• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT4| The warsong has ended, please patron other decks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tacitus_

I disagree as a aggro player. I don't give two shits about armor smith. I pray he plays armor smith. What I care about is Acolyte of pain card draw denial is how I win. No cards no stupid wombo combo. Haven't lost to a single patron on ladder rank 2 or under pretty much all week with this strategy.

Well I mean, you can't just drop one and hope to win. But when you gain 10+ hp from it and aggro decks run out of cards around turn 6, it's usually game over.

But then again, I've never played to above rank 5 so what do I know ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Ladder is currently ridiculous. I can usually get up to about 10-8. Ive been hovering near 17 all weekend.

Aggro
aggro
aggro
aggro

It's easy to tech against aggro, that's not the problem for me.

The players are just better.

By the way, the meta snapshot is not a snapshot of what you should be playing necessarily, it's also a snapshot of what you could be countering.

Well I mean, you can't just drop one and hope to win. But when you gain 10+ hp from it and aggro decks run out of cards around turn 6, it's usually game over.

But then again, I've never played to above rank 5 so what do I know ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I guess it also depends on how the aggro player is playing. I mean if he's just throwing shit on the board without calculating whirlwind, or the 1 damage to all from the axe then I guess it's smart.

My last two games the Patron threw both armor smith at the same time and I'm like okay whatever. I'm keep on smacking/buffing my guys. He ended up with at least 20+ armor overall but never had control of the board. I used my weapons to clear every other minion not named armor smith. Worked out pretty well. That's what I've been doing lately anyways.

Rank 5 hit! Now do I try to grind out legend, or just enjoy my max reward...

Go for it! I told myself I would sit at 5 but screw that kept playing and now at 2.

God bless top deck owl (I would of won anyways with arcane golem but still the salllllt).

Hto6CC5.png

jgminto

When is the patch coming that adds Rank tracking for the rewards? I'm at my highest rank yet and I don't really want to try getting any further until that's added.

Ketch

Hey everybody. I've played this game pretty casually for awhile, but I've recently been watching some of Trump's arena drafts and it's given me a better understanding of which cards are good and which are bad. I've been able to see myself getting better and I'm finding the game a lot more fun now because of it.

Hopefully I can ask for advice here, I know that the answer is probably just gonna be to copy a deck from a website, but I don't really have that many cards and this is kind of an exercise for me to see if I've actually learned anything.

My favorite class is druid (maybe warlock too) so I decided to make a ramp druid using what I learned from watching Trump's drafts. Here it is:

Can anybody look at that and tell me if there's anything blatantly bad in there? Or maybe some easy adjustments I could make... I don't have that many cards, just naxx stuff, malygos, and jeraxus. also I have like 200 dust or something... just used a bunch to make force of nature.

Like maybe I should only have one claw and two wraths instead? is one wild growth enough or should i have two?

edit: my plan with the deck is to have minimum amount of early game because it's over quickly, and then also have my early game cards be usefull in the mid and late game... .which I think claw and power of the wild are perfect for.

Can anybody look at that and tell me if there's anything blatantly bad in there? Or maybe some easy adjustments I could make... I don't have that many cards, just naxx stuff, malygos, and jeraxus. also I have like 200 dust or something... just used a bunch to make force of nature.

Like maybe I should only have one claw and two wraiths instead? is one wild growth enough or should i have two?

This is just my take on it.
Zombie Chow does the same thing as Claw (deal with early board aggression) but better.

Two Wild Growths are better, since it is probably the strongest card Druid has.

I personally would take out Grove Tender in exchange for another Shade or a Mind Control Tech. Grove Tender is too much of a mixed bag in the current meta.

I'd swap Venture Co Mercenary for a second copy of Druid of the Claw and swap Stormwind Champion for Boulderfist Ogre #2.

Swapping Starfall for Loatheb is a good move if you have it as well.

jgminto

Tuesday probably.
Thanks.
Hey everybody. I've played this game pretty casually for awhile, but I've recently been watching some of Trump's arena drafts and it's given me a better understanding of which cards are good and which are bad. I've been able to see myself getting better and I'm finding the game a lot more fun now because of it.

Hopefully I can ask for advice here, I know that the answer is probably just gonna be to copy a deck from a website, but I don't really have that many cards and this is kind of an exercise for me to see if I've actually learned anything.

My favorite class is druid (maybe warlock too) so I decided to make a ramp druid using what I learned from watching Trump's drafts. Here it is:

Like maybe I should only have one claw and two wraiths instead? is one wild growth enough or should i have two?

Venture Co. Merc probably won't do you any favours as it will likely just ruin your curve
I'd probably put in another Druid of the Claw or Sludge for it
If you have Piloted Shredders, sub that for the Yetis since they more or less outclass them
Another Shade of Naxx might be better than the Grove Tender once you have more card draw, like the Ancient of Lore
Also you'll probably want to add two Keepers of the Grove if you can, they're a staple of Druid decks
A second Wrath is probably also better than a Claw, you could probably remove Claw completely even for Zombie Chow.

Swapping Starfall for Loatheb is a good move if you have it as well.

Oh yeah, that's a good one. Loatheb is an amazing card once you know the right times to play him, such as on Turn 6 against a Mage if you've developed a board.

Ketch

Thanks for the advice guys. adjustments i've made so far:

took out one claw for a zombie chow (thought I had another wrath but don't).
took out 2 chillwind yeti for one mechanical yeti and one piloted shredder (only had one of each)
took out venture co for another druid of the fang

Also you'll probably want to add two Keepers of the Grove if you can, they're a staple of Druid decks

I wonder what you would replace for a keeper? I only have one. maybe instead of the mechanical yeti or piloted shredder i just added?

do you think it's still a good idea to replace starfall with lotheb even though I probably don't know the best times to play it (and also I have like no aoe)?

edit: I'm also surprised that you guys don't like claw so much. I feels like it should be really good. it beats like everything I see on turn one except for chow but the it's like way better in the mid and late then chow right? either way, I'm going with 1 chow 1 claw until I get another wrath anyway.

jgminto

I wonder what you would replace for a keeper? I only have one. maybe instead of the mechanical yeti or piloted shredder i just added?

do you think it's still a good idea to replace starfall with lotheb even though I probably don't know the best times to play it (and also I have like no aoe)?

You could sub out the second Claw for Keeper, it's essentially a utility card so you'd still want some big 4 drops for damage but Keeper can essentially do the same thing as Claw but with the added versatility of Silence when needed.

You already have pretty good removal with Swipe, single target spells and Force of Nature if needed. You'll eventually learn when it's best to drop Loatheb but even before then it's still a pretty powerful effect. Just look for the signs of setting up for burst damage.

edit: I'm also surprised that you guys don't like claw so much. I feels like it should be really good. it beats like everything I see on turn one except for chow but the it's like way better in the mid and late then chow right? either way, I'm going with 1 chow 1 claw until I get another wrath anyway.

The thing is, it's usually better to try and develop your board (or mana pool for Druid) than deal two damage to something so early. And there are usually better ways to deal that damage.

inky

Swipe and Force of Nature is good AoE. Keep the Starfall around if you feel you are making good use of it (As someone who runs it I can certainly see how it can be good, but my deck is centered around spell damage while yours isn't), but with Starfire as well you might find yourself in a position when cards are just sufficient, but don't change the tempo around, which is really what you need them to do. 6 mana 5 damage draw is good value, but too slow for the current state of the game. You want things that challenge the board AND stick around. That's why people recommend Piloted Shredder for example.

People don't like Claw much these days because there are better direct removal options. It's very easy for opponents to disable face (by freezing or taunting) and with so many fast decks around your life total tends to be a more valuable resource, plus having a minion around is always preferable when your strategy isn't built around bolstering your hero power damage. (That's why you'd rather have a 4 minion instead of Bite for instance). It might be the case that with the new Inspire mechanic a card like Claw finds new life, so you never know, but the game is centered around minions and board control, especially for a more late game class like Druid, so having a minion instead will always be the preferred option.

caesar

Banned
I feel no difference in the matchup because I test the traps anyways. I play around both traps. I always make sure to check both and have outs in cause of it's either.

My biggest mistake early on in this match up was playing muster of battle then having him play hound very next turn. So ever since I cut that out of my game I've been winning much more. And make sure I don't get hit with the 5 from kill command.

Personally I get happy as hell when it's a midrange hunter that throws out shredder because I know I've already won. Just ignore the fucker and smack him in the face..

I disagree as a aggro player. I don't give two shits about armor smith. I pray he plays armor smith. What I care about is Acolyte of pain card draw denial is how I win. No cards no stupid wombo combo. Haven't lost to a single patron on ladder rank 2 or under pretty much all week with this strategy.
They must have been bad players because aggro is the patron dream. I pretty much pray for face hunter free wins everytime I queue up.

Kettch

I think my opponent didn't even know what Corruption is.

Opponent plays turn 1 Cleric, I corrupt it, he coin Velens it. It dies.

Possible that he just looked away and didn't notice it too.

Ketch

thanks for the advice guys. I subbed the 2nd claw for the keeper.

now can you teach me how to always have one or two drops show up when I mulligan?

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Ok, sorry guys, it doesn't look like we'l be doing any card review stream tonight. Seems like we can't just get enough people available at the same time.

Squidyj, Opiate, and Dahbomb, I think it might be best that if you're available during the week that you log in to our skype and we can communicate that way. Maybe we can finish them out sometimes during the week, even if it takes two sessions or more.

Magnus

Where are you guys typically watching streams/tournaments? I feel like every time I fire up a popular twitch channel it's offline

Where are you guys typically watching streams/tournaments? I feel like every time I fire up a popular twitch channel it's offline

Just have hearthstone under favourites usually when the number is like 50+K either a tourney is going on or a popular streamer(s) are online.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
50 damage patron

Hunter

Zoo

This game has officially become one of the least fun to rank up with I have ever played, it is a horrible experience playing against people who dont want any competitive games and if you play these decks to rank, your rank means absolutely nothing.

First question i ask peopel who are higher rank is what they play, unsurprisingly everyone says one of the 3 above decks. It is a complete farce of people who are all playing each other using decks that minimise thought.

johnsmith

remember me
Ugh, everything is Warrior tonight on the ladder (rank 2 atm but facing tons of legend players).

4 out of my last 5 games have been warrior.

Owzers

50 damage patron

Hunter

Zoo

This game has officially become one of the least fun to rank up with I have ever played, it is a horrible experience playing against people who dont want any competitive games and if you play these decks to rank, your rank means absolutely nothing.

First question i ask peopel who are higher rank is what they play, unsurprisingly everyone says one of the 3 above decks. It is a complete farce of people who are all playing each other using decks that minimise thought.

Do the developers ever really try to balance things out a little? From what i've looked up it doesn't really seem like they are that invested in it.

Dahbomb

50 damage patron

Hunter

Zoo

Why use decks that maximize thought yet get the same amount of win? If two decks have similar win rates on paper I would much rather use the "dumber" and "faster" deck because it means less chance to mess up and faster rank.climbing.

People will use the best and most efficient deck. Plus Patron deck takes the most thought to use out of most decks out there.

Ultrabum

Patron may be broken, but it is at least complicated and difficult to play correctly.

It's not like face hunter and its way way better than death rattle hunter before undertaker nerf.

Dahbomb

I was facing a ridiculous amount of legendaries at Rank 12 about a week ago. Ranked rewards has really brought everyone out.
Everyone literally getting in here.

This is actually the toughest ladder has ever been. Normally I get to rank 5 just doing dailies for a month but now I am sitting at only rank 7. Though I only play an hour a day so if I played more I would be rank 5 by now.

Kenaras

Like maybe I should only have one claw and two wraths instead? is one wild growth enough or should i have two?

edit: my plan with the deck is to have minimum amount of early game because it's over quickly, and then also have my early game cards be usefull in the mid and late game... .which I think claw and power of the wild are perfect for.

No one else mentioned it, but it's important: Druid has serious problems functioning correctly when you're missing card draw. (Ancient of Lore and/or Nourish.) Innervate and Wild Growth put you at a card disadvantage, and without a way to refill your hand you'll have a tendency to run out of steam in the late game.

Just something to be aware of.

johnsmith

remember me
This is ridiculous, seriously 7 out of my last 10 games have been against warrior.

Might be time to try this control mage deck listed on the tempostorm meta report.

It really pisses me off that one of the classes that's already the best gets the few good TGT cards, when priest get pure shit.

inky

Kripp facing Patron Warrior on stream right now.

Opponent has 2 Frothing's on board plus Warsong, but he attacks with his Death's Bite first, killing one of the Frothing's with the deathrattle effect, which leaves him 1 damage short of lethal.

Kripp kills the Warsong with Truesilver, then Musters (wrong order of play as he kills 1 charge of his TS), then taunts up 2 Recruits which saves him against the remaining Frothing. He also has Alex and 2 Sea Giants on hand. His opponent has an empty hand btw.

Of course, opponent top decks Brawl, uses it, out of 5 minions Frothing survives, Kripp loses.

ESPORTS!

Velcro Fly

Kripp facing Patron Warrior on stream right now.

Opponent has 2 Frothing's on board plus Warsong, but he attacks with his Death's Bite first, killing one of the Frothing's with the deathrattle effect, which leaves him 1 damage short of lethal.

Kripp kills the Warsong with Truesilver, then Musters (wrong order of play as he kills 1 charge of his TS), then taunts up 2 Recruits which saves him against the remaining Frothing. He also has Alex and 2 Sea Giants on hand. His opponent has an empty hand btw.

Of course, opponent top decks Brawl, uses it, out of 5 minions Frothing survives, Kripp loses.

ESPORTS!

BabyRage NEVER LUCKY BabyRage

inky

Kripp playing Freeze Mage is something else. Doesn't he cast pro players who use these decks?

Ice Lance face (no follow up), Fireball minion. Lols.
He might still win because rank 18.Edit: nope, lost. LOL

Velcro Fly

It's hilarious watching him play ranked sometimes

I hope the game slows down enough to let him use some joke decks more often. The Blingtron Warlock is hilarious. It is quite entertaining to watch him play random shit in constructed just for lulz.

Fireblend

Banned
Man, I just can't win a single brawl game with Warlock or Shaman... Pretty tempted to just reroll this quest tomorrow. That 60g is just not worth the frustration.

inky

It's hilarious watching him play ranked sometimes

I hope the game slows down enough to let him use some joke decks more often. The Blingtron Warlock is hilarious. It is quite entertaining to watch him play random shit in constructed just for lulz.

Yea, I love when he does that, and he actually plays better with those decks because he has a clearer idea of what to do with them.

I remember him doing well with a Murloc Warrior, which was hilarious.

50 damage patron

Hunter

Zoo

lol bruh just play patron warrior. I've been hitting 400 legend every month since BRM came out without even trying. why struggle? play the top decks. That's like going oh woe is me i keep betting on cleveland browns every year because they got that grit and integrity...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom