• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT4| The warsong has ended, please patron other decks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zukuu

Banned
So I bought a pack with the gold I got from the brawl quest and got a Mal'Ganis. So I went to make a Warlock deck, since I've been wanting to play with it for a while, but was missing that card (and Lord Jaraxxus).

Turns out I ended up with a zoo deck without it, but I quite like it. Fist of Jaraxxus is actually pretty good.
No. It isn't.

ViviOggi

I see. well, as epics I wanted to disenchant spellbender, clockwork giant and gladiator's longbow. maybe recruiter too.

from what I've seen however he doesn't fit in any deck I'd like to use. to be honest I've only seen him being played in some control warrior decks.
I'd keep Spellbender but yeah the others are garbage
until they print Mad Weaponsmith

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
from what I've seen however he doesn't fit in any deck I'd like to use. to be honest I've only seen him being played in some control warrior decks.
Even if it's not in a deck right you use right now it's a card that will always have uses because of its power. He's actually just generally a strong card with how many Paladins there are on the ladder right now.

Dreavus

It'll be interesting to see if they ever move to different "formats" where only more recent cards/sets are allowed. It kind of feels like they need to do something like that within the next set or two.

Comparing to MTG, where sets are made with drafting in mind (including functional reprints), arena is going to get very bloated if they continue adding more and more to the card pool. I know they up the chances for new stuff to appear but if you do that every time, everything that's not in the latest set will become super inconsistent.

Loomba

Did you already have one of each totem on the board?

wow I did yeah, huh.

Thanks didn't know about that.

Does that mean if I have a taunt totem on board and I hero power, I can't get another taunt totem? and the same with the others gotten from hero power?

tylerf

Just had a priest use Velen's on my Murloc Knight to enable SW:D. I love that a common card has Antonidas level removal priority.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
wow I did yeah, huh.

Thanks didn't know about that.

Does that mean if I have a taunt totem on board and I hero power, I can't get another taunt totem? and the same with the others gotten from hero power?

Yeah, you can only have one of each totem and they actually make the hero power unclickable. It's good to know though in the case where you have something like a 1/1 and a taunt but need spell, it's a 50/50.

Unless you have Justicar, since you can then do the same totem every turn.

sibarraz

Banned
Just had a priest use Velen's on my Murloc Knight to enable SW:D. I love that a common card has Antonidas level removal priority.

The Problem with murloc is that unless you had Lightbomb, if you had zero board presence you had no way to remove his board, And if he played a justicar before is practically gg

3 legendaries, 12 wins

joDCswX.jpg

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Patron is way harder to play than face Hunter in its prime, mech anything, and a bunch of other decks. For being so powerful it's one of the decks I see the least on ladder because most people just will never come to grips with playing it. While they can occasionally eke out easy wins that feel a little unfair the deck isn't just some bandwagon deck everyone can win on.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I don't understand what "fun" means in this case.

Paladin is easily one of the most boring classes in the game. Their Constructed gameplan is "play a lot of value cards", which is coincidentally exactly the same as their Arena gameplan.

There's no nuance there at all. Oh you play a lot of guys and you make the trades, whoop-dee-doo!

The only time I ever had fun with the class is when I was playing HobGobDin.

Ladekabel

Well, I guess I'd rather have fun than win, that's why I have legitimately never played Face Hunter, Patron Warrior, or Mech Mage. In the end I have to suck it up that people are flavor of the month year gluttons that I must lose to 80% of the time.

Patron isn't an auto win and actually fun to play, even if you suck at it like I do.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
My suggestion in response to the Ben Brode video:

Increase price on new heroes 5 (?) dollars, in a bundle with constructed starter decks of cards. Midrange hunter, mech mage, etc. New players can buy these and get an instant, moderately viable deck. Also, lower the base price on heroes only to 5 dollars because that price point is dogshit.

clav

Well, I guess I'd rather have fun than win, that's why I have legitimately never played Face Hunter, Patron Warrior, or Mech Mage. In the end I have to suck it up that people are flavor of the month year gluttons that I must lose to 80% of the time.

Whoa. Are you implying Patron Warrior is just as easy as Face Hunter?

Play it.

Patron isn't an auto win and actually fun to play, even if you suck at it like I do.

Yes.

Patron is way harder to play than face Hunter in its prime, mech anything, and a bunch of other decks. For being so powerful it's one of the decks I see the least on ladder because most people just will never come to grips with playing it. While they can occasionally eke out easy wins that feel a little unfair the deck isn't just some bandwagon deck everyone can win on.

Indeed.

I don't understand what "fun" means in this case.

Paladin is easily one of the most boring classes in the game. Their Constructed gameplan is "play a lot of value cards", which is coincidentally exactly the same as their Arena gameplan.

There's no nuance there at all. Oh you play a lot of guys and you make the trades, whoop-dee-doo!

The only time I ever had fun with the class is when I was playing HobGobDin.

Yeah. I played Paladin before and hated Patron and Oil Rogue because I would get rekt.

Now, I don't hate Patron since I've been trying to ladder with it.

Lupercal

Banned
Just ended my best arena run 8-3, I was going great with 8-1 but then my Spellslinger gave my 8-2 opponent a Flamestrike to clear my board and wrecked me. 8-3 was when Spellslinger gave my opponent a Pyroblast for the win.

Damn you RNGesus.

Papercuts

Drafted a pretty assy pally arena but got 2 murloc knights...and holy shit, the carry. Card is disgusting in this format.

Santiako

Yeah, yesterday I was 10-0 with my mage arena deck (my best run so far) and then lost 3 times in a row to paladins with multiple murloc knights each. That card is simply disgusting at common.

FeD.nL

Increase price on new heroes 5 (?) dollars, in a bundle with constructed starter decks of cards. Midrange hunter, mech mage, etc. New players can buy these and get an instant, moderately viable deck. Also, lower the base price on heroes only to 5 dollars because that price point is dogshit.

Exactly. I was really hoping this was what they would be doing with them. Could even have had them fit the flavor of the hero, Magni being a dwarf so make it a control warrior starter deck etc. Ah well Blizzard probably has something planned for the problem.

Dreavus

This is a really cool idea. Throw them some packs also to expand on the starter decks too.

Xanathus

A caster mentioned during a tourney stream that Patron actually doesn't have the highest win-rate in tourneys. That caster might have been Monk though so it could be completely bogus EleGiggle

Zukuu

Banned
Sure it is. Not everyone is looking to play only with cards that are tournament viable. A lot of us play to create our own crazy decks and have fun. For people like us, it's a fun card.
You said it's a good card, not it's a fun card. I agree that it is a fun card, but it's just flat out bad (currently). I even tried to make it work, and even in a dedicated discard warlock deck, it's pretty mediocre at best. RANDOM discard for a RANDOM target effect, is one random too much. Plus, it's nigh unplayable without being discarded. I dunno why they couldn't just make it 3 mana or 5 damage or something.

sibarraz

Banned
I don't get this relation that top deck =/= fun At least I had more fun with constructed decks that still require a good knowledge of the current meta to make it work that a gimmick deck where I only had fun 1/10 times since the other 9 times I'm never capable of pulling the ridiculous conditions to make it work

Even a deck like face hunter requires some thinking when facing some matchups, from my experience isn't as braindead as drop the card that has the same value that your avaliable mana pool and SMOrc. Most of the time you will win thanks to a top deck but well, others times you will lose thanks to a antique healboat or a well placed taunt

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
removing cards, wat? why would you do that? to make them free? How you can choose those cards exactly without breaking anything in the non legacy play mode?

It would work essentially like the Standard format in Magic. Magic has a basic "core set" and block expansions. In the Standard format, you can build a deck from the core set and the 2 latest block expansions. So, Hearthstone could rework the Classic set into a new "core" set with existing Classic and GvG cards, and then have a couple expansions on the side. Then for certain old cards they could restrict them to a legacy format and remove them from the standard card pool. This keeps the available card pool manageable for new players while still giving some value to old cards.

Pooya

A caster mentioned during a tourney stream that Patron actually doesn't have the highest win-rate in tourneys. That caster might have been Monk though so it could be completely bogus EleGiggle

I think it was during ValueTown podcast? One of the guests said Blizzard saying patron has like 40 percent winrate on ladder.

Santiako

Another thing I'd like them to do at some point is introduce an alternative hero power for each class that you choose during deck creation, to allow for some variety in viability of play styles. Right now, for example, control hunter can never be a thing if their power is just SMOrc for 2 (or face warrior or shaman anything).

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Created an anti aggro warrior deck and not face an aggro deck in 10 games

What is this game?

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
It would work essentially like the Standard format in Magic. Magic has a basic "core set" and block expansions. In the Standard format, you can build a deck from the core set and the 2 latest block expansions. So, Hearthstone could rework the Classic set into a new "core" set with existing Classic and GvG cards, and then have a couple expansions on the side. Then for certain old cards they could restrict them to a legacy format and remove them from the standard card pool. This keeps the available card pool manageable for new players while still giving some value to old cards.

No thanks. Combining sets or whatever is fine but I have no interest in any kind of ban list or periodic obsolescence of old cards.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Sod's law haha

You using Savjz taunt warrior? It looks really fun I might make it

No its a warrior with loads of removal and "some" late game, its a list I made myself in order to get to late game then justicar and sneeds/ysera win the game

But all i face is priest and druid, not even patron

Its still doing fine but literally 0 aggro

ZealousD

No thanks. Combining sets or whatever is fine but I have no interest in any kind of ban list or periodic obsolescence of old cards.

Then all you are doing is increasing the barrier of entry for new players. The game needs a steady stream of fresh blood. The card pool cannot get out of control.

Cat Party

New players shouldn't have to grind for months or shell out $50 to get their Azure Drakes. Add a good chunk of those classic set cards to the basic set and new players will have a chance.

Papercuts

The Hunter deck I saw reckful playing the other day is pretty fun, shot up to rank 11 with it without losing a game. More midrange but has more of a beast focus with ram wranglers and bear trap/snake trap alongside some single copies of cards like tundra rhino and scavenging hyena.

RE: Ease of getting in, I am really surprised Naxx isn't free already since those cards are so damn vital to so many decks. While there's more issues than just that, having the full playerbase have access to stuff like creepers, belchers, loatheb, etc. would atleast do something.

New players shouldn't have to grind for months or shell out $50 to get their Azure Drakes. Add a good chunk of those classic set cards to the basic set and new players will have a chance.

I've said it before but by the next expansion it will have become too steep a slope for new players to get into the game and they will need to do something, the easiest would be making Naxx free.

ZealousD

Naxx should definitely become free in four months when the next adventure comes out. The question is what happens in 8 months when the next GvG/TGT level expansion comes out.

Ashodin

Right, but secretkeeper is a great turn 1 play for MC Paladin. What I'm saying is, if you don't have SK in your opening hand or only have secrets or whatever, you are much better off not playing a secret on turn 1.

The only thing they are doing is letting your opponent have a free chance at seeing what secret you are playing. Generally speaking, it's *always* avenge. It's just a bad play in my book. It just opens up this whole avenue of having the secret backfire on them by not playing into the secret.
THe only secret I ever play first turn is Competitive Spirit, with a Muster backing it up later.

Xanathus

Naxx should definitely become free in four months when the next adventure comes out. The question is what happens in 8 months when the next GvG/TGT level expansion comes out.

That will happen after they introduce arena token rewards to select which packs we want, and WoW becomes F2P.

Daunting is a good word to describe it because it actually isn't any harder for a new player to start now than it was back in the beginning. In fact, if anything it is slightly easier due to ladder rewards and tavern brawl being in the game now.

It is daunting because there are new cards, but once you get a handle on the fact that you only need select cards from each set, and even less than that to make specific decks... it really isn't even that difficult. It just seems difficult to someone who doesn't know.

As far as adventures go, they should allow people to craft the cards they need or let them unlock the wings in any order they choose.

ZealousD

WoW expansions become free after a time. There's no reason Hearthstone adventures can't become free.

Sure it is. Not everyone is looking to play only with cards that are tournament viable. A lot of us play to create our own crazy decks and have fun. For people like us, it's a fun card.

Actually the deck I was looking at was used in a tournament with some success and was running Jaraxxus Fist.

You said it's a good card, not it's a fun card. I agree that it is a fun card, but it's just flat out bad (currently). I even tried to make it work, and even in a dedicated discard warlock deck, it's pretty mediocre at best. RANDOM discard for a RANDOM target effect, is one random too much. Plus, it's nigh unplayable without being discarded. I dunno why they couldn't just make it 3 mana or 5 damage or something.

Well, it only works in zoo, when you vomit your hand very quickly, so it's guaranteed to be discarded by any of your effects. So you kinda have to build your deck around it. You can't just stick it in Handlock and expect it to work. I get to play it in most games without casting it and 8 damage for 1 mana or 9 damage to the face and a 5/7 for 6 is pretty sweet.

Another thing I'd like them to do at some point is introduce an alternative hero power for each class that you choose during deck creation, to allow for some variety in viability of play styles. Right now, for example, control hunter can never be a thing if their power is just SMOrc for 2 (or face warrior or shaman anything).

Alternate heroes should have different powers, but have access to the same card pool. It would dramatically increase the number of potential decks (and double testing time for Blizzard).

It's the only way. When the game reaches something like dozens of sets, it would be impossible for new players to enter the game at that point. The oldest sets have to exit the standard game at some point.

removing cards, wat? why would you do that? to make them free? How you can choose those cards exactly without breaking anything in the non legacy play mode?

You remove entire sets. The result is weaker decks overall for everyone, which usually results in longer games and a completely different meta.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom