• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT4| The warsong has ended, please patron other decks

Status
Not open for further replies.
holy shit at Kibler's stream, he's laughing like a mad man for 10 minutes now ahahahha. That was glorious. Auto include in next trolden.

Plays Malygos, dies it duplicates and effigy gives Aviana. He plays Malygos/Malygos/Flamewaker/Rhonin/ Kills Rhonin with Arcane Blast. Fireworks ensues.

was pretty hilarious lol

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Secrets are fucking dumb in this game right now. To encourage people to play them, Blizzard invented several cheater cards to make them vomit out from your deck with no skill and ridiculous value. Then the opponent has to play the guessing game as to which secret it is which becomes harder and harder the more secrets that are added in the game. So you have to expend so much more skill and game knowledge in playing around the secret than knowing when to play it. And because these cheater cards are so powerful it leads towards the game being biased towards the classes that have the secrets over those that don't.

This cancerous shit needs to end.

Secrets are fucking dumb in this game right now. To encourage people to play them, Blizzard invented several cheater cards to make them vomit out from your deck with no skill and ridiculous value. Then the opponent has to play the guessing game as to which secret it is which becomes harder and harder the more secrets that are added in the game. So you have to expend so much more skill and game knowledge in playing around the secret than knowing when to play it. And because these cheater cards are so powerful it leads towards the game being biased towards the classes that have the secrets over those that don't.

The guessing game? If you think it is a guessing game, maybe you're approaching it wrong?

I really don't disagree that MC is probably a bit too much, but mostly in terms of stats. A 6 drop with that strength of text shouldn't be 6/6. It should be more like 5/3 or 5/4. My particular thoughts about this card are only because it is basically a boulderfist, which is a reasonable minion, with too big of an upside.

I think mad scientist is fine though as it is. I mean, at worst I think it could be a 2/1 without a big deal but even that.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
The guessing game? If you think it is a guessing game, maybe you're approaching it wrong?

I really don't disagree that MC is probably a bit too much, but mostly in terms of stats. A 6 drop with that strength of text shouldn't be 6/6. It should be more like 5/3 or 5/4. My particular thoughts about this card are only because it is basically a boulderfist, which is a reasonable minion, with too big of an upside.

I think mad scientist is fine though as it is. I mean, at worst I think it could be a 2/1 without a big deal but even that.

I don't see anyway around it being a guessing game. The only thing that eases it up is that the majority of people netdeck card for card so you typically know the typical secrets based off other minions played, but ladder being a best-of-one gives a lot of advantage to tossing in something not super common like counterspell. If you are against a mage that has a secret up and a minion(let's say water ele) and you're another mage with a piloted shredder or a fireball, most people play around mirror entity and would do a spell, but if the fireball gets blocked you just ate a card and your whole turn and that is a massive swing. And the whole thing was a 50/50 since either outcome is really bad for you.

Mad Scientist draws and puts the card into play which is even better than just drawing. It makes it super versatile in more than just aggro since a deck like Freeze mage can specifically cycle something like Ice Block out of the deck which actually strengthens their Arcane Intellect/Acolyte/other draw engines as the deck was specifically thinned even moreso. It being a 2/2 is crazy compared to the 2/1 loothoarder.

Mage is one of my most played classes and even doing different lists I always tend to get free value out of the card. Druids playing around mirror entity with a super weak keeper of the grove that gets no value and then playing ancient of lore off curve next turn, stuff like that. And when you don't proc the secret and they play ANOTHER one their next turn you have to re-evaluate the options again, sometimes being a 50/50 like above where you only have a beefy minion or a beefy spell and have to chose one. Or against hunter the freeze trap lockdowns that mainly occur due to the tempo swing gained by the scientist.

I do think MC is way over statted for what he does as well, but scientist will always be the brunt of my rage towards it since it's a ridiculous card.

Dahbomb

MC isn't a guessing game when he puts out 5 secrets. You know that it's Repentance, Redemption, Avenge, Competitive Spirit and Noble Sacrifice.

It's when it puts out 3 or 4 that it becomes tricky because when that happens is that you are STILL playing as if he has 5 secrets unless you somehow had some prior knowledge on his plays and secret usage (like if he already played double Avenge).

Why would you play minions with low attack when you can buff one with high attack?
Assuming it isn't a premade deck like Nef vs Rag.

I don't see anyway around it being a guessing game. The only thing that eases it up is that the majority of people netdeck card for card so you typically know the typical secrets based off other minions played,

It isn't about netdecking. It is about knowing what is good in the meta. Someone mentioned earlier that snake trap is not good in this meta. So if you have a situation where snake trap isn't a big deal, you probably don't play around it at all. But if snake trap is good in a particular meta, you probably should play around it. That is not guessing, that is playing smart and figuring out the odds and weighing it against the risks.

Knowing the lists people play is just secondary. You know what secrets work and what don't. That is basic card knowledge. If you're playing against a face hunter, you know its likely explosive trap. If you recognize it as a hybrid or midrange hunter, you know its probably freezing trap. Narrowing the possible traps is just smart play, not really just guessing. Because all the time you're evaluating risk and benefit. That is absolutely not guessing. At least it is no more guesswork than determining a certain line of play that wins based on the assumption your opponent has not drawn a particular card. It's like saying "hey, if you have molten giants I probably lose, but I definitely lose if I play around molten giants on this turn."

but ladder being a best-of-one gives a lot of advantage to tossing in something not super common like counterspell.

Sure, but on ladder you're playing for a high winrate over the course of many games. If you lose to some odd ball every once in a while, that is fine.

If you are against a mage that has a secret up and a minion(let's say water ele) and you're another mage with a piloted shredder or a fireball, most people play around mirror entity and would do a spell, but if the fireball gets blocked you just ate a card and your whole turn and that is a massive swing. And the whole thing was a 50/50 since either outcome is really bad for you.

It is hard to evaluate a board state just by knowing a few things. It depends on what is in your hand and how important it is to remove that water elemental this very turn. Yes, you probably lose if your fireball is CS'd but then if you had another reasonable play, you should take it. You're taking a 50/50 chance for it to be counterspell, but you lose if it is. If you have another reasonable play, like giving them a minion in mirror entity, perhaps even one you can remove with frostbolt, then you go with that. Once you see it isn't mirror entity, you can play with the knowledge that it is either effigy or counterspell and go from there.

In short, why take the 50/50 chance to lose, unless it is absolutely necessary and at that point it wasn't really counterspell that made you lose but how you got there (draw order, deck build, choices made, etc.). And certainly not a guessing game. It is evaluating risk.

Mad Scientist draws and puts the card into play which is even better than just drawing. It makes it super versatile in more than just aggro since a deck like Freeze mage can specifically cycle something like Ice Block out of the deck which actually strengthens their Arcane Intellect/Acolyte/other draw engines as the deck was specifically thinned even moreso. It being a 2/2 is crazy compared to the 2/1 loothoarder.

Sure, mad scientist is a great card. On the other hand, decks need something great about them in order to succeed. Compared to loot hoarder, you can say it is better. I don't disagree. But mad scientist is actually an extremely bad card at times, especially if you have played or drawn your secrets already. It is also a bigger loss when silenced.

Mage is one of my most played classes and even doing different lists I always tend to get free value out of the card. Druids playing around mirror entity with a super weak keeper of the grove that gets no value and then playing ancient of lore off curve next turn, stuff like that. And when you don't proc the secret and they play ANOTHER one their next turn you have to re-evaluate the options again, sometimes being a 50/50 like above where you only have a beefy minion or a beefy spell and have to chose one. Or against hunter the freeze trap lockdowns that mainly occur due to the tempo swing gained by the scientist.

Mages pretty much counter druid. And they should. And I am glad they do. But druids aren't helpless, seeing as they got one of the best counters to mirror entity - darnassus aspirant. And they've always had access to and often ran zombie chow in the past. Plus they do have a couple cheap cards that allow them to play around counterspell. Granted, they are playing a bad match up still. You kinda make it sound like druids don't have their own broken cards, like ancient of lore being incredibly great, as well as combo, innervating early big minions, etc..

I do think MC is way over statted for what he does as well, but scientist will always be the brunt of my rage towards it since it's a ridiculous card.

Good cards will always seem ridiculous in the right match up.

caesar

Banned
Just don't know why I bother trying to play control decks on constructed anymore.

Win 20 turn game vs control warrior, next game undo all the of the work by losing on turn 5 to secretdin with an 8/7 secretkeeper. ELE FUCKING GIGGLE

Change to patron, win 8 games in a row wih misplays. 4head.

Play hunter and double flare and double Kezan. Boom, problem solved. Also run Boom.

You'll win every game then...Unless it really isn't that big of a deal.

ZealousD

Play hunter and double flare and double Kezan. Boom, problem solved. Also run Boom.

You'll win every game then...Unless it really isn't that big of a deal.

Something doesn't have to be in literally every single deck in order for it to be a problem. Just because double flare double kezan is a bad idea doesn't mean that Mad Scientist and MC aren't overpowered and aren't detrimental to the game.

johnsmith

remember me
Never understood why people BM in favorable matchups.

Playing control Warrior and this midrange Druid is BMing me. Like yeah, no shit, you should be winning.
Get in the habit of squelching immediately every match. The fact that this isn't an option already is ridiculous, but then so is not having more than 9 deck slots ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Xanathus

Already so bored of the game and want the next expansion to be out. It feels like the time between expansion release and boredom gets shorter and shorter after each expansion.

clav

Fell from 6 to bottom 7 in just a span of minutes.

I hate this game.

Takes forever to ladder upwards.

Who said this was fun?

I don't get the mulligans I need.

Fell from 6 to bottom 7 in just a span of minutes.

I hate this game.

Takes forever to ladder upwards.

Who said this was fun?

I don't get the mulligans I need.

It happens, but sometimes you need to change up decks or alter yours for more consistency.

You're getting to the point where your deck alterations have a big impact. But you're also probably losing some because of mistakes as well.

clav

It happens, but sometimes you need to change up decks or alter yours for more consistency.

You're getting to the point where your deck alterations have a big impact. But you're also probably losing some because of mistakes as well.

Now rank 8.

I can't play other decks unless I put a bunch of money for packs or learn to Patron RNG correctly.

Seriously considering adding Blood Knight to my deck.

I would not be surprised to see Druid top Patron on the meta snapshot soon. The deck has become so refined that it's almost unstoppable in most matchups.

I dunno, dude, Patron is still a very hard matchup because of poor or no clears. Swipe isn't even an option, for obvious reasons, so if the Warrior gets the right cards in his hand you're simply too far behind too soon.

ZealousD

Oh man that was great. I looked through and found it in the VOD.

www.twitch.tv/bmkibler/v/18353761?t=209m30s

Holy shit that was a serious O-Face.

2XOqgvK.jpg

Boo, I checked the social media sites of my local coffee chains and the best offer is giving a free extra espresso shot for a drink.

Really? Around here (new jersey) both wawa (huge convenience chain) and dunkin donuts are giving free coffee.

It's almost a damn shame cause I want to go out to get a specific type of coffee but I already have 2 half drank cups of coffee sitting in front of me, and already one down the hatch.

johnsmith

remember me
Jesus christ, I can't get a win with patron today. Everything is so aggressive I need to burn all my combo pieces just trying to stay alive. If i do manage to flood the board with patrons, of course they always have the aoe required to clear. And lol at ever actually drawing emperor.

sibarraz

Banned
So, I went into a disenchant rampage just to craft nexus champion saraad and confessor paletress

I disenchanted epic and rares that I'm pretty sure I will not use soon

I made 1600 dust which plus the 1100 that I already had saved and the 500 that I will receive with my rank, I will craf those 2 legendaries.

Btw, are the gifts from the galaxy s6 promotion still avaliable?

ZZMitch

Jesus christ, I can't get a win with patron today. Everything is so aggressive I need to burn all my combo pieces just trying to stay alive. If i do manage to flood the board with patrons, of course they always have the aoe required to clear. And lol at ever actually drawing emperor.

These are the kind of things I like to hear! Always nice to see Patron decks do badly

So, I went into a disenchant rampage just to craft nexus champion saraad and confessor paletress

I disenchanted epic and rares that I'm pretty sure I will not use soon

I made 1600 dust which plus the 1100 that I already had saved and the 500 that I will receive with my rank, I will craf those 2 legendaries.

Btw, are the gifts from the galaxy s6 promotion still avaliable?

Hah so did I except I made saraad and antonidas. Just dusted some crappy legendary cards I never use anymore... like mukla.

Definitely was a worthy investment. Saraad is pretty cool in mage. And probably in paladin as well.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Used a pirate/oil hybrid for my rogue quest, actually went 5-1 and had a lot of fun. I really like buccaneer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom