• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT4| The warsong has ended, please patron other decks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Draft

"Oh, he has MCT."
"Oh, his Kezan is still in his deck"
"Oh, his Grommash is still in his deck"
"Oh, his Black Knight is still in his deck"

It's not always gonna be useful, but acting like it's completely irrelevant information is just rank 15-talk.
image.php
tfw I finish every season at rank 15.

slayn

needs to show more effort.
Ancestral Knowledge has no business overloading for 2. A card draw mechanic isn't even the kind of card you should be putting overload on. People generally use card draw when they're fishing for answers so borrowing tempo is much, much less important. I would much rather run Mana Tide Totem over this.
I don't agree with the idea that card draw shouldn't overload. I think card draw can make a great overload card if most of the cost is in the overload.

For example, what if ancestral knowledge were 1 mana, draw 3 cards, overload 4. In a situation where you desperately need an answer, this could find it and let you play it at the cost of your next turn which would be really good.

Or in a top decking situation it would be explosively game winning.

But yes currently it blows.

Hektor

That reveal mechanic is cool.
And the new ladder rewards are awesome.
That burglar cardart reminds me of the mcdonalds burglar for some reason.

Today is a good day for hearthstone.

Why am I not surprised that people complain that the new mechanic isn't brokenly overpowered.

"But sometimes I don't play against Aggro decks!! What do I do then?" Figure it out.

Rapstah

Why am I not surprised that people complain that the new mechanic isn't brokenly overpowered.

"But sometimes I don't play against Aggro decks!! What do I do then?" Figure it out.

There's like two people, can you quote them and call them out instead so you're not just shouting this into the void?

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
OK I AM LATE TO THE PARTY BUT I JUST READ ABOUT THE RANKED REWARDS

I CANT BELIEVE THEY ARE FINALLY DOING IT

HEARTHSTOEN IS BACK

That Tuskarr Jouster's turtle looks so happy!

RSLeCK9.png
They're just like that in WoW by the way, they're pretty great. What's even better is they make this constant noise too, don't know how to describe it, but it annoys some people.

I feel like Skeleton Knight is just a way to bait BGH. If you're running Joust cards, you're running a lot of fat minions, many which will probably have 7+ attack. His removal is wasted a bit if the card just goes back to your hand.

luoapp

The wording of reveal is so cumbersome.
Code:
 Reveal a minion in each deck. If yours costs more

Can't they just give it a new keyword, like "duel" or something.

Minsc

Gold Member
I feel like Skeleton Knight is just a way to bait BGH. If you're running Joust cards, you're running a lot of fat minions, many which will probably have 7+ attack. His removal is wasted a bit if the card just goes back to your hand.

It'd be ok if it went back in to play (ok it'd be really good and actually see play, this is a neat idea for a new way to make a sticky minion). Back in to your hand is horrible. The leftover BGH trades in to it again, costing you 12 mana (18 if you put it down a third time) for something they spent 3 on.

Regeneration would be a pretty neat idea, if you leave unspent mana crystals on your turn, and your opponent destroys a minion with regenerate (preferably one with taunt, so they don't just go face), the unspent crystals are used in returning it back to the board. Regenerate: 3 would need 3 crystals, while Regenerate: 1 would cost 1 crystal. The value of having the creature return to the board would determine the regenerate cost. So if you had a 2 mana 1/2, regenerate: 1, and did nothing on your your third turn, they'd have to kill the creature 4 times to actually finish it off, while if you only played a 2-mana spell, it'd be able to regenerate just once.

CoolOff

So, the whole "if you face Warrior at anything higher than 0-0 you know you're fucked" hit again. I was 3-1.

He did drop Shieldbearer T1, but then in order it went Fiery War Axe, Frothing, Death's Bite, Heroic Strike, Acolyte, Raging Worgen, Arcanite, Amani, Korkron, Mortal Strike.

Rip.

What are you going to use it on, a wolf rider? Wow you just killed a minion that was going to die anyway, here come two more.

As a control warrior, you are already killing all the shitty minions with your weapons. Extra armour to put you out of range and cards to give you options is why aggro is already not a problem.

OMG this handlock player has a molten giant!!!! Or in other words, when was the last time you got surprised by a card?
Kills a number of early game minions so there are many things that you can use it on. There are many instances where Shield Block is a dead on turn 3 and times where you don't have a weapon. Also, you can deal damage and take less on the face. It's a good alternative to have.

Rapstah

The wording of reveal is so cumbersome.
Code:
 Reveal a minion in each deck. If yours costs more

Can't they just give it a new keyword, like "duel" or something.

They call it "joust" everywhere except on the actual cards. I guess it's like the 50% miss ogres where it could easily be called something but they don't think they'll ever have to combine it with anything that that makes the card text too long.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Master Jouster stands out as having a lot of potential. For when it's coming out, the +1/+1 over Sunwalker is actually critical, since it lets it single hit creatures like Shieldmaiden, Sludge Belcher, Cabal Shadow Priest, Fire Elemental, and Highmane. It also puts its base health out of the range of several removal cards.

The biggest problem Sunwalker has is not that it's not effective against aggro, but that it isn't good enough when fighting other decks. This on the other hand certainly could be.

Obviously without the buff it isn't astonishing as generally no one runs Boulderfist Ogre, but it at least isn't a disaster.

Like it often barely matters that Chow is always a 2/3 because when you play against a Handlock that 2/3 is as completely dead as a 1/2 and the drawback can become an actual liability when you're trying to keep the Handlock at a specific hp range to burst down. Ditto vs other slow super control decks.

georly

They call it "joust" everywhere except on the actual cards. I guess it's like the 50% miss ogres where it could easily be called something but they don't think they'll ever have to combine it with anything that that makes the card text too long.

I'm sure if they ever wanna make a jousting card that has a 50% chance to miss, they might make joust and whiff keywords.

Ogre Jouster
5 mana
Whiff
Joust: This card does not have Whiff
6/6

Fireblend

Banned
Oh man, that ladder rewards thing is really good! And jousting seems fun.

Great news! And I just reached Rank 15 yesterday for the first time too :D

georly

Oh man, that ladder rewards thing is really good! And jousting seems fun.

Great news! And I just reached Rank 15 yesterday for the first time too :D

Yeah, I might actually try to play past rank 20 now. I currently only play arena/tavern brawl because I don't have much time outside of doing dailies, but now I might use ranked to do my dailies since there are actual rewards to look forward to.

Pooya

Ladder today is something, it's like people read the news are motivated to play again. Actually didn't see a single face deck at rank 18 EU. Some really weird stuff and a few legend players though. It's rough to climb right now.

Got OTK'd by priest running crazed alchemists, didn't see that coming.

Regeneration would be a pretty neat idea, if you leave unspent mana crystals on your turn, and your opponent destroys a minion with regenerate (preferably one with taunt, so they don't just go face), the unspent crystals are used in returning it back to the board.
I think this is an awesome idea. Gives people the choice to play out more than one minion or something that comes back. As well, if you don't kill it the first time it's played, you'd have the choice to leave mana available again. Best part is, they don't need lesser stats either because when played on curve, you'd spend all your mana.

I think it's a great idea but I think it sadly ventures into the 'too complicated' area. But who knows, things could change.

As a follow up, I agree that the 4 health on SkeleKight really sucks, but in my mind the ideal play would be something like, SkeleKight on 6, Boom 7, Rag 8, Neth 9, etc. Definitely a control deck card where getting it back to your hand multiple times is going to make the difference.

Edit: I feel someone who reviews cards will say something like, "Deathrattle: Draw SkeleKight 50% of the time."

embalm

They don't have a keyword so that it can combine with circumstances. We have a deathrattle joust and battle cry jousts. There might be an on damage joust or when attacking joust.

It unfortunate that there is so much card text, but I think it's the best way to get variety out of the mechanic.

After you read this post Reveal a minion in each deck. If yours costs more agree with this post.

Love the art for Burgle.
I agree, Burgle is the greatest card revealed for the art alone.

embalm

Joust VS Inspire
This expansion is really shaping up nicely. They have introduced 2 new control mechanics, both of which are great. They can work together or they can work in separate decks.

Joust - The reveal cards and gain a bonus if yours is higher cost mechanic.
It's the first mechanic to ever punish Aggro for being greedy. This is probably the first Random control mechanic introduced to the game, but that randomness disapears against aggo and becomes value. It will add a little something extra to those drawn out Control vs Control match ups also, where things get a little less predictable.

Inspire - The use your hero power to gain extra value mechanic.
The play it slow and steady control mechanic. If your opponent chooses to ignore your Inspire minions they will get buried under the value they could create. There is very little randomness for this mechanic, it's all about planning your turns and playing the minions that synergize the most for that turn.

I'm more excited than ever to build out new decks and try out the new cards.

I don't agree with the idea that card draw shouldn't overload. I think card draw can make a great overload card if most of the cost is in the overload.

For example, what if ancestral knowledge were 1 mana, draw 3 cards, overload 4. In a situation where you desperately need an answer, this could find it and let you play it at the cost of your next turn which would be really good.

Or in a top decking situation it would be explosively game winning.

But yes currently it blows.

1 mana draw 3 would be crazy with the coin. You could get 6 cards on turn 1, and all you'd have to sacrifice is turn 2 since Overloaded crystals don't carry forward if you don't have enough mana to lock.

slayn

needs to show more effort.
1 mana draw 3 would be crazy with the coin. You could get 6 cards on turn 1, and all you'd have to sacrifice is turn 2 since Overloaded crystals don't carry forward if you don't have enough mana to lock.
Given that shaman is my favorite class and their current strength as a class... sounds about right to me! ;)

Xanathus

I'm curious about what's the difference in ranked rewards between rank 5 and legend. 5 is relatively easy to achieve every month but fuck the grind to legend ain't nobody got time for that.

Pooya

I wouldn't expect amazing scale there. Look to arena, 12 wins award is not exactly too much better than a 10 win. And it takes quite a bit to get there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom