• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT6| C'THUN for President! Why pick the lesser evil?

I have this problem where the higher my winrate is, the more annoyed I get when I lose. I'm cool as a super sea cucumber, but then I'm going fucking crazy on ladder. Dropping easy 70-80% winrates, and I lose one game to a bad matchup and, whelp, that's it. I'm out. See you later, folks.

I'm never going pro. :c

Dahbomb

I think it's an oversight that there is no way to debufff opponent's C'Thun.
9415.jpg

Come on man, Blizzard got you covered! That counter play son!

gutshot

It's called a prediction. It may or may not come true, but we put the thoughts out there because this thread is for talking about the game we play.

I know. I'm just making jokes.

I don't think C'Thun decks will be OP though. Not if the whole deck is reliant on being able to draw and play a 10 mana card by turn 10. But maybe there is a way to fit a C'Thun package into a deck as an alternate win condition.

Pooya

The druid one will kill you without even drawing C'Thun. 3 taunts on board with 4-5 attack on each? savage roar, You Died.

You play savage roar for sure, the card is too good not to play in a midrange deck. maybe only 1. You don't need combo or a token deck for that card to be good.

C'Thun decks have an issue with playing a bunch of minions that don't really do anything until you get to turn... 6? 7? As far as actual C'Thun cards go. I guess there is always Panda Raiden.. who is a 2/1 for 3... so I guess you play all these cards to make a giant 10 drop.. and hope that your opponent loses his arms at some point and can't do anything in the way of killing you.

Yogg-Saron is pretty sweet though. You just do your thing, and then turn 10 you spend all your mana playing a card that may or may not do anything of value.

Pooya

Druid doesn't need to wait until turn 6-7 to play a 6-7 mana minion. That's why that deck is going be good. Some of these C'Thun support cards are actually insane and do a lot.

clav

I played an opponent twice in arena after he beat me once.

How is this possible? That means the game paired me with him when he was 5-1 and I was at 6-1 and again when he was at 6-1 and I was at 6-2.

Run ended at 6-3. Saw 3 murloc knights. Claimed he also had 3 Uldamans.

Nothing a hunter can do except face.

manhack

I played an opponent twice in arena after he beat me once.

How is this possible? That means the game paired me with him when he was 5-1 and I was at 6-1 and again when he was at 6-1 and I was at 6-2.

Run ended at 6-3. Saw 3 murloc knights. Claimed he also had 3 Uldamans.

Nothing a hunter can do except face.

This happened to me yesterday. I played a priest with double holy nova, Paletress, and some other amazing shit and I lost both times even though I drew like a God.

aggro is dead, huh? i'm gonna have to play wild to get my games in on breaks...and even then i'll probably just run into a million heal/taunt decks during 9-5 games, blah

Tarazet

aggro is dead, huh? i'm gonna have to play wild to get my games in on breaks...and even then i'll probably just run into a million heal/taunt decks during 9-5 games, blah

Face Hunter is probably dead. I think Shaman will still work. Both of them will slow down which should make midrange decks relatively stronger.

Pooya

so about Doomcaller.

If your C'Thun is taken by Sylvanas or is entombed then later dies, does it still count as YOUR C'Thun?

Face Hunter is probably dead. I think Shaman will still work. Both of them will slow down which should make midrange decks relatively stronger.

What exactly makes Shaman slow down again? I keep hearing this, but I'm not seeing it. It loses Crackle. It still keeps the degenerate weapon capable of dealing 16 damage by itself.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
People saying got luck drawing that legendary, please remember there is a card which tutors for a 10 mana card at the start of your turn.

Yes obviously your opponent will try and kill it immediately, but even if they do that's one less terminal fit your other big threats.

Pooya

Brode commented on flurry nerf on stream. In short, they're trying to build an identity for the class and with a storng card like flurry they can't build any other new kind of deck. They're trying a new direction with huckster and burgle and things like that and that the class should not have access to good board clears like flurry (wut?), he didn't even talk about face burst but that it's too easy to wipe boards with flurry. um.

Pretty much what we figured out, rip.

Dart

Can't wait to see everyone's screenshots of opened card packs

Golden Legend, multi-legend... The first boogeymonster

jgminto

Brode commented on flurry nerf on stream. In short, they're trying to build an identity for the class and with a storng card like flurry they can't build any other new kind of deck. They're trying a new direction with huckster and burgle and things like that and that the class should not have access to good board clears like flurry (wut?), he didn't even talk about face burst but that it's too easy to wipe boards with flurry. um.

Yeah, let's not give the most health reliant class a reliable board clear. What an amazing design decision.

fertygo

This happened to me yesterday. I played a priest with double holy nova, Paletress, and some other amazing shit and I lost both times even though I drew like a God.

Kripp goes 3-3 with Insane priest draft just few days ago

priest just so shit at arena

I just want to point out people said rip rogue many times before, especially GVG where it turns out oil was a top tier deck for a while.

There was also a long time during classic and naxxramas where rogue only ran 1 blade flurry anyway (signaling perhaps rogue is less reliant on blade flurry than we think). I'm not saying it's not a huge hit to the class. And I'll miss blade flurry being awesome perhaps more than most here, but I don't think the class is dead. In fact, I think they got the most good new cards compared to any prior expansion in WOG. We'll see if rogue can pull something together.

The new identity seems to be providing more tools, so perhaps the board sweeps are less necessary if rogue can keep up in trading.

edit:
Also, I think that if the meta does slow down even a little bit (which I think is a granted) rogue gets stronger. If blade flurry didn't exist in this meta, my god... rogue would be worthless. So in wild, rogue is worthless (probably - who knows). But now with druid combo being gone (and some other burst combos like combo lock), and a lot of super efficient early game minions, perhaps rogue is a bit less reliant on heals. If rogue can fight well early game with the tools they are providing, then board clears and healing is less valuable anyway. And maybe just a 1 of blade flurry is enough. And if not, rogue has always been quite capable at seizing board control due to backstab, si7 agent, and cheap removal (and shadowstrike is amazing imo btw).

We're sorta back to a rogue that thrives on living on the edge of disaster. Using it's hp just enough as tempo to gain board tempo.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
anyone else making a list of what legendaries they want? I have 7 from the old gods, and then 3 from the base set. Just decided to craft al akir the windlord today to finally get my first shaman legendary. Still have enough dust to craft 4 legendaries... and going to be a lot more come tuesday :D

anyone else making a list of what legendaries they want? I have 7 from the old gods, and then 3 from the base set. Just decided to craft al akir the windlord today to finally get my first shaman legendary. Still have enough dust to craft 4 legendaries... and going to be a lot more come tuesday :D

So far I have my eyes on xaril, lightlord, n'zoth, and the twins... plus c'thun of course. Plus I kinda want malygos but if it's bad in rogue now I'm not gonna bite.

There are a couple I might craft... the warrior one, malkorok, could be pretty baller in face warrior.

If I craft all those, I'll still have spare dust for 2-3 but I prob won't craft the ones I want more for fun quite yet.

Pooya

Also, I think that if the meta does slow down even a little bit (which I think is a granted) rogue gets stronger. If blade flurry didn't exist in this meta, my god... rogue would be worthless. So in wild, rogue is worthless (probably - who knows). But now with druid combo being gone (and some other burst combos like combo lock), and a lot of super efficient early game minions, perhaps rogue is a bit less reliant on heals. If rogue can fight well early game with the tools they are providing, then board clears and healing is less valuable anyway. And maybe just a 1 of blade flurry is enough. And if not, rogue has always been quite capable at seizing board control due to backstab, si7 agent, and cheap removal (and shadowstrike is amazing imo btw).

We're sorta back to a rogue that thrives on living on the edge of disaster. Using it's hp just enough as tempo to gain board tempo.

flurry had another purpose that let you out race aggressive decks. It's not going to work now. One way I usually get to beat aggro shaman is to flurry their feral spirit turn. It's very hard now. Now face decks were the worst match ups anyway but some ok match ups like freeze mage or midrange hunter look very very hard in standard. I'm not sure what's even good for the class.

Shadowstrike should be good in a midrange meta, it hits a lot of things and I think you have to play two since you can't let their board get over 2-3 minions.

Overall I think it will be very challenging to play rogue in standard. Pros and in tournaments in particular, generally shun RNG cards like huckster. Competitive decks in general go for as little RNG as possible, shredder was just too good not to play. I don't think huckster will make it or rogue in general. That's disappointing to see. on ladder sure.

bord

Neo Member

Princess Huhuran
Ragnaros, Lightlord
Xaril, Poisoned Mind
Hallazeal
N'Zoth

Cairne and TBK are the only Classic cards that are worth getting that I'm still missing.
I have 7000 gold saved up, so hopefully I won't have to craft too much.

Joco

So is Blizzard going to update the card collection when wotog hits? It'd be nice to have all the cards separated by classic, and then the expansions for standard, and then finally all cards for wild.

fertygo

Yeah, but it most likely will be the only viable type of deck for rogue at least until next expansion. Control and combo without board clears and sustain isn't feasible, just look at hunter.

At least Rogue have no issue Drawing, Hunter folks only play 10 card per game and its still hasn't changed

ViviOggi

I couldn't care less about their silly "play overcosted cards to gain random cards with no discount" identity, which would be fine if they didn't fucking murder Rogue's real one

I just want to point out people said rip rogue many times before, especially GVG where it turns out oil was a top tier deck for a while.

There was also a long time during classic and naxxramas where rogue only ran 1 blade flurry anyway (signaling perhaps rogue is less reliant on blade flurry than we think). I'm not saying it's not a huge hit to the class. And I'll miss blade flurry being awesome perhaps more than most here, but I don't think the class is dead. In fact, I think they got the most good new cards compared to any prior expansion in WOG. We'll see if rogue can pull something together.

The new identity seems to be providing more tools, so perhaps the board sweeps are less necessary if rogue can keep up in trading.

edit:

OG Rogue vs Face Shaman is gonna be Freeze Mage vs Warrior tier. And Face Shaman will be more common than Warrior ever was.

Tarazet

What exactly makes Shaman slow down again? I keep hearing this, but I'm not seeing it. It loses Crackle. It still keeps the degenerate weapon capable of dealing 16 damage by itself.

Leper Gnome, Crackle, Whirling Zap-o-Matic, Haunted Creeper, and the smaller Knife Juggler are the big ones. Not that they were all used in the list, but they would have been the obvious fallbacks and now they are all gone or much weaker.

FeD.nL

Face Hunter is ded, most component either gone or very garbaggio now

Ah well, mid range is going to be strong. With 2x Dr. 8 in the deck and having access to the most powerful sticky minions in the format.. Like if you don't completely deal with either the infested wolf or highmane and the tokens live you're looking at 9 or 11 damage CotW turn spread across 3 bodies protected by a 5/4.

Still mind blowing to me that they didn't nerf freeze Mage at all.

That deck is going to be absolutely everywhere in both Standard and Wild and it's going to be really fucking annoying.

Still mind blowing to me that they didn't nerf freeze Mage at all.

That deck is going to be absolutely everywhere in both Standard and Wild and it's going to be really fucking annoying.

I guess they are betting on c'thun decks countering it. Or more to the point, they are betting on people spending a few months trying to counter it. If it doesn't work out, they can always nerf again.

ngt

Would anyone be willing to help me get Khadgar hero? I've got money in my battle.net account but don't have or know anyone with an iPhone.

ngt

How does that work? Can you pay via your Battlenet account?

I honestly don't know, I've got zero experience with iPhone. On Android I can pay using my battle.net balance for regular heroes and packs so I assume it should be the same here. I just wanted to eliminate the need to use PayPal, but I'll adjust to whoever decides to help.

KuroNeeko

I honestly don't know, I've got zero experience with iPhone. I just assumed it would be possible and eliminate the need to use PayPal, but I'll adjust to whoever decides to help.

I don't mind helping, but I think it requires your Battlenet account name and password. AFAIK, you have to pay via credit card or iTunes credit, as well, neither which can be gifted.

Xanathus

So glad that I got Golden Druid before Standard, from the looks of things Druid will still be competitive in the meta but will require a bunch of new (expensive) cards like Fandral Staghelm to be top tier.

Top Bottom