• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT4| The warsong has ended, please patron other decks

Status
Not open for further replies.

bidguy

Banned
this fucking game is rage inducing i swear to god one of these days im gonna snap

10 fucking 2 mana minions and NOT A SINGLE ONE in my starting hand 3 games in a row. arena is purposely trying to screw with me

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Suddenly people will be thinking alot more about what kind of decks they are playing and not just go for the fastest deck that lets them play a ton of games in the quickest timeframe.

This already happens at Rank 5.

Lumine

Bah I just can't seem to get (midrange/totem) Shaman to work. :( It seems fun, but it just does too badly against paladin, zoolock and more. It seems to slaughter Grim Patron though surprisingly.

Anyway it looks like the meta has grown completely stale again. Has this ever happened so fast after an expansion? Usually it seems decks and the meta change and shift for several weeks, if not for a few months, after an expansion with some new decks rising to the top. So far only Paladin seems to have gotten something out of TGT.
I'm thinking if the meta stays like this, Blizzard really needs to re-balance the game. Waiting 'till the next expansion just to add some "powercreep" is likely too slow and might not even have enough impact again.

Current cards that need some (light) tweaking in my opinion:
- Knife Juggler (This card has been in any low curve/minion heavy/zoo-like deck since beta. And it's probably still one of the strongest cards, if not the, in those decks. Changing it to only work with minions that are directly played from hand seems like an appropriate nerf. Or just change it to a 2/2 so that it still combo's like it used to but isn't a default pick for every deck.)
- Shielded Minibot (Not sure how to balance this. Maybe turn it into a 2/1. In practice it'll often be just as good but ever so often so you can get rid of it with a single damage after you remove the divine shield.)
- Implosion (Blizzard already added way too much extra RNG on top of the game, but this one takes the cake. Either reduce the randomness or make it weaker. It's too much now (especially combined with a Knife Juggler.))
- Mad Scientist (The king among the overpowered cards. Getting a completely free secret that is instantly played into the game on top of your 2/2 for 2 is way more powerful than anything in the game. It's game-breaking strong. I do realize that nerfing Mad Scientist might mean we won't see secrets in the meta anymore. However I'd prefer that than leave Mad Scientist in its current game-breaking state. Have secrets go into hand or at least lower its stats.)
- Dr. Boom (Honestly compared to the aforementioned this one bothers me the least. Not sure how to nerf it anyway, except for taking out some of the randomness of the bots I suppose.)
- Piloted Shredder (When a single card has become the default 4-drop in nearly every other deck taking precedence over most class cards even you know it's a bit too good. The extra amount of randomness on the card isn't particularly fun either. Once again, less random and/or lower its stats.)
- Warsong Commander (Nerfed already once and probably shouldn't be on this list by itself. However nerfing the card so that Frothing Berserker doesn't keep its charge beyond 3 attack seems to be the most obvious way to take out the OTK without destroying the deck completely.)
- Big Game Hunter (I'm not sure how popular this card is currently because the meta is so damn fast, but usually it's a little too much. Takes the fun out of trying slower decks as it's such a hard counter. Lower stats at least.)

- A couple more that are kind of the edge (but probably shouldn't be nerfed just yet): Savanna Highmane, Fireball, Muster for Battle, Tiron Fordring, Blade Flurry, Imp Gang Boss, Doomguard, Alexstrasza, Death's Bite, Azure Drake, Mysterious Challenger

I also think some cards could use a little buff. I realize that Blizzard would rather not open that can of worms, but I can't help but think that some cards fall just short. For example I've been trying Beast Druid and while it's not too bad, I've not been able to make it great either. There's already very little synergy and plenty of the cards just aren't good enough on their own.

Anyway, sorry for the rant. I just had to get this out of my system after consistently losing with experimental decks. :p
I don't think Blizzard should go nerf a whole bunch of cards right away as some sort of knee-jerk reaction though. I do however hope they address some of these cards I mentioned above if the meta stays the same in the next few months. Otherwise I'm sure my enjoyment of the game will plummet very quickly.

What do you guys think? Am I too harsh on the cards I named? Am I missing some? Do we want less RNG?

Lumine

Do you want all cards to be the same?

No, quite the contrary. I'm hoping that (slightly) nerfing certain cards opens up the meta a bit so we can see a larger variety of decks competing with each other. I'd also love to see some new mechanics in upcoming expansions.

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
Savjz is playing malygos shaman, i faced a dude last week with the similar deck and i'm so envious since i don't have the cards for it. Now that is a deck i want to see more in the meta because the concept is so cool, too bad it's probably too inconsistent to be a tier 1 deck.

Pooya

Can the brawls get any lazier? wow, so just play zoo or variations ok somuchfun /s

edit: Mal'Ganis and Doomguard out of one Voidcaller, ez game ez life. 40 dust get

Ladekabel

It's maybe worth mentioning that Baron Rivendare doesn't seem to work in this brawl. At least it didn't summon more than 2 Thaddeus for me.

It's maybe worth mentioning that Baron Rivendare doesn't seem to work in this brawl. At least it didn't summon more than 2 Thaddeus for me.

Baron Rivendare has always been like that. If you copy a Baron Rivendare with Faceless Manipulator, you still only get 2 deathrattles. His card text says that your minions trigger their deathrattles twice.

Pooya

Face or Hybrid Hunter is very good here, Leper Gnomes deal 4 damage each, Mad Scientist plays two secrets. Highmane leaves 4 2/2s etc. Not much changing needed. Just add eggs I guess.

CRAZY RULES, so much fun /s

Lumine

Yup, I went Hunter. It worked very well. :p (Mad Scientists, Loot Hoarders, Haunted Creepers, Leper Gnomes, Webspinners, Harvest Golems, Lil' Exorcists, Piloted Shredders, Sludge Belchers, Highmanes, Sylvanas, lots of secrets, Feign Death and a Mekgineer Thermaplugg for the hell of it. :p)

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I was sooo close to having a sick play in arena.

Br8CMPf.png

Took me a second to realize the otherwise dead bestial wrath was finally able to do something...but if he didn't have the nova I had lethal outta nowhere. Fuck dr. boom.

Alright, I'll say it: I think Justicar should be nerfed with Warrior to only give 3 armor. Getting 4 per turn (on top of their other ample armor gain) is just too insane.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Is there some paladin law that ensures they always start with a Shielded Minibot in hand?

dimb

Yes. Minibot, Zombie Chow, Mana Wyrm, Cogmaster, Flame Imp and Fiery War Axe will always be in hand or topdicked at the first draw.
Minibot is the only one of these that I find truly annoying because the removal requirement is so much higher.

greepoman

Br8CMPf.png

Took me a second to realize the otherwise dead bestial wrath was finally able to do something...but if he didn't have the nova I had lethal outta nowhere. Fuck dr. boom.

You didn't concede though did you? Aprentice-> boar->bestial into 4/2 and then fireball ping Dr boom . then he needs 3 to kill you 2nd you have a 4/2 and two 5/5's on the board.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Is it just me, or does building decks for the brawl on phones not work?

Oh well, I guess it can wait.

edit: turns out just need a better connection.

Phawx

Shaman is super nasty in the new brawl. Practically instawon that 40 dust

Anyone ever get anything good from a brawl pack?

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
You didn't concede though did you? Aprentice-> boar->bestial into 4/2 and then fireball ping Dr boom . then he needs 3 to kill you 2nd you have a 4/2 and two 5/5's on the board.

Yeah I didn't concede, I killed off boom but in the end I still lost(he had double fireball).

dimb

I stopped running BGH in my control warrior deck for now. Just seems completely useless in this meta, and I hate using it against Dr. Boom. It might as well be a dead card vs. most of what's being played right now.
Edit: Nevermind. Misread it.

LiveWire

Br8CMPf.png

Didn't you have lethal there? Apprentice for two, poly for 2, bestial for 0, champion for 4, fireball for 3?

4+2 x 2 = 12+6 = 18 ? Am I missing something?

EDIT: Ah nevermind 11 mana....sucks! :(

sibarraz

Banned
I had a funny match against a Hunter

I was dragon priest and I only was cleaning his board since from turn 2 I knew that he had that secret that puts a bear. overall was an intense match, he maanged to use his houndmaster 2 times, ram wrangler gave him decent beasts, and he had his weapon with 3 stocks, even he managed to bullshit me with animal companion with huffer.

The thing is that in the end, I managed to had a full board on my side, but only 3 points of life, and he had zero cards in his hand. When he draws his card, he instantly emotes "Sorry" And I already thought that he draw a fucking kill command/quick shot/unleash the hounds/Weapon/ or any bullshit that hunter has and is world famous for always drawing in the worst moment. The thing is, that he was teasing the card for the whole turn, yet never played it, in the end was a scavenging hyena. a fucking card that I hadn't seen in a long as time.

It was funny, specially when I realized that in this long game, he never played any of those cards that I was fearing the most.

Later I played another hunter that also played scavenging hyena but I lost since he draw a acidmaw and then he powershot me, killing any chance of winning, has a top player been playing with a beast deck that everyone is suddenly trying scavenging hyena and starving buzzard again?

Owzers

won my first brawl hunter vs hunter. I pulled off a great feign death usage :) Minions everywhere, that nebula egg won me the game.

i was almost going to dust Feign Death too since i need dust badly.

Took the low road and made a disgusting face hunter full of death rattles and secrets. I think the only 3 drop I had was Arcane Golem. One first try with ease against a paladin. Picked up the classic pack. two rares (I had both) and a legendary I didn't have (Illidan Stormrage) FeelsGoodMan. I have not been afflicted with the curse of Scamaz.

Fixed1979

Back to back Arena games against double murloc knight which summons another murloc knight...fucking brutal. No idea how you're suppose to out-tempo or even deal with that unless you're way ahead.

Owzers

Took the low road and made a disgusting face hunter full of death rattles and secrets. I think the only 3 drop I had was Arcane Golem. One first try with ease against a paladin. Picked up the classic pack. two rares (I had both) and a legendary I didn't have (Illidan Stormrage) FeelsGoodMan. I have not been afflicted with the curse of Scamaz.

I think i am going to start hating this game with only getting standard packs.

Haha, playing Baron Rivendare in this brawl is really funny, not because it combines with the brawl effect but because it doesn't. I've run into a few guys who turned 100% of their attention to it.

VanCleef is pretty good.

Of course, you really need Preparation to make him work, like pretty much anything Rogue related.

The best uses of Van Cleef I've ever seen came from Mages pulling him out of Unbalanced Portal. Bullshit like turn 1 Coin, Esportal, Van Cleef for a 6/6 or turn 5 Flamewaker, Apprentice, Coin, Esportal, Van Cleef for a 2/4 priority target and a 10/10. It's still a good Rogue card, it's just not commonly seen anymore.

The best uses of Van Cleef I've ever seen came from Mages pulling him out of Unbalanced Portal. Bullshit like turn 1 Coin, Esportal, Van Cleef for a 6/6 or turn 5 Flamewaker, Apprentice, Coin, Esportal, Van Cleef for a 2/4 priority target and a 10/10. It's still a good Rogue card, it's just not commonly seen anymore.

Well yes a 0 mana VanCleef is in fact incredibly broken, whodda thunk

When hard removal was very common, van cleef was pretty crappy. Nowadays, van cleef is actually pretty decent. But the list that runs him has to give other cards up so not always used. I like a double healbot list with van cleef because those heals give you time to get super big value out of blade flurry and van cleef.

But I guess with decks really curving out consistently now you might want to cut him for a more consistent curve yourself. I've looked at a few lists running double ERF, and instead of healbot running sludge belcher. Probably a good list in this meta.

But why do you have to spent time grinding to rank 5 before getting interesting matches. There is nothing good about the current ranking system.

I can assure you that the higher you rank up, the more homogenized and less varied the decks become. They don't become more interesting, very often at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom