• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT4| The warsong has ended, please patron other decks

Status
Not open for further replies.
12006715_967027246710498_9371921_o.jpg

Knife Juggler can be so satisfying

Freezard

11 wins with a deck where I picked value over curve. But who cares about not getting anything to play until turn 4 when you got all dem Murloc Knights?

KPPE1AY.jpg

Dahbomb

Should be a 4 Mana card with no cost reduction.

Maybe will be changed within 5 years.
That would make it the worst card in the game.

It really should be two mana reduction but the reason why its 3 is because you get a random minion. So technically its costed appropriately because the extra cost reduction is supposed to make up for the insane RNG factor on the card.

I just had one of my best games against priest in a while. I think I played really well considering the fact that I got neither of my 2 consecrations in my top 25 cards.

On the other hand, this priest...

In short, I set my board up to be immune to holy nova because he had northshire cleric on board and too many injured minions. But this guy... he plays a second northshire with 7 cards on his deck. Then he HEALS AND HOLY NOVAS. He does BOTH. Suddenly he is already taking 3 fatigue. My hp is still above 25 or something.

Next turn I just drop cards on the field, knowing he has to remove them, go face with weapon. If he didn't remove my recruits quartermaster fucks him, he knows that. I'm down to 16 with him having 8 damage on board.

33% chance to get consecration to pair equality. I get muster for battle... so I play it and hero power + quartermaster. That was a winning move because he has to remove the board if he can't do 9-10 damage from hand. So the board looks like this:

Note: He is already taking 5 fatigue damage at the beginning of his turn.

What does he do? He velen's + holy nova.

This puts him to like -13, or -23 or lower if he took his next turn's draw.

Sometimes you don't even have to win. Just give them enough rope and they hang themselves.

I wonder if when they decided to add silence to the game they thought it would be used to shut down powerful cards and not just taunts at turn 3 to go face harder

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Twice today an Unstable Portal has won my opponent the game.

Why can a 2 mana card outright win you the game? Who fucking knows.

Unstable Portal is the king of psychological traps in Hearthstone. Everybody wants to remember the times where portal gives a Turn 4 Dr. Boom but nobody remembers when something insubstantial pops out. The only reason it is played at all is because it is a cheap spell that triggers stuff like Flamewaker and it gets reduced by Sorcerer's Apprentice. In any other deck it is pointless.

Dahbomb

Any minion you get at 3 mana or above with Unstable Portal is not inconsequential. If the cost is reduced then even getting a 2 mana minion is value off of Portal.

There are WAY more 3 cost and above minions than 2 costs or lower minions. And even then, some 2 cost minions aren't even that bad to get for a 2 cost spell (or less).

Point is that Unstable Portal is far more likely to win you the game than lose you the game. Usually at worst the card you get is in fact inconsequential but you rarely lose a game solely because you got a Wisp off of the Portal (or a Majordormo). However, there are far more situations where Portal gives you a significant advantage to the point where it's a major contributor to you winning the game because of it.

Reynad was right about the card all along. Although not "90% chance to win the game" good.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
When Portal is being used properly it's pretty hard for it to have negative value. It's still a spell that combos with Antonidas, Flamewakers, and Sorcerer's Apprentice. Maybe the mana cost reduction won't be fully utilized but it's really hard for it to not give value.

ZealousD

I do not see how changing a card is any different from banning it and making a new one. I guess banning and making a new one sells more packs since it adds more cards to the game. Not sure how that would benefit players though.

Because in "changing" a card you are beholden to remaking it into a thematically similar card. If you "change" Implosion then you necessarily have to involve some number of Imps in the card's design. If you relegate the card to a legacy format then you aren't forced to create a thematically similar card. And it's awkward as hell for your players if you change the design of an existing, established card so completely.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
When Portal is being used properly it's pretty hard for it to have negative value. It's still a spell that combos with Antonidas, Flamewakers, and Sorcerer's Apprentice. Maybe the mana cost reduction won't be fully utilized but it's really hard for it to not give value.

I would say it's still being properly used even when not used like that. It is nice to play it on an empty board turn 2 so you can know if you have something like a 4 drop dr boom for an easy win. But that does explain why it's good all throughout the game.

ZZMitch

Buffs Mana Wurm too!

Finalow

11 wins with a deck where I picked value over curve. But who cares about not getting anything to play until turn 4 when you got all dem Murloc Knights?
-
meanwhile I didn't get a single balanced knight in 3 paladin runs.

but yes, that card is legit stupid in arena.

ZealousD

Any minion you get at 3 mana or above with Unstable Portal is not inconsequential. If the cost is reduced then even getting a 2 mana minion is value off of Portal.

Dalaran Mage. Iron Sensei. Alarm-o-Bot. Flying Machine. Gnomeregan Infantry. Magma Rager. And in the late game, any sort of card that's so bad that it wouldn't even see play even if its cost was reduced by 1 mana would also qualify. Priestess of Elune. Core Hound. War Golem. etc. And saying that getting a 2 mana minion is "value" off of Portal isn't really true, that just makes it "fair". Even then, you're not guaranteed a good 2 drop. Bloodfen Raptor. Frostwolf Grunt. Succubus. Scavenging Hyena. Ancient Watcher. Mana Wraith. Master Swordsmith. Nat Pagle. Nerub'ar Weblord. These are not value pulls, these are bad draws.

Point is that Unstable Portal is far more likely to win you the game than lose you the game.

This is true of basically every card that people willingly choose to put in their decks. Most cards people play in Constructed don't even have a possible backfire to it. Nobody is like "oh god, that mage won the game because they top-decked a frostbolt for exact lethal. They just won the game because they had frostbolt in their deck. You're far more likely to win games with frostbolt than lose them. Nerf frostbolt plzkthx."

The card has a ridiculous RNG spread and as most things in life people are far more likely to remember negative experience than they would positive ones. People latch on to the horrible shit that happens to them, not the parts where everything goes better than expected. Mage rolled the die on Unstable Portal and got an Axe Flinger? Don't even remember it because the Axe Flinger did shit. Oh man that Tempo Mage got Raid Leader off Unstable Portal. Such valuezzzzzzzz.

Speaking of unstable portal, guy gets a malorne off his. And manages to play it 3 times against my deck that is geared for fatigue. I still destroyed him. Turns out justicar making 2 recruits is tough even for mages to deal with.

Just standard-ish oil rogue.

Hearthstone_Screenshot_09_10_15_19_50_17.png

AC = anti-control
AA = anti-aggro

You can mess around with a couple cards. But most of the cards are set in stone. I've seen lists cut both healbots for sludge belchers and run double earthen ring farseers, for example.

What I like the most about double healbot is that it allows you to wait that extra turn or two before blade flurrying to get the most out of one of your strongest cards in the deck.

I know we went over this, but I still can't see this list. The picture is not loading for me, not even when I enter the link directly. Am I the only one having this issue?

In other news Fist of Jaraxxus is doing work in my zoo deck. Just had a turn 6 lethal against a mage. Demonguard + Fist of Jaraxxus to the face for surprise lethal. I had prepped the board so it would either kill a firewalker or a mechanical yeti. So wherever the damage went it was good for me.

I really think the card is being severely overlooked right now.

Speaking of Unstable Portal, opponent just got perfect lethal from Murlocs from ETC from unstable portal + flametongue from unstable portal.

What a nice and good card

I know we went over this, but I still can't see this list. The picture is not loading for me, not even when I enter the link directly. Am I the only one having this issue?

In other news Fist of Jaraxxus is doing work in my zoo deck. Just had a turn 6 lethal against a mage. Demonguard + Fist of Jaraxxus to the face for surprise lethal. I had prepped the board so it would either kill a firewalker or a mechanical yeti. So wherever the damage went it was good for me.

I really think the card is being severely overlooked right now.

How about here
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/COmC_pkUwAAGcWr.png

or https://twitter.com/KindbudiiIchig0/status/642188452507860992

Both of those are more or less standard oil rogue. Nothing really special.

KuroNeeko

Sorry to keep bringing this up, but just an update and one more question.

Looking at my past wins for each class I have

Priest - 61
Rogue - 49
Shaman - 39

Then

Druid - 26
Paladin - 21
Mage - 20
Hunter - 18 (← tbh, I started playing a mid-range, beast hunter recently and it's been a lot of fun! May play a bit more of this as well)
Warlock - 9

I tend to like decks that require lots of "footsies". Closed states where I can leverage my hero power into an advantage on the board. I tend to play more Control, though I've stayed away from Warrior because I can't forgive Garrosh for Cairne and Vol'jin, and Magni is stoopid. (I have to admit that Golden Garrosh looks pretty bad ass though.)

A lot of players here have recommended that I craft Dr. Boom when presented with the choices of Boom / Sylvanas / Ysera / Paletress.

Since I am thinking about sticking with Priest / Rogue / Druid - I think Sylvanas would probably offer the greatest benefit for me followed by Ysera (or Paletress, if she does indeed replace Ysera) and then maybe Rags or Vol'jin.

Does Boom get a lot of play in Priest / Rogue? Have you ever crafted a card that you didn't really like flavor / lore-wise and regretted it? Legendaries are so game defining, I kind of just want to make the ones I like and play with those.

I'm no Kolento. I'll never stream professionally or play in huge tournaments. I'd like to hit Legend one day or break Rank 10 / 5 for rank rewards. I just want to have fun.

I can't believe how obsessed I am over this 1600 dust...lol.

johnsmith

remember me

Priest - 61
Rogue - 49
Shaman - 39

Then

Druid - 26
Paladin - 21
Mage - 20
Hunter - 18 (← tbh, I started playing a mid-range, beast hunter recently and it's been a lot of fun! May play a bit more of this as well)
Warlock - 9

I tend to like decks that require lots of "footsies". Closed states where I can leverage my hero power into an advantage on the board. I tend to play more Control, though I've stayed away from Warrior because I can't forgive Garrosh for Cairne and Vol'jin, and Magni is stoopid. (I have to admit that Golden Garrosh looks pretty bad ass though.)

A lot of players here have recommended that I craft Dr. Boom when presented with the choices of Boom / Sylvanas / Ysera / Paletress.

Since I am thinking about sticking with Priest / Rogue / Druid - I think Sylvanas would probably offer the greatest benefit for me followed by Ysera (or Paletress, if she does indeed replace Ysera) and then maybe Rags or Vol'jin.

Does Boom get a lot of play in Priest / Rogue? Have you ever crafted a card that you didn't really like flavor / lore-wise and regretted it? Legendaries are so game defining, I kind of just want to make the ones I like and play with those.

I'm no Kolento. I'll never stream professionally or play in huge tournaments. I'd like to hit Legend one day or break Rank 10 / 5 for rank rewards. I just want to have fun.

Boom. Always boom. I'm even running it in my dragon priest deck because I'd be stupid not to when it's so annoying to deal with when it's played against me.

And no, I couldn't care less about WoW lore in relation to Hearthstone, even though I played WoW for years, and I'm familiar with all of it, and even read a couple of comics and books.

rickyson1

tgt has been so good to me so far

so far in 22 arena runs now with the 12-0 hunter i just got i've gone from 2 lifetime 12 win runs to 5 and my average win rate has gone up a full win compared to what i did in brm

At first I liked playing the secret paladin deck. But now that so many people are playing it, it has gotten quite boring. 6 of my last 7 matches have been against it which is odd cause before that I played against it maybe 1 in every 10 matches.

immediately going 0-2 in arena is an interesting experience. Every win from then on feels like a bonding moment since we both slowly learn over the course of the game how bad our decks are.

Saprol

this guy played alarm-o-bot nonstop from turn 1. lucky i drafted BGH to blow up his early alexstrasza. he didn't even bother playing it out after that

caesar

Banned

Priest - 61
Rogue - 49
Shaman - 39

Then

Druid - 26
Paladin - 21
Mage - 20
Warlock - 9

The answer is Boom. Like, just go now and take a look at your 7 drops.

KuroNeeko

Wow, Druids are so cool. That Force of Nature + Double Innervate + Double Savage Roar killing me with a taunt on the board and full health took so much skill, dunno how he thought up that master maneuver. Props!

Hey man, you almost had him!

Sometimes, when I get super salty about losses like this, I usually find that I've missed a few points of damage in earlier turns and that I should even have reached that point.

It happens to me A LOT when I play rogue because I often sit on a 1 durability dagger for a few turns due to mana constraints. Not saying that it happened to you here, but sometimes your opponent just gets lucky.

Having said that, FoN / SR pretty much always feels bad.

Pooya

Fought against a paly that curved perfectly into turn 6 Dr. 6 into turn 7 Dr. 7 into Rag. Holy shit, how people manage to pull this off, I had no luck whatsoever and I still managed to win somehow, I'm not sure how that was possible and I won with like 7 health.

Really starting to lose interest in Hearthstone.

This meta of flood the board with garbage that can never fully be removed is just tiresome and boring.

bu bu but interactive games!!!111

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Speaking of druid, you see the odd astral communion effort, but I've yet to see Aviana played.

What is the consensus on that card?
I just have a hard time seeing a scenario where Aviana is useful. Druids aren't going to be interested in a nine drop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom