• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT4| The warsong has ended, please patron other decks

Status
Not open for further replies.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Feels like Priest doesn't reliably counter anything right now unless you've managed to get the 4-5 taunt dragons.
I mean...the same could be said for almost all classes. There are cards that are crucial to building a half decent deck and oftentimes these are "epic" rarity cards or higher. One of the reasons I actually think Patron Warrior is good for the game is that it's such a cheap deck to construct. Same goes for face Hunter. I think control based matchups are easily the most fun, and I wish Blizzard would do more to push them. Frankly though it's hard to incentivize that when many control cards are prohibitively expensive, and it's faster to grind games out and earn more resources with an aggro deck.

f0lken

The twins didn't work on Paladin, so I moved onto the Priest ways, and it worked better, but I hit a Wall around level 13, don't move from there but can't go up the ladder neither. should I accept that is the best a deck including the twins can go, or can I improve this deck somehow? The twins do a good job controlling the board because Priest spells work better at supporting/protect them than Paladin´s but what I lack is a real finisher, the Auchenai fill that spot better than Ragnaros.

qQlewAA.png

I really want to make them work :/

Leezard

The twins didn't work on Paladin, so I moved onto the Priest ways, and it worked better, but I hit a Wall around level 13, don't move from there but can't go up the ladder neither. should I accept that is the best a deck including the twins can go, or can I improve this deck somehow? The twins do a good job controlling the board because Priest spells work better at supporting/protect them than Paladin´s but what I lack is a real finisher, the Auchenai fill that spot better than Ragnaros.

qQlewAA.png

I really want to make them work :/

Just put Eydis into mech mage and work off of the spare parts

Yeah, I get that. I should have known better from my MtG days. Just sucks losing, then switching decks, then getting paired against a counter, losing, switching decks, then getting countered again.

Feels like Priest doesn't reliably counter anything right now unless you've managed to get the 4-5 taunt dragons. Going to keep trying though - everything else I play just gets crushed. I can't even reach rank 10. : / Maybe I'll switch over to Mage but no Antonidas. Maybe I'll do Shaman, but I don't feel like it can compete with Paladin right now. I tried Skulker, BF Rogue a few days ago and even that was too slow.

At least you can build some decks that can have reasonable win rates against most of the meta.

f0lken

Just put Eydis into mech mage and work off of the spare parts

I tried but you can't reliably count on spare parts alone to support them so often you have a dead (but with decent stats at least) minion on the board or your hand waiting, I even tried warrior but that was worse lol. Priest is the one where they work better

zoukka

Yeah, I get that. I should have known better from my MtG days. Just sucks losing, then switching decks, then getting paired against a counter, losing, switching decks, then getting countered again.

Feels like Priest doesn't reliably counter anything right now unless you've managed to get the 4-5 taunt dragons. Going to keep trying though - everything else I play just gets crushed. I can't even reach rank 10. : / Maybe I'll switch over to Mage but no Antonidas. Maybe I'll do Shaman, but I don't feel like it can compete with Paladin right now. I tried Skulker, BF Rogue a few days ago and even that was too slow.

Yeah I'm sorry but Dragon Priest is just bad. In fact the whole "if you hold a dragon" mechanic is weak and I don't see much competitive future for dragons. I wanted to believe.

KuroNeeko

Yeah I'm sorry but Dragon Priest is just bad. In fact the whole "if you hold a dragon" mechanic is weak and I don't see much competitive future for dragons. I wanted to believe.

I feel like giving up on dragons means giving up on Priest right now. There are no other really good turn 2, 2-drops. 2/4 taunt is just amazing, especially with all the aggro out there. (I know I wrote this, but it's not like I have any of the new TGT Taunters / Dragons. lol)

I can't keep anything on the board or even trade my minions fast enough. Maybe it wouldn't be better with dragon, but turn 2 / turn 4 taunts → Sledge Belcher or Corrupter seems pretty strong to me.

Guess I'll double down with Zombie Chow, Death Lord, and Holy Smite. I'm even considering dropping SW:D for SW: Pains. Or maybe I'm just making bad plays. Or maybe I've got my own self to blame. I don't see a lot priests out there but, what are you going to do? I like Priest and Rogue. : /

zoukka

Priest is weak beyond dragons as well. Against aggro though priest is not bad at all. Pyromancers, PWS, Auchenai+circle, holy smite, holy nova are all good tools against aggro decks.

Actually now that paladin is hot shit, priest might be a lot better than before.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Dragon Priest is fine and seems highly rated by top members of the community. I don't really understand what you are complaining about.

I wouldn't say bad, just not good enough.

Once people give up on TGT and start playing handlock and patron again it'll get destroyed.

I feel like giving up on dragons means giving up on Priest right now. There are no other really good turn 2, 2-drops. 2/4 taunt is just amazing, especially with all the aggro out there. (I know I wrote this, but it's not like I have any of the new TGT Taunters / Dragons. lol)

I can't keep anything on the board or even trade my minions fast enough. Maybe it wouldn't be better with dragon, but turn 2 / turn 4 taunts → Sledge Belcher or Corrupter seems pretty strong to me.

Guess I'll double down with Zombie Chow, Death Lord, and Holy Smite. I'm even considering dropping SW:D for SW: Pains. Or maybe I'm just making bad plays. Or maybe I've got my own self to blame. I don't see a lot priests out there but, what are you going to do? I like Priest and Rogue. : /

I'm in the exact same situation. I like playing priest, but can't seem to make any noteworthy progress on the ladder. I don't have everything from MC to even start a dragon priest, let alone the legendary big dragons. Feels like there is no such thing as strong turn 2 play. Turn one has Zombie Chow, and turn 3 has some options at least.

And like you, I am wondering if I am just a bad player. Which I probably am, since I could not climb much further with Patron warrior.

Justicar Trueheart and Auchenai feels good though.

zoukka

Dragon Priest is fine and seems highly rated by top members of the community. I don't really understand what you are complaining about.

Main problems with the deck are conditional minions (hold a dragon to be playable) which can backfire and cause bad mulligans. You need a critical mass of dragon cards to help alleviate this issue which again means you need to play mediocre cards instead of better non-dragon cards.

Deck is way too unreliable to work in the ladder.

KuroNeeko

Main problems with the deck are conditional minions (hold a dragon to be playable) which can backfire and cause bad mulligans. You need a critical mass of dragon cards to help alleviate this issue which again means you need to play mediocre cards instead of better non-dragon cards.

Deck is way too unreliable to work in the ladder.

See, and you could be right, but I think achieving that critical mass is easy now.

Whelp x 2
Twilight Guardian x 2
Azure Drake x 2
Chill 1
Big Dragon 1
Big Dragon 2

Seem like decent fits which brings it up to 9 dragons - about 1/3 your deck. I don't feel like you're giving up that much to get it, either. Thoughtsteal, Light of the Naaru, Blademasters, and the Priests.

I think the Technicians are a so-so replacement for Blademaster. They lose +1 ATK / +3 max health, but start with 5 health which helps them survive at least one trade.

For me, losing the ASP + CoH combo is pretty uncomfortable, but you're less reliant on the combo now and instead picking up a fairly sturdy guardian. CSP is probably the most painful cut, but she feels so slow right now.

The second question, is it good enough for the post-TGT-rush meta? Probably not. I don't feel like Priest has enough threats. They have a lot of good answers - but not that many good questions outside of Blademaster → CoH on turn 3.

Then again, what do I know? I'm just a rank 13 scrub. lol ; )

For what its worth, the priests I have been playing against seem to only very rarely not have an activator for their dragon cards. I don't think that is an issue.

The decks definitely curve out a lot more consistently than before. I don't mind seeing dragon though cause it still might be weaker than the non-dragon counter parts, at least vs rogue. I noticed vs paladin its a bit better or I am playing the match up wrong.

zoukka

See, and you could be right, but I think achieving that critical mass is easy now.

Whelp x 2
Twilight Guardian x 2
Azure Drake x 2
Chill 1
Big Dragon 1
Big Dragon 2

This is still not enough dragons for the deck to be reliable I'm afraid. You are going to get bad mulligans for sure. And yes the Twilight Guardian is nice on paper, but it and Chillmaw are just conditional taunts that are weak to any kind of removal/silence. That shit won't fly against aggro decks.

Not to mention against other control decks these midrangey bodies get out valued by shredders and the like.

Dragon Priest doesn't excel in anything.

For what its worth, the priests I have been playing against seem to only very rarely not have an activator for their dragon cards. I don't think that is an issue.

But consider the fact that often they have had to keep expensive dragons in their hand in the fear of not buffing their 1-2 drops. That is already a disadvantage they are starting with.

Szadek

Ancestral Knowledge is such a bad card.
Unless you are playing some kind of combo deck,you are way better of playing Neptulon.
He even got better with TGT because of Murloc Knight.

bjaelke

But consider the fact that often they have had to keep expensive dragons in their hand in the fear of not buffing their 1-2 drops. That is already a disadvantage they are starting with.
I almost always have a Whelp in my opening hand. It has slowly become my Shielded Minibot.

I rarely play anything turn 1 unless I have some good on-curve follow up, so the Whelp just sits there as a possible activator.

bjaelke

That's not a good thing.

I don't see how it's a bad thing. Keep it for a turn 2 Wyrmwrest Agent or a turn 2 Whelp + PW:S. Either way, both those plays actually lives past the inevitable Fiery War Axe. Even coining out a Blackwing Technician seems like a good thing to me - if you actually have the dragon activator in hand.

zoukka

I don't see how it's a bad thing. Keep it for a turn 2 Wyrmwrest Agent or a turn 2 Whelp + PW:S. Either way, both those plays actually lives past the inevitable Fiery War Axe. Even coining out a Blackwing Technician seems like a good thing to me - if you actually have the dragon activator in hand.

Well it might be better than bad, but it isn't necessarily good either :) 2-attack minions later than turns 1 and 2 are pretty much useless unless you are a face deck. It's a good example of the issue I talked about just now, you have cards that don't fir the curve or sit in your hand which is never a good thing.

So why not run Nefarian and Onyxia instead? They can sit there doing nothing as well and can be pretty handy later.

I have been experimenting with a standard priest healer deck, that runs auchenai, circle of healing, injured bladmaster, light of the naaru, deathlords, you know how it goes. Of TGT card I added holy champions and justicar. Plus I have tons of board clear.

Link

Eydis is there, but I'm looking to replace her with something. Dunno with what. I climbed from rank 8 to 7 with it yesterday before I had to stop. So this far it has been a success. I'm not sure how competetive this deck would be, but at least on ladder it's not complete trash. I did beat a dragon priest, patron warrior and both druids I met.

I'm saying this, because I think there are other ways priest can go than Dragon Priest. Not giving up on priest :)

ViviOggi

How in the fuck does Avenge buff and bring back to life an x/1 creature that previously died to a whirlwind effect

That's so fucking stupid

Acinixys

I just beat the entirety of Blackrock with Eboladdin (The new Mysterious Challanger secrets one)

Only two I couldnt beat with that deck were Gaar and Nefarian

Balanced deck
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Garou

So I'm a beginner and just got a handful of online-wins with nothing but free stuff. If I were to spend let's say 10$, what would be best? Card-packs? If so, which series? Or adventures?

ViviOggi

Not really,the secrets just trigger in order like they always did.
That's not what the game shows you. When a Paladork has a Challenger and a bunch of 1 health garbage on the board and you attack with a 4/1 Death's Bite it correctly triggers Noble Sac. Then the DB deathrattle procs and kills everything but Challenger, THEN Avenge triggers and has a 50% chance to resurrect & buff a 0 health minion. Going by the animations the DB deathrattle comes first so the only Avenge target should be Challenger. If Avenge is somehow supposed to trigger right after Noble Sac, before the DB deathrattle, then the animations are wrong.

Xanathus

So I'm a beginner and just got a handful of online-wins with nothing but free stuff. If I were to spend let's say 10$, what would be best? Card-packs? If so, which series? Or adventures?
Spend a bit more on the Naxxaramas adventure rather than buying card packs, you get guaranteed cards that are good and you get some fun AI bosses to play against.

Heropon

I think I'm done trying to reach rank 5. It's deppressing how all the decks are the same paladin secret deck and it gets pretty tiring even when winning. I thought new content would mean more variety but it's worse than ever.

Ladekabel

Been a few weeks since I got my last "Watch&Learn" quest. I want more than one free pack a week, Blizzard!

Not faced an Secrets Paladin yet either.

Magnus

Well, I found the 'third heat' that was missing in my fun Priest buff deck; Confuse! You can hear your opponent laughing as you fail to draw Inner Fires for all your high health, low attack minions, and then bam, lethal out of nowhere. Love this.

Pooya

I consistently get insane value from Ram Wrangler, it's so good to get a free extra highmane.

---------------------

When is that Lord of Arena thing?

edit: here, this should be good

ic8imZH.png

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I noticed the new TempoStorm meta analysis is out, so let's follow up on this:

Lifecoach says theres 11 playable cards in The Grand Dust Tournament. 10hr review kreygasm

Kings Elekk
Healing wave
Tuskarr totemic
Tuskarr jouster
Eadric the pure
Mysterious challenger
Varian
Rhonin
Beneath the grounds
Living roots
Darnassus aspirant (maybe)
Mulch

Okay, so my bar for him being wrong was that cards not in this list appear in the TempoStorm Meta analysis for at least two weeks.

First, here's a link/listing of the current top two tiers:

Tier 1:
Secret Paladin
Patron Warrior

TIER 2
Dragon Priest
Handlock
Totem Shaman
Mid-Range Paladin
Control Warrior
Zoolock
Dragon Warrior
Mid-Range Druid
Token Druid

And here are the potential candidates that are in Tier 1 or Tier 2 decks right now:

1.) Competitor Spirit
2.) Wyrmrest Agent
3.) Twilight Guardian
4.) Chillmaw
5.) Totem Golem
6.) Thunder Bluff Valiant
7.) Gormok The Impaler
8.) Murloc Knight
9.) Justicarr Trueheart
10.) Alexstrasza's Champion

I think it would be fairer to look at the decklists used in the next couple of big tournaments. Those TempoStorm lists usually include a whole ton of decks that aren't really played at the elite level (I genuinely can't remember the last time I saw a big name play a Shaman deck other than Mech Shaman in a tournament). Fist of Jaraxxus and Wrathguard have been used to good effect in Zoo in the Archon league knockouts, so if they continue to be used he'd definitely be wrong on those cards.

Hupsel

RSS feed is pretty straightforward. Just copy the url of RSS into your podcast app. What podcast app are you using?

Thanks for the help!

The problem is... I didnt have a podcast app, I was trying to download it directly from my pc to my cellphone lolz.

Got one now and was listening to the Angry Chicken thingy. Idk if I like it... my problem with podcasts is that people spend like the first 30min talking about anything but Hearthstone or what the main topic is about. Happens with a lot of podcasts... if they just focused on news, strategies and so on the duration could probably be reduced by 50%.

KuroNeeko

I have been experimenting with a standard priest healer deck, that runs auchenai, circle of healing, injured bladmaster, light of the naaru, deathlords, you know how it goes. Of TGT card I added holy champions and justicar. Plus I have tons of board clear.

Link

Eydis is there, but I'm looking to replace her with something. Dunno with what. I climbed from rank 8 to 7 with it yesterday before I had to stop. So this far it has been a success. I'm not sure how competetive this deck would be, but at least on ladder it's not complete trash. I did beat a dragon priest, patron warrior and both druids I met.

I'm saying this, because I think there are other ways priest can go than Dragon Priest. Not giving up on priest :)

Thanks for the link!

Looks pretty priesty, but am surprised you aren't running any Chows. One less Nova, but an extra Lightbomb. How are you surviving the early game - Deathlord and Pyro?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I think it would be fairer to look at the decklists used in the next couple of big tournaments. Those TempoStorm lists usually include a whole ton of decks that aren't really played at the elite level (I genuinely can't remember the last time I saw a big name play a Shaman deck other than Mech Shaman in a tournament). Fist of Jaraxxus and Wrathguard have been used to good effect in Zoo in the Archon league knockouts, so if they continue to be used he'd definitely be wrong on those cards.

His statement is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bX8f9LRIcS8

"So, basically, all the cards that get the cut now are irrelevant. So, like, these two cards we just talked about, and all the cards we're about to name, will be the only relevant cards, so basically the only cards which will influence anything, and all the other cards, you don't need to take care of them any longer."

It sounds pretty absolutist, and given the "you", not just referring to tournaments. If someone has additional context to these statements that's not in the video, or has watched his stream a ton and can explain why he really means tournaments, please feel free to share.

depths20XX

I know some people in this thread are saying dragon priest isn't good but I had an amazing day with it yesterday.

Went rank 12-6 with 8-9 win streak at one point. Granted I'm not in legend but I was doing very well against agro paladin decks and hunter. Holy shit at how many paladins there are right now.

I still don't think the deck is top tier or anything but against all the current agro decks I faired well.

Coketruck

FINALLY made it to Rank 10 with my Hunter deck. I kept going back and forth between 11 and 12 for the longest time. Only ran into a couple of Secret Paladins and Patron Warriors, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom