• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT4| The warsong has ended, please patron other decks

Status
Not open for further replies.

jgminto

I don't necessarily think Joust sucks. It's just this particular deck sucks.

Jousting and hunter just don't mix.

I think it could work in Mid/Control Hunter. Due to the spell summons, you could minimise the amount of minions under 4 to 4-6. While the Elekk is the only Joust you'd probably include, more potential card draw will be incredibly useful for Hunter.

cHinzo

Damn if u get board control with those inspire minions, u get so much value out of it. The Kodo Rider and Maiden of the Lake were doing work.

Rapstah

I can confirm that you can not use Alexstrasza on an enemy immune hero. Actually ran into that situation today. None of the ATLC casters knew which I guess makes sense.

You could probably target yourself with it since you can target yourself with stuff like Demonic Pact even when you're immune.

After playing the brawl, I think the inspire cards have potential. As a priest I use my hero power quite often, so I think I might be able to build a deck that benefits from that.

Copenap

I can confirm that you can not use Alexstrasza on an enemy immune hero. Actually ran into that situation today. None of the ATLC casters knew which I guess makes sense.

You could probably target yourself with it since you can target yourself with stuff like Demonic Pact even when you're immune.
I feel like this should not be the case. Alex is not dealing dage so immune shouldn't have an effect on that.

Dahbomb

God, the Hunter deck is so frustrating to play with.

I don't understand why Blizzard bloated it with a bunch of junk.
What man you don't want those Cobra Shots and double Jormungers?

Man I wished Blizzard had put Powershot and Quickshot into this deck for Hunter. Powershot would've allowed Hunter to gain advantage at the start when Mage floods the board with Fallen Heroes, Tournament Attendee and Lowly Squire.

Got a duplicate Illidan out of my brawl pack. Pretty cool.

Think i'm done with this brawl for the week.

It's just not fun to have all of your jousts go up against frost giant.

squidyj

This sort of confirmed what I thought about inspire minions. Individually they might not do a lot and if they only stick around one turn they're eh, but if your deck is full of them, eventually something sticks and starts generating value.

ViviOggi

Brawl pack
hearthstonescreenshots1agm.png

Dahbomb

Like imagine if instead of those Jormungers it was two Highmanes.

Instead of the two Cobra Shots it was Quick Shots or Powershots.

Instead of Kraken it was Dr Balanced.

Instead of Master Jouster it was two Belchers.

Instead of Skeleton Knight you had Gazrilla or Sylvanas or Emperor Balanced or really any good Legendary.

And the deck had an actual 4 drop that wasn't fucking Warhorse.

Basically an actual slow control deck rather than whatever the fuck that deck is supposed to be.

Here's the full Hunter list.

Mage list.

Dahbomb

It probably won't. Let's compare to Houndmaster. 1 mana less and 1 more attack. If you play the wrangler on curve it need to give you a minion that's 1 mana better than a 2/2 taunt with charge. Yes, because Houndmaster gives the bonus to a beast already there, which is much more valuable that summoning a new beast (that won't activate its battlecry) and can't attack that turn.

If the effect is truly random, then the expected value is much worse than Houndmaster's.
Wrangler on average summons a 3-4 stat minion (closer to 4 when you take into consideration the various deathrattles).

If it summons an average minion it's pretty damn good because you are getting well above 6 mana stats for 5 mana including putting a new beast in play (so you will have two beasts in play).

If you get anything beyond that it's game winning value.

It's like how people are running Bane of Dooms hoping for that one big lucky summon to win the game off of. It's just extremely aggravating to play against.

Dahbomb

It's like they heard people saying "oh inspire sucks" and made this brawl just to shut those people up >.>
That's not what is happening here at all.

Inspire is just decent in a deck stacked with all Inspire minions and effects against a really shitty deck that has no real synergies or purpose to it. It's literally just a bad Arena deck most of the time.

Yet even then the Hunter can win games off of Mage if the Hunter gains tempo and board control early on.

It's tough to evaluate all the mechanics and even individual cards in a match up that is so obviously rigged. You play that same Mage Inspire deck on Ladder and you will get crushed harder than that Divine Spirit Priest deck.

Ashodin

That's not what is happening here at all.

Inspire is just decent in a deck stacked with all Inspire minions and effects against a really shitty deck that has no real synergies or purpose to it. It's literally just a bad Arena deck most of the time.

Yet even then the Hunter can win games off of Mage if the Hunter gains tempo and board control early on.

Except that's exactly what I meant when I said that, so it's exactly what's happening here!

I feel both decks are built rather poorly just so the Brawl isn't a complete blowout too early in the game. That way people can see how things work in action. I know some people have had some crazy wins but it feels rather rare. Works better for the Mage I feel since they actually have minions to play.

Wrangler on average summons a 3-4 stat minion (closer to 4 when you take into consideration the various deathrattles).

If it summons an average minion it's pretty damn good because you are getting well above 6 mana stats for 5 mana including putting a new beast in play (so you will have two beasts in play).

If you get anything beyond that it's game winning value.

It's like how people are running Bane of Dooms hoping for that one big lucky summon to win the game off of. It's just extremely aggravating to play against.

Not really. It's conditional on you having a beast in play, which is a pretty major cost. There's 5 mana card that turns into a 7/7 with a beast in play that no one runs (it's for druid and it's shit).

A few pages back there was a breakdown on the beasts in the game and I don't remember the average being all that high.

However all that is irrelevant, it has to compete with Houndmaster for value. Houndmaster is a 4/3, so it itself trades much better and it gives you a +2/+2 that can be used immediately, plus a taunt. All for 1 less mana.

Sure if you get King Crush, it'll win you games, but if you get Captain's Parrot it could easily lose you a game as well.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Crusher Shaman was once a thing too. Call me when it extends beyond FOTM.

Crusher Shaman was once a thing too. Call me when it extends beyond FOTM.

How is a niche combo deck run by a skilled pilot who specializes in that deck a FOTM? :confused:

A couple of other people have done similarly, I think Kolento has been playing Inner Fire Priest to Legend

I really want to play with Burgle. I am sure the card might end up being mediocre, but I want to know how mediocre and I want to know now. I think at first someone misreported the card being 2 mana, which would have been awesome since the drawback of being random seemed to be a draw back for having to pay 1 less than normal. But at 3 mana I am pretty sure it isn't great. Yet I want to play with it.

It seems more suited for control like thoughtsteal, but rogues are not likely going faster than midrange with the new set unless the inspire mechanics play stronger for rogue than I initially suspected.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
How is a niche combo deck run by a skilled pilot who specializes in that deck a FOTM? :confused:

A couple of other people have done similarly, I think Kolento has been playing Inner Fire Priest to Legend

Looking at the matchups it probably doing as well as it is because it crushes aggro Paladin and Face Hunter, which are both very popular right now. So it is a meta response deck. Not a proven archetype in its own right.

I really want to play with Burgle. I am sure the card might end up being mediocre, but I want to know how mediocre and I want to know now. I think at first someone misreported the card being 2 mana, which would have been awesome since the drawback of being random seemed to be a draw back for having to pay 1 less than normal. But at 3 mana I am pretty sure it isn't great. Yet I want to play with it.

It seems more suited for control like thoughtsteal, but rogues are not likely going faster than midrange with the new set unless the inspire mechanics play stronger for rogue than I initially suspected.

Like I've said before I think it's total crap. Thoughsteal at least gets you stuff good enough to be played in constructed. Burgle could get you total unplayable crap.

Dahbomb

Sure if you get King Crush, it'll win you games, but if you get Captain's Parrot it could easily lose you a game as well.
You don't really lose the game just because you get a Captain's Parrot from Ram Wrangler. Just like getting a Blood Imp from Bane of Doom doesn't by itself lose you the game. Just like getting a Wisp from Unstable Portal doesn't lose you the game by itself.

But if you win the dice rolls you greatly and I mean greatly increase your chance of winning the game. If you get a Captain's Parrot you are only losing like 3 mana worth of stats on average... if you get a King Crush you are gaining 5 mana worth of stats at least (depending on how you rate the Charge). That means that you gain way more when you win big as opposed to the loss incurred when you lose big.

The reason why I don't really like to compare Houndmaster to Ram Wrangler is because if you are playing a Beast Hunter deck you are probably running both anyway. They are in different mana slots as well. Houndmaster gives you a Taunt on a Beast while Ram Wrangle summons a Beast for you with the potential to completely bring the game in your favor.

Dreavus

Lock and load is pretty crazy with a couple activators. The fact that it combos into itself sometimes (you can play the spells you get to get more spells if lucky) means you're going to get something out of it in the late game.

I guess it's a bit of a gamble overall since you are getting any hunter card, which vary in quality lol

Like I've said before I think it's total crap. Thoughsteal at least gets you stuff good enough to be played in constructed. Burgle could get you total unplayable crap.

A lot of class cards are pretty good and aren't included for reasons other than being unplayable. 30 card limit, curve limitations, overall deck strategy, meta, etc.. There are reasons why a bad class card might work really well in rogue, which is why the card is interesting.

I'll definitely agree that some classes are going to be weaker to burgle than others though. Like hunter since a lot of their class cards are beast synergy, although some are really stand out like highmane. And a card taken via burgle is actually better than a card included in your deck, like thoughtsteal, because you draw 2 of these cards off 1.

But I think overall that most class cards are actually worth playing even if they aren't included in a constructed deck for one reason or another.

First couple of games confirmed what I thought. Inspire is good in the right circumstances and can snowball well.

Joust suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom