• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT4| The warsong has ended, please patron other decks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Adwcta reviews the TGT expansion for the Arena, Parts 4 and 5, focussing on the Joust mechanic, the new neutrals, amazing 2-drop commons for Druid, card draw for Shaman, a 2-mana Rare weapon for Paladins that will be one of the biggest cards of the new expansion in Arena, the Warrior class getting mugged yet again, and, most interestingly (IMO), class convergence.

His big fear about the new expansion and the road Blizzard's going down in general isn't power creep, but that by plugging in class weaknesses Blizzard will take away the element of individual class mastery that the Arena, in particular, requires and rewards. He's not too worried at the moment, but cards like Argent Lance and Shado-Pan Cavalry* will make Paladin and Rogue play a bit like other classes who are better in the opening turns or who have easier access to big guys. In any event, Inspire is going to pull the classes apart in this expansion - each card with Inspire text plays differently in every class by definition, but the Joust cards don't, and some weaknesses are being filled in (e.g. Shaman's card draw, though this probably should be happening because Shamans really need it).

*Something he didn't mention, but I will, is just how good this card is if you can hold the coin until turn 4 without falling too far behind. A T4 Boulderfist Ogre has few good answers for most classes.

Dahbomb

It's a very good thing that a card like Dreadstead is slow as fuck and does shit for damage with a weak ass body.

That card is the king of sticky Deathrattle annoying minions.

So it's a good thing that the card sucks.

Right, I mistyped. a 3/4 would be better.

Not for the suicide deck they're envisioning.

An aggro deck that uses beefy minions, instead of the usual cancer stuff could be interesting.

A 4/3 with coin on T1 is definitely a threat and will probably hit for 8 before your opponent can kill it and hit you for 3. It puts you ahead in the race, which will be all that matters in a deck like that.

It's a very good thing that a card like Dreadstead is slow as fuck and does shit for damage with a weak ass body.

But with the minion that makes all your deathrattles trigger twice, you'll have a board full of 1/1 that never die in no time.

For the record I think the card could definitely see play in constructed. Maybe in a deck tailored to it.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
screenshot_2015-08-10s7svg.png

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"

Somebody suggested it should be 2 mana And I was like... No. Just.... No.

Finalow

got to rank 20 without losing a single match, basic mage deck is pretty great in these low rank battles.

not sure however if I want to keep playing this, I like the game but 1) huge backlog and not much time to play to being with 2) it takes literally forever to get good cards/the cards I want without spending $$.

Raxus

got to rank 20 without losing a single match, basic mage deck is pretty great in these low rank battles.

not sure however if I want to keep playing this, I like the game but 1) huge backlog and not much time to play to being with 2) it takes literally forever to get good cards/the cards I want without spending money on it.

Play once a day, complete a quest/do an arena or once ever 3 days and clear out some of the quest log. You'll start building your set before you know it.

Is Brawl suppose to be random (like it said on the card) or is there like some hidden metric behind it? The last two times brawl been use against me I had 4 cards on board vs one and I lost....

I know there are cards that say "win brawl every time" but it wasn't one of those in either case...

Ketch

I'm terrible at arena. I thought it might be a little more fair then constructed but it seems like my Options are always bad when drafting.

ViviOggi

An aggro deck that uses beefy minions, instead of the usual cancer stuff could be interesting.

A 4/3 with coin on T1 is definitely a threat and will probably hit for 8 before your opponent can kill it and hit you for 3. It puts you ahead in the race, which will be all that matters in a deck like that.

But with the minion that makes all your deathrattles trigger twice, you'll have a board full of 1/1 that never die in no time.

For the record I think the card could definitely see play in constructed. Maybe in a deck tailored to it.
But that's still just 7 attack, you can't drop new minions unless you suicide your things and a single Belcher will eat all of them for a turn. I don't see this ever being worth the effort. There's cards like Raid Leader but still...

Is Brawl suppose to be random (like it said on the card) or is there like some hidden metric behind it? The last two times brawl been use against me I had 4 cards on board vs one and I lost....

I know there are cards that say "win brawl every time" but it wasn't one of those in either case...

Today I went up against a Midrange Hunter while I was playing Patron Warrior. I executed his Highmane and killed his Haunted Creeper while playing a Gnomish Inventor and pulling some armor off of an Armorsmith and Whirlwind. At the end of my turn, I had a 2/3 Gnomish Inventor and he had 2 2/2 Hyenas and 2 1/1 Spectral Spiders. He drops Dr. Balance for a full board and runs everything into face. That's fine, I've got Brawl, Fiery Win Axe, and 7 mana. I can board wipe everything and kill whatever's left over with the axe, so long as it's not Dr. B. So much for that plan. Dr. B. wins an 8 man brawl and proceeds to destroy my face the next turn.

Ultrabum

It's random, you forgot to pray to rngeesus

But that's still just 7 attack, you can't drop new minions unless you suicide your things and a single Belcher will eat all of them for a turn. I don't see this ever being worth the effort. There's cards like Raid Leader but still...

There is also demon wrath, power overwhelming and even fuse before malganis.

You get a board full of demons you can't kill and you'll be able to do some stuff.

Since in a deck like that you wouldn't even be able to play other minions once the board is full, I'm thinking you'd be running lots of demon buffs. So sure, Belcher might slow you down a little, but you can still kill most of what he drops in a turn and still do some damage to face.

Whether getting the combo out is too slow remains to be seen, but once it's out it's certainly powerful.

Edit: It's 7 attack distributed every way you want every turn. That's probably worth a lot of mana.

Can't wait for that Arena game where as Warrior, you have Piloted Sky Golem on board and Warsong Commander in your hand, and clear the opponents entire board with the Dreadsteed that pops out of the Golem.

Ultrabum

Can't wait for that Arena game where as Warrior, you have Piloted Sky Golem on board and Warsong Commander in your hand, and clear the opponents entire board with the Dreadsteed that pops out of the Golem.

Don't worry the resummon animation takes 30 seconds preventing this, Kappa.

Tacitus_

But there's so much 3 damage removal. Only priests and paladins can't clear a 3 health minion on turn 2 and rogues might take some luck to do it. If it were 4 hp, it'd survive everything sans flame cannon and might actually be useful. As it is, it looks like a worse flame imp to me

V-Faction

I've been waiting for a card like Dreadsteed where it summons itself upon death over and over. 4-mana is the right amount for such a card, and so are the stats. Any more and it would be overpowered, and any less it would be utter trash. Ride now, I feel like it straddles the line. Though, with Inspire and cards like this I feel as though Silence effects will be premium.

inky

Okay, so I didn't exactly design Dreadsteed, but I came pretty close.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=163862326&postcount=10087

I actually thought it might have been too strong if you could attack with it every turn at the time. I don't know if I agree with that anymore, but the fact that I designed it as a neutral is worth mentioning.

That's interesting.

I've designed a few cards every now and then but never posted them. Maybe I should just in case Blizzard steals my idea :p

Opiate

I think a more reasonable, actually functional use of dreadsteed in the current meta would be as warlock, with faceless manipulator dreadsteed in hand.

You can potentially clear an entire board of patrons with that combination.

But there's so much 3 damage removal. Only priests and paladins can't clear a 3 health minion on turn 2 and rogues might take some luck to do it. If it were 4 hp, it'd survive everything sans flame cannon and might actually be useful. As it is, it looks like a worse flame imp to me

But that's true for pretty much all 2 mana drops except Shielded Minibot and Annoy-o-tron and they still see play. He has to waste his entire second turn and then you'll have a tempo advantage (and be down 3 health). Still seems playable to me.

The drawback is much better than discarding a card IMO.

Edit: With dreadsteed undertaker might see play again.

CoolOff

I just faced a golden Mage at rank 15 that played Spellbender, Wee Spellstopper, and Gurubashi Berserker. The rest was standard Tempo Mage with Antonidas for a finisher.

I lost and my reaction wasn't really "oh cool an innovative deck" as much as:

giphy.gif

Dahbomb

The culprit is Warsong Commander.

It has ALWAYS been Warsong Commander.

They said they are going to nerf it (or at least considering it). This would be the 2nd time they nerfed Warsong Commander.

It's initial incarnation was "give your other minions charge". Yes it could give ANY OTHER MINION charge! This was incredibly broken with Molten Giants.

Then they changed it to its current form.

Last night some mage cock block me with Ice block.... so next turn he summons the dragon that sends him back to 15 HP. Then after that double heal bots. Then I killed one of the heal bots (yes I'm an idiot excuse me) and it was the secret to send 2 back to his hand. So in total Ice block stopped the lethal, Dragon send his ass back to 15 HP. Two of those antique healbots for +8. Then I gave him two more healbot for another +16.

Lulz..... Eventually it went on long enough and he has 7-10 drop dragons all on the board.

inky

Last night some mage cock block me with Ice block.... so next turn he summons the dragon that sends him back to 15 HP. Then after that double heal bots. Then I killed one of the heal bots (yes I'm an idiot excuse me) and it was the secret to send 2 back to his hand. So in total Ice block stopped the lethal, Dragon send his ass back to 15 HP. Two of those antique healbots for +8. Then I gave him two more healbot for another +16.

Lulz..... Eventually it went on long enough and he has 7-10 drop dragons all on the board.

That dragon mage deck is cool

Pooya

Tried HDT see what it does. Well, for constructed and decks I'm familiar with it's mostly useless other than that auto stat tracking and auto deck imports are nice. I like it for arena though, I might forget that I have actually only one fireball here or things like that. It's good to have there.

What I find most useful, is keep/mulligan indicators, it's hard to keep track of it in the opening behind the black color filter and it can go really fast. It's quite good to have that there, I feel like it's cheating... it shows how many cards you have in your hands in case not to mill yourself if you still can't count too! Probabilities are cool to have, but not exactly important, you can tell what you have in your constructed deck.

Overall, I think for new players it's insanely useful. like when somebody plays a secret, it lists all of the class secrets on top and you can hover and see what they do, if you don't have the card and class knowledge yet like I imagine most new players won't gather any time soon, then this tool can be really good and accelerate their learning of the game.

manhack

I want to know what kind of voodoo Trump is using to get so many people to watch his boring ass stream

He got in in the ground floor, takes the game seriously, he's inoffensive and he puts out regular content.

Hes still boring, but sometimes boring is good.

CoolOff

Does two Prophet Velen's on board at the same time give 4x on all effects? I Thoughtstole one but never got mine and my opponents at the samt time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom