• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT4| The warsong has ended, please patron other decks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xanathus

Blizzard has played it very conservatively with overload, generally. Totem Golem is probably as far as they've taken it. And it's a fine card imo. Its only problem is that it is built to answer 2/3's and 3/2's and nobody really plays those in Constructed on Turn 2 right now. It's all about Shielded Minibot, Haunted Creeper, Mad Scientist, Wyrmrest Agent. About the only thing Totem Golem can handle is Knife Juggler and Darnassas Aspirant.

It feels like Blizzard's design team is made up of several different people who work on cards by themselves separately and each person has equal say on what goes into the game. So what happens is that one person makes cards to balance out a meta, and then another person goes and makes changes that makes those cards completely useless. The biggest example I can point to is the nerfing of Gadgetzan Auctioneer when they also release a ton of anti-spell cards at the same time. In the same case with the Shaman TGT cards, I think someone made Shaman cards to carefully give them a fair boost over the GVG meta but did not look at all the other cards that were being designed so they still end up underpowered at the end.

22345.png

I still have no clue what blizzard was thinking when they made this card. How could anyone even think this card is worth its mana cost. Im so salty that Shaman got fucked again.

Prototype

So Evil Heckler is a better version of booty bay bodyguard, but is it a good 4mana card? Like sure it's better then it's 5mana counterpart, but there are a whole ton of other 4 mana cards that you could play.

Also, what do you guys think of Dancing Swords? I feel like if you can play one in the first 3 turns it is a really big threat for that early in the game. I've been using it alot lately and it always seem to pull it's weight insofar as it usually takes 2 cards to deal with it which covers it's deathrattle.

Dahbomb

22345.png

I still have no clue what blizzard was thinking when they made this card. How could anyone even think this card is worth its mana cost. Im so salty that Shaman got fucked again.
I don't know what you are talking about, this card is pretty decent especially if you have Lava Shocks in your deck. It's a staple of Control and Malygos Shaman decks. And getting this card in Arena is pretty sweet (statistically it's picked almost always as an Epic in Arena).

I could've done without having the randomness between 4-5 though, should've just been a flat 5 damage that was symmetrical.

Prototype

Good in arena, not good enough in constructed.

Not good, giving your opponent a card is way too valuable.

ya, I felt like Evil Heckler wasn't that good. I guess I could go back to something like Ironfur Grizzly over Dancing swords.

I feel like Deathlord is another card like Dancing Swords too.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
ya, I felt like Evil Heckler wasn't that good. I guess I could go back to something like Ironfur Grizzly over Dancing swords.

I feel like Deathlord is another card like Dancing Swords too.

Deathlord has some good uses atleast. It is incredibly good vs. aggro as they need to put a lot of effort to topple it and get some small scrap from it anyway, and someone like priest can keep the 8hp topped off(or buff it), even if it gets silenced it's a 2/8 body. Dancing Blades would only ever maaaaybe see play in a mill deck.

Also if you're looking for a basic taunt Senjin is still fine. Heckler having 4hp is the sore spot for it.

Yeah as above, the 4 health is the killer, same problem with grizzly at 3. You have to think "what does it die to?" and if the answer is pretty much any other 3 or 4 drop, plus those cards actually do other things or still survive (Like other 3/4 3 drops) it isn't a good card.

Senjin with the 5 health is the winner at a push. Deathlord is the other option, if you have answers to the worst case scenario. It can be a very strong card in the right deck.

So, my audio in Hearthstone is going haywire. Super crackly and repeating lines all the time. Anyone know what would cause that? It's perfectly fine outside of Hearthstone.

Pooya

secret midrange paladin plays deathwing to my patron board, lololol. talk about desperate measures more desperate even when I had not even used a single execute that game. obviously it didn't save him...

overall I guess Deathwing is seeing constructed play now!

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Plays 4 days

Two 12/2 Frothings out on the field. He kills one and drops Grim Patron like a dummy and I topdeck Battle Rage to draw into Unstable Ghoul to build up my sole frothing to lethal.

Pooya

Dragon priest cabals my unstable ghoul
Emoticon_laugh.gif
My thanks.

Darnassus Aspirant has made Druid so ridiculously broken now. Blizzard fucked up bad with that card.

Sometimes I wonder if they have different people working on different classes and if they have very little communication. We have that card and then there is Cutpurse, the disparity is appalling when ramp benefits druid's game plan way way more than a possible single coin does to rogue.

Dahbomb

It's possible that Cutpurse existed as a 2/3 and may have been deemed too powerful.

A lot of cards in TGT are like that where a stat here and there would make a card insane. Flipping the stats on King Mukla would make it a very powerful card for example.

Xanathus

It's possible that Cutpurse existed as a 2/3 and may have been deemed too powerful.

A lot of cards in TGT are like that where a stat here and there would make a card insane. Flipping the stats on King Mukla would make it a very powerful card for example.

Flipping the stats of 5/5 to 5/5, so OP. Kappa
373.gif

Cutpurse as a 2/3 would be playable. But yeah, you look at Wyrmrest Agent and Darnassus Aspirant, then look at Cutpurse and you wonder how that even happened.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Cutpurse needs to hit the face as well, which even as a 2/3 would be really relevant in a lot of matches. Like ignoring a juggler for a coin would be risky as fuck.

Pooya

Hitting face with cutpurse isn't so bad, I can understand that I guess. Rogue has a lot of ways to deal with other 2 drops.... IF they actually get a coin lol.

We now have this situation when 'life expectancy' of Aspirant is so good some players even coin it out. It's only really weak against warrior/mage. Paladins can't kill it. Against other druids is good as they have to waste a turn and valuable resources to kill it.

Meanwhile cutpurse dies to shielded minibot, mad scientist or living roots without doing anything. lol

Is there a druid aficionado here that wouldn't mind sharing what they feel would be a good starting deck for trying out druid?

Now to just overcome that ladder anxiety and play that hunter deck!

EDIT: Oh god, what a terrible top of page post. Sorry guys!

Ikael

It seems that people are realizing now that Blizzard gives two shits about balancing and improving their already released games (or about theoretical game design altogether), as if nerfing vulture into oblivion wasn't proof enough.

Anyways, there's still a long road to travel, classes are far from being balanced:

- Already very well rounded up classes: Paladin and Mage have incredibly varied viable playstyles. Priest is aaaalmost getting there too

- Powerful, albeit monothematic classes (little variety of strategies inside on single class): Hunter, Warlock, Warrior, Druid. They are indeed powerful, but they look quite "young" to me (each only have a couple of viable competitive strategies)

- Straight up garbage: Roge, Shaman. Overload sucks, totems still sucks, rogue is impossible to play withou oil, pirates are still an underdeveloped class, and so on, and on, and on. Problems keeps pilling up on these two, I fear.

Minsc

Gold Member
People like to point to overload cards like Fireguard Destroyer when pointing out good Shaman overload cards, but let's be honest, comparing even the best of the overload cards like that to something without overload that costs less mana like Flamewaker, I can tell you, Flamewaker has made me quit more games than Fireguard, and I feel it has a bigger board presence as well.

So generally even in the best case scenarios overload doesn't really impress like other class cards do.

I'm just thinking how shaman deals with stuff like secret paladin too when they don't draw a hex, and I imagine it's by using the concede button.

I'll echo Elemental Destruction and the other overload draw card are decent enough when you have a lava shock, but without it, quite less good, so they can't be very reliable.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
So much better to hit the ladder if you wait like 4 or 5 days after the month starts. Then shit seems to calm the fuck down a tad.

Vanillalite

Pro Tip for New(er) Mage Players

Save your dust and grab Pyro for only 400 dust. It's won me sooo many games, and its a great include for players that lack a full stable of legendaries to just auto include.

ParityBit

Pro Tip for New(er) Mage Players

Save your dust and grab Pyro for only 400 dust. It's won me sooo many games, and its a great include for players that lack a full stable of legendaries to just auto include.

A general question about getting dust. When I hit the crafting button I see a "Get Dust" button or something. Does that turn in all my cards over 2 automatically? I was wondering how I would do it since searching cards takes a while.

Yes, I am a noob.

Haunted

A general question about getting dust. When I hit the crafting button I see a "Get Dust" button or something. Does that turn in all my cards over 2 automatically? I was wondering how I would do it since searching cards takes a while.
Yep, that's exactly what it does.

Also, we were all new to the game once, no shame in asking questions!

Vanillalite

Yes, I am a noob.

Yep, that's exactly what it does.

Also, we were all new to the game once, no shame in asking questions!

This!

Ask away as it's better to know than left in the dark!

Draft

People like to point to overload cards like Fireguard Destroyer when pointing out good Shaman overload cards, but let's be honest, comparing even the best of the overload cards like that to something without overload that costs less mana like Flamewaker, I can tell you, Flamewaker has made me quit more games than Fireguard, and I feel it has a bigger board presence as well.

So generally even in the best case scenarios overload doesn't really impress like other class cards do.

I'm just thinking how shaman deals with stuff like secret paladin too when they don't draw a hex, and I imagine it's by using the concede button.

I'll echo Elemental Destruction and the other overload draw card are decent enough when you have a lava shock, but without it, quite less good, so they can't be very reliable.
First the overload cost, then the RNG on the damage/power! That's the real killer. Sacrificing mana on the next turn and ending up with a 4/6. Sacrificing two mana and leaving half the opponent's board alive with one HP. It digs a hole that lasts two turns.

Haunted

Another pro tip is that you can enter "new" in the search bar and it'll only show... well, the new cards in your collection.

Vanillalite

How would everyone feel if starting hands were increased?

Would you be for or against this idea? How much would be OK? I think 1 more card would be nice, and it could smooth out some things.

Dahbomb

How would everyone feel if starting hands were increased?

Would you be for or against this idea? How much would be OK? I think 1 more card would be nice, and it could smooth out some things.
It would be a significant change in the way a game would play out. It would change the dynamics of Handlock for one. It also makes combo decks stronger because it means they get their combo pieces quicker and it also means Emperor Balanced becomes stronger because it's bound to hit more cards in hand. So Grim Patron becomes even stronger.

Also way more Minibot/Muster for Battle openers from Paladin. Makes decks which need dream openers to win the game stronger (like Tempo Mage/Mech Mage with double Warper).

Buff to Mill/Fatigue decks as well because you fatigue one turn earlier.

Heropon

Legendary of the month adquired! And it was Ragnaros, my first legendary so it's another repeat!

I only have 7 legendaries (3 crafted) and I've already opened 4 repeats. The 400 dust transformed into frothings and armorsmiths so there's another patron warrior in the wild!

The good thing about this so far is that I've only opened decent legendaries and if they aren't they are golden (Tinkmaster), so no Milhouses or other crap.

Pooya

Patron is doing really good for me this season, a while back it was very rough to get wins with everyone teching against you, now looks like everyone is targeting paladins instead and every warrior I see plays control. I've played like 500 games with it now too I feel really good and more confident with it now. I take it it's boring to watch but it's the most fun deck to play. Some of these secret paly players get really salty btw lol.

Dreavus

Patron is doing really good for me this season, a while back it was very rough to get wins with everyone teching against you, now looks like everyone is targeting paladins instead and every warrior I see plays control. I've played like 500 games with it now too I feel really good and more confident with it now. I take it it's boring to watch but it's the most fun deck to play. Some of these secret paly players get really salty btw lol.

I've been playing the deck recently too. Biggest thing I'm having trouble with is knowing when to slam a patron down early on the back of a Death's Bite deathrattle and flood the board or save it for a big turn later on with frothings. That seems like the big call to make when playing.

I've been playing the deck recently too. Biggest thing I'm having trouble with is knowing when to slam a patron down early on the back of an Death's Bite deathrattle and flood the board or save it for a big turn later on with frothings. That seems like the big call to make when playing.

You need to know which matchups you win via Patrons (and how many you'll need to make to win) and which ones you win via Frothing combo.

For example, you kill Priest via Frothing combo so you can play a small Patron turn just to clear board and keep them busy while you build your hand and dig for emperor. Vs. Druid and Hunter you win via Patrons so you can just play out frothings for tempo.

Sometimes it is not so clear cut (especially in the Patron mirror) and you have to play it with what you have in hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom