• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #19 | Patrick Wins 2-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

yami4ct

Starting with 4 and moving to 5 is the best for newcomers. Missing out on the first three is inconsequential, in my opinion. Ought to treat it as backstory. Not much in the way of plot threads shared between games.

It is fixed. Then in some ways worse in 3. Then better again from there.

If 2 gets remade and comes over, people should absolutely play 2. Best story Yakuza has told.

Joeku

playing through that, too, atm

what don't you like about it?

Posted about it a few pages ago. The only things I don't like in the game whatsoever are the sound loop of the city (I hear some dude on like a 2-second loop) and the weird lack of effective lock-on and sliding around of characters in combat. The whole of combat really just needs that Gen 7 polish and tightness. My combos don't land, lock-ons don't lock on, and characters both get hit from nowhere and do not get hit from the front at times.

Most of the combat is a cakewalk, though, so overall the game's a silly melodramatic blast so far.

daydream

Banned
Posted about it a few pages ago. The only things I don't like in the game whatsoever are the sound loop of the city (I hear some dude on like a 2-second loop) and the weird lack of effective lock-on and sliding around of characters in combat. The whole of combat really just needs that Gen 7 polish and tightness. My combos don't land, lock-ons don't lock on, and characters both get hit from nowhere and do not get hit from the front at times.

Most of the combat is a cakewalk, though, so overall the game's a silly melodramatic blast so far.

yeah, those are fair points, for sure. lack of lock-on is the only thing that's been bothering me but like you said, not the degree that the combat ceased being fun. it's still super satisfying.

one rather particular complaint, however, is that sometimes when i go in for punching someone, they automatically counter by dodging, then tackling me to the ground and i don't know how to avoid it aside from just changing my entire battle stance to a "wait & counter" tactic. so i still let those counters happen while also being a bit more cautious in general

If 2 gets remade and comes over, people should absolutely play 2. Best story Yakuza has told.

Absolutely. All I'm getting at is the series can be tackled in any order.

I'd really like the remake of 1 to make it over, with Japanese audio. Much as I appreciate the English dub for Mark Hamill's Majima, it's strange to go back to. Heck, I'd buy the HD Remasters on Wii U if Nintendo decides to pad out their roster next year.

Joeku

yeah, those are fair points, for sure. lack of lock-on is the only thing that's been bothering me but like you said, not the degree that the combat ceased being fun. it's still super satisfying.

one rather particular complaint, however, is that sometimes when i go in for punching someone, they automatically counter by dodging, then tackling me to the ground and i don't know how to avoid it aside from just changing my entire battle stance to a "wait & counter" tactic. so i still let those counters happen while also being a bit more cautious in general

Yeah, I assume being overall way more defensive than I am would probably help, especially considering how locked into combos I feel at times.

It's fun hearing Luke Skywalker use Japanese honorifics, though. Little bit of a full circle, there.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Absolutely. All I'm getting at is the series can be tackled in any order.

Eh. The best way to enjoy the game is having played all the games since the start in order due to all the little nods. But it's a daunting task and I'd never tell anyone to do it unless they really like the games like I do.

But story-wise the only ones I'd say are strongly connected are
1-3-0
4-5 with some 2 thrown in there due to the Omi alliance. The only one that I feel like is a REALLY strong connection is 4 and 5 though due to Saejima and Akiyama's stories.

Y3 gets some shit, but it's got some real good side stoires(the ones that weren't cut) and that ending will fuck you up.

dan's christmas

CXCZ45HWQAAd7kw.jpg:medium

that rocky poster is pretty fucking dope
That Rocky IV poster is too good, I wish I had one. Though maybe with the Russian name.

Merry Christmas folks. Let's enjoy this time of civility because in a few days we'll be ripping eachother's throats out over whether The Witcher 3 deserved to be left out of the top ten.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
I wish that stuff would hit sooner. Much downtime and some long drives around the holidays would get a lot better.

Jintor

Today was a really, really good day. Merry Christmas, GBGaf

.edit project BEAST's semisuccess kinda makes me want to play kerbel

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
The Beastcast RSS propagated! It's a Christmas Miracle!

Merry Chirstmas, Beastcast RSS.

Also you staying in australia for good jintor?

Myggen

Man, the GOTY stuff dropping December 28-January 1 is the ideal time for me. 24th and 25th are family days, 26th is the "go out and get drunk" day, and then there's really nothing planned until New Year's Eve. Thanks Giant Bomb!

popo

I would have liked to have seen a Ryckert family gift exchange. I suspect Dan is easy to buy for.

"Here you go Dan, it took a while to track down that limited edition poster I saw you tweeting about. The framing turned out a little pricey but it came out really nice! For me? You really shouldn't have! [rustle of paper] Toilet paper with your face printed on? How original! Oh, and a Taco Bell gift card!"

Whatever happened to the movie podcast with Alex and Rorie?

I don't see either of them tweeting about movies like they used to, especially Rorie. These OT podcasts are usually worth listening to, but they should stop them once they cease to be fun and become an obligation. Like Jeff and wrestling.

Myggen

New beastcast is kind of hard to concentrate on when you're doing something else.

Haha yeah, I had to give up and will probably listen to it from the start again tomorrow. I find that role playing podcasts are the only podcasts I need to give my full attention.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom