• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #19 | Patrick Wins 2-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tubobutts

I really liked the live Mario Party Party, but I hope they don't make all the remaining ones live events. I like the misery of a studio Mario Party Party every once in a while.

Zha723D.gif

Patryn

Mmm we must be about due for another Mario Party Party.

They need to get the studio finished setting up.

Danny mentioned last night on Twitter that Gamespot won't have theirs ready until February.

Guessing it'll be a lot of PC-heavy UPFs for the rest of the month.

danm999

Danny mentioned last night on Twitter that Gamespot won't have theirs ready until February.

I'm just glad there's a UPF again.

I don't think that Gamespot was immediately focused on getting their studio built so GB is going to be ahead of them as they started immediately.

Patryn

I don't think that Gamespot was immediately focused on getting their studio built so GB is going to be ahead of them as they started immediately.

The counter to that is that GB is trying to use their studio in addition to setting it up, while Gamespot is kind of on a studio hiatus while they're setting up.

So Drew and Jason are doing regular work in addition to the setting up process, which could take longer.

Honestly, though, the only real impact to us appears to be that they're extremely limited in what they can use on live shows, hence my PC-heavy comment.

Xater

Gamespot was on a slower schedule than GB. Their need to get the studio done wasn't as pressing.

The counter to that is that GB is trying to use their studio in addition to setting it up, while Gamespot is kind of on a studio hiatus while they're setting up.

So Drew and Jason are doing regular work in addition to the setting up process, which could take longer.

Honestly, though, the only real impact to us appears to be that they're extremely limited in what they can use on live shows, hence my PC-heavy comment.
I guess I'm just not expecting them to be that restricted when it comes to what consoles they use, they already had the capacity to stream consoles on the last UPF they did in there.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Finished Soma after they all praised it to heaven and back on the GotY podcasts (I actually managed not to get spoiled by them too). Good game. Didn't care for the monster encounters, they seem unnecessary and were a bit annoying.

Strax

I really liked the live Mario Party Party, but I hope they don't make all the remaining ones live events. I like the misery of a studio Mario Party Party every once in a while.

Zha723D.gif

I liked it but having the crowd there made everbody going in some character mode and turn it up to 110% and I didn't care much for.

danm999

So Mario Party 6 has voice activated mini games, Boo as a playable character and day and night modes.

Great Mario Party, or greatest Mario Party?

Gandie

A rescue mission is a very difficult task in Kerbal. So difficult even, I haven't managed to successfully complete one in 100 hours. Good luck Vinny.

Finished Soma after they all praised it to heaven and back on the GotY podcasts (I actually managed not to get spoiled by them too). Good game. Didn't care for the monster encounters, they seem unnecessary and were a bit annoying.
Yeah I played that over the weekend, there's way too many annoying things (big and small) to make it one of my top games but I'm glad I played it.
A rescue mission is a very difficult task in Kerbal. So difficult even, I haven't managed to successfully complete one in 100 hours. Good luck Vinny.

Yeah but I bet you're not a natural talent like Vinny

danm999

Who is to say that those Kerbals in orbit aren't happy and it isn't everyone else on Kerbin Vinny needs to rescue one rocket at a time?

Jintor

I think it's impossible to overstate how much the Previously on and next time on make me hunger for the next project beast

Lijik

Zha723D.gif

I think the last one should be live partially to have a proper finale, but also because the car-based Mario Partys arent as interesting to watch and need some punching up.

Thats assuming they get to Mario Party 10 before 11 comes out

Dizzy-4U

So Mario Party 6 has voice activated mini games, Boo as a playable character and day and night modes.

Great Mario Party, or greatest Mario Party?
The thing with the microphone is that you have to press a button on it to talk to the game. This leads to situations where the player holding the mic can be a total douchebag and shout things without pressing the button and the other players wouldn't know if the game will react to it or not.

What makes it so difficult? Serious question.

It's hard enough to hit a planet, when all you're really doing is aiming at the general vicinity and hoping gravity does the rest

if you're doing a rendezvous, you're aiming for a tiny, moving object, without the benefit of that gravity. if anything, you're fighting whatever body you're orbiting's influences, managing your fuel (smart thing to do in that situation is to use an electric engine and solar panels), etc

I've docked with an orbiting ship, but it took literal real-world hours to do

danm999

The thing with the microphone is that you have to press a button on it to talk to the game. This leads to situations where the player holding the mic can be a total douchebag and shout things without pressing the button and the other players wouldn't know if the game will react to it or not.

Oh no. And Dan has been known to read this thread!

Largo

Man, these origin stories got me thinking, 'cause I jumped in late. I want to say I was following some random search string and ended up on one of their E3 after hours interviews, maybe Jonathan Blow and Cliff Bleszinski? I'd heard of them from GAF, hadn't given it much thought. Must have been late 2013. Either way I lost my mind since game developers didn't ever talk like that, much less the people who interviewed them. So I went back and watched and watched and watched and here we are.

Gandie

What makes it so difficult? Serious question.

You have to match orbital inclination, match the speed and then actually catch up to your target without messing up your orbit.

Even if you get close to your target, if you don't have the same speed you're never gonna be able to transfer the Kerbal. If you reduce/increase your speed your orbit will change and you'll never see your target again.

Check out Scott Manley's tutorial From an older version of the game. Aerodynamics are much more important in the current version.

It's hard enough to hit a planet, when all you're really doing is aiming at the general vicinity and hoping gravity does the rest

if you're doing a rendezvous, you're aiming for a tiny, moving object, without the benefit of that gravity. if anything, you're fighting whatever body you're orbiting's influences, managing your fuel (smart thing to do in that situation is to use an electric engine and solar panels), etc

I've docked with an orbiting ship, but it took literal real-world hours to do

I really need to play Kerbal sometime soon.

Gandie

Yeah but I bet you're not a natural talent like Vinny

He's actually doing great. I don't know how much he played at home, but landing on the Mun in so few hours is something I didn't manage. I still think landing on Minmus would be way way easier than attempting a rendezvous.

Check out Scott Manley's tutorial From an older version of the game. Aerodynamics are much more important in the current version.

and also keep in mind that Manley is possibly the best "clean"/technical KSP streamer out there, nothing you do will ever go as smoothly as he makes it look

He's actually doing great. I don't know how much he played at home, but landing on the Mun in so few hours is something I didn't manage. I still think landing on Minmus would be way way easier than attempting a rendezvous.

the only thing that makes Minmus harder than Mun is the amount of fuel and smaller transfer window. which, given Vinny's fuel problems and shitty orbits, would be a tall order, but still orders of magnitude easier than a rendezvous

Gandie

the only thing that makes Minmus harder than Mun is the amount of fuel and smaller transfer window. which, given Vinny's fuel problems and shitty orbits, would be a tall order, but still orders of magnitude easier than a rendezvous

They should bring a rover to Minmus, not easy, but doable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom