• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT4| The warsong has ended, please patron other decks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rapstah

Dahbomb's picture was fine for me once on Chrome, but every single other time it was tiny.

Windows 8, Chrome.

Side note: I was considering stirring the pot by "reposting" an obviously re-sized really small / alternatively really huge version of the picture but no one would have understood the joke.

Hunter is really a midrange deck. And I think the mage deck is fairly midrange as well. That makes getting initiative early pretty important. I think hunter is a slightly slower deck so there is that, but if hunter can hold off (if not taking initiative fully) they are advantaged if the match goes long. Mage doesn't really have card draw, but hunter has lock and load and the elekk 2drop that sometimes draws minions.

Then again Mage gets decent inspire cards, where even kodorider can be a big deal in a longer game if they get a clean opportunity to play it (or saraad).

I don't think hunter's deck is as bad as people make it out to be, although I do think mage is favored on average.

Fireblend

Banned
My best aggro rogue game yet.

6Is9AjQ.png

Could barely believe I had lethal on turn 4. So satisfactory.

Opiate

If you're watching the Team Archon League Stream: Zalae managed to weather than intense early pressure from FrozenIce quite well. 2x Juggler, 2x Nerubian Egg with 2x Power overwhelming in to turn 7 Dr. Boom is extremely difficult to weather, and Zalae did it very well.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
You actually have to make trades with Tavern Hunter, so no one knows how to win.

There's nothing to trade with. It has basically zero early games minions aside from Kings Elekk and no significant board clears to catch up.

Dahbomb

There's nothing to trade with. It has basically zero early games minions aside from Kings Elekk and no significant board clears to catch up.
He means that if you get Huffer and Charge on Warhorse you need to use that to kill their creatures (even if they are small creatures) as opposed to going face with them.

Which is really the only way to win the game as Hunter (ie. get lucky on the mulligan, get lucky on Animal Companions and get lucky on the Jousts).

Opiate

He means that if you get Huffer and Charge on Warhorse you need to use that to kill their creatures (even if they are small creatures) as opposed to going face with them.

Which is really the only way to win the game as Hunter (ie. get lucky on the mulligan, get lucky on Animal Companions and get lucky on the Jousts).

It's the lock and loads which are beating me, I think. Just faced one that had a turn 3 that was:

Lock and Load
Arcane Shot
Coin
Arcane Shot

To clear my board and draw 3 cards.

Dahbomb

It's the lock and loads which are beating me, I think. Just faced one that had a turn 3 that was:

Lock and Load
Arcane Shot
Coin
Arcane Shot

To clear my board and draw 3 cards.
Yeah Lock n Load is a very crucial element in Hunter getting wins over Mage. We went over it before. Lock n Load is the one card that really carries Hunter hard in this Brawl in
the matches they manage to win.

ZealousD

Fel Reaver is the ultimate example of a card where somebody has the break through their own psychological barriers and really look at practical evidence to realize why it is usually a good card. If it has to break through taunts or it gets frozen, it is bad. But it has the same rule as higmane. If it attacks face, you win.

Dahbomb

Fel Reaver would be good if stuff like BGH, Freeze and Aldor didn't exist.

Usually if they use like 2-3 cards (and burn 6-9 of your cards) that's not a game breaker... but when they get to kill the Fel Reaver for free with BGH and also burn some of your cards that's a problem. In those match ups the other guy is just WAITING for you to play something big so he can get the value from BGH to turn the game around. When it gets Aldor'd and Frozen, I don't think I have seen a time where the guy playing the Fel Reaver actually managed to win that game.

Fel Reaver is definitely good in Arena though because those cards are less rare.

Fel Reaver would be good if stuff like BGH, Freeze and Aldor didn't exist.

Usually if they use like 2-3 cards (and burn 6-9 of your cards) that's not a game breaker... but when they get to kill the Fel Reaver for free with BGH and also burn some of your cards that's a problem. In those match ups the other guy is just WAITING for you to play something big so he can get the value from BGH to turn the game around. When it gets Aldor'd and Frozen, I don't think I have seen a time where the guy playing the Fel Reaver actually managed to win that game.

Fel Reaver is definitely good in Arena though because those cards are less rare.

Unless you actually get fatigued it's completely irrelevant. Those cards might as well have been on the bottom of your deck. And if Fel Reaver is alive and attacking, it probably won't matter. Of course getting frozen or getting hit with Aldor is the worst.

Mechanics question. What happens if you silence a card after it gets hit with Aldor? Does it return to its normal attack?

Dahbomb

Unless you actually get fatigued it's completely irrelevant. Those cards might as well have been on the bottom of your deck. And if Fel Reaver is alive and attacking, it probably won't matter. Of course getting frozen or getting hit with Aldor is the worst.

Mechanics question. What happens if you silence a card after it gets hit with Aldor? Does it return to its normal attack?
That's exactly what I said. It doesn't matter when you burn like 9 cards.

However if you burn like 15 cards? That is relevant because even aggro decks can go through 15 cards in an average game so now Fel Reaver has put you in fatigue status and wiped out the rest of your deck. This is relevant against match ups like Freeze Mage where the Fel Reaver couldv'e burnt your crucial Loatheb that couldv'e won you the game.

What happens if you silence a card after it gets hit with Aldor? Does it return to its normal attack?
Yeah.

So, obviously depends on what comes out of the packs I open but just curious as to what people think.

Worth disenchanting a golden Illidan for some extra dust to craft TGT epics and/or legendary? I already have a normal Illidan as well.

That's exactly what I said. It doesn't matter when you burn like 9 cards.

However if you burn like 15 cards? That is relevant because even aggro decks can go through 15 cards in an average game so now Fel Reaver has put you in fatigue status and wiped out the rest of your deck. This is relevant against match ups like Freeze Mage where the Fel Reaver couldv'e burnt your crucial Loatheb that couldv'e won you the game.

Yeah.

Actually you said it wasn't game breaking, implying it's still bad, but survivable. I'm saying it's not a drawback at all. I think there's a difference.

So what if Loatheb was burned? If it was at the bottom of your deck you weren't gonna draw it anyway.

Edit: It doesn't matter how many cards are burned, whether it be 6, 8 or 15. It only matters the moment you need to draw one and you have no more deck. Not a card before.

Once against a mage I managed to kill the Fel Reaver just as he drew his last card and killed me that turn. So the Fel Reaver burned the exact amount of cards for there not being a penalty against my opponent.

Haunted

Speaking of Fel Reaver, did they change the Fel Reaver card discard animation? Someone played a Fel Reaver against me just now and it didn't show me the cards that were burned (9 in total).

Dahbomb

Actually you said it wasn't game breaking, implying it's still bad, but survivable. I'm saying it's not a drawback at all. I think there's a difference.

So what if Loatheb was burned? If it was at the bottom of your deck you weren't gonna draw it anyway.
I meant if your entire deck was burnt including Loatheb because of Fel Reaver.

I said 15 cards is relevant because you usually play out 15 cards in a match and the other 15 cards being burnt means that you used up your entire deck. Losing 9 cards isn't usually a problem (again, there can be arguments either way) but once you reach the point where Fel Reaver has burnt half of the problem then that's a problem.

It used to matter if a key card got burned because your opponent would see it get burned and know that they don't have to play around that card.

But now they can't see the cards burned anymore. It can still matter (pre-fatigue) if enough cards get burned that the number of cards left wouldn't be enough to sustain your victory.

Did they shorten or change the Fel Reaver card discard animation?

Someone played a Fel Reaver against me and it didn't show me the cards that were burned (9 in total).

Some people mentioned something about that with the new patch. I think now it doesn't even show them to the owner of the Fel Reaver, which is definitely bad.

Burning cards before could even be seen as an advantage, since you know much more exactly what's left on your deck. It's like getting to look at X cards from the bottom of your deck.

Not anymore though. I don't know if it was intentional or just a bug though.

It used to matter if a key card got burned because your opponent would see it get burned and know that they don't have to play around that card.

But now they can't see the cards burned anymore. It can still matter (pre-fatigue) if enough cards get burned that the number of cards left wouldn't be enough to sustain your victory.

That's a good point, your opponent also got to look at the bottom of your deck, which could be his advantage.

Ultrabum

Speaking of Fel Reaver, did they change the Fel Reaver card discard animation? Someone played a Fel Reaver against me just now and it didn't show me the cards that were burned (9 in total).

I assume they did this to stop me from running cancer warlock with fist of Jaraxxus and fel reaver. I think before you would have had a really good chance to discard it with a fel reaver, now the cards are removed, not discarded.

Dahbomb

If Fel Reaver showed the cards to the owner but not to the opponent then that would make it good enough to be a definite include in Mech Mage/Shaman.

As it is, not knowing what cards you have discarded makes it difficult to make plays. I am not sure why they did that or if it was a bug.

One thing is for sure, I have seen more Fel Reavers lately which basically tells me that the main reason Fel Reaver wasn't used as much was because the psychological effect of seeing your cards being burnt was too much to handle for many people.

Haunted

Huh, that's an interesting balance change.

I'll have to think a bit about the ramifications of not showing the cards anymore.

Certainly makes the card a bit less exciting just from a spectator's standpoint.

Pooya

How come nobody runs a Kezan in these tournaments when like every mage is guaranteed to be freeze mage? And then there are hunters which definitely have secrets.

------------------

Tempo mages on ladder seem to have figured it out finally and cut the mirror entity for iceblock, wise decision, I made the switch a while back. After turn 6 or so you just sit back and hit face with spells with no care. It's quite disgusting.

JesseZao

Maybe this fits into the plan to implement a graveyard for when the dk hero is released. Then the removed cards will be public info again.

ZealousD

One thing is for sure, I have seen more Fel Reavers lately which basically tells me that the main reason Fel Reaver wasn't used as much was because the psychological effect of seeing your cards being burnt was too much to handle for many people.

That would be interesting if Blizzard intentionally made the change to lower the psychological barriers.

But I don't think we've gotten a response on the matter?

Dahbomb

That would be interesting if Blizzard intentionally made the change to lower the psychological barriers.

But I don't think we've gotten a response on the matter?
I know the psychological effect is real. Whenever I help someone in Arena and they have Fel Reaver, I tell them to play it and don't look at the cards being discarded. Well they look anyway and they get sad that they "lost their Flamestrike" or whatever. I tell them it doesn't matter you will win anyway and 2/3rd of the time they do just that.

However that 1/3rd time where that Fel Reaver gets wrecked by Freeze mechanics they start cursing the card and swearing never to play it again.

And yeah we haven't heard a response on it.

I stopped playing right after naxx second wing came out and only returned about 3 months ago. It was a slow grind but I saved up the money from dailies and everything and finally finished purchasing all of the solo adventure wings a few days ago. I mostly one shotted the content and now that the money isn't going towards content, I decided to draft an arena.

After about 2 years of starting, I finally piloted a 12 win arena deck. 3 frost bolts and 4 flamestrikes certainly helped. The card quality was good, had an echo of medivh, one fireball, one chow and a jeeves which made some of the games crazy. Overall, it was the kind of deck that was a solid 7-9 wins that I know wasnt easy to take to 12. After 2 straight losses at 4-0 I knew not to get on tilt and took it home from there.

Best part is that I didn't get to see the animations add the innkeeper came up and am error occurred. Got about 300g and two packs so it doesn't get better than that.

ViviOggi

So, obviously depends on what comes out of the packs I open but just curious as to what people think.

Worth disenchanting a golden Illidan for some extra dust to craft TGT epics and/or legendary? I already have a normal Illidan as well.
Nah I wouldn't, might become playable in Demonlock at some point. I believe he's been run in some lists recently even. He's not The Beast tier and you'll likely never pull him golden again.

Also what would you want to craft from TGT anyway

Dahbomb

wining 2/3rds in arena is only 6 wins though
Was talking about the times where Fel Reaver works vs doesn't work. Fel Reaver more often wins you a game than loses you the game was my point. If your game comes down to you needing Fel Reaver to win the game and you lose anyway.. that's not the fault of Fel Reaver but the rest of the deck not doing its job. A lot of the time you won't even draw Fel Reaver.

A card which allows you to win more than it makes you to lose in Arena is generally good. You basically need to stack your entire deck with cards like these and their cumulative effect allows you to get to high wins. Pyroblast is a good example. There will be times where it will win you the game and there will be times where it will sit in your hand doing nothing and potentially lose you the game.

Plus Fel Reaver also has to be played properly, many people still don't know how to properly play Fel Reaver or when to play it.

Fel Reaver is actually a very popular card in 12-win Arena decks. I think it's a card that's very biased towards strong players (i.e. they know when to draft it and when to play it, while weaker players will either avoid drafting it or misplay it when they have no way to follow up on it).

Ultrabum

Archon team league is hilarious, it's basically who can get a win with shaman rofl.

Spoilers it's shaman v shaman now, shaman has to win!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom