• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT6| C'THUN for President! Why pick the lesser evil?

Went from 750 dust to 6935 after disenchanting everything. I'm sure I'll recraft some stuff, Jugglers especially, but it'll be nice to have a decent dust reserve going into WoG.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Fandral to me seems like a worse Brann. That makes it fair IMO. Not over powered, broken like some people are stating it to be.

Hence why I submitted it as an "overrated" card though I still think it's a good card that could see play.

The difference between Fandral and Brann is that Brann doesn't necessarily double the power of the card, but Fandral very often does, or maybe it does even BETTER than double. That is because most Battlecry cards don't have most or all of their value on the battlecry, but Choose One cards often have their full power as two different options.

Imagine Brann in Dragon Priest.

Wyrmrest Agent is a 2 mana card, and gets half a mana of value with Brann.
Twilight Guardian is a 4 mana card, and gets half a mana of value with Brann.
Blackwing Corruptor is a 5 mana card, and gets a maximum of 2 mana of value with Brann (there is often overkill)
Blackwing Technician is a 3 mana card, and gets an extra 1 mana of value with Brann.

You kind of get my point here. A lot of battlecry minions only have a small portion of their value off their battlecry. Further, because of the limitations of battlecries and the targeting requirement, some battlecries whiff or do nothing if played twice. Dark Iron Skulker, Void Terror, Ironbeak Owl, Sunfury Protector, Big Game Hunter, etc.

This is why when Brann is usually played, he is usually played with battlecries that do a LOT. Antique Healbot. Abusive Sergeant, Azure Drake, Dr. Boom, Twilight Drake, etc.

A lot of Choose One cards however, especially the spells, scale INCREDIBLY.

Raven Idol. 1 mana spell, replaces itself. You essentially pay one mana to get a flexible option. With Fandral, you gain card advantage and get two discovers. If Raven Idol let you discover a minion and a spell every time, it would be an extremely good 3 mana spell and might even be fair at 4 mana.

Wrath. 2 mana spell. When paired with Fandral, Wrath becomes Deal 4 damage to a minion and draw a card. That's arguably a better card than SWIPE in a lot of situations. And normally, a 4 damage cantrip would be 5 mana, although that might be slightly overcosted if it could only target a minion. But EXTREMELY good at 4 mana. That's a SUPER Mortal Coil.

Living Roots. 1 mana spell. When paired with Fandral, Deals 2 damage and spawns 2 tokens. That's essentially the lower limit on Implosion. If you spawn 2 Imps on Implosion, that was essentially as good as a 3 mana spell. So this scales ridiculously.

Nourish. 5 mana spell. Holy shit. You ramp for 2 mana AND you draw 3 cards. You just won the game.

And even if you get the effect on a minion, you are very often getting an additional 1-2 mana of value. Which is more than can be said for most battlecries. And of course with Living Roots, Raven Idol, and Wrath, because these effects are so cheap, it's much easier to do these as a combo with Fandral than you would with Brann and a more expensive battlecry minion. You can't Brann into Healbot on Turn 5 or 6.

Oh, and did we mention his statline? He's a 4 mana 3/5. And because very few things in the game deal 5 damage, that means a 4 mana 3/5 is better than a 3 mana 2/4. You might feel pretty bad dropping Brann on curve, but you won't feel that bad about dropping Fandral on curve.

So to summarize.

1.) Choose One spells scale extremely well.
2.) Choose One spells are often much cheaper than the battlecry minions you play with Brann, making it easier to combo.
3.) Choose One effects rarely whiff or overkill.
4.) Fandral is a better body on curve than Brann.

Fandral is not a worse version of Brann.

Fandral kicks the shit out of Brann.

iuuk

These nerfs helped me get from 14000 dust to 22225, they need to do this more often!
No they don't, the only reason I didn't disenchant some of these cards was because of the heads up when they announced the new expansion

Still have over 11k in 'double' golden cards (regular playset in collection) and regular doubles left, anyone think there is any reason to keep those (couldn't care less about golden cards, but would care about extra dust from nerfs, one of my coubles is Thermaplugg for instance)?

Fandral kicks the shit out of Brann.

You are listing two card, 10 mana combos. If that works crazy Brann combos will work just as well. Actually most things are crazy with two cards and a lot of mana.

I think Kripp is right, the card is only ok and druid can build better decks.

Steward of Darkshire and Nerubian prophet were good cards to highlight. I forgot all about Steward because it wasn't going to be any good with Divine Favor nerfed....Then Divine Favor didn't get nerfed.

So yeah, will be running that.

inky

Fandral + Raven Idol will probably be the more consistent use of the card. In a slower meta it is a powerful combination for sure.

Hycran

Banned
Fandral plus nourish is so good. It's hard to think of a bigger dream, as the impact is so much value, even more than darkwispers

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Fandral into Nourish on curve seems like it'd be fairly common and it's not very easy to take out the 3/5 when it's played.

And nourish seems like a more natural include with lore neutered.

Got back up to 4000 dust after disenchanting all the nerfed cards I have. I would love to start crafting some new WotOG cards but am kinda afraid I would craft something that I don't end up liking. What is everybody's crafting strategy? Just go ahead and craft the cards you like or taking a wait and see approach to see which decks work which doesn't.

Why are you guys d/e'ing nerfed cards? You don't want to use them just because they got nerfed? Or is there some loophole that I'm missing?

Player base is going to be limited to just the people that have the same update on you. So all mobile players and everyone that hasn't logged out to get the update on PC won't be able to be matched up with you.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Why are you guys d/e'ing nerfed cards? You don't want to use them just because they got nerfed? Or is there some loophole that I'm missing?

The disenchanting cost is the same as the crafting cost. There is no penalty for dusting. If you decide you want to use the card in a deck, you can just craft it again. No loss.

You can dust the cards now and then open them in a pack later too, in which case it would be worth more dust now than it would be later.

Top Bottom