• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT10| Ultimate Infuriation

Heropon

It feels like more than half of the decks in ranked have Patches. Maybe it was just coincidence because I didn't see any priests for some reason, maybe it's for the best (?)

hollomat

Banned
Got Moroes in my latest arena draft. I love that card in arena. I think it’s one of the most underrated arena cards out there.

TankUP

this really hurts

CvfQnjy.png

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
I decided to build a dumb hobgoblin druid deck in Wild. It is silly and probably unoptimized, but it won me five games in a row, lol.

### HoboDruid
# Class: Druid
# Format: Wild
#
# 2x (0) Murloc Tinyfin
# 2x (0) Snowflipper Penguin
# 2x (0) Wisp
# 2x (1) Argent Squire
# 2x (1) Bloodsail Corsair
# 2x (1) Fire Fly
# 2x (1) Living Roots
# 1x (1) Patches the Pirate
# 2x (2) Druid of the Swarm
# 2x (2) Echoing Ooze
# 1x (3) Crypt Lord
# 2x (3) Hobgoblin
# 2x (3) Savage Roar
# 2x (3) Stonehill Defender
# 2x (4) Jeeves
# 2x (5) Living Mana
#
AAEBAZICApG8ApHQAg6zAeYF9QXlB8IOjhCYEOgVt2yGwQKbwgLrwgLiygKbzQIA
#
# To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and create a new deck in Hearthstone

What happened to Lich King, only ever see him when going up against big priest these days.

Army of the Dead is the worst and it's what I get the most
Like I said when the set launched, TLK is a mediocre card. Frostmourne is game-winning, as is Anti-Magic Shell, and the rest of the cards are highly situational or mediocre. It's not a good bet for 8 mana. I wish they would bring his upper cards down a bit and improve the lower ones. Like make non-minions from Army of the Dead shuffle back into your deck. That's a game-losing card in a lot of situations. I actually don't think I've ever seen it do work.

I decided to build a dumb hobgoblin druid deck in Wild. It is silly and probably unoptimized, but it won me five games in a row, lol.

### HoboDruid
# Class: Druid
#
# 2x (0) Murloc Tinyfin
# 2x (0) Snowflipper Penguin
# 2x (0) Wisp
# 2x (1) Argent Squire
# 2x (1) Bloodsail Corsair
# 2x (1) Fire Fly
# 2x (1) Living Roots
# 2x (2) Druid of the Swarm
# 2x (2) Echoing Ooze
# 1x (3) Crypt Lord
# 2x (3) Hobgoblin
# 2x (3) Savage Roar
# 2x (3) Stonehill Defender
# 2x (4) Jeeves
# 2x (5) Living Mana
#
AAEBAZICApG8ApHQAg6zAeYF9QXlB8IOjhCYEOgVt2yGwQKbwgLrwgLiygKbzQIA
#
# To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and create a new deck in Hearthstone
I wonder if this deck might like Soul of the Forest over something else, since you can insta-populate your board with the 0-drops.

I played a weird Egg Druid today who had Moonfires and Thalnos in his deck. I don't understand.

ZealousD

I wonder if this deck might like Soul of the Forest over something else, since you can insta-populate your board with the 0-drops.

I played a weird Egg Druid today who had Moonfires and Thalnos in his deck. I don't understand.

The Crypt Lord and the Stonehills seemed a little ambitious. I wasn't holding Hoggoblin until Turn 6 very often. Soul of the Forest might be an okay inclusion but it would be used in probably much the same way it's used in Egg Druid today. Usually you don't want to dump the 0-drops until during or after your hobgoblin turn.

The Crypt Lord and the Stonehills seemed a little ambitious. I wasn't holding Hoggoblin until Turn 6 very often. Soul of the Forest might be an okay inclusion but it would be used in probably much the same way it's used in Egg Druid today. Usually you don't want to dump the 0-drops until during or after your hobgoblin turn.
Oh sure, but I just meant that with the 0-drop dump + Hobgoblin you have a great situation to secure your board with Soul of the Forest.

I liked Annoy-o-tron a lot with my Hobgoblin Egg Druid, but in the end I felt like it fell flat whenever I didn't draw Hobgoblin, and it took too long to become a threat against Wild decks. It was a lot of fun, though, and I don't regret crafting those Hobgoblins.

I liked it so much after that Brawl I crafted it.

How is it doing for you?

I got a call of the wild, made me feel nostalgic.
I forgot about this card until I left a Naga alive in Wild and my opponent played 2x Call of the Wild on his next turn. -_-

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
How is it doing for you?

With the deck I made having the DK in the last 10 or so cards is pretty bad. It's not very elemental heavy just lots of removal and stuff. I don't have a Pyros but if I did I'm not sure I'd even run it here since Potion of Madness is dumb. The life gain is great but I'm not sure how well it will do if Ice Block gets rotated out. The constant stream of things that can freeze can be pretty oppressive.

It also lost to Bear Shark so it's probably actually terrible.

Grief.exe

Playing Hearthstone has me looking at getting into Magic again and hitting up some Friday Night Magic at local stores.

There's actually some cheap competitive decks to mess around with too.

Fewr

When should we expect the valve card game to announce more details? Is a mid-2018 release realistic? Any well known designers in charge of the project?

EDIT:Just checked the Reddit, no news at all. I did find out it will be more complicated than Hearthstone.

Fewr

Opened a 60 pack bundle + 2 arena KFT packs, this is what I got:
- Onyxia (golden)
- Millhouse Manastorm
- Hogger
- Alexstrasza
---------
- Blood-Queen Lana'thel

Great!

TankUP

They announced the next ranked reward cardback:

SAUPWODR1P5L1506548735500.png

Guess it's halloween themed. I really wish I had the OG halloween cardback but I started two months too late.

Hearthstone_Screenshot_10-01-17_06.54.20.png

Got a golden pyroblast in my chest, which I forgot to screenshot. Took this screenshot because it's the only thing I have to commemorate my personal best season.

Retiring from ladder since I've been trying since January and this is the best I've been able to do. Not even sure I'll bother going to 5 anymore. I left all the hearthstone discords (except the Gaf one) and unsubbed from all the HS streamers I was supporting.

There's only two ranks -- legend and nonlegend -- and I'll never be the former so it's time to move on.

I'll still follow and play HS casually so you'll still see me around, but feel free to rank shame me if you ever disagree with my opinion since I've proven I'm garbage at the game.

Miletius

Guess it's halloween themed. I really wish I had the OG halloween cardback but I started two months too late.

Got a golden pyroblast in my chest, which I forgot to screenshot. Took this screenshot because it's the only thing I have to commemorate my personal best season.

Retiring from ladder since I've been trying since January and this is the best I've been able to do. Not even sure I'll bother going to 5 anymore. I left all the hearthstone discords (except the Gaf one) and unsubbed from all the HS streamers I was supporting.

There's only two ranks -- legend and nonlegend -- and I'll never be the former so it's time to move on.

I'll still follow and play HS casually so you'll still see me around, but feel free to rank shame me if you ever disagree with my opinion since I've proven I'm garbage at the game.

Don't feel bad man, and don't give up the dream. I have somewhat of the same problem too. I've been playing far longer than you have and have never made legend even once -- and I should have been able to this season.

For me, it has always been the issue that I excuse it by having something else to do. I have an exam on Monday, so I decided not to play this weekend. Truthfully, however, that always just ends up being an excuse -- it's the same thing month after month, always too busy to find time to make the push, even though I know that if I concentrated, played the best decks, I'd be legend.

There are plenty of people in your shoes, so don't give up. You're probably one of the more insightful posters on here and I'd hate to see you go. But, do what you gotta do, there is no shame in taking a step back for a while, doing dailies, and just getting to R15 or 10 until you have a month where you're ready to make the push again.

I actually lost my voice a couple of days ago because I was one win away from making Legend and I lost to a fucking Big Priest that had 3 life left. I rushed his ass down and he played Barnes and got Ysera....I was fine with that and still attacked his face. Shadow Essence got him Y'shaarj and I was like "Just don't pull obsidian statue, just don't pull Obsidian statue and I win" of course it's fucking Obsidian Statue and from there I lose. I don't think I've ever screamed and raged at a game so much, not even all the fighting games I play. I had to stop playing.

Dahbomb

TankUP you from not being able to get rank 10, to getting rank 10... then you went from not being able to get rank 5 to getting rank 5, then you went all the way to rank 1.

You can make Legend. Don't give up so easily. You have done the hardest part, now just tap it in for the finish.

I just hit legend for my first time last month, Levi. It'll happen for you. You just have to grind a LOT. It's a very frustrating and time-consuming. Don't take it as any kind of sign against yourself. If you can hit rank 1, you can hit legend.

manhack

Whenever I tried to hit Legend I hit rank 1 multiple times and was promptly knocked down to Rank 3 and even worse multiple times. Before rank floors I went from Rank 2 to Rank 8 one time on the Legend grind. It was a nightmare.

The main thing was to keep plugging away. Once you can hit rank 1 it really is a matter of playing more games. Especially so since you were playing in the final hours or the last day, you just didn't have enough time to deal with the natural variance of the grind.

I definitely agree with taking a break, but am confident you can make it to Legend.

G.ZZZ

Legend is a matter of recognizing the right deck for the metagame and grinding like a madman.

In other words, i hate raza priest in wild with a passion. I'm playing a mill lock which should be favored but it's still a total crapshoot of being either able to rat their raza T4, or milling either it or andooin. And the worst thing is that games always get to fatigue ZZZ

Heropon

I finally got my first golden hero! I liked Shaman before they became OP but I must admit that the year of the Kraken helped a lot in increasing the amount of victories.

In comparison the other classes are really far from becoming golden and shiny:

(Number of victories)
Mage 291
Priest 277
Paladin 206
Hunter 182
Warrior 164
Rogue 146
Warlock 122
Druid 82

Fewr

Hey TankUP, take a break but please don't leave HS GAF. You're a core part of the community with interesting things to say and posts like this that seem to get unnoticed but I (we) do enjoy those a lot.

TankUP you from not being able to get rank 10, to getting rank 10... then you went from not being able to get rank 5 to getting rank 5, then you went all the way to rank 1.

You can make Legend. Don't give up so easily. You have done the hardest part, now just tap it in for the finish.

I wish I had the talent to superimpose Dahbomb onto Kevin Nealon and TankUP onto Adam Sandler in this scene, haha.

https://youtu.be/8qaAKxJp0EM?t=1m20s

Hey TankUP, take a break but please don't leave HS GAF. You're a core part of the community with interesting things to say and posts like this that seem to get unnoticed but I (we) do enjoy those a lot.
I also agree with this. <3 you, TankUP!

ZealousD

It's time again, boys and girls! Time for me to straight up steal Magic cards.

L4vx4HT.jpg

NMbD9v3.png

So in the newest Magic set, Ixalan, Carnage Tyrant is currently the most expensive card and the most sought after "Mythic" (think Legendary) of the set.

Now, I had the do several things to properly move its power into Hearthstone and that meant changing the card in several ways.

1.) Removing Trample. In Magic, Trample means that whenever you trade with a minion on board, any leftover damage goes to your opponent's face. This is important in Magic because damn near everything can block and so if you have 1/1 tokens blocking big giant stuff all the time, nobody would play big stuff. In most cases when looking at a Magic card with Trample, I would simply remove it altogether when moving it to Hearthstone.
2.) Hexproof vs "Can't be targeted by spells or hero powers". The Faerie Dragon/Bearshark effect is the closest thing to Hexproof in Hearthstone. Hexproof is basically the same effect except you can target your own creatures. So in Magic, you could buff Carnage Tyrant with spells if you wanted to, and Green likes to do that a lot. So it loses that bonus but I don't think it's a huge loss in this case since the classes in Hearthstone that might want something like this (Hunter or Druid) don't buff their stuff very often anyway. Plus you could still slap a Bonemare on him if you wanted.
3.) "Can't be countered". This is pretty Magic specific. It protects it from certain types of instants your opponent could play whenever it tries to hit the board, but that's not a huge concern in Hearthstone (closest thing would be dying to Sacred Trial or Snipe) so I just removed it.
4.) 7hp not 6hp. I'm learning that most things in Magic actually seem to have less health than they would in Hearthstone. A vanilla 2 mana creature in Magic is a "Grizzly Bear" with 2/2 stats. Stuff like 2 mana 2/3's or 3/2's with an upside are not common. I think this is mostly because combat damage is not permanent in Magic, so Hearthstone creatures tend to have a bit more health. If I had left the card at a 7/6 I don't think I'd be communicating the card's overstated nature very well since a 6-mana creature with 6 health still dies relatively easy in Hearthstone. Not that impressive. This extra health boost gives it just enough of a boost to put it over the edge into an extremely powerful legendary for Hearthstone.

The end result is a card that looks like a "fixed" version of Tyrantus. A dinosaur with big huge stats that's hard for control decks to kill, but now it comes early enough to actually be a threat without you instantly dying. Toss this in as a near finisher with Bonemare in a MIdrange Hunter deck and wooo boy is that scary.

I think Druid would have also been a viable choice for the card because Green does a lot of Ramp and beast stuff in Magic, but Ramp Druid doesn't have the same stompy feel that Hunter does and I think it's more appropriate that this card be in an archetype that's more aggressive and has more early support.

TankUP

I finally got my first golden hero! I liked Shaman before they became OP but I must admit that the year of the Kraken helped a lot in increasing the amount of victories.

Congrats! I love golden heroes. Working on my last two a little at a time.

I also agree with this. <3 you, TankUP!

There are plenty of people in your shoes, so don't give up. You're probably one of the more insightful posters on here and I'd hate to see you go.

I have no plans to leave the thread, but thank you for your kind words. I'm only quitting try-harding ladder and reducing the amount of time I spend on hearthstone but I'll still play casually and follow the game. I look forward to a new spoiler season and new debates over how bad the warrior cards are and the gloating when I'm inevitably proven right. :D

Maybe when they redo ladder I'll try hard again but I'm never doing this grind again.

It's time again, boys and girls! Time for me to straight up steal Magic cards.

L4vx4HT.jpg

NMbD9v3.png

So in the newest Magic set, Ixalan, Carnage Tyrant is currently the most expensive card and the most sought after "Mythic" (think Legendary) of the set.

Now, I had the do several things to properly move its power into Hearthstone and that meant changing the card in several ways.

1.) Removing Trample. In Magic, Trample means that whenever you trade with a minion on board, any leftover damage goes to your opponent's face. This is important in Magic because damn near everything can block and so if you have 1/1 tokens blocking big giant stuff all the time, nobody would play big stuff. In most cases when looking at a Magic card with Trample, I would simply remove it altogether when moving it to Hearthstone.
2.) Hexproof vs "Can't be targeted by spells or hero powers". The Faerie Dragon/Bearshark effect is the closest thing to Hexproof in Hearthstone. Hexproof is basically the same effect except you can target your own creatures. So in Magic, you could buff Carnage Tyrant with spells if you wanted to, and Green likes to do that a lot. So it loses that bonus but I don't think it's a huge loss in this case since the classes in Hearthstone that might want something like this (Hunter or Druid) don't buff their stuff very often anyway. Plus you could still slap a Bonemare on him if you wanted.
3.) "Can't be countered". This is pretty Magic specific. It protects it from certain types of instants your opponent could play whenever it tries to hit the board, but that's not a huge concern in Hearthstone (closest thing would be dying to Sacred Trial or Snipe) so I just removed it.
4.) 7hp not 6hp. I'm learning that most things in Magic actually seem to have less health than they would in Hearthstone. A vanilla 2 mana creature in Magic is a "Grizzly Bear' with 2/2 stats. Stuff like 2 mana 2/3's or 3/2's with an upside are not common. I think this is mostly because combat damage is not permanent in Magic, so Hearthstone creatures tend to have a bit more health. If I had left the card at a 7/6 I don't think I'd be communicating the card's overstated nature very well since a 6-mana creature with 6 health still dies relatively easy in Hearthstone. Not that impressive. This extra health boost gives it just enough of a boost to put it over the edge into an extremely powerful legendary for Hearthstone.

The end result is a card that looks like a "fixed" version of Tyrantus. A dinosaur with big huge stats that's hard for control decks to kill, but now it comes early enough to actually be a threat without you instantly dying. Toss this in as a near finisher with Bonemare in a MIdrange Hunter deck and wooo boy is that scary.

I think Druid would have also been a viable choice for the card because Green does a lot of Ramp and beast stuff in Magic, but Ramp Druid doesn't have the same stompy feel that Hunter does and I think it's more appropriate that this card be in an archetype that's more aggressive and has more early support.
You can make than you did. Hunter has Knuckles, with the text "whenever you attack a minion, attack the enemy hero" (or something like that) - that's very close to Trample. Hexproof is obviously an easy one to translate, but for "cannot be countered", I would add the text "this card does not trigger enemy secrets", since those are the closest things to counterspells in this game.

I have no plans to leave the thread, but thank you for your kind words. I'm only quitting try-harding ladder and reducing the amount of time I spend on hearthstone but I'll still play casually and follow the game. I look forward to a new spoiler season and new debates over how bad the warrior cards are and the gloating when I'm inevitably proven right. :D

Glad to hear it! I've found that I take losses better when I know the match-ups – and I'm not saying that you don't – and accept when my opponent just has a deck that counters mine. It makes accepting the loss easier, and makes wins even more positive.

That being said, I still get plenty salty at the game. But I think that's pretty natural, as long as things are kept in perspective – ie. don't take things too hard and judge your self-worth on a video game.

ZealousD

You can make than you did. Hunter has Knuckles, with the text "whenever you attack a minion, attack the enemy hero" (or something like that) - that's very close to Trample. Hexproof is obviously an easy one to translate, but for "cannot be countered", I would add the text "this card does not trigger enemy secrets", since those are the closest things to counterspells in this game.

I'm not necessarily trying to bring Magic cards into Hearthstone 1:1 as they are in Magic because they are different games. It's more like I'm using the Magic cards as inspiration for what could be actual Hearthstone cards. The idea is to build cards nearly equal in power and understand the intricacies and differences between the two games.

Trample has a very important role in Magic (it's basically everywhere in Green) while the Knuckles effect just gives you a little bit of extra value to trade with. You don't play with Knuckles in the same way you'd play with a minion with Trample. When you play a minion with Trample, you would still like to go face much of the time while Knuckles says "you should trade with me whenever you can". Even if you brought the Trample mechanic into Hearthstone exactly as it works in Magic, it would serve a different purpose.

"This card does not trigger enemy secrets" is too niche for Hearthstone, nor is it nearly as powerful as the mechanic is in Magic. Again, I think this kind of text is very specific to Magic. And much of the power in that text is translated well into Hearthstone with "can't be targeted by spells or hero powers."

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
### Miracle rogue
# Class: Rogue
#
# 2x (0) Backstab
# 2x (0) Counterfeit Coin
# 2x (0) Preparation
# 2x (1) Cold Blood
# 2x (1) Conceal
# 2x (1) Swashburglar
# 1x (2) Bloodmage Thalnos
# 2x (2) Eviscerate
# 1x (2) Sap
# 1x (3) Edwin VanCleef
# 2x (3) Fan of Knives
# 2x (3) Questing Adventurer
# 2x (4) Tomb Pillager
# 2x (5) Azure Drake
# 1x (5) Leeroy Jenkins
# 1x (5) Loatheb
# 2x (6) Gadgetzan Auctioneer
#
AAEBAYO6AgayAs0DrwTtBfoOkbwCDLQBjAKbBZcGuQaIB6QH3geGCcQWkrYC9bsCAA==
#

Should i swap out the azure drakes for Vilespines? The removal just feels so good, but with two saps maybe it isn't necessary?

### Miracle rogue
# Class: Rogue
#
# 2x (0) Backstab
# 2x (0) Counterfeit Coin
# 2x (0) Preparation
# 2x (1) Cold Blood
# 2x (1) Conceal
# 2x (1) Swashburglar
# 1x (2) Bloodmage Thalnos
# 2x (2) Eviscerate
# 1x (2) Sap
# 1x (3) Edwin VanCleef
# 2x (3) Fan of Knives
# 2x (3) Questing Adventurer
# 2x (4) Tomb Pillager
# 2x (5) Azure Drake
# 1x (5) Leeroy Jenkins
# 1x (5) Loatheb
# 2x (6) Gadgetzan Auctioneer
#
AAEBAYO6AgayAs0DrwTtBfoOkbwCDLQBjAKbBZcGuQaIB6QH3geGCcQWkrYC9bsCAA==
#

Should i swap out the azure drakes for Vilespines? The removal just feels so good, but with two saps maybe it isn't necessary?

I'd probably cut saps first before azure drakes.

Or fan of knives. But saps before fan of knives.

scarlet

At least Statue is good! What am I supposed to do with Treachery? Craft a Doomsayer, I guess. I don't have any.

I'd love to have treachery, but don't wanna craft one. Treachery and howlfiend combo looks fun.

If you feel burn out take a break. And like others said, if you can reach 1, you can get legend sooner or later.

Getting legend for me is knowing the counter for the rank 2-1 meta. Last season I played aggro on rank 2-1 cuz there's a lot of slow deck, and this season I exclusively played priest from rank 5, and luckily it's good against tempo rogue on rank 3-1.

Seriously, if an old man like me who doesn't remember card names, and made a lot of mistakes can do it. Everyone can do it. It's just a matter of time.

edit: IIRC you play both wild and standard, just focus on one.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
Been enjoying ladder again now that, I'm back in low ranked Wild. LOL.

Played a bunch of Demonlock w/ Reno and the DK. That deck is fun regardless of how good the actual meta says it is.

Approaching 500 wins for Mage, Warlock and Warrior. ~480, ~390, and ~350. Mage could get there this season if I get Mage quests enough lol.

TankUP

edit: IIRC you play both wild and standard, just focus on one.

I play wild to do quests and when I'm at the gym and can't give my game 100% focus. The month I got rank 5 on both ladders, the wild climb was accidental and only happened because I pretty much never lost. Razakus is busted in that format. Maybe I should have targeted wild for my legend climb but I wanted to do it in the "real" format.

Heropon

Congrats! I love golden heroes. Working on my last two a little at a time.

Thanks! Hope it goes well.

I'm going to ask here because I don't really know where the usage stats are... When I was grinding the last matches to get golden Shaman almost every opponent was one of four classes: Rogue, Hunter, Priest and Warlock. Have real stats big gaps between those classes, Shaman/Druid and Warrior/Paladin or was it just coincidence?

Edit: I was around rank 15.

Top Bottom