• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTA VI should only run at 30fps on PS5 Pro, says Digital Foundry

Tarnpanzer

Wouldnt the biggest bottleneck be the CPU and RAM size?
We will still only get a Zen 2 ( no 3D Cache etc.) and are still on 16 RAM for everything.

Yes, and that is the reason GTA6 will only run @30-40fps on PS5 Pro. PSS Pros weak CPU is not good enough to handle this massive open world with high NPC density at 60fps.

MMaRsu

Ah yes "experts" saying things

If Rockstar wants to put a 60 fps mode in GTA6, it will have one. Even on base PS5
And they dont want to

They want to sell 30fps version on PS5 / Xbox Series X
They want to sell 60fps version on PC
They will want to sell a 60fps version for PS6 / Xbox 1080

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
And they dont want to

They want to sell 30fps version on PS5 / Xbox Series X
They want to sell 60fps version on PC
They will want to sell a 60fps version for PS6 / Xbox 1080
Now this I would subscribe to. Knowing Zelnick's sleazy ways.

Codeblew

Just basing it on what the CNET guy said in the article the pics were posted. He said 80 inch tv. 🤷

Plus the tv stand is pretty low so I don't understand why you'd think it wouldn't be 80 inches? I have an 80 inch at home with the stand higher than that and I reach to the top of it just standing next to it. And Cerny is taller than the other guy soooo....I think it's 80 inch.
I assume you got that picture from the CNET article. If you look two pictures down, that is the 80 inch TV. Also at 4:20 in the video. I think some of the camera angles/perspectives are making the TV's look smaller than they really are though.

Vroadstar

I won't put much stock into what DF says, the only ones who knows about gta6 performance are the devs. DF, will knowledgeable, have no way of knowing how gta6 is going to perform.

As a proof, I present you this gem from before ps5's launch wherein they were saying how Spiderman 2018 on ps5 is unlikely to have 60fps, and how 60fps is going to be a dream for next gen consoles.

Exactly! and Oh, look who’s back! The usual suspects, clinging to every last shred of hope and dream for DF’s grand proclamation. 🙄

Fox Pivot GIF by Proven Innocent

Preseznik

Neo Member
DF lol.

It could be 30fps but they are just doing their thing here. They have no special insight.
You don't need special insight to know what that CPU is capable of, though.
GTA6 being 30 fps across the board is a pretty safe bet, honestly.

Especially given their track record of offering 60 fps double dip on next gen.

Codeblew

I am not saying it is going to run at 60 FPS on PS5 Pro since I have no clue. But if it runs at 30 FPS on the PS5 Pro, their highest specced platform on release (that we know of), how is it going to look and run on the Series S?

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I agree that IF it is only 30 on standard PS5 it probably is on Pro as well, due to CPU limitations. But we don't know that. DF don't know that either. Maybe the game will have a 60fps mode on standard PS5, and in that case that mode will look better on Pro.

Barakov

then-whats-even-the-point-v0-3xluqrvhn8od1.jpeg

According to Digital Foundry channel, GTA VI should only run at 30fps on the PS5 Pro, as the new hardware doesn't have what it takes to reach 60fps, requiring a “technological miracle”.

DF says that the fact that the PS5 Pro keeps the same CPU is disappointing, having to leave all the 60fps burden to the GPU and the PSSR upscaling technology. This wouldn't help CPU-limited games that focus heavily on simulation, such as GTA VI and the recently released Warhammer 40K: Space Marine 2.

Source
'EXPERTS'
jqICGcA.jpeg

Yes, and that is the reason GTA6 will only run @30-40fps on PS5 Pro. PSS Pros weak CPU is not good enough to handle this massive open world with high NPC density at 60fps.
One can always lower traffic and NPC density like they did in CP 2077.

I don’t see a reason GTA 6 wouldn’t be able to run at 60 on the Pro unless it is a very single threaded game.

People always bring up Space Marines but forgetting the fact it runs a lot better on XSX with nearly identical CPU, and that should tell us there is still performance left on the table in that game for the PS5.

MMaRsu

Gta 6 is being built around the PS5 and Series X not the ps5pro these guys are really starting to sound like emotional clowns. I predict a 60 fps performance mode on ps5 and series x be it 720p or 900p upscaled to 1080p and a 1440p performance mode on ps5pro upscaled to 4k
Predict based on what? Tales from your ass bro?

One can always lower traffic and NPC density like they did in CP 2077.

I don’t see a reason GTA 6 wouldn’t be able to run at 60 on the Pro unless it is a very single threaded game.

People always bring up Space Marines but forgetting the fact it runs a lot better on XSX with nearly identical CPU, and that should tell us there is still performance left on the table in that game for the PS5.

The reason is the CPU is not good for open world intensive games.

If you dont see a reason your not very critical, sorry.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
So that's why it's the current most important game to bring about performance wise in 2024 to the same ole same ole.

So disingenuous, but not unsurprising.

:messenger_grinning_sweat:

Predict based on what? Tales from your ass bro?

The reason is the CPU is not good for open world intensive games.

If you dont see a reason your not very critical, sorry.
Well at least I believe there will be settings to adjust the density that drives the CPU, not everyone has a 7800x3d.

Fess

the Series S could be indeed something that forces them to have a non-RT fallback for GI.
Which in return could open up the possibility of a 60fps mode on the other systems.

It's hard to tell tho if they'd bother even then. I really don't see Rockstar to be the kind of dev team that actually cares about adding a 60fps mode.

we'll see. It's hard to predict imo.
at this point it's hard to say if even with removing RT if they would free up enough CPU time to push it to 60fps
To sum it all up: We’ll see. Right now we, and especially DF, assume too much. All we’ve seen is a trailer, the game might already run at 60fps on launch consoles for all we know.

Just right on time like like I expected. At least Cerny got it now and will never invite them ever for one of his product. They are shills, employees even according to some, for their billionnaire friends.

Last edited:

TrebleShot

Nonsense it will run at 60,
Not a single game this gen is so CPU dependant that they couldn't patch it on PC or Console to run at 60.
DD2 is getting an update fairly soon to address the CPU issues.
Most games that have CPU issues have been eventually patched. It just takes time and optimisation.

This aint PC land where you just brute force it with a 7800X3D, one of the most disappointing things this gen has been getting a game like Outlaws, firing it up and having to use upscaling to hit 60 because of piss poor optimisation then a week or two later when your half way through they announce A MAJOR PATCH ADDRESSING CPU PERFORMANCE.

My word, what are people arguing about?!

Nearly everyone here expected GTA 6 to be 30fps on base PS5 and Series X. It’s been the general assumption since the first trailer released. Sony says the PS5 Pro was made to being fidelity level visuals to performance mode…basically boosting visuals in games that have 60fps modes. They specifically never said it was meant to enable 60fps modes in games that could only run at 30fps.

Why in the world is this a controversial assumption from DF when it’s perfectly in line with the general consensus about GTA 6 on PS5 and aligns with Cerny’s pitch for the PS5 Pro?

We’ll need to examine why DF brings out the angry insecurity in some here.
I don't follow DF enough to see what bias people are talking about, nor do I really give a shit because it's not significant to me. However, I don't understand why they're being given a hard time for saying what I imagine is more than likely to be true.

Based only on the trailer footage I cannot see GTAVI being a 60fps game on this generation of consoles. It just doesn't seem like it would be feasible on that CPU with everything seemingly to be happening. I'd love to be wrong though and a small part of me wonders if Rockstar could pull what would be a miracle and do it based purely on the fact that they got Red Dead Redemption 2 to run on a PS4 and Xbox One.

Prolly a reason as to why RDR2 didn't get 60FPS patch for current systems either and I doubt it's performance related than it is $ related.

Ah yes "experts" saying things

If Rockstar wants to put a 60 fps mode in GTA6, it will have one. Even on base PS5
Last time a developer talked he said they were targeting 60fps. Not saying it will stay that way but that's the only info we have on this.

He deleted the reply tho.

Of course he did! Duh. That's not a retractation of this statement. He just didn't want to get fired because of his NDA.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
I don't follow DF enough to see what bias people are talking about, nor do I really give a shit because it's not significant to me. However, I don't understand why they're being given a hard time for saying what I imagine is more than likely to be true.

Based only on the trailer footage I cannot see GTAVI being a 60fps game on this generation of consoles. It just doesn't seem like it would be feasible on that CPU with everything seemingly to be happening. I'd love to be wrong though and a small part of me wonders if Rockstar could pull what would be a miracle and do it based purely on the fact that they got Red Dead Redemption 2 to run on a PS4 and Xbox One.
Rdr2 is nowhere as heavy as gta6 is gonna be.

Way higher number of npcs with what seems to be the most advanced animation system ever made, also probably an upgraded ia over rdr2 npcs

Traffic simulation with a lot of cars, people thought sp2 traffic system was impressive, imagine something that is not just a facade of smoke and mirrors where you can actually interact with it.

We already saw some glimpse of incredible physics between the sea simulation or hair simulation, that shit is not free to render (quite the opposite)

Way more possible chaotic moments even just because you have numerous cars that can explode and way more powerfull weapons to create chaos, rdr2 framerate was suffering with just some fire or single explosions, chaos in gta6 is not gonna be that tame, you can bet on it.

Last edited:

HL3.exe

Of course it's gonna be 30.

Maybe the Pro with upscale it to reach 4k, but don't expect the game-logic to run at 60 with all those draw calls, entity counts, physics simulations, DMS systems, draw distance being incredible probably, etc, on those mid range CPU and RAM specs.

The CPU even being the equivalent IPC of an high end CPU from 2014. Good luck with that.

ReBurn

Gold Member
I can't wait until GTA VI launches and we look back upon this thread with a sensible chuckle. Most likely we'll be chuckling at the way we argued over how a game that had probably at least a year of development left would perform on an unreleased mid-gen refresh console that virtually none of us had actually really seen games running on outside of carefully curated marketing exposure. We're going to give each other a hearty pat on the back over that for sure.

PaintTinJr

If the base PS5 is stuck at 30fps for CPU reasons, then the Pro will be stuck at 30fps as well. Will the base PS5 be stuck at 30fps? I have no idea, but Rockstar do like pushing technological boundaries.
It won't be stuck at 30fps at all for CPU reasons. This whole topic could get moved to akira__ akira__ thread from the other day about DF and bias.

The Pro has frame-gen in PSSR, which if not already, will be either a mandatory feature to use in all new games on Pro or a system wide feature by the release of GT6 meaning even if DF's intention to disparage the Pro, damage it sales and its technical merit with their subscribers that bought their cool aid (have OLED Tvs, main on Windows PCs with Steam using a high priced Nvidia card, and can't appreciate games unless they have a 60fps mode) their claim is false and they know that only too well, but would seemingly be following their usual script that lets them eat well.

Last edited:

Zathalus

It won't be stuck at 30fps at all for CPU reasons. This whole topic could get moved to akira__ akira__ thread from the other deay about DF and bias.

The Pro has frame-gen in PSSR, which if not already, will be either a mandatory feature to use in all new games on Pro or a system wide feature by the release of GT6 meaning even if DF's intention to disparage the Pro, damage it sales and its technical merit with their subscribers that bought their cool aid (have OLED Tvs, main on Windows PCs with Steam using a high priced Nvidia card, and can't appreciate games unless they have a 60fps mode) their claim is false and they know that only too well, but would seemingly be following their usual script that lets them eat well.
The base PS5 has access to frame-gen as well. So both the PS5 and Pro could do frame-gen up to 60fps. It won’t look or play particularly great, as frame generation from 30-60 has issue with IQ and latency, but it is possible. We also don’t really know if PSSR comes with its own version of frame generation or if they will simply leverage FSR frame generation on top of PSSR.

Personally I hope there is a stable 60fps non frame gen mode on consoles, as that is where I’ll be playing it first. But I wouldn’t be shocked if there wasn’t.

Top Bottom