• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT4| The warsong has ended, please patron other decks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fireblend

Banned
I'm starting to question how useful Mana Wyrms are on tempo mage. They sometimes come into the game too late where they don't make much of a difference, and even when they are on my starting hand along with a 1 or 2-mana spell, I always feel like not wasting it on mana wyrm and keeping it for Flamewakers/Antonidas.

What am I not seeing? I'm this close to replacing them with Acolytes of Pain, considering I have no Arcane Intellects on my deck.

Santiako

I'm starting to question how useful Mana Wyrms are on tempo mage. They sometimes come into the game too late where they don't make much of a difference, and even when they are on my starting hand along with a 1 or 2-mana spell, I always feel like not wasting it on mana wyrm and keeping it for Flamewakers/Antonidas.

What am I not seeing? I'm this close to replacing them with Acolytes of Pain, considering I have no Arcane Intellects on my deck.

They are extremely important. They push damage early and then trade for bigger minions or several small ones, it defines tempo.

Santiako

Should I be using my coin/1/2 mana spells on them then? Instead of saving them for Antonidas or Flamewakers?

Yes, unless you have the Flamewaker on hand. But Frostbolts, Flamecannons, Unstable Portals and Arcane missiles are fine on their own and you don't need to wait for anyone.

ViviOggi

Should I be using my coin/1/2 mana spells on them then? Instead of saving them for Antonidas or Flamewakers?
Well of course, if that gains you tempo. If you're staying ahead without them but expect a later power turn from a midrange opponent or Zoo/Paladin token diarrhea then Flamewaker will be your tempo swing.

Acolyte? Saving spells for Antonidas? You're no Freeze Mage dude, Acolyte is like the most anti-tempo 3-drop in the game, when you start pinging that shit as Tempo Mage you've already lost. Antonidas is your win condition against slow decks and you only save spells for him when you can afford to and have to.

Mana Wyrm + Coin + Mirror Image puts you so far ahead in the game from the get go that the enemy will be struggling for the entire game most of the time. Mana Wyrm is a must.

You would drop flamewakers before mana wyrm.

Mulgrok

This portal brawl... every time it comes up I get early fel reaver only against mages... and they always have multiple freeze spells + polymorph in their hand. After the 5th time in a row that happens, I start to think blizz is trolling me.

Those are extra, I'm talking about cards in the deck. Anyway, let's stop derailing, the point was that Mana Wyrm is very good and should not be taken from Tempo Mage.

If we're talking about the amount of spells it takes to make mana wyrm worth running, I don't think we're derailing at all. And that is an important consideration as to whether it is worth running in tempo mage. It works in mech mage not because mana wyrm is so good, but because they run a lot of cheap spells.

johnsmith

remember me
Priest beat Patron!

Ketch

I don't have that many cards, and I want to buy a bunch of packs. Which set should I buy them from? I was thinking not original because tavern brawl gives those.

So I guess GvG because it's a better set?

Santiako

I don't have that many cards, and I want to buy a bunch of packs. Which set should I buy them from? I was thinking not original because tavern brawl gives those.

Classic offers the best value, but if you are going to spend money, the adventures are a better buy.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Sadly I didn't watch all of them but I really don't like the composition of some of the patrons in the tourney.
I don't see much divergence for how to build a Patron deck lately, so I'm not really sure what you're referring to.

squidyj

So this happened.

Me -> Turn 1 coin trogg
Him <- Turn 2 play stormforged axe and hit trogg
-> turn 2 play recombobulator on 2/1 trogg and get milhouse.
<- loot hoarder, kill recombobulator
-> sword of justice kill loot hoarder

.... turn 5 lethal

Saprol

What's a typical Patron deck list? Browsing through a few and there's sometimes taskmasters. Sometimes loot hoarders or unstable ghouls. Some don't run shield slam either.

johnsmith

remember me
What's a typical Patron deck list? Browsing through a few and there's sometimes taskmasters. Sometimes loot hoarders or unstable ghouls. Some don't run shield slam either.

Every deck runs 2 of these key cards:
Whirlwind
Battle Rage
Fiery War Axe
Acolyte of Pain
Frothing Berserker
Warsong Commander
Death's Bite
Grim Patron
Emperor Thaurissan

The rest is a mix of card draw, removal, patron activators, and survivability, and that's where the differences come in.

Every deck runs 2 of these key cards:
Whirlwind
Battle Rage
Fiery War Axe
Acolyte of Pain
Frothing Berserker
Warsong Commander
Death's Bite
Grim Patron
Emperor Thaurissan

The rest is a mix of card draw, removal, patron activators, and survivability, and that's where the differences come in.

That is mostly accurate but I don't think every deck runs 2 fiery war axes, some run only 1 and I don't think it is unusual either.

Also I think every one of them runs 2 executes.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Yeah I've seen some people swapping the second war axe for a second slam instead. I guess the idea is that with all the secret Paladins around that War Axe isn't getting the job done dealing with early minions by itself amymore..

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
There isn't a typical list. Every Patron variant is a little better at one thing and a little worse at another. There is a core, however, and it's:

Battle Rage
Deathbite
Grim Patron
Warsong Commander
Frothing Berserker
Thaurissan
Whirlwind
Acolyte of Pain
Execute
Gnomish Inventor

And then stuff that comes down to the player include:
Fiery Waraxe
Grom
Shield Block
Shield Slam
Dread Corsair
Inner Rage
Slam
Armorsmith
Taskmaster
Unstable Ghoul
Commanding Shout

Really lucky druid but the mage gave him a chance to get that luck. I don't think the druid had a chance if he just simply removed the 4/2. He played greedy when he absolutely did not need to. The choice between a 90% chance to win and a 100% chance to win.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"

Classic has a ton of core cards that will probably never be cycled out of the metagame. It's also twice as big as GvG or TGT. You'll get a free classic pack each week but that doesn't mean you shouldn't buy cards from the set, since it's so much larger than the others. I would buy from classic first.

After that, go to the OP under "Websites and Forums" and go to Gutshot's Collection Spreadsheet. Copy it to your own google account and track your collection there. It'll give you completion percentages for each set. After that, just try to spend your gold on packs from the set that has the lowest completion percentage for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom