• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT4| The warsong has ended, please patron other decks

Status
Not open for further replies.

FeD.nL

Holy fuck

Frost Giant decreases by 1 even in your deck

Amazing
invoker-gdlk.gif

Yeah damn that was a surprise. Though my spellslinger made a Mind Control for my opponent -.-'

Dahbomb

Seems like Hunter is playing a Control/slow deck and Mage is playing a faster, Inspire deck (not even that fast, just much faster than the Hunter deck).

Opiate

I'm a bit surprised StriceCro is so high on Thunder Bluff Valiant. I'm sure it will be a fine card but the best in TGT? I don't know. I feel like it will be easy for your opponent to deny the value you get from it. Even now it's not uncommon for your opponent to target your totems and with the potential for them to be buffed I just don't see you building up a board of totems and surprising your opponent that often.

Certainly wouldn't mind if he was right though.

He did say "impactful," which might be true. I don't think Quartermaster was the best GvG card, but I think one could argue it's the most impactful, as it puts the fear of God in opponents when you play Muster or even just hero power.

Another comparison would be the combo for Druid: even if you don't have it in hand, people have to play as if you do. The existence of FoN/Savage Roar causes players to play very differently than they otherwise would. Perhaps something like that will happen for Thunder Bluff Valiant.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
inspire seems ridiculous while joust seems weak and inconsistent

Pooya

Joust is just very bad, you lose it you are dead here...

Inspire is actually quite strong here, now in a real game things will be different but if you leave a maiden alive even, you are dead.

Poly Boar, it's great as expected. It's over delivering that value! It can provide some strong swings.

Rhonin, well I could never find the board opportunity in 4 games I drew him to actually play him... it seems unwieldy as expected to me.

Lock and Load is cool but not in this deck they built, it's filled with big garbage drops rather than spells you can actually play along with LnL.

Skeleton Knight, yeah it's trash.

Dahbomb

Problem is that it's Hunter trying to use Joust against a mid range-ish deck. We already established that Joust is better against Aggro and inconsistent against Midrange/control.

Neither of the decks are obviously fine tuned to the maximum. Like the Hunter deck is using Snipe and Skeleton Knight and the Mage deck is using Evil Heckler and Flamelance...

Minsc

Gold Member
Huffer is great when it comes out of animal companion. But if you have to sacrifice a minion, than it is like an overcosted windfury. And Mage, while it has some aggressive decks, isn't really a FACE deck where a card like huffer excels anyway.

If you have 2 Flamewalkers on the board when you play them, a Mirror Image + 2x Polymorph Boar is good for 20 damage (24 with the walkers attacking) at 7 mana. It's not all that uncommon to see flamewalkers going beserk feeding off 3-4 spells a turn and clearing the opponent's board every round.

Edit: With an Apprentice you can pull it off turn 4 too, but getting both flamewalkers on the board that early would be more troublesome.

He did say "impactful," which might be true. I don't think Quartermaster was the best GvG card, but I think one could argue it's the most impactful, as it puts the fear of God in opponents when you play Muster or even just hero power.

Another comparison would be the combo for Druid: even if you don't have it in hand, people have to play as if you do. The existence of FoN/Savage Roar causes players to play very differently than they otherwise would. Perhaps something like that will happen for Thunder Bluff Valiant.

True, although I wonder, would Quartermaster even really be played if Muster for Battle wasn't a thing? That's sort of the best comparison to Valiant as Shaman doesn't have a good way to flood totems on to the board. Granted the buff from Valiant is permanent so it's a little more valuable in that respect but it's just hard to imagine it being as impactful as Quartermaster.

I also feel like, prior to GvG, people were more likely to let a Recruit sit on the board as opposed to something like a Wrath of Air Totem or Healing Totem so I'm not sold on Valiant making totems that much more of a priority kill target than they already were, where as Recruits essentially became public enemy number one after Quartermaster arrived on the scene.

I will certainly be testing out Thunder Bluff Valiant when the expansion drops but I'm just not as high on it as StrifeCro is I suppose. I certainly hope he's right though because it would be great for Shaman if Valiant was that impactful on the game.

Mirimar

Yea, really not feeling the hunter and joust in this brawl. They didn't balance the decks properly. It's typical agro vs very slow control and that plays out in favor of agro 80% of the time. Played 4 matches, 1 as hunter. Destroyed hunter 3 times as mage. The inspire mechanic snowballs out of control if you get early board control. I had one game with 2 Lowly Squires that they couldn't remove and they both got to be 5/2's. Also, Frost Giant is insanely easy to get out just by the tempo gains you get with some inspire.

What can you even mulligan for in the hunter deck to have even a shot at winning against mage in this? The dream for mage is Lowly squire and that 2/1 taunt turn 1 with coin (got it twice).

Dahbomb

The Mage deck isn't even aggro, it's Midrange at best. It's not like the Mage deck is finishing the game before turn 6.

The Hunter just has shitty control cards and thus can't actually contest the board very well... no matter what the Mage throws at him.

The Hunter is like some strange hybrid of Lock no Load spell heavy deck combined with Beasts and slow control and Jousting options. It's 3-4 different decks in one and fine tuned for none of them.

Anyone else use the amazon app having this problem? It won't update, and when I go to the store page there is no option to update, just to open the app. Which brings me back to the store page to update.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
holy shit lock and load stacks, you get 2 cards per spell

Mirimar

King's Elekk into Animal Companion.

King's Elekk dies to that 2/1 taunt, but yea, I didn't see much else early game other than Arcane Shot. Doesn't inspire much when the best card you can play to contest board control isn't until turn 3.

The Mage deck isn't even aggro, it's Midrange at best. It's not like the Mage deck is finishing the game before turn 6.

The Hunter just has shitty control cards and thus can't actually contest the board very well... no matter what the Mage throws at him.

The Hunter is like some strange hybrid of Lock no Load spell heavy deck combined with Beasts and slow control and Jousting options. It's 3-4 different decks in one.

It plays very much like an agro deck early on, with the snowballing factor, but you're right, it has all these midrange cards. I had a hunter 60 quest saved for this too..now I wish I had a mage one, lol. Back to midrange hunter ranked.

inky

Logged in to the Europe servers to try the brawl but I don't even have a lvl 20 hero yet.

I did find I have an active arena run, let's see...

I'm pretty sure Gadgetzan was 5 mana when I drafted him. Novice Engineer might've been a 1/2 as well. Blizzard pls. Will probably leave that run active for posterity.

My first or second arena run was a 12 win one as well:

EU pls.

Lock and Load's visual effect is awesome. Worked out pretty well in my match too, as I'd saved the Coin and had two Arcane Shots (which led into a Quick Shot, a Call Pet and a Bestial Wrath). The Mage didn't seem to have any comeback mechanism after I took over the board (he missed turn 3).

Dahbomb

LMAO @ this Misdirection win by Amaz!

He was on lethal and the opponent was on 8 health with a Frost Giant and a Rhonin on board. He tried to get lethal from Lock n Load but only got Misdirection.

Misdirection hit Frost Giant to his own face!

Mirimar

Lol, Amaz just had the most ridiculous win with the Hunter deck. He needed 8 dmg. He lock and loaded into Arcane shot face into snake trap, hounds, into misdirection. Mage had Frost Giant. Tried to attack face and and went into his face. Great highlight.

Sifl

Lock and Load pretty frequently gives spell cards, based on the streams I've been watching.
Edit: Of course it does, forgot it was hunter cards, thought it was hunter+beast cards for some reason.

Dahbomb

Well in this match up Skeleton Knight doesn't even seem that awful.

And every time I saw Poly: Boar used it did work. I already called this card being very good and it might even be better than that (in a Tempo Mage deck of course).

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
FINALLY, Turn 4 I get to play as Medivh, first game I destroyed AS Valeera.

FAKE EDIT: And wtf, the hunter goes and concedes immediately, fuck's sake.

True, although I wonder, would Quartermaster even really be played if Muster for Battle wasn't a thing? That's sort of the best comparison to Valiant as Shaman doesn't have a good way to flood totems on to the board. Granted the buff from Valiant is permanent so it's a little more valuable in that respect but it's just hard to imagine it being as impactful as Quartermaster.

I also feel like, prior to GvG, people were more likely to let a Recruit sit on the board as opposed to something like a Wrath of Air Totem or Healing Totem so I'm not sold on Valiant making totems that much more of a priority kill target than they already were, where as Recruits essentially became public enemy number one after Quartermaster arrived on the scene.

I will certainly be testing out Thunder Bluff Valiant when the expansion drops but I'm just not as high on it as StrifeCro is I suppose. I certainly hope he's right though because it would be great for Shaman if Valiant was that impactful on the game.

I was thinking the same thing. People already clear totems just to deny Flame Tongue plays, so I don't see Thunder Bluff ever getting dropped onto a board with 3-4 totems. And Thunder Bluff is much slower than Quartermaster. You can play Muster on turn 3 and coin out Quartermaster on 4 and all of your Recruits immediately become 3/3s. You can play Thunder Bluff on turn 4 with the coin, but you can't hero power until the next turn. Maybe if you played Fencing Coach on turn 3, but then you're not going to have totems to buff.

Pooya

Dream hand! 😱

1440001094-1.jpg

I'm really enjoying playing Saarad. If it lives a turn you win the game and the effects are great. Production values overall seem way higher than things we got before.

And no, flame lance doesn't reuse flame cannon effect, it's brand new.

Acidmaw reuses Acidic Swamp Ooze effect though.

'Your mother was a murloc' wins the best play sound, that power creep! BBB stands no chance.

Dahbomb

The hunter deck is really bad.

Reminds me of nef vs rag
It's no where near as bad. This match up is 6-4 at worst.

When the Hunter gets the jousts going it gets really out of hand and they have more card advantage than the Mage in the late game plus better minion quality.

They just need to get their removals at the right time or else the Mage board can get out of control fast.

Loomba

I lost every joust in that match just then :( literally like 5 times. The Skeleton Knight came back to life multiple times.

inky

Blizzard putting in that Evil Heckler is such a fucking troll......

Nah, if players learn that 4 mana is less than 5 mana then it proved its usefulness. Game Design ;P

Sad about the updated art tho, that's a real shame. Damn you China and your Skellifobia.

Dahbomb

Nah, if players learn that 4 mana is less than 5 mana then it proved its usefulness. Game Design ;P

Sad about the updated art tho, that's a shame.
I meant more in that Evil Heckler doesn't really synergize with the deck like most of the other cards in the deck do. Almost every other minion in that deck has some Inspire synergy.

inky

I meant more in that Evil Heckler doesn't really synergize with the deck like most of the other cards in the deck do. Almost every other minion in that deck has some Inspire synergy.

I know what you mean (
like, if it loses you a joust you'd probably wish it was a BBB =D
), but it's just to showcase some new cards. Blizz hasn't made a point to make super effective decks. No biggie.

FeD.nL

Ok, Spellslinger just saved me by giving me Lava burst for exact lethal on exact mana efficiency, card redeemed.

still a shit card

Yoshichan

LOOOOOOOOOOL

If you have Skeleton Knight on the board and you use Feign Death, he returns back to your hand

Yoshichan

wow the new cards are fucking terrible.

Minsc

Gold Member
Just won 30-0 turn 5 as the Hunter, maybe it's not quite so horrible. Coined the 3/2 turn 1, followed by the same thing again turn 2, then Animal Companion, then that 5/3 charge guy turn 4, then another animal companion (huffer) + hero power brought them down to just 3 life and they conceded.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom