• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #19 | Patrick Wins 2-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Myggen

I really want to know what my thought process was when I clicked here.
I almost just backed out too because I thought everyone in here was a little odd.

tumblr_ms9nksz0ej1qfnp35o1_400.gif

Mikey Jr.

Hey guys, posting this from the other thread.

"Sorry guys, hard to parse through this thread, but did Drew specifically say why Halo 5 wasn't on his top 10 list?

As the biggest Halo fan there, never heard his final opinion on the game. I thought he liked it enough to have it on his top 10, but apparently not. Has he ever discussed this and what his problems with the game were? "

I honestly don't remember what brought me to Giant Bomb.

It feels like one day I just got a subscription and the rest is a blur.

I moved when Jeff announced GB. I remember when I was at GS, the forums became a shit show because when Jeff left, slowly others did and of course GS's credibility was in question so yeah haha. Been on board ever since.

"Sorry guys, hard to parse through this thread, but did Drew specifically say why Halo 5 wasn't on his top 10 list?

As the biggest Halo fan there, never heard his final opinion on the game. I thought he liked it enough to have it on his top 10, but apparently not. Has he ever discussed this and what his problems with the game were? "

He enjoyed it but he doesn't think it's top 10 material. Middle chapter in a trilogy, Chief is in it for an hour or so, ends in a cliffhander(although not as bad as Halo 2's one) and of course, that fucking Warden.

Jeff getting fired from Gamespot is what brought me over to Giant Bomb.

Same

I didn't make a user account until I got premium in 2011 though. I think my earliest memory of the duders was watching the Wii unboxing live stream in 2006 on GameSpot. Then on the spot. That GameSpot era was ahead of the curve video wise.

Always surprised me rich Gallup never joined GB,I know he makes star trek games now but what did he do in the GB early years?

https://twitter.com/drewscanlon/status/682245404205793280
Halo 5's camaign is pretty unremarkable, so I can see why he didn't include it.

I really want to know what my thought process was when I clicked here.
I almost just backed out too because I thought everyone in here was a little odd.

And they you realized where you where.

Same

I didn't make a user account until I got premium in 2011 though. I think my earliest memory of the duders was watching the Wii unboxing live stream in 2006 on GameSpot. Then on the spot. That GameSpot era was ahead of the curve video wise.

Always surprised me rich Gallup never joined GB,I know he makes star trek games now but what did he do in the GB early years?

Rich Gallup, Greg Kasavin and Ryan Mcdonald are ones I always wished they joined.

strafer

Jeff getting fired from Gamespot is what brought me over to Giant Bomb.

I stayed with Gamespot for a while after he got fired, but then when all the regulars started to leave I did too, then Jeff and Ryan started GiantBomb and haven't watched a single video on Gamespot since then.

I do login to my account once a while to check stuff. I miss the level up system and the old GS badges.

Bw1tZWs.png

Bowlie

Banned

"It's a good Halo game, but I think- They added some interesting stuff with the squad management, I guess it wasn't that successful, sometimes it's not great, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. (...)

It was a nice way to go, I like the changes they made to the movement, I think they retain what makes Halo Halo while bringing it up to a modern standard; I don't think it's exemplary in any area."

danm999

Yeah I was big into GameSpot back in the day but once the exodus of talent after Jeff's firing occured I dropped off the site.

But I didn't actually transition back to Giant Bomb until about 2010-2011 proper.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
I was on GoNintendo (as you do) and saw a link to the Quicklook of some Prince of Persia game so I clicked it, watched it and thought "Hey, I like this "We talk over gameplay" idea". So I watched all the other QLs and liked them, except the terribly boring first few. That was right around the time of the Deadly Premonition ER and the rest is history.
I also distinctly remember seeng 156 episode of the Person 4 ER and thinking "Lol, not gonna watch this, I don't have the time to do that!".

How young and naive I was back then, full of hopes and dreams.

Jothel

I was on holiday over GOTY and missed that entire thread and haven't seen this thread since page 50ish... should I read it all?

Zaph

Rich left Gamespot just prior to Jeff's firing to move to the east coast with his wife. He got into game dev and was around for the 38 Studios implosion.

The whole firing thing was actually amazing timing given the exodus of talent that was already happening at GS (Greg, Rich, Carrie etc) and Dave/Coonce/Ethan being ready with WM to build a game site relatively easily.

I was on holiday over GOTY and missed that entire thread and haven't seen this thread since page 50ish... should I read it all?

Most of this thread since coming back is the Patrick vs Dan stream last night on Twitch/Periscope so there's not much GOTY talk here.

I wouldn't recommend reading that thread, but I'm not really the kind of guy that reads the posts on threads, especially the backlog for them.

Anno

I listened to the podcast since close to it launching but never used the site for anything I think until the infamous bear moment of November 2011.

santeesioux

I started following the site when I randomly decided to add their channel on the Roku, and at that time the newest video was Bread shitting all over Resident Evil 6 in the quick look for that game, so Bread got me into the site.

justjim89

My first video was the Kirby's Epic Yarn QL because I was thinking of buying it and was searching for a video review. The second I heard Ryan and Alex's voices, I remembered them from my days of watching On the Spot and Button Mashing weekly.

strafer

Burnout: Paradise
Call of Duty 4
Killzone 2
Rock Band
Unreal Tournament 3
littlebigplanet
Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction
Echochrome
a new PSP
a new PC
World in Conflict
Kane & Lynch: Dead Men
Guitar Hero III
Tony Hawk's Proving Ground
The Simpsons Game
Super Mario Galaxy
SingStar
Virtua Fighter 5
BioShock
Everyday Shooter

Been following them forever. Earliest content I can specifically remember reading regularly was the original Gamespotting articles way back, like 2002/2003?

That's the earliest I remember following them as individual people, but would visit GS before then as well.

Brashnir

Someone with more Photoshop skill than me needs to take one of those majestic shots of the ship from Project BEAST 04 and turn it into an homage to this album cover:

Preferably with "Boston" changed to "BEASTIN"

0UZ9eIw.jpg

Some years ago over half a decade ago
WTF
, I'd guess it was the pre-Patrick era, I was getting into watching TotalBiscuit's "WTF is..." series to get my gameplay video fix. Eventually I stumbled across GB somehow and watched some stuff there, with a back-and-forth between TB and GB for a while. The two-person QL formula gave them an entertaining edge over the almost documentary-style of the WTF Is... series, though it was some combination of the Tony Hawk Ride QL, the BR Deadly Premonition Endurance Run, and Brad's dulcet tones that cemented my viewership.

And in a mere two or three years after that, I figured Giant Bomb wasn't that dodgy after all and ended up subscribing.

Volotaire

I started lurking GAF a lot in early 2012. I knew about GB, but only as another video games website. While I was lurking GAF and looking for podcasts, I saw the Giant Bombcast, and GB, constantly reiterated as suggestions. I never looked back after my first listen.

yami4ct

I stayed with Gamespot for a while after he got fired, but then when all the regulars started to leave I did too, then Jeff and Ryan started GiantBomb and haven't watched a single video on Gamespot since then.

I do login to my account once a while to check stuff. I miss the level up system and the old GS badges.

We telling stories about how we came to GB? I'm a veteran from the HotSpot days (some were around longer, but that still seems impossibly long ago). After Jeff was fired, I stuck around a bit even though I was uncomfortable with the situation. When the other major folks got out, I moved to 1up. I started checking out Arrow Pointing Down when Jeff and Ryan started that out. I became a subscriber during the first Big Live Live Show and GB became my only major game site when 1up imploded.

The first video I watched was the Dead Rising 2: Case Zero QL, probably because it was one of the first sites to have proper footage of it. I remember being pissed off cause they were talking shit right at the beginning of that vid and I thought "they can't do that. How lame. Introduce the game first."

Now like 5 years later I'd be probably pissed off when they do start off a video with a dry introduction.

Scizzy

I learned about Giant Bomb during a guest appearance by Brad on the Baseball Prospectus podcast. One of the hosts (now an executive with the Houston Astros) was a big GB fan and had Brad on to talk video games for an hour. I'm sure Brad worried he was wasting his time, but he got GB at least one longtime fan.

Absol

Around January 2009ish, when Justin.TV was still a thing, and I was still watching 4PlayerPodcast. Brad, one of the streamers, mentioned one night that a website called Giant Bomb was doing an "endurance run" of Persona 4. Did not what the fuck an endurance run was so I googled giant bomb and endurance run. Watched a few videos and got instantly hooked. Got my brother hooked too when I was home from college and I was watching one of their quick looks lol.

Lunar FC

Are they really going to spend the next Kerbal ep trying to resuce the kerbals who are stuck in space? They're just going to get more stuck up there in the process.

Are they really going to spend the next Kerbal ep trying to resuce the kerbals who are stuck in space? They're just going to get more stuck up there in the process.

Considering the goal was to get to the moon and back and then the series (presumably) ends, I'm okay with this diversion.

danm999

And remember the last time they got one stranded at the end of an episode and Alex immediately asked if they would rescue them the next episode, Vinny pretended he didn't know what Alex was talking about.

Myggen

I learned about Giant Bomb during a guest appearance by Brad on the Baseball Prospectus podcast. One of the hosts (now an executive with the Houston Astros) was a big GB fan and had Brad on to talk video games for an hour. I'm sure Brad worried he was wasting his time, but he got GB at least one longtime fan.

Haha, I had no idea this ever happened.

What brought me over to Giant Bomb...it was before the first MGScanlon. I honestly can't say what brought me to subscribe to GB...

I don't remember what made me a regular, but I had (with no regularity) visited GB since it's inception. I remember watching all their PS Move/Kinect reviews from late 2010 and their Vita coverage from late 2011.. The first podcast of theirs I listened to was a random E3 2012 after-hours show because it said Will Smith was a guest. Well, I mean it wasn't lying..... The first regular Bombcast I remember listening to was one where Patrick told a story about spamming a jukebox with the X-Files theme. Around then, I subscribed to the Bombcast on iTunes, but it was still not my favorite video game podcast (my primaries then were Podcast Beyond and PSNation Podcast- fun fact, the podcast network where PSNation came from also hosts a podcast called Interactive Distractions, which Jason was (still is?) a co-host)). I subscribed to the YouTube channel and started regularly watching their Quick Looks (quickly realizing that name was perhaps not quite accurate ;p). The first GOTY content I fully listened to was 2012 (when XCOM won). I still was not quite familiar with the whole crew, so when they Skyped in Alex, I was like, who is this guy? Why have I never heard of him until this point? By 2013, I was fully 100% a fan of the site. I had no idea how rough of a year it would be for Giant Bomb. Finally in 2014, I finally took the plunge and became a Premium Member (only for UPF), but soon after I realized how much stuff I was missing out on. It's funny, my rise in interest in Giant Bomb, seems to mirror NeoGAF's. The first two threads lasted a while. Around the third thread, things just started to accelerate. Instead of almost a year, the threads last a month or two before a new one is needed.

Great stories, guys. Takes me back. I love this community, Infact I never knew there was one because I joined Neogaf mid-2014 but stuck only to gaming section, then off-topic section and now I'm here.

I think if you guys notice, I just barged in here like I was with this community all this time lmao.

Patryn

Color me another person who came over after 1Up imploded. I can't recall what exactly brought me to GB, but if I had to hazard a guess, it was the 2Human Video Thing that put it on my map, and then the P4 Endurance Run hooked me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom