• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #19 | Patrick Wins 2-1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just started Just Cause 3 on PS4 and, unless they patched it for performance, I think it's running quite well for me. I'm still a little finicky with the grapple, but I'm sure I'll get the hang* of it.

*sorry

Also, I just finished
Assassin's Creed:
Syndicate. Evie and Jacob are such wonderfully fun characters. I hope they return in another game. It was the first AC game for me since the original game.

I just started Just Cause 3 on PS4 and, unless they patched it for performance, I think it's running quite well for me. I'm still a little finicky with the grapple, but I'm sure I'll get the hang* of it.

*sorry

I played a little as well. Apart from some frame rate dips and fairly long loading times, it's been okay. I hear it gets worse as you get further into the game, haven't gotten that far myself.

kingocfs

Yay origin stories!

Date joined: 2008-07-21

I followed Jeff over from Gamespot.

Also a dirty Gamespot convert. Started posting at GS in 2002, loved those forums. Kind of drifted away from it as the crew split up, though.

Started paying attention once they launched the blog. I remember that I was on vacation when the site first went up. Kind of crazy to think that I've been following them at GB longer than I did at GS. Time is flying.

Yay origin stories!

Also a dirty Gamespot convert. Started posting at GS in 2002, loved those forums. Kind of drifted away from it as the crew split up, though.

Started paying attention once they launched the blog. I remember that I was on vacation when the site first went up. Kind of crazy to think that I've been following them at GB longer than I did at GS. Time is flying.

I wonder, in 2018, if they'll do a decade celebration day or something.

Jothel

was on Gamespot from around 2003ish, I remember seeing Danny O'Dwyer in the chat a lot and we had the same dream of eventually working over there, however Danny actually got his arse in gear and did something about it.

jmood88

I joined the site on 5/24/09, though I'm pretty sure I had been listening to the podcast long before I ever visited the site. I don't actually have any idea when I first started listening; I think I saw it listed in a podcast thread on some videogame forum and decided to listen. I used to make sure to listen to 1up Yours/whatever the name was before all the layoffs every week but I gradually stopped listening to that and made the Bombcast my main videogame podcast as Garnett and Shane annoyed the hell out of me.

I've been a subscriber since they first introduced subscriptions but the only piece of merchandise I own is the original shirt that came with the first subscription (the one with all the whiskey media people on a roller coaster) but I have no idea where that shirt is now.

Jothel

just remind wanna remind people of the existence of this
it's a link to all of the past GOTY stuff. I'm currently going through 2012 again. When the staff have the time to do this it's always amazing. Already looking forward to next year.

Gurrry

just remind wanna remind people of the existence of this
it's a link to all of the past GOTY stuff. I'm currently going through 2012 again. When the staff have the time to do this it's always amazing. Already looking forward to next year.

Roomies should be a real thing

How I found GB: After an e3 one year, i was looking to find some post-event coverage. This was back when I was on justinTV non-stop. I ended up stumbling on giant bombs stream and watched them interview developers and others. I had never seen anything like it before and I was instantly hooked.

What sucked was that it was the only content of GB I got until the next e3. I had no idea they did a podcast until I looked it up.

I think the first Bombcast episode I listened to had a part where someone made a joke about intelligent design and someone responded something like "Careful...". Does anyone remember if this happened and when it was?

I've been listening through the early episodes I missed over the past year and a half*, and am up to August 2009. I don't remember the year I started but I think it was 2010 as I don't remember Patrick joining when I was listening.

*I started doing this once before, but only for an episode or two of Arrow Pointing Down...sometime in the first four days of July 2013. I guess it felt weird to continue right then.

Doop

I started watching Giant Bomb in summer of 2013. People talking about watching gamespot back in '05 and stuff is kinda amazing to me. Just makes me wonder where Giant Bomb will be in 10 years.

Edit: Also I watched the "don't shake the baby" video long before I started watching them regularly.

I'm more of a day of reckoning person.

Day of Reckoning was awesome. I played the second one all the time with friends on the GC.

I started watching Giant Bomb in summer of 2013. People talking about watching gamespot back in '05 and stuff is kinda amazing to me. Just makes me wonder where Giant Bomb will be in 10 years.

Edit: Also I watched the "don't shake the baby" video long before I started watching them regularly.

Playing Destiny.

was on Gamespot from around 2003ish, I remember seeing Danny O'Dwyer in the chat a lot and we had the same dream of eventually working over there, however Danny actually got his arse in gear and did something about it.

That's awesome. Always bet on O'dwyer.

tumblr_ne2srkGBfX1qg02deo1_400.gif

I've been with Giant Bomb since day one (WordPress blog...). I've been following the guys since the GameSpot days, beginning at some point in 2004. Was a HotSpot listener almost from the beginning (still remember my first HotSpot episode; the one after 2005's G.A.M.E.). Freelanced for Screened for two years, one with Whiskey, one with BermanBraun. Rorie and Alex are awesome guys.

Crazy to think I've been following these guys for 10+ years... memories and feels. They're awesome people.

Good shit.

Tubobutts

I'm also one of those people who started going to Giant Bomb when 1up died. I can't remember what the first video I saw was, but I'm pretty sure they were towards the end of the P4 endurance run when I got there.

Also my second gunpla is supposed to arrive tomorrow

Wow, looking it up, I've been going to Giantbomb.com for more than six years.

I remember looking at dope PS2, Xbox, and GCN screenshots on GameSpot (randomly remember the Armed and Dangerous and Stuntman screenshots blowing my mind as they slowly loaded on my PC) and then the whole Kane and Lynch ordeal going down, which was crazy. Then I transition over to GB within the first few months but didn't really get active in the community until recently, as in the last 3-4 years. Jeff and crew have been my go to gaming people for the last 12+ years.

Anjin M

I never followed GameSpot, so the first time I heard of Jeff was the Penny Arcade comic about his firing. But I didn't really know anything about Giant Bomb until I got big into podcasts in 2009. I started listening to Idle Thumbs and Gamers With Jobs and that led me to the Bombcast. According to the site, I didn't join Giant Bomb until April 9, 2010. Just in time for the first move and the start of premium subscriptions.

I found my way to NeoGAF due to the accumulation of mentions by the duders. I lurked a while until I decided to register so that I could post in these Giant Bomb threads.

I started listening to the Bombcast in 2012 when I got into podcasts due to some shit that was going on. Took a while before I moved on to their video content, first I started watching their videos on Youtube and then I apparently bought my first subscription in July 2013. Looks like I joined the site a couple of months before that.

chrixter

TIME named Giant Bomb one of the 50 best websites back in 2011 or something and that's how I discovered the site. I had known of the crew from visiting GameSpot for years but didn't follow them closely.

I too was a huge Gamespot fan, but fell of video games in general just after Jeff got fired. It wasn't until my friend and I were talking about video games and getting a PS3 to play MGS4 in early 2009. My friend shared a link to a video review by BRAD FUCKING SHOEMAKER and thus my love for video games and the industry returned.

Quentyn

The first GB videos I watched was the mini series they did for the Star Trek Online Beta back in early 2010. Then I watched both Deadly Premonition Endurance Runs and went back to the Persona 4 ER. Started listening to the podcast and watching all the other content shortly after that.

Wunder

I joined the site on 2009-05-15, I'm not really sure how I heard of it but I remember listening to the first episode of Arrow Pointing Down and the introduction of Vinny and Brad into the site. I guess it must've been twitter or that Penny Arcade Comic? I can't think of anything else - I definitely wasn't into Gamespot as some other people were, I just watched On the Spot sparingly.

AcridMeat

Banned
With how much history there is now, I wonder if we will ever see a documentary on the whole OG Gamespot era / 8.8 / K&L / Mass staff departure / GB start to present. Maybe that would be cool as a 2018 anniversary thing.

Anyone a filmmaker who wants to do a hot collabo?

Nero18

Barely knew who Jeff was until he got fired and started showing up a lot on Bonus Round (GT). Remember looking for a podcast to have running in the background and Jeff/Giant Bomb just came to mind. Listened to an episode and really didnt like it, "why are all these guys yelling st each other?". But eventually came back to give them a second shot and once i recognized the different voices it got much easier to enjoy their content.

To this day the bombcast is one of two podcasts ive been listening to for years without getting bored of them. Figured that would happen eventually but nope. Not yet.

With how much history there is now, I wonder if we will ever see a documentary on the whole OG Gamespot era / 8.8 / K&L / Mass staff departure / GB start to present. Maybe that would be cool as a 2018 anniversary thing.

Anyone a filmmaker who wants to do a hot collabo?

I always hope that one day Jeff would write a book about his experience in the industry. I bet there are some cool ass stories to share.

I too was a huge Gamespot fan, but fell of video games in general just after Jeff got fired. It wasn't until my friend and I were talking about video games and getting a PS3 to play MGS4 in early 2009. My friend shared a link to a video review by BRAD FUCKING SHOEMAKER and thus my love for video games and the industry returned.

lol, you reminded me of Jeff's 50 cent blood on the sand review. YO FIFTY!

strafer

Im crying at the thought of people joining after Ryan passed. They will never know what is was like having Ryan appear and brighten the place up.

Jintor

Im crying at the thought of people joining after Ryan passed. They will never know what is was like having Ryan appear and brighten the place up.

still miss the big lug.

least we got like a couple thousand hours of video/audio content of him

Bowlie

Banned
Im crying at the thought of people joining after Ryan passed. They will never know what thats was like. :(

Now I remember! It was after that happened that my local podcasters started talking about Giant Bomb and Ryan at every opportunity. When I saw one of them wearing a shirt saying "Fuck Ryan Davis" I asked myself: "who is this Ryan? Maybe I should check it out"

So that must mean I joined the community in July, August 2013? Pretty new compared to most of you.

Zaph

Now I remember! It was after that happened that my local podcasters started talking about Giant Bomb and Ryan at every opportunity. When I saw one of them wearing a shirt saying "Fuck Ryan Davis" I asked myself: "who is this Ryan? Maybe I should check it out"

Pfft... I see you don't read The New Yorker

Jintor

Using Best of Giant Bomb as a rough metric, it must've been sometime in 2011/10 since I recognise a few of those qls as being apart from the Best Of format

Man I used to love watching On The Spot on Gamespot. Must be nearly a decade ago. Rich Gallup as the host, and Greg Kasavin, Jeff Gerstmann, ...

Fucking good times. I'm glad that Giant Bomb can still give me the same feeling when I watch their videos (especially UPF, since it's also just a couple of guys sitting on a couch, playing and talking about videogames). Definitely reminds me of On The Spot.

NeoGAF is great as well. Especially this thread. I don't post very often but I read this thread every goddamn day.

Anyway, much love!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom