• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #19 | Patrick Wins 2-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

LiK

Spending upwards of five hours on Yakuza 5 Taxi missions, I ought to play a truck simulator one day. Nothing gets the blood pumping like SENSIBLE and SAFE driving. Left turn up ahead? Slam that turn signal!

Bet you can't have conversations in those other games tho!

I want both more taxi missions and more Haruka missions, I would seriously probably play dozens of hours of each

girl needs to get some new songs though

daydream

Banned
taxi missions have come a long way from vice city (which i played again earlier this week, really interesting to go back to it, actually)

Megasoum

Banned
I can't remember... How good are the built-in choices in ME2 when you create a new character from scratch since I don't have a ME1 save on my pc?

I wonder if it's worth all the hassle of going through the whole save editior thing to create a save file.

Edit: I see that the "Genesis" digital comic that was made for the PS3 version is available on PC but you actually have to buy it? This is fucking dumb... Also... Bioware Points....ugh

I just played Emily is Away, and I don't get *at all* why people are praising it soo much.
In almost every chapter I wanted to say something but the options weren't there for me, like I was supposed to play the game in a specific way.
I felt the same way. It relies so much on trying to poke at your own experiences but then doesn't give you enough options to mold the story to fit your own life. Instead it just feels like I'm playing the creator's story about that high school friend he always secretly wanted to fuck.

Zaph

Spending upwards of five hours on Yakuza 5 Taxi missions, I ought to play a truck simulator one day. Nothing gets the blood pumping like SENSIBLE and SAFE driving. Left turn up ahead? Slam that turn signal!
One of my favourite things about the original Mafia game was the legal speed limit toggle to help prevent getting pulled over. Love little touches like that.

Fuck that town.

Amen to that.

eUKrh6U.jpg

I can't remember... How good are the built-in choices in ME2 when you create a new character from scratch since I don't have a ME1 save on my pc?

I wonder if it's worth all the hassle of going through the whole save editior thing to create a save file.

Edit: I see that the "Genesis" digital comic that was made for the PS3 version is available on PC but you actually have to buy it? This is fucking dumb... Also... Bioware Points....ugh

IIRC ME2's character creation is so much more advanced that you're basically better off remaking your character so they don't look weird for the next 30-40 hours (since it imports perfectly into ME3).

NinjaEdit: Oh, you mean the choices. It covers most of the big choices but skips one of the big planetary arcs that happened in ME1 with those bug people. Entirely. Probably because Bioware abandoned whatever plans they had for that choice. It's eventually plays a part in ME3, so it's a big loss.

Megasoum

Banned
IIRC ME2's character creation is so much more advanced that you're basically better off remaking your character so they don't look weird for the next 30-40 hours (since it imports perfectly into ME3).

Ah, not talking about the look, I always go with default male Shep cause the custom ones always look terrible.

More talking about decisions from ME1, ie I want Ashley and Wrex.

Bowlie

Banned
And now I've played another free, 30 minutes game: Dr. Langeskov, The Tiger and The Terribly Cursed Emerald: A Whirlwind Heist.

Unlike Emily is Away, I enjoyed it a lot. It's from Stanley Parable's writer William Pugh, and plays pretty well with what you think the game is about.

I felt the same way. It relies so much on trying to poke at your own experiences but then doesn't give you enough options to mold the story to fit your own life. Instead it just feels like I'm playing the creator's story about that high school friend he always secretly wanted to fuck.

Yup, it's highly restrictive. It's a bad game if you don't interact with the character the way the creator wants to.

Dineren

Banned
I can't believe EA still hasn't discounted any of the ME dlc on Origin. I'm starting to think I should just go ahead and buy it so I never have to think about it again. EA has won.

Megasoum

Banned
I can't believe EA still hasn't discounted any of the ME dlc on Origin. I'm starting to think I should just go ahead and buy it so I never have to think about it again. EA has won.

Yeah and the fact you still have to use Bioware points is complete bullshit.

At least looks like I already have everything except a couple of weapon packs (who cares), the Arrival which I remember being kinda shit and the digital comic which I don't care.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
I just played Emily is Away, and I don't get *at all* why people are praising it soo much.
In almost every chapter I wanted to say something but the options weren't there for me, like I was supposed to play the game in a specific way.

My brother-in law who is like 13 had me play this when I was at their place for xmas.

My biggest issue with it was that they just assume you're supposed to have a crush on her because she's a woman talking to you. There is no narrative or buildup suggesting that you two are more than just classmates. I played through like we were just friends as much as I could.
I wound up having sex with her and we parted ways.

I don't mean this in a derogatory way, but I think the people that it speaks to are the ones that immediate assume that they want to pursue Emily or the ones that have that sort of "forever alone" mentality. It wasn't a bad game by any means and I honestly believe more can be done with that style of UI and form of narrative. I would love to play through something with a little more weight or seriousness to it.

Bowlie

Banned
My brother-in law who is like 13 had me play this when I was at their place for xmas.

My biggest issue with it was that they just assume you're supposed to have a crush on her because she's a woman talking to you. There is no narrative or buildup suggesting that you two are more than just classmates. I played through like we were just friends as much as I could.
I wound up having sex with her and we parted ways.

I don't mean this in a derogatory way, but I think the people that it speaks to are the ones that immediate assume that they want to pursue Emily or the ones that have that sort of "forever alone" mentality. It wasn't a bad game by any means and I honestly believe more can be done with that style of UI and form of narrative. I would love to play through something with a little more weight or seriousness to it.
That's exactly it. I was fine at college, going out with Emma, and always treating her as a friend, until the game didn't let me anymore. And somehow in the end everything that had happened was my fault, and I had to bashfully sit and accept the options that were given.

When I call it "bad", it's because I don't think the interactive, gamey, part of the game is good.

Megasoum

Banned
Not even done with the Mass Effect 2 tutorial and I'm already hooked back in... That game is just so God Damn good.

Those textures (especiall for the suits) are kinda rough though... Even on PC.

ME2 is still the worst ME game and ME1 is the only great one in the series.

ME2 is just trying to make shitty friends when you're meant to be saving the universe. Fuck ME2.

ME2 is still the worst ME game and ME1 is the only great one in the series.

ME2 is just trying to make shitty friends when you're meant to be saving the universe. Fuck ME2.

I loved the first one at the time but the gameplay feels near-unplayable after the improvements made in 2 or 3. The leap in fluidness from ME1 to ME2 is pretty shocking.

Megasoum

Banned
I need a new controller for my PC. is it time to just get an XBONE controller?

Yes but make sure that you're getting one of the new XBONE controller (the one with the headphone jack and fixed D-Pad and LB/RB).

Nope, ME1 gameplay is great with a fantastic story and great worlds/missions.

The fact the story is self contained is great because it means you can pretend the sequels don't exist.

Hell... I'd even take ME3 over ME1.

I mean ME3 is way better than ME2 but is still a pretty average game.

ME1 is one of those classics where they totally focused on the wrong things in the sequel.

ME1 is a top 10 game for me easily.

Moldiver

I forget the structure to these. I've not finished MGSV and don't want the story spoiled withing the first 5 minutes of the podcasts.

Do they start from 10 and work their way down?

ME3 is the best playing one and has great MP so no.

Multiplayer is the only reason that I'm actually looking forward to ME4 at this point, I sunk way too much time into ME3's MP.

I forget the structure to these. I've not finished MGSV and don't want the story spoiled withing the first 5 minutes of the podcasts.

They build the list of games then work on cutting that down until it's at 10 and once they get the 10 they then work on ordering it. That won't be until the last day but MGSV will no doubt come up in best story and I don't think that has a set day for what podcast it will be on, you could always skip the best story award if you want to finish MGSV before the fifth day.

The top ten GOTY is only on day 5 -- but they very well could and probably will discuss MGSV spoilers at some point before that while discussing a different award.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom