• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT6| C'THUN for President! Why pick the lesser evil?

Ladekabel

this is the new aggro shaman card:

635968410370188792.png

I read somewhere that some says that it won't be played since Earth Elemental costs 1 mana more and has taunt.

Milennia

it's super slow, doesn't have taunt and kills your minions. chillmaw barely sees play. rhonin seems more attractive because of yogg. but no idea if that's actually going to be good, either. hella fun, though.

Chillmaw is pretty damn easy to play around and has a condition, this card is a battle cry near guaranteed full board clear that lives with an 8-6 body

Never mind he kills himself read the card wrong it's shit

Pooya

earth elemental is overload 3! but now with that other card overload might not be a big deal. I've seen some aggro shamans play earth elemental actually.

-------------

the mage legendary is awful but at least it's better than the warrior one kek.

I'm excited for Shaman and Priest. My two favorite classes look like they'll be competitive to some degree at least.

Also looking forward to just going full Control Priest in Wild with the new cards. All I want to do is steal and clear all my opponent's stuff until they get so salty they quit. Ah, that'll be fun. If I'm lucky each match will last at least 20 minutes.

Apathy

Forbidden Shaping vs Forbidden Ancient.

One is always a set body with set stats, and one is a random one of x mana cost. Which would come out better

Dahbomb

Chillmaw is pretty damn easy to play around and has a condition, this card is a battle cry near guaranteed full board clear that lives with an 8-6 body
Might want to read that text again friend.

Forbidden Shaping vs Forbidden Ancient.

One is always a set body with set stats, and one is a random one of x mana cost. Which would come out better
I am going to go ahead and say Forbidden Ancient.

Forbidden Ancient is always going to be an overcosted minion (4 mana 4/4, 5 mana 5/5.. no effects) where as for Forbidden Shaping most of the cards are better than those stats for the cost used. So at 2 mana you can still get a Razorfen Raptor which would be better than Forbidden Ancient.

They both aren't that good to be honest.

That Shaman 7/7 is like a Fel Reaver with a way smaller drawback and you can play it a turn earlier. Like you could coin it out on turn 3, fuck me.

And it's common?????

Ladekabel

After being first soured by the stuff Priest got, I'm now pretty stoked for C'Thun Priest!

And also costs one more overload.

This is an aggressive card, Earth Elemental isn't really an aggressive card.

earth elemental is overload 3! but now with that other card overload might not be a big deal. I've seen some aggro shamans play earth elemental actually.

Earth Elemental overloads for 3, which is way worse.

I know. I believe it was in some Facebook comments so I didn't take it seriously.

Dahbomb

There are like only two board clears in this expansion and both are pretty mediocre to be honest.

LMAO @ Control meta. Sure thing Blizzard.

I read somewhere that some says that it won't be played since Earth Elemental costs 1 mana more and has taunt.

this comes out sooner and has less overload, will only exist with a 5 mana BGH and isn't vulnerable to silence like fireguard.

now, when the rubber hits the road who knows but this has potential.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
There are like only two board clears in this expansion and both are pretty mediocre to be honest.

LMAO @ Control meta. Sure thing Blizzard.

We got quite a few solid taunts though.

Silverback Patriarch got dumped on, lol.

Ladekabel

Anyone else bothered by the lack of board clears? Not only is that relevant for Constructed play but for Arena too.

I am. I don't think Shadow Word: Horror is bad but it would be better if it included 3 attack minions but then it would probably be nuts.

not really any board clears cycling out of standard. blade flurry is the only big change in that regard.

this expansion reinforces the dynamic of minions beating each other up while spells and weapons are used to create swing turns as you fight for tempo.

Lightbomb, dude!

Anyone else bothered by the lack of board clears? Not only is that relevant for Constructed play but for Arena too.

not really any board clears cycling out of standard. blade flurry is the only big change in that regard.

this expansion reinforces the dynamic of minions beating each other up while spells and weapons are used to create swing turns as you fight for tempo.

ViviOggi

Absolutely, I posted something in that regard a while ago where I was dreaming of a board clear expansion. While there was no consideration for the format change - i.e. most of the sticky garbage going away - back then, they went the opposite route and actively took away one of the few good board clears in addition to another one leaving standard in Lightbomb. Unless they print more board clears or like spam 10 good taunts each expansion the onus will forever be on the defending player, which is a highly problematic foundation for the game.

ZealousD

More relevant for arena than constructed. Classes can continue to use the board clears they have already. Sucks for Priest because they lose Lightbomb but I don't think other classes necessarily needed new clears. For most classes, having more than one is only relevant for fatigue or Reno.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
Absolutely, I posted something in that regard a while ago where I was dreaming of a board clear expansion. While there was no consideration for the format change - i.e. most of the sticky garbage going away - back then, they went the opposite route and actively took away one of the few good board clears in addition to another one leaving standard in Lightbomb. Unless they print more board clears or like spam 10 good taunts each expansion the onus will forever be on the defending player, which is a highly problematic foundation for the game.

The clears that exist don't even necessarily completely clear. Flamestrike only does 4+spellpower and there are LOTS of minions now that will have much more HP than that by 7 mana. Consecrate hasn't been guaranteed to clear in a long time. Lightbomb and Blade Flurry were the only 2 that had scaling to acutally reliably make a clear. They just don't want that in the game I guess.

Copenap

That Druid legendary seems way to strong.

Edit: Or does the legendary have to be alive? I initially assumed the effect remains.

Dahbomb

Poison Seed is gone, Druid's only real board wipe combo.

Blade Flurry is super nerfed.

Lightbomb removed.

Death's Bite was a great removal plus cleared trash minions.

No Explosive Sheep.

It's not just a lack of board clears but there's a lack of new weapons too. We got what... 3 new weapons... maybe 4 if you include that 1 mana Warrior card?

And there's a lack of single target big removals too. They nerfed three big removal options in the game and then they didn't provide more class specific options to remove stuff.

Mage got removal as if Mage needed yet another removal in their arsenal... and Warlock got a board wipe as if they needed yet another board wipe. Classes remain in their written in stone archetypes.

ZealousD

Its not like Poison Seeds and Explosive Sheep were meta defining cards.

I am going to go ahead and say Forbidden Ancient.

Forbidden Ancient is always going to be an overcosted minion (4 mana 4/4, 5 mana 5/5.. no effects) where as for Forbidden Shaping most of the cards are better than those stats for the cost used. So at 2 mana you can still get a Razorfen Raptor which would be better than Forbidden Ancient.

They both aren't that good to be honest.

Wait, isn't Forbidden Ancient a 4 mana 5/5? It's base stats are 1/1 and it gets +1/+1 for every mana spent on summoning it, so it should actually be better than average if you use all of your mana on it.

Dahbomb

Its not like Poison Seeds and Explosive Sheep were meta defining cards.
So? They were options in the game that allowed for combos/control and could've seen more play with more cards. Poison Seeds in particular seems pretty decent right about now with all these big non Deathrattle minions existing in the game.

Wait, isn't Forbidden Ancient a 4 mana 5/5? It's base stats are 1/1 and it gets +1/+1 for every mana spent on summoning it, so it should actually be better than average if you use all of your mana on it.
You are paying 1 mana for 1/1 then each mana you spend after that adds +1/+1.

So if you are at 2 mana, you spend 1 mana to summon the 1/1 and then the remaining mana makes it a +1/+1. If it costed 0 mana then yeah what you said was true but it costs 1 mana just to play (unlike the other Forbidden cards that cost 0).

Pooya

the card itself cost 1 mana unlike other forbidden cards.

You are paying 1 mana for 1/1 then each mana you spend after that adds +1/+1.

So if you are at 2 mana, you spend 1 mana to summon the 1/1 and then the remaining mana makes it a +1/+1. If it costed 0 mana then yeah what you said was true but it costs 1 mana just to play (unlike the other Forbidden cards that cost 0).

Oh, I thought it was a 0 cost like the other Forbidden cards. That's significantly worse.

the card itself cost 1 mana unlike other forbidden cards.

That sucks. I thought the card was going to be pretty good.

I would like to know that too. Does is start back at zero or does it keep all its previous buffs?

That's a good question. I kind of see the buffs on C'Thun while he's still in your deck 'held' somewhere, probably just on the card itself. Once on the board, cards that buff him will just buff him.

However, once removed, I could see the counter getting reset since all buffs leading up to then are 'consumed,' by that instance of C'Thun. It's just going to take some experimenting to find out.

Dahbomb

Dude we started this conversation by you thinking that we needed board clears for a control meta. Losing board clears that aren't meta defining won't affect the meta.
We are talking about different metas here.

Poison Seed is awful in a meta where everyone is playing Deathrattle minions but in a meta where they are playing large minions with no Deathrattles it's actually pretty good. I would like it if Druid has retained that option but they aren't.

Furthermore Druid is losing the Combo Druid archetype so they either need to play an aggressive/tempo style or play slower with a Ramp/Control playstyle. Hard to play a control playstyle when you have piss poor board control options.

And that's the theme of this expansion... if you couldn't play a control playstyle before then you aren't playing a control playstyle going into the next expansion.

Shields Up Aggro Paladin

What am I missing? anything I should be cutting?

Why not use Argent Horseriders? And seems like you want at least one copy of Stand against Darkness too for synergy with Warden and Knife Juggler.

I would also use Pagle in there instead of Mukla. Already enough 3 drops, you could use a solid 2 drop to play.

The priest reveals today look like angsty teens and one slightly resembles a bootleg Avatar. sigh... They're decent cards but I look over at the once dead Shaman class and I'm highly jealous. At least rogue still has it worst than us. A lot of the cards are steal worthy, so I'll be changing a lot of minds when the new standard hits!

That bloodhoof brave is a prime target against control warriors worth stealing.

Top Bottom