• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT4| The warsong has ended, please patron other decks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leezard

DY4YKWm.png

Kolento just got a Pikachu hat

clav

Face Warrior

The cycle is complete.

Keep drawing from the bottom of the deck today.

Probably I should play aggro, but I won't.

Midrange Paladin just sucks without Tirion. So many 4 drop cards and they're all so slow.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
It is incredible how often MC shows up for turn 6, despite not playing any card draw. I think maybe once the paladin didn't have it on turn 6 today, out of 5-6 matches.
Early game for Paladin is so easy/free that they don't have to toss it from an opening hand.

Tubie

It is incredible how often MC shows up for turn 6, despite not playing any card draw. I think maybe once the paladin didn't have it on turn 6 today, out of 5-6 matches.

Last game I played as Secret Paladin I had 2 of them by turn 3. You would think that's terrible, but nope I still easily won that game. That Patron didn't even get to turn 8.

Pooya

I've seen quite a few times now they perfectly curve into Dr.7 and Dr. 8 right after Dr. 6, it's not exactly luck, it's the effect of Dr. 6 and thinning the deck, you top deck better and yet I still won...they just play really badly, because of their secrets and getting value from them, they trade in some weird way that ends up being favorable to me in the end, against other bad players, dumb decks like that give them free wins of course but they won't be going far playing a deck like this, their idea seems to be killing time until they can play MC so much that keeping it in opening and see if it carries them or not, yawn.

The deck is already figured out, it's good for climbing ladder still because there are a lot of bad players and they get punished severely here with all the essentially free buffs and speed of the game more so than other decks.

It's just a really dumb game plan. I don't like decks like this. it's not fun and they spread like cancer because they're easy.

This list seems to be working for me:

Disgusting_Shaman.png

I threw it together and did not even realize I did not put DOA til almost 10 games in. 10-4 is not bad considering all my other shaman variants were not consistent or lacked late game power that azure drake brings to the table. Just 1 card deeper makes a huge difference.

Also as noted on the bottom of the pic, 5-1 vs paladin.

I've seen quite a few times now they perfectly curve into Dr.7 and Dr. 8 right after Dr. 6, it's not exactly luck, it's the effect of Dr. 6 and thinning the deck, you top deck better and yet I still won...they just play really badly, because of their secrets and getting value from them, they trade in some weird way that ends up being favorable to me in the end, against other bad players, dumb decks like that give them free wins of course but they won't be going far playing a deck like this, their idea seems to be killing time until they can play MC so much that keeping it in opening and see if it carries them or not, yawn.

The deck is already figured out, it's good for climbing ladder still because there are a lot of bad players and they get punished severely here with all the essentially free buffs and speed of the game more so than other decks.

It's just a really dumb game plan. I don't like decks like this. it's not fun and they spread like cancer because they're easy.

I'm not complaining about the deck tbh. I think the deck is fine and doesn't need alterations. I certainly would welcome some small nerf on MC but I don't think they will because it isn't even that dire. At the same time I wouldn't be surprised if they do nerf MC. Maybe make it so it fills secrets up to 3 max.

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
man after almost been kicked to ranked 6 it feels good to finally climbed my back again to near rank 3, midrange hunter is pretty good in this meta, you can beat secret paladin.... except in those games where they have Dr. 6 on curse because they kept it in the opening hand, might as well GG straight away and save yourself the headache.

I just faced someone in Arena who literally had the hobgoblin dream. I wasn't able to clear it through a taunt, and he played 4 minions who got buffed before I was able to kill it. He then played 3 minions after I killed the hob that had one attack. Didn't win, but at least I went out fighting, unlike what would have happened if I cleared a different minion. Shit was scamazing

Haunted

combo is fine, OTK is fine, Emperor is fine, warsong is fine. What is not fine is that we don't have anything in this game to counter combo decks unlike every other card game. I'm not sure what's bad about discard mechanic, I would argue it makes the game more skill based.
What are some of the techniques other card games use to prevent combo decks from being too strong?

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
You can be a slower deck and still be aggro. Stompy aggro. It kinda does fit.

That's something like Midrange Hunter. Dragon Priest is not like Midrange Hunter, at all. Cards like Twilight Guardian and Ysera are hardly stompy.

Discard effects on your opponent is one (as he said)

Loatheb is anti-combo. He might be the only anti-combo card in the game right now.

clav

No I don't. I run 4 secrets. That's not much mage. I also don't run Dr Boom or Arch Mage either.

Thanks for making shit up though.

I see a blastmage in the corner there.

Also looks like you beat up a Priest who probably just drew a bunch of cards to see what his next ones were.

Either way, you still play Mage. You should be in Legend.

That's something like Midrange Hunter. Dragon Priest is not like Midrange Hunter, at all. Cards like Twilight Guardian and Ysera are hardly stompy.

Well, stompy means big. Look at this:

Vanilla stats are mana x2 +1
The following also assumes they have dragon activator.

So at 1 mana you get 3 stats. NSC gets 4 for a total of +1 over vanilla. And the dragonling gets +1 as well.
Wyrmrest agent gets +1.
BW technician gets +1.
Twilight dragon gets +1.

That is pretty stompy. Stompy means big. They play bigger threats than most decks can even produce. Not to mention they have the buffs to make them even bigger and run you over.

They do run some higher value cards, but I think that is because among the dragon set, there isn't really any good aggressive dragon at high cost. The closest you have is onyxia but who runs that shit.

Whenever I have lost to priest while I played my midrange or my control paladin decks, I have lost to the slow stompiness of their big minions that are difficult to remove and thus get a lot of damage in, not because ysera got mad value late game.

clav

Made new card. You guys like?

DdOuVuC.png

Why not all minions cost 8+?

It's my own hybrid deck. Not a net deck. I don't run cog, tinkertown, spider tank, yeti, boom ect

Not all of us net deck. Thanks for being kinda an asshole though.

What do you mean by net deck? Every deck is some variant of someone else's or someone is most likely running the same or similar setup.

I just hate Mages since they just sit back and not take any effects from freeze or other things. Like the Protoss of Hearthstone.

Frozen? No problem. Still can cast spells.

Opponent casting spell? Too bad unless he/she has a coin.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I'm unsure why Maiev is turning off charge, or how it's any better than a taunt for stopping Patron.

Dahbomb

Made new card. You guys like?

IWURmsE.png
I respect the idea but in real situations just like Chillmaw, Patrons decks will just remove it first (like with Execute) and then go to town with the combo.

Decent Face Hunter deck counter though provided you last that long.

ZealousD

I'm unsure why Maiev is turning off charge, or how it's any better than a taunt for stopping Patron.

This is way more effective than a taunt against Patron, because generated patrons can kill a taunt but they can't kill Maiev. Patron warrior would HAVE to use a second charge of Death's Bite and a whirlwind, PLUS they couldn't use a Frothing or initial Patrons generated that turn.

Haly

They would not be playing their combo into a taunt unless they could already remove it. If they play Patron, they're going to Whirlwind/Battlerage to fill up their hand or setup the following turn.

Which is to say this doesn't do anything the Patron player isn't already ready to counter in some form or another. Like how Chillmaw usually gets Executed, or when they started running Shield Slams pre-TGT.

ZealousD

They would not be playing their combo into a taunt unless they could already remove it. If they play Patron, they're going to Whirlwind/Battlerage to fill up their hand or setup the following turn.

For most taunts at that mana cost they could kill it with two patrons or a weapon + whirlwind so they lose very little damage. But they can't really do that with Maiev. They'd have to burn a combo piece like inner rage or a whirlwind and in doing so would not be able to play cards like frothing before doing that. So they can't do something like Warsong->Frothing->Patron->Whirlwind->Execute. They'd lose the charge on the Frothing and the first and second Patrons. Against Patron, it's kind of like Loatheb and Taunt on the same card.

manhack

I respect the idea but in real situations just like Chillmaw, Patrons decks will just remove it first (like with Execute) and then go to town with the combo.

Decent Face Hunter deck counter though provided you last that long.

Yeah, cheap removal/silence makes cards like this about as useful as taunt. I could see something like that with a battlecry could be ok.

I decided to make a few cards too, interested in peoples opinions.

ef2364b9.png

An idea I've seen a lot, really like it. Enables execute on full health minions and enrage effects to proc without triggering. Probably broken with Battle Rage. Actually don't think it would be used in Patron over Emperor.

4199eb09.png

Not sure about the wording here, and I know I misspelled something. And shattering throw art is already used for that axe from the Arathi Weaponsmith

d09f6605.png

Pretty good for arena, I would think.

61296888.png

Rogues need more poisons.

07ab323e.png

Maybe with this effect on a weapon it would actually get used.

My board: totem golem, mana tide totem, spell damage totem, tuskar totemic
7 mana next turn

Me chanting:
Thunderbluff, thunderbluff, thunderbluff

top deck, thunderbluff!

Guy conceded though too fast. Getting 3 totems to buff against priest... holy hell. That would have been sweeeeet.

Dahbomb

I really think it's about time we got a weapon with a Silence effect. Now THAT would be an appropriate counter to a Shredder.... 3 mana 3/2, silence before dealing damage.

ecf8a0aa.png

I really think it's about time we got a weapon with a Silence effect. Now THAT would be an appropriate counter to a Shredder.... 3 mana 3/2, silence before dealing damage.

That's what I was thinking with Shattering Throw. It's made for Fiery War Axe + Shattering Throw on a Shredder

Fireblend

Banned
I suck so much at playing Patron. Got a 5 win quest and 15+ games later I'm only 3 wins in. Holy shit am I unlucky - never see Taurisan before turn 6, never have the right combo pieces when I do, get stuck until turn 8 waiting for a Warsong Commander... the patron players make it look so easy T_T

clav

I suck so much at playing Patron. Got a 5 win quest and 15+ games later I'm only 3 wins in. Holy shit am I unlucky - never see Taurisan before turn 6, never have the right combo pieces when I do, get stuck until turn 8 waiting for a Warsong Commander... the patron players make it look so easy T_T

According to the haters, you're just a bad player.

Doesn't that make you angry?

That's what I see here.

You can start populating the Patron on Turn 5/6 if you have coin and the right cards. You don't always have to have Warsong.

What can kill you is if you don't have your weapons at the start.

What makes people rage is the Frothing Berserker.

Zoggy

is anyone getting bored with hearthstone unless there's a really fun stupid tavern brawl?

like this weeks brawl, sucks shit.

ladder sucks because its just the same 3-4 decks again and again, once you hit rank 5 it doesn't matter. then you wait until the end of the month to get your epic golden.

casual play seemed fun but then you realize all you're facing is new players with all basic cards so you feel bad for stomping them with your constructed decks.

arena's the fun thing because its so random and everyones on an even playing field, but i suck so i have to muster up 150 gold for each run.

god.

clav

is anyone getting bored with hearthstone unless there's a really fun stupid tavern brawl?

like this weeks brawl, sucks shit.

ladder sucks because its just the same 3-4 decks again and again, once you hit rank 5 it doesn't matter. then you wait until the end of the month to get your epic golden.

casual play seemed fun but then you realize all you're facing is new players with all basic cards so you feel bad for stomping them with your constructed decks.

arena's the fun thing because its so random and everyones on an even playing field, but i suck so i have to muster up 150 gold for each run.

god.

Ladder seems boring to me. Brawl and Arena are what keeps me coming back to the game.

Haly

Chances are at least a few of those games were salvageable if you were more liberal with your plays.

Sometimes you get games where you really have to play that Turn 4 Frothing or whatever.

I haven't visited the official forums much lately, but this post took the cake.

Someone was arguing that AOEs don't work anymore. Someone else agreed in that AOEs should punish extending and they aren't anymore. His example of over-extending was 2 haunted creepers, a nerubian egg, and a shredder and the fact that that over-extending wasn't punished by hellfire means AOEs don't punish over-extending anymore.

Good example of why that official forum is full of morons. Guy has over 9000 posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom