• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT4| The warsong has ended, please patron other decks

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZZMitch

That feeling when you draw Mindgames in Tavern Brawl, am sad, and then realize that you killed a Malorne earlier in the game.

"Thank you."

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Pretty sure nearly every 2 drop introduced so far has been a nerf to shredder.

Benefit To Shredder:
Totem Golem, Fallen Hero, Garrison Commander

Nerf to Shredder:
Argent Watchman, Panther Rider

Meh to Shredder:
Flame Juggler

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
I haven't been able to play on my phone since the patch. Before it gets to the login screen it force closes ( Android on an HTC One M8). Any technically minded gaffers, have an idea what could be causing this? It ran fine last patch, and has been great since the phone release.

Opiate

Really strong card for druid. Offers all sorts of potential benefits.

I want to see Druid play Ancient Watcher, Panther Rider, and Zombie chow along with Waling Soul.

Raxus

Really strong card for druid. Offers all sorts of potential benefits.

I want to see Druid play Ancient Watcher, Panther Rider, and Zombie chow along with Waling Soul.

Add in a use for the mark of the wild and you can actually build a good early game for druid for once.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Those are two cards I think will be pretty viable.

I wonder if you hero power being a spell allows it to be affected by cards that make spells cheaper. If so, Double Sourcers Apprentice + Coldarra Drake is an instant win.

I know the card isn't real, but that pink lady needs to put on some pants.

While it would be a cool card to have considering having your hero power be a spell, it probably ventures into the 'too complicated' territory. Manhack's post is a good example of why, too many things that go on with it. Which to me is a bit sad because I feel like it could make some awesome decks.

So I wanna go and buy Naxxramus expansion today.

Is there a cheapest way of going about it? Through amazon coins or anything?

Or should I just go ahead and fork up the $25 bucks through the app?

I've given up hope of them having some kind of discount for the expansions cause of TGT.

I really like Darnassus Panther Rider. Actually gives Druid something to play in the early game that isn't Shade or something Innervated out. Lot of potential there.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Is there a cheapest way of going about it? Through amazon coins or anything?

Or should I just go ahead and fork up the $25 bucks through the app?

Buying coins is cheaper. Coins are 20% off if you buy them as $50 worth or more. So you could essentially get both Naxx and BRM for $40. You get discounts at smaller amounts too but not as much.

Parshias7

The Druid card is real good and will most probably see play. The other card will not see play
because it doesn't exist.

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
I really like Darnassus Panther Rider. Actually gives Druid something to play in the early game that isn't Shade or something Innervated out. Lot of potential there.

Yeah but what do you even cut for Darnassus in the two types of deck we have for druid right now? Also guys i'm really hyped for the new class legendaries in this expansion, i'm pretty sure they are gonna have unique mechanics if GVG was any indication.

Xanathus

Yeah but what do you even cut for Darnassus in the two types of deck we have for druid right now? Also guys i'm really hyped for the new class legendaries in this expansion, i'm pretty sure they are gonna have unique mechanics if GVG was any indication.

I don't think Darnassus would be played in typical combo or ramp Druid, but I can see it fitting in very well in token Druid.

Dahbomb

New card: Darnassus Panther Rider

02fa23d5b76e74ead4c75aaa2ec0db2e.png

2 mana 2/3 druid card
Battlecry: Gain an empty mana crystal
Deathrattle: Destroy a mana crystal

Interesting I guess? If it pops out of a Shredder you'll be sad.
Interesting card even if it might not see play.

At least it's not a strictly worse card than something already in the game.

Ok, so I posted a couple days ago about how I just got back into the game since playing for a month or two when it first came out, and I really only planned on playing Arena and not ranked. My decks/card pool is so out of date right now however, that I keep getting my ass kicked even in non-ranked play (outside of that random Brawl deck, which is how I've been playing for the most part outside of several failed Arena runs). I just used the Amazon deal to buy 50.00 worth of coins. My question is:

Being pretty new to the game (basically no Goblins Vs. Gnomes cards, an ok amount of classic cards) do I use the amazon coins to pre-order TGT, buy a bunch of Goblins Vs. Gnomes, buy the two single player expansions, or do I just save it all for Arena and hope that I get good enough soon to start going infinite (I've been playing for a week again and so far the highest I've gotten was 4-3). I'm still not SUPER interested in Ranked play, but I can't even compete in non-ranked and that's just no fun.

ViviOggi

Early game it's a better version of thatbear robot thing since it has quasi-taunt, so yeah it's decent against aggro. Still it's just a 2/3 that comes out a turn later than Chow, and if you coin it out you a) waste the coin and b) need specifically Shade to follow it up on curve.

lol I missed the old thread getting closed and forgot to sub to the new one, shows how much I look in Community.

Wilfred Fizzlebang is hilarious

ViviOggi

Ok, so I posted a couple days ago about how I just got back into the game since playing for a month or two when it first came out, and I really only planned on playing Arena and not ranked. My decks/card pool is so out of date right now however, that I keep getting my ass kicked even in non-ranked play (outside of that random Brawl deck, which is how I've been playing for the most part outside of several failed Arena runs). I just used the Amazon deal to buy 50.00 worth of coins. My question is:

Being pretty new to the game (basically no Goblins Vs. Gnomes cards, an ok amount of classic cards) do I use the amazon coins to pre-order TGT, buy a bunch of Goblins Vs. Gnomes, buy the two single player expansions, or do I just save it all for Arena and hope that I get good enough soon to start going infinite (I've been playing for a week again and so far the highest I've gotten was 4-3). I'm still not SUPER interested in Ranked play, but I can't even compete in non-ranked and that's just no fun.
Naxx > BRM > anything else. Absolutely do not preorder TGT, we haven't seen a single must-have card yet and it's not that good of a deal in the first place. Paying $ for arena feels iffy to me since, again, going infinite w/ dailies isn't too hard. If I were you I'd just wait until TGT is out.

Xanathus

Buy the expansions first and foremost. DO NOT PREORDER TGT. Probably spend the remainder on arena if you can get at least 4+ wins average.

ViviOggi

Also note that casual constructed hardly differs from ranked. People netdeck in both and casual's matchmaking is even more pointless than the haphazard ranked system we're still stuck with.

Raxus

Naxx > BRM > anything else. Absolutely do not preorder TGT, we haven't seen a single must-have card yet and it's not that good of a deal in the first place. Paying $ for arena feels iffy to me since, again, going infinite w/ dailies isn't too hard. If I were you I'd just wait until TGT is out.

Depends the class you like to play. The new druid card is excellent and I will not hear another word otherwise. Priest has gotten some great neutrals. And mage has some interesting cards. We just haven't gotten a Dr. Boom tier card yet.

Thanks for the quick replies, fellow Gaffers! I'll be buying the single player expansions and saving the rest for Arena (once I run out of gold. I'm at 300 right now and just started a fresh run. Let's see where it takes me!) Shame to hear the new expansion seems underwhelming so far.

Also, are card backs super easy to get? Every single person I've played against has something besides the regular card back. Every SINGLE person! Is there like a really simple one to get?

Xanathus

I actually think that people who do not have a mostly complete collection should not buy a single TGT pack because it's getting very obvious that this is going to be a "dud" expansion filled with junk cards that is meant to reduce the chances of you getting good cards out of the packs and arena runs. This means that in order to get the good cards you need to spend more time/money on packs and arena especially for new players who don't have the good cards from classic and GVG. There's a comment on reddit which perfectly explains what Blizzard is doing to make more money:

https://www.reddit.com/r/hearthston...on_why_tcgs_introduce_subpar_cards_an/ctow20u
Okay, so this misconception regarding what Hearthstone is needs to be cleared up, as more and more people come into the game because warped expectations ultimately harm the relationship between consumer and developer, so facts need to be set straight.
The reason for printing bad cards, and ultimately more cards, is unabashedly to artificially raise the price of playing the card game. For if all the cards were almost perfectly balanced, then it actually becomes easier for players to create a competitive deck and so they spend less, whereas if there are only a few rare power house cards, then more card packs will be purchased.
David Sirlin responded with a pretty compelling counter argument on his blog post "Balancing Multiplayer Games Part 2: Viable Options"[1] :
MTG’s Mark Rosewater defends the intentional inclusion of bad cards for design reasons, but really it's entirely marketing driven. Their business is to put a collectable barrier between you and the the cards you want so as to sell more packs of those cards. That means mountains of chaff cards are inventible. I think even one single chaff card is a problem that would ideally be fixed, but Rosewater claims that bad cards are ok because they:
a) allow for interesting experimental mechanics that might end up being bad
b) test valuation skills because if all cards were equally good, there’d be less strategy
c) give new players the joy of discovering that certain cards are bad, as a stepping stone to learning the game
d) are necessary because even if they came out with a set that consisted entirely of known good cards from old sets, there’d still be only 8 tournament viable decks and the rest of the cards would not be used.
The solution to this problem is clear if we only cared about design and not rip-off marketing: print fewer cards. Reason a) is a great one, experimental cards that end up accidentally bad are fine. Reasons b) and c) are just silly. Saying the game would not have enough strategy if bad cards were removed is an insult to Mark’s own game. Saying that new players need to discover the intentionally bad cards is even more silly because this comes at the cost of making sets overwhelming to new players and needlessly unwieldy for expert players. We all know the real reasoning here is to make players buy more random packs of cards to get at the few good ones.
Finally, reason d) is a blatant admission that the game should have fewer cards. Ironically, I’m not even sure d) is true. Maybe printing a large set of all good cards really would lead to more viable tournament decks than the game currently supports. If not though, they should stop printing all that chaff.
I highly recommend reading the entirety of Sirlin's blog posts[2] about balance design, because he comes from a mostly fighting based and some CCG experience, the former genre where balance is extremely hard and important to tackle.
The point ultimately is that from a pure design and balance standpoint, the developers should have fewer cards, and Hearthstone should have fewer well balanced cards. That is not their business model because their business model revolves around getting players to buy card packs. The game should look closer to Killer Instinct with the sparse but very well balanced and fun characters rather than say Marvel vs Capcom or Street Fighter's earlier titles with nearly 50+ characters.
I admire Mark Rosewater and read through nearly all of his excellent five star articles "Making Magic" series[3] but even I see through the ruse - bad cards are designed to get you to search for the 'rarer' cards which get you to buy more cards.
Now there's nothing really wrong with this system honestly, as long as people are perfectly clear on the relationship, but don't defend 'designing bad cards' as a 'design goal', when really is financially driven. Arguing otherwise just confuses your expectations and everyone else's expectations.
This is further compounded by Hearthstone's problem as a purely Digital Card game. Ultimately, you don't own any of the cards in the game. You don't get to take them home with you, and use them like you see fit, unlike in Magic where you get a physical copy. If you get banned from Hearthstone, you lose all the cards. Everything is on the system. You simply pay a 'psuedo rent' to use parts of the system.
Hearthstone is a video game that happens to have cards in it - or units which you buy in order to play the game. Treat it as such. Value it as such.
In order for Hearthstone to improve in this aspect they need:
1) To embrace restricted formats like Magic - because it just becomes an impossible challenge to balance a 1000+ cards in a competitive format.
2) Create far more ways to play with the cards. Current philosophy seems to be that you need to have the right cards to have fun, when the philosophy of the dev team should be having any cards allow you to have fun. Tavern Brawl is an excellent small step, but there needs to be so much more, including custom ladders for a start.
However, even now Hearthstone is STILL in its infancy. Death Knight and Monk haven't even been released yet, and Hearthstone still have under 1000 cards, in addition to many mechanics unexplored. Give it time, and this should sort itself out.
Hopefully.

I think cards like the latest druid one are cool. There are all kinds of neat new tricks you can do with those effects. While it is debatable where and when a card like this should and could be used, I think more cards as innovative as this one would be great.

Raxus

Thanks for the quick replies, fellow Gaffers! I'll be buying the single player expansions and saving the rest for Arena (once I run out of gold. I'm at 300 right now and just started a fresh run. Let's see where it takes me!) Shame to hear the new expansion seems underwhelming so far.

Also, are card backs super easy to get? Every single person I've played against has something besides the regular card back. Every SINGLE person! Is there like a really simple one to get?

The monthly ones are easy. Just reach rank 20. Keep in mind you can't lose stars for rank 25-21. The other card backs are, sadly, much more involved or impossible to get (like Golden Week).

I actually think that people who do not have a mostly complete collection should not buy a single TGT pack because it's getting very obvious that this is going to be a "dud" expansion filled with junk cards that is meant to reduce the chances of you getting good cards out of the packs and arena runs. This means that in order to get the good cards you need to spend more time/money on packs and arena especially for new players who don't have the good cards from classic and GVG. There's a comment on reddit which perfectly explains what Blizzard is doing to make more money:

https://www.reddit.com/r/hearthston...on_why_tcgs_introduce_subpar_cards_an/ctow20u

We've seen like less than a third of the cards, though.

Of course, reddit never exaggerates or jumps to conclusions

Xanathus

You get a card back at the start of each month if you reach rank 20 on ranked ladder, you should try because it's not hard to do especially close to the end of the month. There's also a Samsung Galaxy card back you can get if you use an Android emulator to mimic a Samsung Galaxy S6 (look it up). There's also a Heroes of the Storm card back by having a level 12(?) account. And you get card backs as preorder bonuses from Blizzard's games and expansions.

Pooya

New players should not touch TGT in any case, good or bad cards you need classic cards to make a deck to begin with. Whatever else that comes after builds on top of those, those are deck enablers. You can't play Druid without Druid's classic cards, having this 2 drop doesn't mean anything there.

Then you should get the expansions, they include must have cards, they give you pretty good bang for your buck compared with card sets like 50 pack for TGT will and you get some fun well produced boss fights to play.

I greatly prefer adventure modes, next one should come out before March I think. More excited for that now than TGT lol.

I want to see mage legendary so bad. Antonidas is cool and all but it's just a finisher, Mage didn't get a legendary in GvG unlike other classes and it's really time to introduce a card that could enable new plays. Hopefully it's a low mana card too. Nothing above 6. That goes for all classes, so far TGT legendary cards have been good for that. We don't really need any more 8/9 drops here.

Also Druid has Cenarius and Malorne, so I guess third one is either Elune (how would that work?) or probably Tyrande.

CoolOff

These French guys.

Warlock 2 mana 4/3.

Wrathguard.

"Whenever this minion takes damage, deal the same to your hero"

Demon.

Kind of cool. It's lIke a delayed Flame Imp in that in most cases it'll take 3 damage. Good target for Power Overwhelming and/or Void Terror since those will kill it without it taking damage. Hurts late game though since big minions hitting also hit the player.

I'm just waiting for Warlocks to get Demonic Commander - Give your Demons Charge. Then we'll see who gets the last laugh with Demonfuse!

Cat Party

GvG is full of junk cards. Only about a third of the cards in Naxx and BRM see use. You've seen only a fraction of TGT. Get some perspective.

Pooya

Flame Imp is a better card, it has synergy with floating watcher as you play it. This one you actually have to have on board first then hit a minion with to activate a watcher.

Flame Imp can deal only 3 damage to you, this one can deal anything. If it's removed by a fireball for example, you get hit 6 in the face too. It makes cheap early removals like flame cannon better as they deal 4 damage to face too.

Late game the card is complete trash, needless to say getting flame imp from voidcaller or bane of doom has no penalty, but this one can be game ruining. All of this for getting a 4/3? really not worth the trouble.

Gotchaye

At 3/4 it would be a phenomenal Arena pick. 4/3 is probably fine given the increased popularity of 2/3s in the Shielded Minibot meta. Not Flame Imp good but probably still good.

G.ZZZ

Should've had 4 health. At 3 the drawback is a bit too steep, but could still see play in some super aggro warlock deck.

The druid card is insane.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom