jeff did. All the SEGA voices...holy shit. It also has a lot of one of my favorite thing on the site... aka hearing Drew laugh in the background from the control room.

I'm not sure Her Story was wroth €3.59 but it was an interesting experience nonetheless. I might just run through a FAQ to get these last few clips I'll never get myself.

tchocky

I'm not sure Her Story was wroth €3.59 but it was an interesting experience nonetheless. I might just run through a FAQ to get these last few clips I'll never get myself.

If you look through the games folders the clips are just video files so you can just play them in any media player.

Alright, I'm not even close to done with the witcher 3 and I'm starting to think it's better than both mgsv and SMM. The dandelion quest line is the only real obvious misstep here, everything after that just continues to get better and better

SomberOwl

I hope Jeff does some of that streaming he mentioned from home over the weekend or anytime soon. I love Jeff solo streams and there's not much going on right now. Everyone from every site is on break. Can't find much to watch.

Aw yeah. Sounded like they were excited by the videos on the Bombcast too. The guest top 10s are always fun too.

Been saving the last few podcasts for the next few days of work so i haven't listened to them yet. I can't wait for the videos/podcasts though. GOTY 2014 was when I started really getting into GB after subscribing and convincing other people to check them out.

Last year talks were really good even with a less than stellar year for games. This year it feels like each of them have a game they really loved and want to fight for.

popo

I hope Jeff does some of that streaming he mentioned from home over the weekend or anytime soon. I love Jeff solo streams and there's not much going on right now. Everyone from every site is on break. Can't find much to watch.

I think they were going to be this week, if he had time, which apparently he didn't. Jeff got away from doing streams at weekends and during holidays. Which sucks for us but is likely a good decision for him.

Do you like podcasts? Because if you do, then hold on tight until Monday.

justjim89

I think it's kinda funny when people will try and backseat drive with Vinny with Kerbal when it's LITERALLY rocket science. Heaven forbid the guy have some trouble with it.

I think it's kinda funny when people will try and backseat drive with Vinny with Kerbal when it's LITERALLY rocket science. Heaven forbid the guy have some trouble with it.

I like watching them figure it out and make more progress with each run. Its no fun to see someone easily beat this kind of game when experimentation is the main draw of it.

I'm somehow in the same situation with Yakuza and Trails, I got Y5 but I'm compelled to first play Y4 which I had from PS+, and I'm eyeing Trails of Cold Steel even though I have TitS FC on Steam and I keep hearing I should just play that first... I'd love to play all of these but that's just so very much time lol.

Firing up Project Beast ep3 on the iPad to play while chopping up vegetables and such for tomorrow.

Tubobutts

Vinny's weird brain shouldn't be shackled by science and expertise. Sure, a few more Kerbals might have survived, but is that really worth it?

I'm somehow in the same situation with Yakuza and Trails, I got Y5 but I'm compelled to first play Y4 which I had from PS+, and I'm eyeing Trails of Cold Steel even though I have TitS FC on Steam and I keep hearing I should just play that first... I'd love to play all of these but that's just so very much time lol.

Yakuza 5 kinda relies on playing through the other games and knowing the characters/story. Trails of Cold Steel is mostly seperate from Trails in the Sky FC/SC as it features a whole new cast in a completely seperate country (though in the same world). You could start with Cold Steel first and be totally fine, but then you're kinda missing out on the overall plotline that originated in Trails in the Sky.

So yeah, you should start with Trails in the Sky, if only because FC/SC are amazing.

demidar

The worldbuilding in the Trails series is amazing. Even if the games take place in the periphery of the others (-in the Sky is different from -Cold Steel), you have a greater understanding of the setting of the immediate game. Characters are informed of events, places and noteworthy figures mentioned in other games and it greatly strengthens the immersion and cohesion of the world as an actual place with history and driven by numerous political agendas.

I didn't hate the dandelion quest as much as others. I thought it dragged on for a little too long, but I liked the characters in it so I wasn't bothered too much.

Agree that Skellige is where the game really shines though.

edit: I can tell I'm an adult now because I still haven't finished listening to the podcast since I've been listening to it in 20 minute bursts on my drive to and from work.

Chopping veggies with B.E.A.S.T. on was not a great idea, I'm getting absolutely nothing done.

Yakuza 5 kinda relies on playing through the other games and knowing the characters/story. Trails of Cold Steel is mostly seperate from Trails in the Sky FC/SC as it features a whole new cast in a completely seperate country (though in the same world). You could start with Cold Steel first and be totally fine, but then you're kinda missing out on the overall plotline that originated in Trails in the Sky.

So yeah, you should start with Trails in the Sky, if only because FC/SC are amazing.

Yeah, I think I'm going to start with the earlier ones on both, Yakuza for the story and TitS for the "I'm not sure I'd come back to this after the newer one" factor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom