• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT4| The warsong has ended, please patron other decks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Opiate

You'd have to build a very different deck than the one I'm playing to make Varian work. My warrior runs lots of battlecry minions, as do many other control warrior decks.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Varian is pretty incredible. Will craft on launch. Wish I had Ysera too though. Stuff like that is where the combo potential really gets going.

I think Rhonin could be very good too. It could replace Toshley for Antonidas synergy or you could use it in something like a Malygos deck. It's also not bad if you happen to draw your Flamewakers super late.

It's not a "holy crap" effect like Varian's but it could be a really solid card.

georly

Deathrattle put 3 arcane missiles? That looks like it should be a battlecry to make the card really good, but what do I know :p

Well, you slap him down, if he gets silenced, that's one less silence for your archmage the next turn. He's a total silence taunt.

If he doesn't, you now have 3 1-mana spells, 9 damage, and 3 fireballs with archmage.

You'd have to build a very different deck than the one I'm playing to make Varian work. My warrior runs lots of battlecry minions, as do many other control warrior decks.

You could make a deck with a bunch of charge minions. Get a 7/7, Grom, and 2 Korkron Elites for 10 mana. Arcane Golem and Leeroy would be great there too. Kel'Thuzad could be really good if you pulled him and two chargers because you could board wipe the other guy and get them back at the end of the turn.

How many Legendaries do we have now that give you lots of cards? Neptulon gives you four Murlocs, and now Rohnin and Wrynn also give you three cards(Though Wrynn is from your own deck). Guess you could count Anub'Arak as well technically, he 'draws' himself and a Nerubian.

New card revealed on Lifecoach's stream.

lifecoachi2qe7.jpg

georly

Yeah, I think varian + the new warrior cards announced will make a great taunt/charge deck.

Taunts to help you survive to turn 10, then varian to summon 3 big charges, stuff with negative battlecries, like leeroy, golem, etc.

georly

Darn too late

I wonder if it can summon huffer/leok/misha/doggies or if it follows webspinner rules.

You basically need to summon a beast of 3 mana or more for it to be worth it, not to mention the conditional. Unless you're running a brand new beast deck, I don't see this being great. Not great at all in arena.

slayn

needs to show more effort.
I love Varian. Yeah you might lose out on battlecrys but free beefy minions is still crazy powerful. Even if you don't get any free minions, 10 mana 7/7 draw 3 is not the worst. Consider ancient of lore, which is crazy good, and for 3 more mana you get 2/2, draw a card, and sometimes you draw like 5 innervates.

I think it's easy to see Control Warrior being melded to make Varian work. Paying 10 mana on one minion would hardly be a downside if Varian brought out Ysera alone. Ysera + Ragnaros + Sylvanas would be game over.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I figured that Rhonin would be something along the lines of "Deathrattle: Jaina goes into rage mode", but wasn't sure what that would be. This seems workable.

Varian Wrynn. Holy shit. Day one golden craft.

Drawing three cards at once is a powerful thing but playing them also is just amazing if you get minions.

Only thing is is that CW thrives on playing minions that do things when they are played so the timing may be bad. Also, he's very expensive so I'd have to run him in a deck with Thaurissan.

I'm interested to see if he'll fit but it'd have to be a Warrior deck that is a bit more cut down as far as minions with battlecries.

Rhonin is Antonidas food. Period.

Pooya

Rhonin never see play.
Varian, control warrior to win all top deck wars.
Hunter card, blizz you killed beast hunter, it's not coming back without card draw.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Varian seems crazy strong. The only downside is that he plays poorly into Brawl or Equality. I'm just imagining somebody playing him and out plops Ragnaros, Sylvanas, and a Sludge Belcher.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Varian Wrynn. Holy shit. Day one golden craft.

Drawing three cards at once is a powerful thing but playing them also is just amazing if you get minions.

Only thing is is that CW thrives on playing minions that do things when they are played so the timing may be bad. Also, he's very expensive so I'd have to run him in a deck with Thaurissan.

I'm interested to see if he'll fit but it'd have to be a Warrior deck that is a bit more cut down as far as minions with battlecries.

Rhonin is Antonidas food. Period.

I don't think it's very hard to get to 10 mana with a Control Warrior, and at that point you've just put a 7/7 and up to three other minions on the board.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Rhonin never see play.
Varian, control warrior to win all top deck wars.
Hunter card, blizz you killed beast hunter, it's not coming back without card draw.

I think Rhonin is solid for freeze mage or other mages that run archmage. Replaces stuff like toshley.

Yeah, Toshley is the main comparison point here. It's two more mana, but you get more usable spells.

That said, how many decks run Toshley at this point?

He can be great even if you don't get the battlecry, for the sheer swing he can provide on board.

At the very least he draws 3 cards which is great when CW faces control decks or runs out of gas vs. a mid-range deck.

I don't think it's very hard to get to 10 mana with a Control Warrior, and at that point you've just put a 7/7 and up to three other minions on the board.

True. Just pointing out it's expensive. Expensive, but insane even for that cost.

I will attempt to put it in multiple Warrior decks.

Opiate

Rhonin is poor man's Dr Boom but for 8 mana

And far more vulnerable to silence. It hurts me inside every time I have to silence a 1/1 minion that was summoned as just a little add on to a big 7/7 minion, and even then, Boom has one unsilenced bot left.

Opiate

He can be great even if you don't get the battlecry, for the sheer swing he can provide on board.

At the very least he draws 3 cards which is great when CW faces control decks or runs out of gas vs. a mid-range deck.

Yes, I'm not saying he's bad, just not my type of card at all. I am a very value oriented player.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom