• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #19 | Patrick Wins 2-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
It feels like he's working towards it, yeah. Or maybe he just misses what he did at GB?

Anyways, the real shocker is that he had not seen Halloween until a few days ago.

Anjin M

So is Patrick "just another YouTuber" now? Him doing Let's Plays and the dumb thumbnails is kinda depressing.

That said I really love his Maker Morning series. I even got my family hooked over the holidays.
Patrick has hit the "If you can't beat them, join them" stage of his YouTube career. He has always liked to experiment. He's probably curious to see if playing to the stereotype will work for him or not. If it doesn't, he'll go another direction.

Patrick has hit the "If you can't beat them, join them" stage of his YouTube career. He has always liked to experiment. He's probably curious to see if playing to the stereotype will work for him or not. If it doesn't, he'll go another direction.

He said this at one point:

Patrick said:
I spent 2015 uploading videos that riffed on what I’d done at Giant Bomb—hey, here’s me playing a game! That didn’t work at all. At least, if you measure “work” by producing a steady number of new subscribers pushing the channel towards becoming a viable source of income that makes the time invested worthwhile. In 2016, I’m changing my approach, and trying to play towards my strengths.

So if what he's doing now is him "playing towards his strengths", that means that deep inside he was a Generic Yelling Youtuber all along, he was just hiding it.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
He's talked about it in the past. He wants to work on his portfolio, become more valuable. Like he started to appear in videos at some point, started podcasting at some point and gained a miraculous amount of twitter followers at some point.

patapuf

wait, so is youtube his hobby or some weird side project?

I'd guess a bit of both? Given how personality driven game coverage is becoming he might want to keep the leg he has in that area.

I don't know how prominently kotaku writers are presented on the site.

danm999

Patrick is probably clever enough to know that the days of writing alone in games coverage are at an end except for a very small handful of people.

That's why it's depressing to me. Patrick is one of the good guys. Seeing him having to play the YT game in order to make money... yuck.

The moment Giant Bomb takes a similar approach I quit.

I mean, that's the point of the subscription model basically. To avoid that.

Tubobutts

That's why it's depressing to me. Patrick is one of the good guys. Seeing him having to play the YT game in order to make money... yuck.

What if I told you that Giant Bomb employs the most popular Taco Bell Periscope streamer in the world?

Noaloha

I don't see it as a matter of necessity (of "having to play the YT game"), rather I consider it simply a wise investment in your own name, in your future value (for want of a better term) as a figure in the industry. If Patrick's YT content is getting him on the map for a whole bunch of ten year olds this year, that's a whole bunch of fifteen year olds who know of him - or who remember him, who like him - five years down the line; a bunch of twenty year olds ten years down the line, etc.

Lijik

tbh the thing that depresses me about patricks post-gb output are the kotaku articles where he inserts reaction gifs reacting to the shit he just wrote every other paragraph

i fucking hate that style of article writing, so thats probably just a me thing.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
So is Patrick "just another YouTuber" now? Him doing Let's Plays and the dumb thumbnails is kinda depressing.

Yeah.......I can't really deal with his Youtube persona. He is a great dude and I don't really care that he does "let's plays" cause that's what you have to do, but maaaaan I just....I don't know what happened I used to find him pretty entertaining but I just can't watch his Undertale run. I can't.
But I understand that he has to do whatever works, so...

Tubobutts

A wizard is usually much bigger than a knife so you have more reach. A wizard can also act as an effective ranged weapon and as a shield.

And a wizard can totally kill a knife. Or make it so the knife doesn't want to live anymore at least.

Fantastapotamus

A wizard is usually much bigger than a knife so you have more reach. A wizard can also act as an effective ranged weapon and as a shield.

And a wizard can totally kill a knife. Or make it so the knife doesn't want to live anymore at least.

I have played enough RPGs in my time to tell you that even when I obliterated an enemy with a fire spell, his knifes still survived. Lying on the floor, plotting their revenge.

oti

Banned
Yeah.......I can't really deal with his Youtube persona. He is a great dude and I don't really care that he does "let's plays" cause that's what you have to do, but maaaaan I just....I don't know what happened I used to find him pretty entertaining but I just can't watch his Undertale run. I can't.
But I understand that he has to do whatever works, so...

Every time he wahoos for a new sub I die a little bit inside.

Fantastapotamus

I'm just rewatching the Eurotruck Simulator QL now. Remember the time when Vinny managed to break Alexis and made him say "Maybe we should install AdBlock"?

Every time he wahoos for a new sub I die a little bit inside.

He has to do that though. That's the most depressing part about this. That's how Twitch works.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom