• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT6| C'THUN for President! Why pick the lesser evil?

One thing I really want to see with buffs and decks that have synergy is adding types to minions. For example, it would be great if that Mark card made any non-Beast a Beast, while also keeping it's current effect. That way you can still work in decent cards while also keeping a deck archetype.

No idea on how strong/bad that would be though.

Ridli

Druid card is great. Druid of the wild, claw for sure. Probably not good enough to run flame. But raptors and savage combatants would love it.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
So here's the full list of valid Beast Druid cards in Standard (as so far unveiled): http://www.hearthpwn.com/cards?filt...ased=1&filter-type=4&filter-class=5&display=3

You could probably make something remotely workable, but it definitely doesn't look like a top tier deck.

We're looking at something like Druid of the Saber, Power of the Wild, Mark of Y'Shaarj, Mounted Raptor, Druid of the Flame, Druid of the Claw, Savage Combatant, Strangletooth Tiger, and um... they really need some late game Beasts.

Pooya

They need cards that are "if you have a beast, do something broken" That's the only way any tribe deck has worked out in this game. Wildwalker is mediocre compared with blastmage or blackwing corrupter. Those cards are the main reason you want to play those tribes, then you have a bunch of solid cards that support them but those are not enough on their own. Beast druid has a lot of support cards but lacks that one card with the punch.

It's going to be an aggressive deck, you're buffing a minion and drawing a card and druid has a lot of beasts that help with early board control and then ending the game in mid turns. It doesn't need late game, 5 mana minions could be the top of the curve.

You know, it's true, Kibler really does look like he could play Reynad's father in a Broadway musical of Hearthstone.

yezTzK4.jpg

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
They need cards that are "if you have a beast, do something broken" That's the only way any tribe deck has worked out in this game.

I mean that's kind of what this is. +2/+2 for 2 mana is already decent, adding a cantrip onto it is pretty nuts.

ZealousD

Turn 1 Angry Chicken. Turn 2 Mark of Y'Shaarj.

Same with Young Dragonhawk.

BELIEVE

Pooya

I mean that's kind of what this is. +2/+2 for 2 mana is already decent, adding a cantrip onto it is pretty nuts.

It's not going to swing the board or anything. You get a card, that's good, the immediate board impact is average. Look at this then look Keeper of Uldaman, that's a broken card. That too can put +2/+2 on board (if you have a recruit) plus a 3/4 for 2 more mana and can possibly do a whole lot of other things worth more than drawing a card. The deck needs cards of that power level. This is just a support card, for a beast deck to draw cards. You only have this and wrath, nothing else. You're not going to play Nourish(lol) in a deck like this.

So here's the full list of valid Beast Druid cards in Standard (as so far unveiled): http://www.hearthpwn.com/cards?filt...ased=1&filter-type=4&filter-class=5&display=3

You could probably make something remotely workable, but it definitely doesn't look like a top tier deck.

We're looking at something like Druid of the Saber, Power of the Wild, Mark of Y'Shaarj, Mounted Raptor, Druid of the Flame, Druid of the Claw, Savage Combatant, Strangletooth Tiger, and um... they really need some late game Beasts.

I think the deck recipe showcases well what a midrange beast druid deck can be. Jewelled scarab and tomb spider are cards that can give it flexibility plus some legs. I don't think their late game must be beasts. And sometimes power word shield is actually a dead card because you don't want to draw cards. In the case that you buff a non-beast, the new mark is still a buff card but won't get you further into fatigue. Perhaps one of the two other gods will fit.

And maybe all they need is 1 or 2 good 6+ beasts to make it work. The new mukla and maybe one other. And don't forget knight of the wild... if drawn at the right time, knight could be something that really pushes a lot of stats on the board for cheap.

Priest card - I thought "Why would you run this over Lightbomb?" But remember Lightbomb is gone in Standard. But still, Priest has enough board clears as is.

Druid card - Solid.

Turn 1 Angry Chicken. Turn 2 Mark of Y'Shaarj.

Same with Young Dragonhawk.

BELIEVE

Turn 1: Angry Chicken
Turn 2: Mark of Yeezus > Draw into either Innervate or Wrath > Use both Innervate and Wrath to hit your Chicken for 1 to Draw again and Enrage > Hit face for 8
Turn 3: Since you Drew into both Druid of the Fang and/or another Innervate with your Wrath, play Druid of the Fang > Hit Face for 8 again
Turn 4: Hit Face for 15 and you win

Easy Game, Beast Druid to rule the ladder with it's unstoppable turn 4 lethal.

ZealousD

It's not going to swing the board or anything. You get a card, that's good, the immediate board impact is average. Look at this then look Keeper of Uldaman, that's a broken card. That too can put +2/+2 on board (if you have a recruit) plus a 3/4 for 2 more mana and can possibly do a whole lot of other things worth more than drawing a card. The deck needs cards of that power level. This is just a support card, for a beast deck to draw cards. You only have this and wrath, nothing else. You're not going to play Nourish(lol) in a deck like this.

First of all you're assuming a beast deck won't play Ancient of Lore.

Second of all, buffs like PW:S, Velen's, and Blessing of Kings can swing the board. And this is a similarly statted buff with card draw. This is an auto-include in any Druid Beast deck, period.

Peléo

I am a bit late, but still want to talk about this card.

I8KUXKPZSP3R1458754832347.gif

How can people think this card is not good enough?

Obviously, as all high-mana cost cards, it only sees play in slower metas. Many people, including myself, failed to correct judge the value of Misterious Challenger, because we thought the need to fill the deck with subpar cards (paladin secrets) would compensate for the insane "play cards for free and thin your deck" effect. It did not and misterious challenger is one of the most played cards in the current meta.

N´Zoth is basically the same concept, however, you don´t even need to fill your deck with crap to gain value. If you run Sylvanas, the card is already a 10/12 divided in two bodies with Deathrattle: Steal a minion. In Paladin you basically play with two Tyrions. In Hunter it summons two Highmanes. Dragon Priest you have Chillmaw. Rogue is the most promising though: Anub´arak, Tomb Pillager, Thalnos and the two new minions.

The biggest problem is the lack of immediate board impact. Unless you summon a Taunt Minion, the opponent may kill you the following turn before you are able to get any value from N´Zoth.

inky

This is my current Beast deck, give or take a couple of tech cards:

If they nerf the obvious offenders, + the ones rotated out, we are looking at about 10 cards that will need subbing out. It's gonna look a lot different.

Pooya

First of all you're assuming a beast deck won't play Ancient of Lore.

Second of all, buffs like PW:S, Velen's, and Blessing of Kings can swing the board. And this is a similarly statted buff with card draw. This is an auto-include in any Druid Beast deck, period.

If there is a Lore worth playing...

I didn't say you won't play this, just that its power level isn't anything worth building a deck around. Even less than class cards that don't rely on any tribe synergy. The deck needs something like a blackwing corrupter, a minion that does something. Right now the best they have is druid of the claw, the rest are just bunch of stats at best.

It's possible that standard druid runs enough beasts to just include this card anyway. It's about as good as mark of the wild anyway. And DOTC + Savage combatant are beasts. If you're running the mounted raptor or another beast card, maybe a one of is fine. I don't think it's outside the realm of possibility with this card.

edit:
Druid of the saber is the other druid beast card that might be ran outside of beast druid.

Tacitus_

Man, clearing a secret paladins board in one aoe, only to redemption to proc AND avenge to proc on the resurrected minion sucks ass. (and boombots doing 6 to face on the same turn of course)

And DF drawing 5 cards for 3 mana

ZealousD

Peléo;199544138 said:
How can people think this card is not good enough?

Obviously, as all high-mana cost cards, it only sees play in slower metas.

The biggest problem is the lack of immediate board impact. Unless you summon a Taunt Minion, the opponent may kill you the following turn before you are able to get any value from N´Zoth.

Sounds like you answered your own question to me.

The card will be fine in wild where you might get double Sludge Belcher but otherwise it will be hard to find a time to play this card.

Dahbomb

It's possible that standard druid runs enough beasts to just include this card anyway. It's about as good as mark of the wild anyway. And DOTC + Savage combatant are beasts. If you're running the mounted raptor or another beast card, maybe a one of is fine. I don't think it's outside the realm of possibility with this card.

edit:
Druid of the saber is the other druid beast card that might be ran outside of beast druid.
Druid has a solid beast from 2 to 5 mana and they are all solid minions by themselves.

Only issue is that there's no late game Beast finisher for them. They don't have a Dr Beast. And with Combo going to be nerfed they need that extra flavor to push them to be strong.

If Savage Roar gets changed to something like Beast only then that might be enough to push Beast Druid over the top.

ZealousD

edit:

Don't forget Mounted Raptor.

ViviOggi

Depends on the incoming deathrattle cards, I'd rather N'Zoth be a worthless card than another influx of sticky deathrattle garbage. As it stands Midrange Paladin might run it as the ultimate cancer bomb but hopefully that class stays gutted beyond tier 3.

Druid has a solid beast from 2 to 5 mana and they are all solid minions by themselves.

Only issue is that there's no late game Beast finisher for them. They don't have a Dr Beast. And with Combo going to be nerfed they need that extra flavor to push them to be strong.

If Savage Roar gets changed to something like Beast only then that might be enough to push Beast Druid over the top.

I don't think they necessarily have to have a beast late game. As I mentioned in my other post is that sometimes drawing a card isn't all that great anyway. Plus knight of the wild can be a pretty good late game card just to push out a lot of stats for a low cost. They probably do need at least 1 or 2 decent 6+ beast cards... and maybe the new mukla fills one of them.

edit:
I think knight of the wild is indirectly buffed by this card, because knight of the wild seems like a card that benefits from a deck with more card draw.

Don't forget Mounted Raptor.

That is the one I didn't forget.

Apathy

Sounds like you answered your own question to me.

The card will be fine in wild where you might get double Sludge Belcher but otherwise it will be hard to find a time to play this card.

I still think paladins will use it with sylvanas and tirion is going to run it and then just have an otherwise normal deck around it. It does not need modifiers like cthun, so just think of it as another legendary that resses two legenderaies that got played and died already

Priest card - I thought "Why would you run this over Lightbomb?" But remember Lightbomb is gone in Standard. But still, Priest has enough board clears as is.

Druid card - Solid.

Well priest have excavated evil for 5 mana - deal 3 damage to everything, give the card back to your opponents with holy nova for 5 that does 2 damage or auchenai + circle for 4 mana that does 4 damage to everything. Priest keep having to damage their minions to get any form of good board clear.

Tarazet

All that and Tom's card sucks

4 mana spell Priest card, destroy all minions with 2 attack or less. WAY too situational

Zoo insurance is nice, but how often is it going to be worth its mana over SW:p? Not too many matchups where that's going to be a thing.

Peléo;199544138 said:
I am a bit late, but still want to talk about this card.
I plan on making a Handlock deck if the Giants aren't dead, and putting Dreadsteed + N'Zoth in it. The idea would just be that N'Zoth is a win condition, and on turn 4 you can do something like Dreadsteed + double Sacrificial Pact to regain health and get 3 Dreadsteeds queued up for N'Zoth.

I plan on making a Handlock deck if the Giants aren't dead, and putting Dreadsteed + N'Zoth in it. The idea would just be that N'Zoth is a win condition, and on turn 4 you can do something like Dreadsteed + double Sacrificial Pact to regain health and get 3 Dreadsteeds queued up for N'Zoth.

Without some new synergy cards in the Old Gods set, Dreadsteed is pretty much dead. Losing Mal'Ganis, Voidcaller, Baron Rivendare, and KT just kills the deck. Even in Wild, I'd argue that Dreadsteed is probably the worst card to combo with N'Zoth. It's much better to get back Sludge Belchers, Shredders, and Boom Bots than it is to get Dreadsteeds.

ZealousD

I still think paladins will use it with sylvanas and tirion is going to run it and then just have an otherwise normal deck around it. It does not need modifiers like cthun, so just think of it as another legendary that resses two legenderaies that got played and died already

What if you draw him before Sylvanas or Tirion? Then he sits in your hand and does nothing. That's the worst thing that can happen to a card.

Without some new synergy cards in the Old Gods set, Dreadsteed is pretty much dead. Losing Mal'Ganis, Voidcaller, Baron Rivendare, and KT just kills the deck. Even in Wild, I'd argue that Dreadsteed is probably the worst card to combo with N'Zoth. It's much better to get back Sludge Belchers, Shredders, and Boom Bots than it is to get Dreadsteeds.
N'Zoth could bring back 6 Dreadsteeds that you built up over time, though. I think it's an interesting idea, and Handlock is slow enough that it could work. I think 6 board damage that can't be stopped every turn is appealing as a win condition, personally. N'Zoth fulfills Rivendare and KT on his own. Yeah, losing Mal'Ganis is big.

What if you draw him before Sylvanas or Tirion? Then he sits in your hand and does nothing. That's the worst thing that can happen to a card.
Yeah, you need more than just two. With the Dreadsteed example, I can at least use Sense Demons...which is a terrible card.

Apathy

But at the end of the day that's what draws and card games are about, every so often you'll get a game when those cards you needed didn't come out. Sometimes you don't draw perfectly and you play with what you got. Hell you will have to drop it cause otherwise you have nothing in play and it will just so happen to be the next two cards would have been sylvanas and tirion.

N'Zoth could bring back 6 Dreadsteeds that you built up over time, though. I think it's an interesting idea, and Handlock is slow enough that it could work. I think 6 board damage that can't be stopped every turn is appealing as a win condition, personally. N'Zoth fulfills Rivendare and KT on his own. Yeah, losing Mal'Ganis is big.

Yeah, you need more than just two. With the Dreadsteed example, I can at least use Sense Demons...which is a terrible card.

At max it's ressing 6 cards, build a deck with sylvanas, tirion, and 4 other death rattle cards then if you want to maximize what is going to be pulled up.

ZealousD

Dreadsteed is a bad card for Handlock. You need early tempo to establish some board control before taking the huge tempo hit of dropping Dreadsteed. The best Dreadsteed deck I ever played was essentially a midrange demon-zoo. If you play N'Zoth for Dreadsteeds it might be better to put it in some kind of Reno deck with other deathrattles.

Dreadsteed is a bad card for Handlock. You need early tempo to establish some board control before taking the huge tempo hit of dropping Dreadsteed. The best Dreadsteed deck I ever played was essentially a midrange demon-zoo. If you play N'Zoth for Dreadsteeds it might be better to put it in some kind of Reno deck with other deathrattles.

In that deck, Dreadsteed could die a whole bunch of times before you play N'Zoth and then block you from getting bigger minions back when you do play N'Zoth. Dreadsteed has anti-synergy in an N'Zoth deck.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
N'zoth belongs with Tirion in Control Paladin.

Warlock has better legendaries to use than N'zoth.

Apathy

btw I really like that druid card. You can play it on anything but get a reward of a free card draw if on a beast.

In that deck, Dreadsteed could die a whole bunch of times before you play N'Zoth and then block you from getting bigger minions back when you do play N'Zoth. Dreadsteed has anti-synergy in an N'Zoth deck.
Dreadsteed is anti-synergy with N'Zoth if you have competing Deathrattles, but I think it could be interesting if it was the only Deathrattle you are abusing.

What's the point of getting rank 20 anyways? Haven't touched ranked in forever
You get a special card back for the month. It cannot be gotten any other way (which sucks for people who came in late, like me).

Yeah, I've seen Dahbomb make that deck. I don't think it will work as well with Voidcallers leaving.

Dahbomb

Deck I was playing wasn't Handlock. Handlock uses Twilight Drakes and Mountain Giants to take advantage of large hand sizes, the Dreadsteed deck is more of a control attrition Warlock deck ft. Dreadsteed. You can also play the more Midrange variant, I don't like that because it's just a weaker version of the available Demon Zoolock deck.

Nzoth is just ONE duplication method for Dreadsteed... Baron and KT provided two options in the deck. That's twice as much reliability. They need at least one more duplication method in the game for Dreadsteed to start seeing some viability.

Moonlight

Banned
I think five assignable damage per turn isn't that big of a 'finisher', though. At least, it seems really slow to me. And the way it works means that even if there's a Mal'Ganis-esque minion that gives a persistent buff to demons, you'd need to play that the turn before you play N'Zoth since he'd fill your board (and costs 10 mana anyways), which gives your opponent two turns to deal with it.

And flooding your board with Dreadsteeds can sometimes be a bad thing, anyways.

Deck I was playing wasn't Handlock. Handlock uses Twilight Drakes and Mountain Giants to take advantage of large hand sizes, the Dreadsteed is more of a control attrition Warlock deck ft. Dreadsteed.

Nzoth is just ONE duplication method for Dreadsteed... Baron and KT provided two options in the deck. That's twice as much reliability. They need at least one more duplication method in the game for Dreadsteed to start seeing some viability.
I mean I saw you use Dreadlock, and every match was a struggle.

You also used Handlock, but that was against my Zoo deck, and it didn't have Dreadsteeds.

I think five assignable damage per turn isn't that big of a 'finisher', though. At least, it seems really slow to me. And the way it works means that even if there's a Mal'Ganis-esque minion that gives a persistent buff to demons, you'd need to play that the turn before you play N'Zoth since he'd fill your board (and costs 10 mana anyways), which gives your opponent two turns to deal with it.

And flooding your board with Dreadsteeds can sometimes be a bad thing, anyways.
Once N'Zoth dies, you can play other stuff.

Moonlight

Banned
Starting to get extra salty about DF. This paladin just drew 5 from the first one and 6 from the 2nd one.
Don't know how to fix that card at this point while still maintaining the flavour. I thought maybe 'draw cards equal to the ones you played this turn' might work but honestly that's still insane, and probably better in some situations. Maybe just remove it and make it Solemn Vigil.

Tacitus_

Don't know how to fix that card at this point while still maintaining the flavour. I thought maybe 'draw cards equal to the ones you played this turn' might work but honestly that's still insane, and probably better in some situations. Maybe just remove it and make it Solemn Vigil.

zz5af1f40b.jpg

Kill it dead. It was "ok" when aggressive paladins were so shitty they needed that leg up, but with actual quality cards it's just stupid.

Top Bottom