• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT4| The warsong has ended, please patron other decks

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
If you aren't using Fencing Coach to accelerate an enormous inspire effect like Paletress, then it is almost ironforge rifleman levels of bad. The stats are basically inconsequential for the cost. Even with Paletress, it is a gimmicky, situational, and difficult to use version of innervate where you actually temporarily sacrifice tempo before you gain it back.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
They also should do an ALL legendary Brawl. New players would love that shit.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
I've tried Patron, Oil, Handlock, Control Warrior, Face Hunter, Midrange Hunter, Tempo Mage, Freeze Mage, Zoolock.

But really, the most consistent ladder climber right now is Eboladin.

Spam it brehs. Spam it to your Golden Epic.
One of my friends pushed up to rank 10 legend with Aggro Paladin. Watching it some...I think it's actually one of the harder aggro decks to play.

Raxus

One of my friends pushed up to rank 10 legend with Aggro Paladin. Watching it some...I think it's actually one of the harder aggro decks to play.

I have yet to find an Eboladin I really liked to play. Most builds have some shit in one way or another. It is hard to trim for the deck.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
I have yet to find an Eboladin I really liked to play. Most builds have some shit in one way or another. It is hard to trim for the deck.
Definitely. My friend went out of his way to stream snipe Trump, and after he trounced Trump (who said the deck was trash), Trump immediately went to go build an Aggro Paladin deck. He built it all wrong and immediately lost a bunch.
Who cares what anyone plays in eboladin. You either draw 5 cards with the divine favour or lose to any other deck :)
Divine Favor isn't really that useful against some of the matchups. If they always lost without DF card draw they would always lose to other aggro decks. Stuff like Patron Warrior keeps a big hand but it doesn't help aggro Paladin win.

Pooya

You can't just go SMorc with paladin, you have to play very carefully and play around various clears and build a strong board. Face hunter players are usually really bad, they will be even worse with face paladin. I have the easiest time with paladin on ladder, you can almost always pull lethal from somewhere.

I only lost two games in the last three days, it's ridiculous. One was freeze mage and the other was a Druid with a disgusting hand. Everything I did he had the counter for it and swipe really is too bad against you in general.

Opiate

Yeah, Eboladin is probably harder to pilot than face hunter but easier than aggro mage. None are especially complicated. I had a friend sit at Rank 1 Legend for some time with Eboladin and he readily admitted it was pretty face-rolly.

Frenden

Banned
Any tweaks to Eboladin for the current meta? I've always stubbornly held to control Warrior and other less SMORCy decks, but rank rewards have me reconsidering.

Teach me to face! :p

Edit: you posted the decklist as I typed this, heh!

Any tweaks to Eboladin for the current meta? I've always stubbornly held to control Warrior and other less SMORCy decks, but rank rewards have me reconsidering.

I haven't played any eboladin decks because I don't have muster and divine favor. I'm not sure I wanna eat the 400 dust to make it, but I would love to give it a whirl.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
which version are you using? you bothering with Consecration and Annoy or just going straight to the face?

I'm using this version:
Qu83GUX.png

I never explored any options so I can't say for certain this is optimal but I haven't had many complaints.

I don't know guys.
I think I have some kind of problem playing aggro decks.
Today I decided that I want to level up a bit because I've never reached a higher grade than the 15th so, not having enough cool cards to build a "proper" deck I tried an EBOLADIN
and an AGGRO ROGUE.
1 win, 1 lose, 1 win, 1 lose. And so on. What's the problem? Not face enough?

Raxus

It is similar to what I run too. I would replace annoytron for another Argent Squire or Southsea deckhand though. I don't run equality either.

I've said for a while that I think Maiden of the Lake is going to be a sleeper card of this set- I don't mean it's going to be a gigantic Constructed bomb, but rather that it's a flexible neutral card that will be a good Constructed role player, along the lines of a Tazdingo or an Acolyte of Pain.

After playing the Brawl I still think the same thing. Yet I never see anyone mention this card. I think it greases the wheels of some decent decks that will exist after TGT has settled. It's got obvious synergy with Inspire, but beyond that, I think it really smooths your mana curve and it's not irrelevant against early game pressure.

I don't know guys.
I think I have some kind of problem playing aggro decks.
Today I decided that I want to level up a bit because I've never reached a higher grade than the 15th so, not having enough cool cards to build a "proper" deck I tried an EBOLADIN
and an AGGRO ROGUE.
1 win, 1 lose, 1 win, 1 lose. And so on. What's the problem? Not face enough?

I don't feel like they have especially high winrates but they are just good for ladder because games go very quickly

Dahbomb

I already gave my impressions on Maiden of the Lake. I don't think it's that great personally, the stat line definitely hurts her. Even against the shitty Hunter Brawl cards I was having trouble killing anything with Maiden of the Lake. By itself it never felt that threatening, it was only when she was combined with Fallen Hero or Garrison Commander did I felt any real pressure.

Unless you are making a whole deck around Inspire based minions/mechanics then I don't see her being used over other 4 drops even though I don't think you play her on turn 4 (she's a turn 5 play after you dropped down a solid 4 drop body).

Pooya

Typically you need equality against handlock and druid, silence might not be enough in those games. But just one.

Also coghammer is very important, it can win you games that you're losing otherwise and it's 6 face damage too on its own, or better you can kill things with so that keeps your minions alive and you save truesilver for face.

CoolOff

Nothing better than turn 2-4 Wild Pyro + Coin + Power Word: Shield + Power Word: Shield against Eboladin.

The light shall burn you!

Opiate

So let's compare Kodorider and Cairne, which I think are close foils.

Cairne:

+Is 4/5 instead of 3/5
+Can readily be played on turn 6 instead of turn 8
+Significantly more resistant to AoE
-Significantly more vulnerable to polymorph/hex/silence

Kodorider:

+Can provide considerably more value than Cairne if you get 2x hero power off
+Significantly more resistant to polymorph/hex/silence
-Significantly more vulnerable to AoE
-3/5 instead of 4/5
-More likely to be played on turn 8

I'd say Cairne is better, but Kodorider obviously has more upside if you can stick for even 2 turns.

Dahbomb

Cairne:

+Is 4/5 instead of 3/5

Kodorider:

-3/5 instead of 4/5

I'd say Cairne is better, but Kodorider obviously has more upside if you can stick for even 2 turns.
Probably a better idea to compare it to Sky Golem than Cairne as Sky Golem actually sees some play over Cairne.

Opiate

Probably a better idea to compare it to Sky Golem than Cairne as Sky Golem actually sees some play over Cairne.

Cairne is played. I remember someone saying "he's not played" in an Archon team house discussion and then 3 people (Orange, Zalae, someone else) all immediately replied "I play cairne." But we can do a comparison of all 3!

embalm

Inspired Anduin
I thought Priest would be a good contender for an Inspired deck. Their basic package has a lot of synergy with their hero power already & Inspired has some decent two drops.

6 - 0 to 1s
2x Circle Heal
2x Northshire Cleric
2x PW:S

4 - 2s
2x Boneguard Lt
2x Garrison Commander

5 - 3s
2x Shadow Fiend
2x Injured Blademaster
1x Fencing Coach

6 - 4s
2x Sacred Warrior
2x Maiden of Lake
2x Auchanei

3 - 5s
1x Kvaldir Raider
1x Nexus-Champion Saraad
1x Holy Nova

3 - 6+
1x Light Bomb
1x Thaurassin
1x Sylvanus

1 - 7+
1x Confessor Paletress

Some interesting combos:
Like turn 4 Maid of Lake, turn 5 Auchanei + hero power for 2 damage.
Shadow Fiends & Thaurassin are included to reduce the cost of some combo pieces, getting an early proc from any inspire minion is good. Garrison Commander + Paletress is the dream, but it requires lots of setup or lots of discounts.
Fencing Coach is to be held for the turn before a big combo.
Frost Giants would be coming down turn 7+ most likely, but for 6 or less mana.
The deck probably needs Belchers and Chows. There are 2 deck slots available for tech.

After writing it out, the deck looks very iffy. There isn't a way to finish the game. I think the first 20 cards of the deck are good, with Sacred Warrior supplying the burst damage a priest was missing.
It's the last 8 cards that lack purpose. No idea how to round out the deck really... Paletress combos seem like a pipe dream, Saraad only offers card advantage and could leave you hanging dry, Giants might work with more large late game, Kvaldir raider is too slow...

Opiate

I am currently 9-25 in the brawl. The sample size is becoming large enough that I'm clearly doing something wrong. It feels like I can never establish board control or, if I do, the enemy has unleash the hounds or something. I never seem to get good lock and loads off or, if I do, I get 3x cobra shot or something. I'm not really sure yet.

Finalow

I've tried Patron, Oil, Handlock, Control Warrior, Face Hunter, Midrange Hunter, Tempo Mage, Freeze Mage, Zoolock.

But really, the most consistent ladder climber right now is Eboladin.

Spam it brehs. Spam it to your Golden Epic.
what's the best Eboladin deck though? I found at least 4 different versions.

edit/ nvm, just saw the post above. I got a golden Worgen, that's a start.

Cairne:

+Is 4/5 instead of 3/5

Kodorider:

-3/5 instead of 4/5

There are cards that can accelerate Kodo Rider though, like fencing coach for example. I guess feign death could also accelerate Cairne, but who plays that?

Anyhow, it's conceivable you could play Kodo Rider on T6 and get 1 inspire out immediately, which makes it better than Cairne IMO. Plus your opponent has to deal with it right away or let you get insane value. It's kinda the opposite for Cairne. If you can only kill it once it makes no sense to do it.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
what's the best Eboladin deck though? I found at least 4 different versions.

Posted a list above but there are others.

They're similar enough that it's really just preference and "how would you rather lose, running out of steam or getting killed first?"

Don't go with Hobgoblindin though. That one is just for funsies.

Szadek

Priest are hard to predict.
Maybe some kind of priest deck is suddenly really good after TGT,but I wouldn't bet on it.
Dragon Priest has probably the best chance.

Gotchaye

I am currently 9-25 in the brawl. The sample size is becoming large enough that I'm clearly doing something wrong. It feels like I can never establish board control or, if I do, the enemy has unleash the hounds or something. I never seem to get good lock and loads off or, if I do, I get 3x cobra shot or something. I'm not really sure yet.

The Hunter deck does feel really dependent on getting good L&L draws, but the biggest misconception I had about the Brawl going in was that the Hunter would be the more aggressive deck. The Mage's early game stacks up really nicely against the Hunter - the Mage has 1-drops and the Mage's 2-drops generally need to be answered immediately (except for Garrison Commander). Hunter's got King's Elekk and Secrets and not much else, and Huffer or Leoc from Animal Companion can end up doing almost nothing. The Mage shouldn't be worrying too much about hitting Inspire effects early on unless the hero power is independently valuable, as when a Fallen Hero is on the board (this card is ridiculous here). The Mage lacks reach, though, and can eventually run out of steam if the Hunter can answer its mid-game. If you don't draw your Frost Giants or Rhonin you're left trying to ping them down or maybe getting that last bit of damage with Polymorph Boar.

The Hunter has a really hard time early game, like I said, but tends to win if you can stretch things out. Generally you want to trade instead of going face, except perhaps with the 5/3 charger. Snipe and Bear Trap are good early game secrets, but because you're not playing for tempo and because Mages run out of cards you really want Freezing Trap to go off on something big. Use Unleash pretty aggressively to keep the Mage from being able to establish a board, since Mage basically wins with unanswered mid-game Inspire minions (letting the Mage sit back and use hero power in the mid-game is especially bad for you because it means that their Frost Giants will be dirt cheap later).

cackhyena

Is anyone else having more glitches than usual with the game? I get infrequent flickering on the screen in spots, no view of who I played last in the list, and voices absent at times when you know there should be. Like when someone drops out. Or maybe that last one is on purpose? Quitters seem to explode extra quick now.

inky

You are probably trying to play the decks too efficiently, Inspire pushes you to, but they are wildly inconsistent so I don't think it works. I find it better to leverage the wildcards like Spellslinger and Lock and Load.

I don't have a large enough sample size as you, but the strategy just seems to be to go for damage, and play around very few cards, mainly traps and stuff.

Dahbomb

Even with the 5/3 you want to board control. You want to take the game into the later stage as the Hunter.

You want to aggressively control the board early on and try to aggressively maintain it as well. You may have to use inefficient spells to get the job done even at a card disadvantage but you can make that up later.

The only Mage spells are two Flamelances, two Polymorph Bear and a Blizzard. It's almost all minions and the minions the Mage has don't have some big tempo swing built into them. Meaning that outside of like a Fallen Hero sniping your two health minion, they don't have good ways to comeback into the game once they have fallen behind in the game. In addition, only their Drakes, Rhonin, Giants, Maiden of the Lake and the Argent Horserider (which they only have one of) can survive a Snipe hit which means the Snipe trap is really damn good to maintain a board lead because a lot of the Mage minions die to Snipe.

To put it more in simpler terms.. Hunter is Ragnaros and Mage is Nefarian.

Also people use the Mage Inspire mechanic wrong. Like if you have a 3/2 on the board that has Inspire plus two 2 drops in hand while you have 4 mana... you shouldn't hero power to buff up the 3/2 to a 3/3 and play only one 2 drop. You always want to fill your curve with minions not the hero power. A 3/2 + 2/3 + 3/2 is better than a 3/3 + 2/3 + hero power ping. People play very greedy with the Inspire deck.

On the Hunter side, people play the greediest with Lock n Load. They want to save up all their spells in the mid to late game and then hope they get something amazing from Lock n Load to win the game. That sometimes work but usually you should use those spells earlier to control the board. What ends up happening is that they waste a whole turn gaining card advantage and not really doing much on the board and they fall behind on the board and lose the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom