• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #19 | Patrick Wins 2-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dineren

Banned
I learned about Giant Bomb during a guest appearance by Brad on the Baseball Prospectus podcast. One of the hosts (now an executive with the Houston Astros) was a big GB fan and had Brad on to talk video games for an hour. I'm sure Brad worried he was wasting his time, but he got GB at least one longtime fan.

I was bored enough to track this down. If anyone wants to listen to this you can get it here. Brad joins around 1:46:00.

I had a friend who watched GB that got me into it. I purposely ignored all Jeff content for a while because I still saw him as the guy who was too lazy to use motion controls due to the Twilight Princess review, but I eventually came around to him. I'm glad I did because I ended up meeting Brad andhim at this last E3 and they were both really nice.

Since we're talking about how we got introduced to GB...I've pretty much been here since the beginning. I was one of the people outraged at the time for Jeff's firing from Gamespot, and followed where ever he went after that. Which is kinda strange, because I wasn't like an avid visitor of gamespot by any means, but I did go there occasionally over the years. I did watch certain coverage they did like the launch of the Wii, and the On the Spot show. Never really started listening to podcasts until the beginnings of Giantbomb either. I still pretty much only listen to the bombcast and beastcast now though, lol.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I actually got into 1up after GiantBomb posthumous. I loved Broken Pixels. I did view 1up before that but all I remember was it being a really slow Myspace with video games.

I'd been following Jeff, Greg, and more specifically Alex since like... forever.

Megasoum

Banned
I can't remember how I found GB exactly...

I know that one the very first thing I've seen was the iPhone app commercial...

Maybe it has to do with the fact I started working for Eidos in January 2008 lol...

Scizzy

I was bored enough to track this down. If anyone wants to listen to this you can get it here. Brad joins around 1:46:00.

I remember this being a really interesting overview of the industry as it stood in 2011, so it might be worth a listen if you're a super-fan.

I had a friend who watched GB that got me into it. I purposely ignored all Jeff content for a while because I still saw him as the guy who was too lazy to use motion controls due to the Twilight Princess review, but I eventually came around to him. I'm glad I did because I ended up meeting Brad andhim at this last E3 and they were both really nice.

I hope to meet them someday, i'm real fucking far haha. Live in the middle east, that's like half a world away.

I heard this one a while ago. I found it weird that Jeff didn't join in, because, out of all the guys, he seems to be into baseball (at least retro baseball games) the most.

I can't remember how I got into Giant Bomb. It was definitely during its first year. Probably because of GAF and the blowback over the Kane and Lynch stuff.

Also, I finished Undertale. Neutral route. That final boss totally got robbed for best moment. And best story. And best character.

And this happened:
i2rA5uY.jpg

I'm going to be buying a lot of these, aren't I?

thanks austin

Jintor

i don't remember either. i don't remember at all.

it wasn't early enough to be gamespot firing. Definitely pre-patrick. I honestly can't recall.

Harpuia

I think I found GB like the weeks before their Deadly Premonition ERs began. I used to get my fill of Personality Based™ content from screwattack. I think I was on a Persona frenzy from gigidigi's Persona comics (everyone should read Cucumberquest btw.) I probably finished watching it over the course of 2 months (that was a LONG series) and went "man I want more." So I jumped onto DP and then again went "I still need more!" I saw their QLs as mini ERs and sooner or later I regularly tuned in and began listening to their podcast.

I am inarguably a huge fan now lmao. I even went to Jeffs NYU game center thing. I was a legitimate GB groupie at that point... I even waited outside the center for a chance to be let in if there were extra seats.

jtar86

I found GiantBomb when I was trying to figure out what happened to Patrick. I liked him on the G4 podcast feedback he did with Adam Sessler. Turns out he did a stint at 1up and then ended up at a place call GiantBomb. I immediately recognized Jeff from gamespot, watched some of their videos and started giving them 5 dollars a month.

justjim89

I really hope there's a person out there who was trying to be nefarious and blow up a building or something, Googled giant bomb, found the site and realized, "Hey, I don't need terrorism! I can have video games instead!"

Uncle AJ

Yeah I started out following Gamespot, then 1UP started to dominate the mindshare, and right when that was at its peak Jeff's Gamespot debacle happened and I followed him along for the ride.

Then I discovered Persona 4 because of GB and that changed quite a bit for my direction in life!

I can't remember how I got into Giant Bomb. It was definitely during its first year. Probably because of GAF and the blowback over the Kane and Lynch stuff.

Also, I finished Undertale. Neutral route. That final boss totally got robbed for best moment. And best story. And best character.

And this happened:

I'm going to be buying a lot of these, aren't I?

thanks austin

That's a good gundam to have! One of us @_@

If it gives us more content than I hope he launches the entire Kerbal population onto the moon.

If B.E.A.S.T. can't get a Kerbal to Mun and back, they will literally never be able to rescue Kerbals stuck in orbit, lol. The difference in difficulty with Mun landing and orbital docking is in the orders of the magnitude.

GavinGT

Banned
If B.E.A.S.T. can't get a Kerbal to Mun and back, they will literally never be able to rescue stuck in orbit, lol. The difference in difficulty with Mun landing and orbital docking is in the orders of the magnitude.

This is what I came to say. Hopefully Vinny watches some Youtube videos on how to rendezvous and spends a few hours practicing or that's never going to happen. They really only need to rendezvous, which is way easier than docking.

He pretty much just needs to learn how to:

1) match orbital inclinations (realizing that launching east gets you an equatorial orbit would make this easier)
2) find an approximate rendezvous point by orbiting just under/above the target and timeskipping
3) alternate between burning toward the target and burning retrograde

mhanna49

Neo Member
I remember reading about Jeff being fired from Gamespot and a while after that reading that he was making a new website called Giant Bomb. I vaguely remember visiting the site a few times between 2008 and 2013 but wasn't impressed by what I saw.

During E3 2013, some site (maybe /r/games on Reddit?) linked to Giant Bomb's E3 videos and I remember watching The Longest Day behind the scenes video. It was the first time I really was interested in the "personalities" of people who worked at a gaming web site. It felt awkward for me when Ryan died so soon after I started following the site. Even though I didn't really know him or his work very well, I felt kind of bummed out for the guys after they lost a close friend.

I've been listening to the Bombcast and watching most of the quick looks since then and subscribed right before the 2015 Big Live Live Show. I've been (mostly) lurking this thread since 2014 before I had a Gaf account. The Giant Bomb discussion here has always been "interesting".

Did this one over Christmas. Dan could get in on this action

Ran out of ink in my pens so I need to finish paneling when they come in @_@

I would do an MG model but I dislike the idea of needing to detail them >_> Atleast with Gunpla I can just ink in details.

Some kind of... build... club?

In Video form!

I remember reading about Jeff being fired from Gamespot and a while after that reading that he was making a new website called Giant Bomb. I vaguely remember visiting the site a few times between 2008 and 2013 but wasn't impressed by what I saw.

During E3 2013, some site (maybe /r/games on Reddit?) linked to Giant Bomb's E3 videos and I remember watching The Longest Day behind the scenes video. It was the first time I really was interested in the "personalities" of people who worked at a gaming web site. It felt awkward for me when Ryan died so soon after I started following the site. Even though I didn't really know him or his work very well, I felt kind of bummed out for the guys after they lost a close friend.

I've been listening to the Bombcast and watching most of the quick looks since then and subscribed right before the 2015 Big Live Live Show. I've been (mostly) lurking this thread since 2014 before I had a Gaf account. The Giant Bomb discussion here has always been "interesting".

This reminds me! I got hooked after watching the E3 after hours show where Boyes brought in the PS4! That's right. I think that's the one where Evilore showed up?

I've been with Giant Bomb since day one (WordPress blog...). I've been following the guys since the GameSpot days, beginning at some point in 2004. Was a HotSpot listener almost from the beginning (still remember my first HotSpot episode; the one after 2005's G.A.M.E.). Freelanced for Screened for two years, one with Whiskey, one with BermanBraun. Rorie and Alex are awesome guys.

Crazy to think I've been following these guys for 10+ years... memories and feels. They're awesome people.

SeanR1221

I only got into GB this year. My buddy is a big fan and I started listening to the podcast and now I'm hooked. Easily has the best personalities in gaming. I love the laid back attitude they all have and none of them come off like overly hyper fanboys like other sites.

Kaizer

Banned
I vaguely followed GameSpot in my early teens, as I really didn't start using game websites till I was about 13, which was 2005. I sorta remember seeing Jeff & Ryan on there, but mainly my memories of GameSpot center around using the site constantly for their coverage of E3 2006 to look dozens of games.

I can't remember how I discovered Giant Bomb, but I know the first video I ever saw, back in 2012, was the Quick Look for Hulk Hogan's Main Event. When Jeff shouted "I'M GONNA MAKE SWEET LOVE TO HIM FROM THE BACK UEHHHHHHHHHHHH" I fucking died of laughter for an hour. Seriously, I'd never laughed that hard in my life, I was a mess of tears and sweat by the time I cooled down.

I recognized Jeff from GameSpot and have been a fan ever since.

Respected Gamespot for their articles/reviews but never watched their videos

Heard of Jeff due to his long time reputation of being harsh with review scores (plus that Twilight Princess incident lol)

Once that firing thing happened i never looked at Gamespot the same way ever again (even now i still don't).

Heard Jeff and some of his friends who left starting something new then saw those GB "ad" videos and it was officially cemented when i saw that 2Human video

Dunbar

I listened to every 1UP podcast circa 2006-2007 and eventually started to listen to the Hotspot through people recommending it as an addition to the 1UP stuff.

When Jeff got fired, it was a big deal both on the 1UP podcasts and the Hotspot obviously. I kept an eye on GB once it started to get going in 2008, but I figured, "This website with 3-4 guys working on it is never going to amount to anything, even if I do think a few of them are funny."

In summer 2008, they put out a spoilercast for Metal Gear Solid 4, which was at the time probably my most anticipated game ever. I loved the podcast and I started listening and going to the website regularly.

Fast forward six months and 1UP as we knew it was dead. It was an easy transition to GB as my main gaming site, and they'd really gotten their feet under them by then. Been a fan ever since. Hard to believe it'll be 8 years this summer.

AcridMeat

Banned
My first exposure to Giant Bomb was incredible. It was my first PAX in 2008, and Giant Bomb was having their first ever panel, which was in this little corner of a hall. My friend suggested we go since it "was the new site Jeff and some others from Gamespot are doing." They opened with their Too Human beef video as an introduction to their new site/what they do now and I was 100% sold. Got to quickly thank Jeff afterward too.

I can't believe how long ago that was now.
I religiously followed Gamespot and all of their video content. Giantbomb was a natural transition.
Same here.

My first exposure to Giant Bomb was incredible. It was my first PAX in 2008, and Giant Bomb was having their first ever panel, which was in this little corner of a hall. My friend suggested we go since it "was the new site Jeff and some others from Gamespot are doing." They opened with their Too Human beef video as an introduction to their new site/what they do now and I was 100% sold. Got to quickly thank Jeff afterward too.

I can't believe how long ago that was now.
Same here.

I was at that panel too!

Edit: My friend asked where Greg Kasavin was and Jeff said something like, "He's making a game dude."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom