• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT| HaloGAF Evolved

Status
Not open for further replies.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Steam box would be a brand certification for PC. It'd likely give consumers and development the knowledge that their PC build is common in the market, providing a good test bed for performance, capabilities (all come with a blue tooth controller for example) and QA. That's it.

Any other crazy negative speculation is silly.

Ramirez

15 times in that doubles game... he looked like Ram on Countdown.

michaelcera.gif

I was playing like a maniac for most of the night last night, gonna be sad to see bleedthrough gone, I really like TU ZB A LOT right now. :(

Some people will defend anything on GAF. Halo Reach framerate running in the teens when zoomed in on many maps? Some people have said they don't notice it and that complainers are being picky. Reach's framerate is smooth as butter according to them. The worst ones are the people that notice it and say that it doesn't matter. Oh, and don't get me started on the people that defend matchmaking because game browsers are too difficult to comprehend and/or use.

I played the game more than anyone on GAF and framerate drops were very, very few in my particular experience (however, I did personally observe a perspective or scenario that can produce a framerate drop on just about any map, even the Anniversary ones). In my opinion, the complaints about it seem to be out of proportion to real instances of the problem, but fixes should be made where feasible (like implementing an alternate version of Asylum/Sanctuary). I don't think I've heard anyone say Reach's framerate was perfect, however I've heard a lot of bombast about how it sucks, which is unfair.

I'd love to get you started on why game browsers would be better for Halo, because I think that is a ludicrous idea. Matchmaking does more than just find games, it provides automatic skill matching and standards for game settings. It takes large numbers of people that want to play the same thing and vigorously and quickly sorts them into matches. People complain about TrueSkill being too loose and guests and the like all the time, and you want to just throw it out the window alogether? People complain about the lists being split between TU/Vanilla and now you want to multiply that problem times 10,000?

Everyone interested in discussing FOV should watch part 1 and part 2 of the lecture to which Computron linked.

Reach uses a 78 degree FOV.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Easy - this is what I wrote in the Halo 4 thread:

The fact that there hasn't been any leaks... means the Halo 4 info isn't impressive enough for some minor game journalist to risk his reputation for short term popularity and website / twitter traffic.

Halo 4 disappointing confirmed.
lol

By that thought there should have been no Morello leaks.

Bit off topic, but I know this will affect a few people in here, someone on the ME3 thread mentioned that it leaked. Not sure what exactly he meant, but probably best to avoid anything that looks like a spoiler.

Apparently the entirety of ME3 involves Shepard simply hunting down the Chief, Mass Effect 3 ends with Shepard begging him to save the world. We then get to finish the fight on Halo 4. That also explains who the main enemy is going to be in Halo 4 (reapers). Seems like a pretty cool crossover.[/fakespoiler]

Homeboyd

Out of town this weekend.. So I check in about once or twice a day. Hard to keep up... And nothing has even dropped yet. Need to see that 343 vid. DAT H4 OST!

FyreWulff

Really do have to give you guys credit on being leak free. Bungie had major leaks with Destiny and Reach but you guys went strong for quite a few months.

(Though the leaks were not really Bungie's fault)

Previous leaks came from external Microsoft events and locations. Nobody, to my recollection, has snuck anything out of Bungie's Kirkland (343's current home) or current offices. The Halo Wars devs weren't even able to see Halo 3 non-trailer assets until the game had come out. That's how secretive Bungie is.

I don't consider either Halo 4 or Destiny 'leaked' at this point.

Yeah, the only thing close to a Destiny leak is when that contractor told Kotaku Australia the name "Destiny". Nobody really believed that anyways, until Hitmonchan found the trademark filing.

The t-shirt stuff was intentional (or at least expected). I guess you could say they weren't expecting the Podophobia filings to be found, but they intentionally made it public info so I wouldn't really call that a leak.

CyReN

luck so far. Touch wood.

Some could say Bungie doesn't use their own armor lock with information...

yeahhh.jpg

--------

Someone at MLG forums pointed out that Kynan Pearson (Lead Multiplayer Level Designer) worked on Metroid series and Donkey Kong. Metroid has really good level/map design, looking good so far.

wwm0nkey

Yeah, the only thing close to a Destiny leak is when that contractor told Kotaku Australia the name "Destiny". Nobody really believed that anyways, until Hitmonchan found the trademark filing.

The t-shirt stuff was intentional (or at least expected). I guess you could say they weren't expecting the Podophobia filings to be found, but they intentionally made it public info so I wouldn't really call that a leak.

Info on the game was still leaked, we were and are still not meant to know the title of the game or that it is a semi-MMO. That still counts as leaked info, granted its not Megaton level leaked info.

Info on the game was still leaked, we were and are still not meant to know the title of the game or that it is a semi-MMO. That still counts as leaked info, granted its not Megaton level leaked info.

*shrug* The Destiny trademark was filed back in 2009, the ODST easter egg was around since 2009 as well. I wouldn't really call the name a leak, I just see it as calling attention to information already released (albeit quietly).

I guess providing the code name "Tiger" and saying it "mixes FPS elements into an MMO with a Sci-Fi setting" count, but those are vague enough to me that I wouldn't call them leaks. Semantics.

kylej

Banned
f99d8e74e4c7f8fed17dfa8ca200ccc43bfb3829.png

300+ folk working on zie holoz.

Reminder that Skyrim had 100 people on the dev team. Reminder that they had 3 years. I'd assume H4 has been cooking for at least 2 years.

Reminder that if we get 2 decent multiplayer maps and another 3 hour long campaign I'm gonna jump out a window.

wwm0nkey

*shrug* The Destiny trademark was filed back in 2009, the ODST easter egg was around since 2009 as well. I wouldn't really call the name a leak, I just see it as calling attention to information already released (albeit quietly).

I guess providing the code name "Tiger" and saying it "mixes FPS elements into an MMO with a Sci-Fi setting" count, but those are vague enough to me that I wouldn't call them leaks. Semantics.

Yes but that trademark was hidden ;P

Its whatever really 343i can be happy that they have suffered from zero leaks (besides the few hours before the MS conference)

CyReN

Reminder that Skyrim had 100 people on the dev team. Reminder that they had 3 years. I'd assume H4 has been cooking for at least 2 years.

Reminder that if we get 2 decent multiplayer maps and another 3 hour long campaign I'm gonna jump out a window.

Reach had 2 decent multiplayer maps before CEA?

I'm just hoping there a option to turn on and off aim acceleration or just remove it, was a decent size issue for players in Halo 3/Reach.

feel

For me it's Countdown and Ivory Tower nostalgia trip.

I don't even enjoy Countdown that much though.

On the topic of aim acceleration, Halo 1 and 2 had some to make them controllable on dual sticks no? Whatever amount they had is what I want in Halo 4.

I was thinking Powerhouse and Countdown.

I would say that Powerhouse and Countdown are the two solid disc maps, despite Countdown's pretty poor choice of power weapons.

I've love an aim acceleration option, but I just don't see getting one on a console game. Hopefully they have it tuned down considerably to begin with.

FyreWulff

Power rankings:

Powerhouse
Countdown
Zealot
Boneyard
Paradiso
Spire
Sword Base
Boardwalk

Boardwalk's on the bottom since it's used more in Slayer than Objective even though it's an asymmetric objective map. I don't feel any of them are stinkers, like Halo 3's Isolation, Halo 2's Burial Mounds and Foundation, and Halo 1's Boarding Action and Longest. Spire is at least used heavily in the gametype it's intended for, Invasion and works well in Slayer. Boardwalk isn't too great at Slayer (much like Headlong). Which is a shame since it's a more infantry-friendly Relic (which was also bad at Slayer).

Sword Base and Powerhouse... I like Boardwalk too. As much as you guys trash Reach's maps I don't think they're any worse than H3's midsize stuff. Sure there's the Pit but there's also Isolation, Epitaph, Construct (being good in MLG doesn't change anything), Foundry... Yuck. Amazing how they got it good one game and so badly in the next two.

I think it's a bit hard to judge a game for it's maps until the next one is out. You don't know what's a classic until you miss it's play or components of the map when they're gone in the next version.

Kuroyume

Banned
Sword Base and Powerhouse... I like Boardwalk too. As much as you guys trash Reach's maps I don't think they're any worse than H3's midsize stuff. Sure there's the Pit but there's also Isolation, Epitaph, Construct (being good in MLG doesn't change anything), Foundry... Yuck. Amazing how they got it good one game and so badly in the next two.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
And the Shotgun.

My Countdown Sword/Shotgun experience goes something like this:
Sword, there it is, shining like a beacon on the bridge. I sprint like a gazelle to grab it as DMR shots whizz uselessly by. Now I am a golden glowing god for a minute or two.

Shotgun, I dashed into the lift chamber because everyone forgot about it. Now I have it. Up we go. Wheeee! BLAM BLAM BLAM NADE teamshot dead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom