• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT4| The warsong has ended, please patron other decks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dahbomb

The strongest deck in the game right now is basically a budget deck (Grim Patron) and requires only one Legendary which you acquire from one wing of BRM.

It costs just 700 dust to make.

I already know what the rebuttal to that is going to be "I don't like to play cheap, broken, OTK, unfun decks".

f0lken

This is a style I was experimenting with a bit early on. Couldn't get it fully grasped because my collection is bound by free-to-stay, but the idea never left my curiosity. The parts to build are easy enough to come by, and I encourage people to give it a shot. Essentially, you're a Flood Shaman, a bit like playing a Paladin, but with the advantage of Deathrattle thrown in so your board is never fully deleted. Either they deal with your threats and you retaliate, or set up shop and deliver with Bloodlust. Worries include running out of steam potentially or not drawing your key components like Silver Hand Regent or Mukla, or not having one of the removal tools.

You cut down on the RNG bullshit, you cut down on the Overload (as much as you feasibly can), and create value out of your Hero Power usage, your minions' deaths, or your cheap spells.

Yup, it works prett well, there are three cards that I take out depending on what type of decks I am facing: The two sargents for knife jugglers, and the Sludge Belcher (which comes too late for it to be of importance) for a Kezan, Thaurissan or another Mukla Champion, but the other cards work just fine as it is

The strongest deck in the game right now is basically a budget deck (Grim Patron) and requires only one Legendary which you acquire from one wing of BRM.

I already know what the rebuttal to that is going to be "I don't like to play cheap, broken, OTK, unfun decks".

well you do gotta buy wings so thats gotta count for something

clav

Tuskarr Jouster sucks.

I don't win anything which is bad for Midrange.

I thought this card was supposed to counter aggro?

And you need 3500 gold worth of adventure wings which for a new/f2p player isn't exactly nothing.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Tuskarr Jouster sucks.

I don't win anything which is bad for Midrange.

I thought this card was supposed to counter aggro?

In general the joust mechanic is fucked cause a tie = loss.

Plus a lot of the joust cards are 5 or 6 mana which means a lot of the low cost cards are out of the deck and on the board by then.

Blizzard needs to change it so first tie is a redraw. Then second tie is a loss.

clav

In general the joust mechanic is fucked cause a tie = loss.

Plus a lot of the joust cards are 5 or 6 mana which means a lot of the low cost cards are out of the deck and on the board by then.

Blizzard needs to change it so first tie is a redraw. Then second tie is a loss.

That's a really good idea.

Hopefully that change is implemented.

Dahbomb

And you need 3500 gold worth of adventure wings which for a new/f2p player isn't exactly nothing.
I think it goes without saying that new players should be concentrating on acquiring the wings first, especially the Naxx wing which has a lot of high impact cards.

Plus for the Grim Patron deck... both Emperor Thaurissan AND Grim Patron are available in the first wing. Hardest to get is Death's Bite which you need to pay 3 quarters for (first one of Naxx is free).

Honestly speaking you can EASILY make the Grim Patron deck for FREE by playing the game regularly for a month. And I know I can say this because I have acquired all the wings for free so I know how long it would take to unlock those wings to complete the Patron deck.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
You don't put Joust cards into mid-range decks. You have too many low cost cards to do that.

Gadgetzan Jouster works pretty well in Ramp Druid. Healing Wave is pretty good for late game Shaman decks. Master Jouster might be good in Ramp Druid but I haven't tried him yet. Tuskarr Jouster would work in Control Paladin, but Control Paladin is hardly the best Paladin deck right now.

clav

You don't put Joust cards into mid-range decks. You have too many low cost cards to do that.

Gadgetzan Jouster works pretty well in Ramp Druid. Healing Wave is pretty good for late game Shaman decks. Master Jouster might be good in Ramp Druid but I haven't tried him yet. Tuskarr Jouster would work in Control Paladin, but Control Paladin is hardly the best Paladin deck right now.

I should stick with antique healbot then.

I like the idea of having a 5/5 onboard though.

I should stick with antique healbot then.

I like the idea of having a 5/5 onboard though.

I've stuck with healbot, but I think it depends on how much your deck needs healing. Since midrange paladin is more aggressive, it should have more consistent opens and require less healing.

I think the midrange list on tempostorm runs a tuskar jouster, for example.

clav

I've stuck with healbot, but I think it depends on how much your deck needs healing. Since midrange paladin is more aggressive, it should have more consistent opens and require less healing.

I think the midrange list on tempostorm runs a tuskar jouster, for example.

https://tempostorm.com/hearthstone/decks/updated-midrange-paladin

Oh now I see it.

I also don't have Tirion, which I've used KT for many seasons.

Combos after a Turn 7 or late game. Most people expect Tirion though.

Maybe I'll remove a Zombie Chow in my deck and put in a 6 drop.

I rarely get the double Zombie Chow Mulligan.

Dahbomb

Master Jouster sucks in general. Even if you get the proc off it's not that amazing. The card comes out way too late to make a difference against the decks it's trying to win against... at that stage you want to be putting down Legendaries. When that card loses Joust it's really backbreaking.

Good in Arena though.

ZealousD

Master Jouster sucks in general. Even if you get the proc off it's not that amazing. The card comes out way too late to make a difference against the decks it's trying to win against... at that stage you want to be putting down Legendaries. When that card loses Joust it's really backbreaking.

Good in Arena though.

When you win the Joust his body is basically Tirion without Ashbringer, though. Which is pretty damn good. Like I said, I didn't try him. I wasn't convinced I could make room for him.

Dahbomb

When you win the Joust his body is basically Tirion without Ashbringer, though. Which is pretty damn good. Like I said, I didn't try him. I wasn't convinced I could make room for him.
The without Ashbringer is a pretty big deal not to mention the 100% consistency of having the base stats.

A better question to ask yourself is... would you play Master Jouster if it came with Divine Shield/Taunt but costed 7 mana?

ZealousD

A better question to ask yourself is... would you play Master Jouster if it came with Divine Shield/Taunt but costed 7 mana?

That would be a better card than Sunwalker, imo. I probably wouldn't play it but that has more to do with all of my other options at 7 for Ramp (Ancient of War... Ancient of Lore.... Dr. Boom....)

grand crusader gave me tirion in arena
4Head.png

Owzers

my favorite games as a face-ish-midrange hunter are against other hunters since we can annoy each other. Last three games were two secret paladins and a patron warrior, lost all. This game is sometimes more annoying than fun. I don't have hearty enough minions for patron fights. I put in a flare to counter the secret paladins i've been facing but didn't draw it.

Yet another game of paladin where 6-7 turns of stalling doesn't pay off because the one card that I have multiples of left to draw don't draw. Meanwhile priest is just laughing at you because their minions are overstated and you can't even attrition them down unlike other aggro decks.

clav

I feel like Justicar could probably replace a second Quartermaster and I see that in some decks.

Not everyone has Justicar.

I'll just stick with a Shredder.

Just matched twice with the same aggro rogue on ladder. Played all charge cards and leper gnomes.

Fill the board with everything.

Ugh... first season I won't get Legend. School has kept me from Hearthstone all month long.

Ladder gets boring. I find it a chore to keep playing over and over as I keep going up and down ranks.

Dahbomb

I have over 90% win rate in this Brawl thanks to Mill Druid. All these Freeze Mages and Handlocks don't stand a chance.

My only loss of the day was against a Shaman who played nothing but stealth creatures and just Bloodlusted me. That deck is bad because of all the Handlocks/Freeze Mages but against Mill Druid it happened to be perfect (well perfect because I didn't have Starfall/Poison Seeds in my hand to counter).

bjaelke

I have over 90% win rate in this Brawl thanks to Mill Druid. All these Freeze Mages and Handlocks don't stand a chance.

My only loss of the day was against a Shaman who played nothing but stealth creatures and just Bloodlusted me. That deck is bad because of all the Handlocks/Freeze Mages but against Mill Druid it happened to be perfect (well perfect because I didn't have Starfall/Poison Seeds in my hand to counter).

Try mill rogue next time (3 weeks from now?) with double blade flurry.

Pooya

Were did all the 60g quests go? I keep getting win 3 games with any class which means I just have to stop playing so that I can rereoll this thing again...

Pooya

What about Mukla's champion instead of thunder bluff in shaman? it buffs everything you have, not just totems, +1/+1 to everything seems like better that +2 to just totems. Sure it's easier to remove but thunder bluff isn't exactly hard to remove either, I feel Mukla has a more long term board impact even with one turn compared wit Thunder. I know it's great in paladin.

Acinixys

What about Mukla's champion instead of thunder bluff in shaman? it buffs everything you have, not just totems, +1/+1 to everything seems like better that +2 to just totems. Sure it's easier to remove but thunder bluff isn't exactly hard to remove either, I feel Mukla has a more long term board impact even with one turn compared wit Thunder. I know it's great in paladin.

The problem with Champ is that its stats are terrible.

It dies to most 3 drops

Thunderbluff on the other hand has 6HP, which makes it very hard to remove in comparison

Also, I would rather have 2 2/2s than 2 1/3s

Thunder is alot harder to remove, so theres a chance you can play it without inspiring the same turn and still got value from it.

Vanillalite

That would be a better card than Sunwalker, imo. I probably wouldn't play it but that has more to do with all of my other options at 7 for Ramp (Ancient of War... Ancient of Lore.... Dr. Boom....)

The problem Sunwalker has is there are a fuck ton of 5/5 minions people play like Emp, Loath, and Syl which means Sunwalker doesn't even equal out in a trade let alone win despite the shield.

Sunwalker would be much more playable IMO as a 5/5 minion with shield and taunt for 6 mana.

I got to rank 5 over the weekend from rank 7 in one massive win streak (which still hasn't ended btw). Secret Paladin is so swingy. Just the day before I had lost 3 in a row and called it quits. And then I win 6 in a row. Feels good to get to rank 5 for the first time. Last season I hit a wall at rank 6 and missed on the golden epic.

My first match at rank 5 was against a dragon shaman. It was interesting. He healed for 28 in one tuen when I had him at 3 health. He wiped my board twice, and wiped my board one more time with Deathwing.

Too bad for him I had played repentance from my hand (this was after Mysterious Challenger) and one of my minions was a Creeper. It was fun seeing a 1/1 spectral spider take on the biggest baddest dragon in the game. I ended up winning in the end since he completely ran out of steam after that. I don't think I'd ever gotten as much value from Repentance.

Vanillalite

I keep pinging back and forth between 6-8. I can't see to break that 5 rank barrier. I want to so I can get that monthly chest reward too. :/

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
I keep pinging back and forth between 6-8. I can't see to break that 5 rank barrier. I want to so I can get that monthly chest reward too. :/

Just keep at it and don't tilt, for me the biggest problem when i get higher ranks is that i tend to play weird decks and make bad plays costing me many ranks. Yesterday for example i didn't ping face to set up lethal for king crush that i got from burgle, feels bad man. What are you playing anyway? what's your deck?

Xanathus

In some ways ladder is easier at the start of the season because people aren't as try-hard yet since they think that they have a lot of time to rank up.

Owzers

i chose a pack over arena for my gold because it would only end in frustration anyways.

and the pack wasn't good. My mediocre hunter deck isn't going anywhere past 9 or 10 in the ladder apparently.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
The ideal time to ladder is the third week of the month. Late enough that a lot of the obsessive players are already legend, but early enough to miss the try hard agro netdecking you see everyone doing to rush up the ranks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom