• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT6| C'THUN for President! Why pick the lesser evil?

Maximo

Kel is OP as fuck, play only decent minions and spam your hero power.
8JUjNzI.jpg

Dahbomb

Lightlord is a good card*. Clutch healing if you need on your face, big threat that you need to clear. Very good against aggro as it can heal your face for 8 and they have to kill it which is potentially another 8 damage you healed effectively.

*If BGH is nerfed. If not then this card will probably not see play.

Honestly this is the best Paladin Legendary since Tirion.

Ridli

New Rag is weird, not really bad, but definitely weird. I hope he has a place in the upcoming meta b/c it'd be nice for weird cards like that to be viable.

Lore-wise I don't believe there is any real information on what the elemental lords were like prior to the influence of the Old Gods. I'd imagine Rag was still kind of a fiery jackass. I mean, I guess he might have been a paladin in the same way that Sunwalkers are paladins through An'She, but that doesn't really matter.

What's really interesting about Ragadin is that this indicates that Blizz is willing to print alternate versions of previously released characters. I'd like to see cards like "Kel'Thuzad, Necromancer" or "Ranger General Sylvanas" show up in future sets.

Edit: Oh ha! Forgot about Hogger and Hogger, Doom of Elwynn. Bring on more versions!

ZenaxPure

Lore-wise I don't believe there is any real information on what the elemental lords were like prior to the influence of the Old Gods. I'd imagine Rag was still kind of a fiery jackass. I mean, I guess he might have been a paladin in the same way that Sunwalkers are paladins through An'She, but that doesn't really matter.

Nah, Chronicle totally covers what the elemental lords were doing prior to the old gods (mostly being dicks to each other and fighting). This is just a fun little twist on the norm, which seems to be a theme with this card set.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I just don't like the idea that it's going to heal some random dude who only had 1 damage all the time, like with lightwell.

The thing with lightwell is that it's cheap, so you're not as upset when your 2 drop does something stupid.

But when your 8 drop does something stupid and effectively becomes a vanilla 8/8, that's bad news.

The thing with lightwell is the ping strategy is really easy due to it having no attack and just being an HP pool. It makes it very easy to split damage and run a weak minion in and attack face with something else to trigger the heal in a not effective way, and there's no way to punish this happening.

With this Rag, some cheeky play like that means they're leaving an 8/8 in play and it's not like the old Rag where they can flood the board and leave it to RNG to avoid his blast. You can smash them in the face for trying this, and since it's at the end of your turn you get to make the trades you want unlike lightwell. Plus his initial impact of hitting the board means you are guaranteed getting an 8 hp heal on something, likely your face since you get to play the turn out.

Then the snowball effect of it in a late game control match where removal was spent is pretty huge. Even getting this off of the Monkey seems pretty amazing since it can trade with most legendaries and if your HP evens out it'll keep itself alive.

...unless it just dies to BGH.

I know BGH is a hotly debated card, and I see it as fair game for getting changed in Standard. That being said, if the game does slow down, wouldn't control decks move into running a lot more heavy handed cards as finishers? If you run one target, wouldn't you want to run multiple?

Basically, depending on your matchup, shouldn't you be thinking about which cards you'd want to be sniped so your others live? I feel like that should be an important strategy to figure out, especially for a deck focused on constantly controlling the board.

Papercuts

I know BGH is a hotly debated card, and I see it as fair game for getting changed in Standard. That being said, if the game does slow down, wouldn't control decks move into running a lot more heavy handed cards as finishers? If you run one target, wouldn't you want to run multiple?

Basically, depending on your matchup, shouldn't you be thinking about which cards you'd want to be sniped so your others live? I feel like that should be an important strategy to figure out, especially for a deck focused on constantly controlling the board.

I think this tends to already happen. See a class like Priest that actually doesn't tend to run a disgustingly good card like Boom because it'd be a one off BGH target that wouldn't otherwise exist.

Usually if you put boom in the deck there's atleast one more big target to snipe. I also play Renolock like this and try to bait BGH on boom or Stalagg so Thaddius so they can't easily get through molten or thaddius if it comes to that.

Ridli

Nah, Chronicle totally covers what the elemental lords were doing prior to the old gods (mostly being dicks to each other and fighting). This is just a fun little twist on the norm, which seems to be a theme with this card set.

Oh wow, I did not know about Chronicle. Looks like it was just released, will probably have to take a look.

There are plenty of good cards that BGH can't target, and it's better to just play them.

For example, Obsidian Destroyer is a great card. But instead of running two Obsidian Destroyers and Dr. Boom to play around BGH, I would rather just play some <7-attack minions like Sylvannas, Ysera, and Loatheb. Now, instead of losing a card to BGH, I am nullifying my opponent's BGH by giving it no targets. Doesn't that sound better to you than losing a 7-mana card?

Zoggy

hearthstones main pitch is "or you could forget all 'dat, and just have fun!"

they don't care about lore and are just making cards because fuck it

Dahbomb

When you get your big minion BGH'd then you forfeit tempo and board position. It can be a game losing situation.

Unless it's Dr Boom because a major chunk of that cards power are the bots.

Biochet

lightlord could work in reno paladin but aside from that this shit is useless in constructed

only in arena if the other picks sucked ass

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Also don't that light lord will show up from golden monkey, I think he will be strong in warrior decks if you get him that way.

KuroNeeko

I don't play Paladin, but Lightlord seems pretty decent to me--especially if BGH gets nerfed.

It's an 8/8 body and the heal is pretty nice too.

Acerac

Banned
Why would you let Ragnaros heal a minion for 1?

I guess it's a mediocre card if you don't know how to play. Otherwise it seems quite good.

Szadek

The new paladin legendary might be good enough for murloc paladin, very maybe control paladin and that's about it.
I guess it's fine in arena. 8/8 for 8 and (probably) heal face for 8 sounds ok.

Xanathus

Lightlord is not a bad card in itself, it can be good in long game Paladin decks like Murloc Paladin or Control Paladin but the problem is that those decks haven't been strong and Murloc Paladin is heavily nerfed in Standard.

Papercuts

I really hope they keep the explosive sheep + poison seeds interaction as is because playing a druid deck with it is actually pretty damn fun.

Sande

Absolutely, but the cards that do the sniping should still be reasonable instead of completely busted like BGH.

georly

I still hate that to herald in the new standard format, a way of starting anew, what do they do? Attempt to nostalgia bait by printing weaker versions of phased out cards or 'flip-the-table' version of older cards. :/

I think MTG at least had the decency to wait over a decade before doing something similar.

Literally THE VERY FIRST standard expansion mostly just harkens back to old cards. I love the idea, I just wish they had waited at least a year before doing this. This set should have been all new, all fresh ideas :/ Instead, it guarantees that some ideas will stick around for ANOTHER 2 years. /rant

That said, rag looks cool, wonder how often he'll be used. He's the opposite of current rag in more ways than one, as he's not *AS* useful the same turn he's dropped as the other rag is.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
I really hope they keep the explosive sheep + poison seeds interaction as is because playing a druid deck with it is actually pretty damn fun.

Eh... that interaction will also clear a board full of Dreadsteeds, which sucks.

Absolutely, but the cards that do the sniping should still be reasonable instead of completely busted like BGH.
Fair enough.

I guess as a neutral card, it is a powerful as a class card focused on removal. The only other card that comes close is Rend and he was hardly ever used. Granted, that might be a fault of Dragon decks over the card itself.

Xanathus

Still need to know the changes happening to Standard cards, but so far from what I've seen with the expansion cards revealed it looks to me like they aren't making cards that balance the classes that suffer the most from the removal of Naxx and GVG. At this rate the Standard meta is going be similar to how unbalanced Hearthstone was just prior to Naxxramas where secrets aren't played, and Hunter and Warrior were dead classes in constructed. However this time Druid is relegated to only Ramp archetype, Priest has a pretty powerful Dragon Priest, Shaman is the top tier aggro deck, and Zoolock might not be as consistent without 0 mana Soulfire.

edit: Didn't comment on Rogue because Malygos Rogue might be top tier but I don't play it enough to tell

jgminto

Still need to know the changes happening to Standard cards, but so far from what I've seen with the expansion cards revealed it looks to me like they aren't making cards that balance the classes that suffer the most from the removal of Naxx and GVG. At this rate the Standard meta is going be similar to how unbalanced Hearthstone was just prior to Naxxramas where secrets aren't played, and Hunter and Warrior were dead classes in constructed. However this time Druid is relegated to only Ramp archetype, Priest has a pretty powerful Dragon Priest, Shaman is the top tier aggro deck, and Zoolock might not be as consistent without 0 mana Soulfire.

edit: Didn't comment on Rogue because Malygos Rogue might be top tier but I don't play it enough to tell
We've barely seen any of the new cards so far, there's still over 100 left to be revealed. It's pretty absurd to make a comment like that.

Ladekabel

Even though I pretty much hate Secret Paladin (and for that the whole class), I enjoy playing Midrange Paladin. At least I don't feel guilty and dirty while playing it.

Edit.: And I can't wait for when they nerf spells so only minions can be targeted. Dying to the hundreth top-decked fireball isn't so much fun.

gutshot

Even though I pretty much hate Secret Paladin (and for that the whole class), I enjoy playing Midrange Paladin. At least I don't feel guilty and dirty while playing it.

Edit.: And I can't wait for when they nerf spells so only minions can be targeted. Dying to the hundreth top-decked fireball isn't so much fun.

You're going to be waiting quite a while for that one.

One of the things I really like about Patron Warrior is my lack of susceptibility to this kind of thing. After learning how to play the matchup, I haven't lost to a single Freeze Mage. They can drop Alex and knock me to 15 health, but I still have 27 armor for them to blow through, and they just can't do it.

Especially since the last Freeze Mage I fought put an Acolyte on the screen, and I noticed his hand had 9 cards in it, so I put an Inner Rage on him and pinged it for 1 with an Armorsmith to make him overdraw. He had to discard Pyroblast. :-D

Ladekabel

You're going to be waiting quite a while for that one.

One can dream.

One of the things I really like about Patron Warrior is my lack of susceptibility to this kind of thing. After learning how to play the matchup, I haven't lost to a single Freeze Mage. They can drop Alex and knock me to 15 health, but I still have 27 armor for them to blow through, and they just can't do it.

Especially since the last Freeze Mage I fought put an Acolyte on the screen, and I noticed his hand had 9 cards in it, so I put an Inner Rage on him and pinged it for 1 with an Armorsmith to make him overdraw. He had to discard Pyroblast. :-D

Armor can't help you as a Midrange Paladin sadly. Topdecking Truesilver or Healbot can but I wasn't as lucky. My opponent even topdecked Arcane Intellect and the second card was fireball. Can only be topped by topdecking Ethereal Conjurer into discovering Fireball for lethal.

But I'm going to miss Death's Bite coming Standard. Patron Warrior is one of my favorite decks. Pre- and after-nerf of Warsong Commander. Guess I have to save up for Control Warrior.

Pooya

We've barely seen any of the new cards so far, there's still over 100 left to be revealed. It's pretty absurd to make a comment like that.
Maybe, but design patterns in the set are starting to emerge. You can extrapolate a whole lot of things now actually even with just a third of a set. Like warlock isn't getting any spell comparable to implosion or dark bomb. New warlock spells are done, we've seen all of it. Warrior is unlikely to get two weapons in a set, hunter cards continue to be about not going face and some kinda absurd value game plan instead, paladin is healadin now etc. Or what the power level of most new minions is going to be like, like deathrattle cards in particular, is quite clear.

One can dream.

Armor can't help you as a Midrange Paladin sadly. Topdecking Truesilver or Healbot can but I wasn't as lucky. My opponent even topdecked Arcane Intellect and the second card was fireball. Can only be topped by topdecking Ethereal Conjurer into discovering Fireball for lethal.

But I'm going to miss Death's Bite coming Standard. Patron Warrior is one of my favorite decks. Pre- and after-nerf of Warsong Commander. Guess I have to save up for Control Warrior.
One thing I've learned about top decking is that the absurdity of the top deck relates to how deep you are in the deck. For example, I had a Druid to 1 health, and he used Azure Drake + Swipe to wipe my board. I had nothing in my hand. I top decked a Fiery War Axe, and he probably felt salty. But I only had 10 cards left in my deck, and I had only drawn 1/4 weapons so far. So there was really a 30% chance of me getting a weapon for lethal, which isn't insignificant at all.

Armor does strike me as potentially imbalanced, since it can go so far above health. I fought against a CW this weekend, and he got to 74 health total between his armor and health. It's...pretty hopeless at that point.

Tarazet

One thing I've learned about top decking is that the absurdity of the top deck relates to how deep you are in the deck. For example, I had a Druid to 1 health, and he used Azure Drake + Swipe to wipe my board. I had nothing in my hand. I top decked a Fiery War Axe, and he probably felt salty. But I only had 10 cards left in my deck, and I had only drawn 1/4 weapons so far. So there was really a 30% chance of me getting a weapon for lethal, which isn't insignificant at all.

Armor does strike me as potentially imbalanced, since it can go so far above health. I fought against a CW this weekend, and he got to 74 health total between his armor and health. It's...pretty hopeless at that point.

If I'm playing Patron, I just concede when I see Shieldmaiden. That's how bad the matchup is. One of our win conditions is easily countered by Execute, and the other is easily countered by Brawl. Once that's taken care of it's pretty hopeless.

More of a bother for me than topdecking in mid / late game is just getting a horrible mana curve with my starting cards.

After getting to 16 last night, I dropped back down to 18 due to having like 5 games where I'd mulligan a 5/5/6 draw to get an 8/1/5 draw...

When more than a third of my cards were below 3 or less mana, it seemed a little absurd to get such horrible starting hands for quite a few games.

However, I ended the losing streak by beating a Paladin while I was at 1 health for around 4 turns. It was nerve wracking, but Kel'thuzad came through for me big time.

Tacitus_

If I'm playing Patron, I just concede when I see Shieldmaiden. That's how bad the matchup is. One of our win conditions is easily countered by Execute, and the other is easily countered by Brawl. Once that's taken care of it's pretty hopeless.

I wouldn't concede before your board gets brawled and you don't have anything to go on. It's completely possible to run them over if they don't draw it, or if they only run one and you just make a new patron board after the first one.

Yeah, a lot of people seem to not realize that just because you lost via a top deck does not mean that the other person got lucky. The other guy could've had lots of cards that would have finished you off and he drew one of them, but people seem to think that they drew the exact card that would have saved them.

fertygo

Salty about "topdeck" is the stupidest thing ever, if your opponent have answer in his deck its shouldn't matter he get it from convenience draw or not.. if anything you're the lucky fuck if your opponent can't answer because he don't have the card at hand.

Dahbomb

Top deck is inherent to card games, can't really get salty over it. They don't call it the heart of the cards for nothing.

That said you also can't really play every turn as if your opponent will top deck the best response. You will lose games if you play that defensively.

Top Bottom