• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT4| The warsong has ended, please patron other decks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Duster

Won't mage spells become increasingly weaker in arena?
More and more cards have the HP to withstand a flamestrike or fireball, there's already a lot of deathrattle cards and it sounds like there'll soon be more divine shields on top of that.

I'll have 700 gold by tomorrow. Should I:

-Buy the first wing of Nax?
-Buy the first wing of Blackrock?
-Spend it on the arena (I'm not great....usually get 3-5 wins)
-Wait until the Grand Tournament to see what 700 gold gets me then?

I had the same decision recently, I went with BRM but think I chose poorly. If I could make the decision again I'd go with the first wing Naxx ( I already have some good Warlock cards to go with them).
However that's largely because I can't play Patron Warrior properly, I had assumed that's due to the missing Naxx cards but looking around it seems others have reached a high rank without them. Plus Emperor Thaurissan is a great card.

ViviOggi

Won't mage spells become increasingly weaker in arena?
More and more cards have the HP to withstand a flamestrike or fireball, there's already a lot of deathrattle cards and it sounds like there'll soon be more divine shields on top of that.
Eh not really, some weird 1/7, 2/6 and whatnot minions existing is irrelevant as their stat distribution means playing them puts you behind by default - you can't hold a board with that shit. Yeti is still the gold standard for midgame stat distribution and they're not suddenly gonna start printing 4cc 4/7s. So Fireball still kills everything relevant, Flamecannon's and Frostbolt's tempo swing potential as well as Flamestrike's lategame value remain unparalleled. As for deathrattles and divine shields, well... there's one class that removes these with great pleasure and it's not Warrior. If anything an influx of divine shields would put non-ping classes further behind.

I actually think this patch will likely buff Mage in Arena (enough to outweigh any damage dealt by Flame Lance being thrown into the common pool), since it's going to slow the game down and make hero powers more important. This should make it even easier for Mage to generate card advantage and get bonuses for using it's versatile hero power (contrast, say, Rogue or Hunter). A general trend towards minions that are dangerous if left on the board and therefore have "pseudo-Taunt" (which could describe any Inspire card, but also other additions like Maiden of the Lake) helps classes with good spot removals. Mage has some of the most reliable removals of any class and almost always drafts at least one or two small and large removals.

I just don't get why they're showing all this garbage early instead of the exciting stuff and keeping most filler for their FB dump at the end. Surely showing hype cards during the first weeks generates more buzz, especially when you're having streamers do reveals as well? Both of those have just been sad.
I don't get it either but there's still some time left. If the next week of reveals are so-so, then I'd be a little bit worried about the rest of the cards.

Main reason I'm putting some faith in next week is because we can't be the only people bothered by these past few card reveals. I'm sure they have eyes and ears everywhere. Maybe the plan the entire time is to get people's expectations low then blow it all up with last minute reveals.

It'd be interesting to see a graph of pre-orders over time and correlate that with card reveals.

tylerf

I want to make a post complaining about Flamestrike in arena after my last game but I know that's been talked about 1000 times already so I'll just say this:
BabyRage.png

Minsc

Gold Member
Despite the general lack "wow" factor this expansion has had, people do seem to be buying it in numbers. I've encountered a decent number of people using the pre-order card back, and the $10 heroes, I run in to the Mage one all the time in ranked play (a few times a day anyway), and occasionally the other two. Hunter one is least common, but both are far rarer than the Mage one. I guess they should really put effort in to the hero if they want it to sell well, that or people just like Mage the best, or don't like Jaina.

CoolOff

Same, but for Mage.

Lol @ Kripps latest review. On the 2 mana 2/4:

"If you get this, just disenchant it, get some dust.

...speaking of dust, here's Demonfuse."

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Despite the general lack "wow" factor this expansion has had, people do seem to be buying it in numbers. I've encountered a decent number of people using the pre-order card back, and the $10 heroes, I run in to the Mage one all the time in ranked play (a few times a day anyway), and occasionally the other two. Hunter one is least common, but both are far rarer than the Mage one. I guess they should really put effort in to the hero if they want it to sell well, that or people just like Mage the best, or don't like Jaina.

I still don't get Medivh is a Mage skin and not a Warlock.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
wtf Flame Lance is garbage, like seriously. Why would you ever use that card.

It's basically Assassinate. Great pick in arena. Polymorph probably better since Polymorph effectively silences the target as well but the card isn't really that bad.

Gotchaye

Better to save the gold and buy the new packs or save the gold and do Arena when the new cards come out?

Arena's going to reward random packs from here on out, so it's much harder to use it to convert gold to a particular kind of pack at a better rate than you're getting from the store. It'll obviously also take three times longer to get some number of a particular kind of pack.

Let's say that a Classic or GvG pack, where you already own everything in each set, is worth about 100 dust, more-or-less the expected dust value of disenchanting everything you get from a random pack. A pack from a brand new set is going to be worth maybe 500 dust, more-or-less the expected dust value of crafting everything in the pack. Regardless of the exact numbers, it's at least 4 times as valuable and no more than 8 times as valuable, ignoring golden cards.

Then the average store-bought TGT pack is worth 500 dust (obviously). The average Arena pack is worth 100*2/3 + 500*1/3 = 233 dust. So in terms of pack rewards Arena will pay out about half as much for long-time players as if it gave out TGT packs every time.

Right now you break even in Arena relative to buying GvG packs at 4 wins, because you pay 150 to enter and get back about 50. Now you'll need to get back about 100 gold to come out ahead relative to buying TGT packs, which is probably somewhere around 5-6 wins (depends how the random reward pool works). I'd guess right about 6, given that you're also missing out on about 15 gold from winning half of 9 games in Ranked. Obviously if you're reliably getting 7 wins you're making gold and the exchange rate is never going to make the store look good, although even though I do average over 7 wins I'll probably still spend maybe 1000 gold on packs just to get things going faster.

Interesting thing I just messed around with while thinking about the new cards from TGT. With E Darkbane and Warrior, you have access to a 'classic' OTK. (Classic in the sense there is no prior set up, EG: Warsong + Molten combo)

Anyway, all you need to do is play E Darkbane and follow it up with Charge while using both Inner Rages/Rampages on her. That'll boost her up to a 15/2 while having her shoot out 15 damage out with her ability.

Now, I know it'd a dream sequence being a six card combo and requires an empty board but it's more about returning back to OTKs with next to zero set up. You can even squeeze out more damage with EMP T with Slams and another Charge.

I know people really hate Patron Warrior but that does take set up to get that 30 damage in one turn. This theoretically does not. Warriors are also one of the better classes for dragging out a game as well thanks to armor, at least in my experience. It'll be fun to mess around with at least and I had a lot of fun with Addict Warrior too.

Guess I better start working on making Miracle Warrior. Wonder if they'll get any new spells with TGT.

Dahbomb

Same, but for Mage.

Lol @ Kripps latest review. On the 2 mana 2/4:

"If you get this, just disenchant it, get some dust.

...speaking of dust, here's Demonfuse."
Yeah Kripp went ham on the new cards and basically stated at the end that so far pretty much all the cards are mediocre at best (Constructed, he states that most of those cards are "good enough for arena") and only those 3/4 Legendaries are actually good.

Pooya

Lame Lance is so bad he didn't even review it!

Savage Combatant, it can drop from Sky Golem so it could be good for mage. lol

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I love losing to boombots hitting me for 7 in the face along with having a double 4 in implosion rolled against me

said no one, ever.

Dahbomb

Savage Combatant is good IMO but it's just not Shredder tier which is unfortunate. Savage Combatant is a skill based card where the usage of the card would differentiate players as opposed to Shredder were you just place it without thinking on curve like Dr Balanced.

Thing about cards like Demonfuse and that new Mage Lance cards are that they are redundant and don't bring anything interesting to the table. Demonfuse is a boring stat buff which Warlock already has plus it's legit worse than ALL of the Warlock buff options. The Mage card is a big minion removal when Mage already has some of the best large minion removal in the games.

These cards are Kings Defender bad in terms of redundancy and power level. Kings Defender has a cheaper, more effective analogue as does Demonfuse and as does Lance.

It would be like introducing a Paladin weapon that is 5 mana 4/2 with a chance to gain extra durability. Why would you use this over Truesilver GG?

Opiate

Yes, I feel he was unreasonably harsh on a few cards because the set so far has been underwhelming.

Savage combatant is a good card. Doesn't replace shredder in all likelihood, but is close, and if either beast druid or inspire druid ever becomes a thing, it will be a core card for either of those decks.

I also think he sort of glossed over how the 2/1 charge could sometimes replace wolfrider in some face decks. There are two face decks of note right now: eboladin and face hunter. Wolf rider is still likely better for face hunter, but the 2/1 charge is very likely to be better for eboladin because of blessing of might and kings. That's significant.

Turn one Coin + Innervate + Savage Combatant could end up being the most insane Druid opening.

Three damage hero power can kill a ton of stuff in the early game and lets you deal 5 damage to the face every turn too.

Don't forget that Savage Combatant, with something like Garrison Commander, allows Druids to attack for six damage in one turn. While it probably won't happen often, I think that's the kind of synergy late game that might put Inspire cards ahead. I guess the issue is just getting there reliably.

Santiako

I feel like all these card reviews are way too early. All it takes for inspire to be playable is a few well costed cards with battlecry: activate your hero power or something similar.

ViviOggi

I feel like all these card reviews are way too early. All it takes for inspire to be playable is a few well costed cards with battlecry: activate your hero power or something similar.
It is known. But we can only discuss what we've seen in the meta we know, and speculating is half of the fun.

Pooya

Face Paladin is now tier 1 right behind patron in meta snapshot, what a jump. well deserved /s

I play it all the time for ladder...

ViviOggi

Legendary day on EU still going folks, about half of the decks I faced since yesterday afternoon had at least one legendary, had a Rogue draft with Gruul myself and just pulled a Dr. B in Priest

Get your drafts in but don't touch them till tomorrow

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom